New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Where to post a rant/cautionary essay based largely on observations in one subforum?

So, I've noticed a particular trend in arguments, mostly in the Roleplaying and 3.5 forums (because I frequent those the most), and I'd like to start a thread about why it's a bad idea and counterproductive and what-not. However, I'm not sure whether it belongs in one of those forums, or somewhere more general, and if so where. (Specifically, it's the annoying habit of saying "[citation needed]" to claims one considers controversial, like some kind of power-drunk wikipedia editor.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Where to post a rant/cautionary essay based largely on observations in one subfor

My best guess would be Friendly Banter. Of course, your rant would need to conform to forum rules or else you'll make at least one member of the mod squad unhappy.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Where to post a rant/cautionary essay based largely on observations in one subfor

I would advise against posting such a "rant/cautionary essay" anywhere, as it is likely to lead to a flame war. Stating opinions as facts followed by "[citation needed]" is a joke, as it turns out. I personally use it pretty regularly (perhaps more than I should) when writing online opinion pieces, and it always gets a laugh.

Writing a cautionary essay is unlikely to sway the opinions of people that you're attacking, especially since they aren't doing anything inherently wrong. How many people have ranted and raved about how asinine "lol"is? That and you've essentially already flamed them as acting like "some kind of power-drunk wikipedia [sic] editor".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I dunno if 'attacking' is the right word. It depends on how the essay is written.

I understand what he's objecting to, the idea that you can dismiss someone's claims in an argument by saying "oh yeah? Well, bring me detailed statistics proving your point, otherwise it's invalid." I've seen this happen a lot in internet conversations about politics, but less so with rpg stuff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlayItLoud View Post
    Stating opinions as facts followed by "[citation needed]" is a joke, as it turns out. I personally use it pretty regularly (perhaps more than I should) when writing online opinion pieces, and it always gets a laugh.
    The odd thing is that, in the cases I've observed, it's stopped being a joke and started being a nasty way to slam someone.

For example, someone will say "in my experience, people tend to react in such-and-such a way to this-or-that", and someone will reply tersely "[citation needed]", as a way to shut them down.

That and you've essentially already flamed them as acting like "some kind of power-drunk wikipedia [sic] editor".
    Ugh, I suppose so. Irony, my old enemy, we meet again!

Quote Originally Posted by kumada View Post
    I dunno if 'attacking' is the right word. It depends on how the essay is written.

I understand what he's objecting to, the idea that you can dismiss someone's claims in an argument by saying "oh yeah? Well, bring me detailed statistics proving your point, otherwise it's invalid." I've seen this happen a lot in internet conversations about politics, but less so with rpg stuff.
    I try to avoid political discussions

And yes, despite the frustration against the practice in the first post, I would try to avoid making things worse.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If it makes you feel any better, I only use [citation needed] as a kind of tongue-in-cheek way of asking for a specific rules quote when someone is actually highlighting or explaining a game rule, that I'm unfamiliar with or have forgotten.

I'd never, ever use it as a means to dismiss an opinion or anything else non-provable. That's just rude.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-28 at 07:14 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    The odd thing is that, in the cases I've observed, it's stopped being a joke and started being a nasty way to slam someone.
    I doubt that a rant thread would affect anyone who's using it to be rude. The only direct way to solve the problem would be to report any and all instances where you think the person asking for a citation is being nasty (be sure to explain why you think so in your report) and let the mods sort it out.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    I doubt that a rant thread would affect anyone who's using it to be rude. The only direct way to solve the problem would be to report any and all instances where you think the person asking for a citation is being nasty (be sure to explain why you think so in your report) and let the mods sort it out.
    Hmm, you may be right at that.

Good to get these opinions, anyway, before diving in.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

We would really prefer that you didn't post this anywhere. Ranting about something people are doing is counter to the spirit and rules of the community. You are not entitled to tell people what they can and can't do on these forums.

If you find it rude, and don't think they are doing it deliberately, you may wish to talk to them to politely explain why you feel it was rude. If you feel that they are doing it deliberately to provoke you, then report it with a full explanation of why, and we will investigate further.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak