Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Heart of the Dragon (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Not the naming convention, the Glorification of Hierarchy. If you're good, you'll have people who respect you. If you're not, you'll have an early grave or people who look out for you. Having to formalize it is silly, and it's one of those Atlantean ideals that just don't hold that well.

Or do you mean they recognized themselves as powerful and idealized, and name themselves accordingly? I admittedly don't really calculate in changing your shadow name.
    SiuiS, have you read Romance of the Three Kingdoms?
    The hierarchy in this case is Confucian, not Atlantean. And uh, I have to be sort of careful here because Confucianism is considered borderline between a real-world religion and a philosophy. Just, go wiki the characters and what values they're supposed to represent in Asian fiction, it should track pretty closely with their descriptions here.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    SiuiS, have you read Romance of the Three Kingdoms?
    The hierarchy in this case is Confucian, not Atlantean. And uh, I have to be sort of careful here because Confucianism is considered borderline between a real-world religion and a philosophy. Just, go wiki the characters and what values they're supposed to represent in Asian fiction, it should track pretty closely with their descriptions here.
    I am familiar with the story. I also have a couple of Confucian books around. You must understand that when I talk about how I would interact with them, it's a character thing.

Why would sorcerers band together and as one of their tenets uphold hierarchy (specifically a buzzword for Free Council, remember!) I'd not because it's one of the main virtues of wizard society? Even the Confucian sense of proper hierarchy is kinda lame, which is dangerous water to tread sice it's almost the basis for Arrow loyalty.
    "No malice. No remorse."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Why would sorcerers band together and as one of their tenets uphold hierarchy (specifically a buzzword for Free Council, remember!)
    Here's a few reasons. This is a non-exhaustive list
    1) Because they logically analyzed the situation and thought it was the best, safest way to deal with magic.
    2) It matches with their society before awakening and they were comfortable with it.
    3) It matches with their society before awakening and allows them to have prestige in that society.
    4) It matches with the values of others already awakened and allows them to have prestige in their new society.
    5) It weeds out certain types of people who are uncomfortable with it, thus serving as an effective device to limit their members to those who share their beliefs.
    6) It confers a stable power status quo, which is itself a logically useful thing that frees up time to devote to other activities like magical research.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a few reasons. This is a non-exhaustive list
    1) Because they logically analyzed the situation and thought it was the best, safest way to deal with magic.
    2) It matches with their society before awakening and they were comfortable with it.
    3) It matches with their society before awakening and allows them to have prestige in that society.
    4) It matches with the values of others already awakened and allows them to have prestige in their new society.
    5) It weeds out certain types of people who are uncomfortable with it, thus serving as an effective device to limit their members to those who share their beliefs.
    6) It confers a stable power status quo, which is itself a logically useful thing that frees up time to devote to other activities like magical research.
    Rather than my original point by point, tongue in cheek response, I want to know why an off-hand response of my initial thoughts requires setting me straight before continuing? This has been happening with more and more frequency for about a month.
    "No malice. No remorse."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Rather than my original point by point, tongue in cheek response, I want to know why an off-hand response of my initial thoughts requires setting me straight before continuing? This has been happening with more and more frequency for about a month.
    I'm not sure in general, if you think there's a trend, we'll have to think about why. In this case, I felt like your comments had an undertone of accusing me of bad writing and I think I got a touch defensive.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure in general, if you think there's a trend, we'll have to think about why. In this case, I felt like your comments had an undertone of accusing me of bad writing and I think I got a touch defensive.
    Oh, wow. Okay, yes I can see that. It wasn't anything close to intentional though.

Do you think it might have to do with the built-up antagonism me and Thanqol had/have going? What cues gave you that impression? Normally I'd stick to my usual modes of communication but if they're universally failing, I need to figure out something that comes naturally and doesn't involve choking on fetlock. Like that. Does that make sense? Too irreverent? Unclear? GAH! >_<;
    "No malice. No remorse."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, wow. Okay, yes I can see that. It wasn't anything close to intentional though.

Do you think it might have to do with the built-up antagonism me and Thanqol had/have going? What cues gave you that impression? Normally I'd stick to my usual modes of communication but if they're universally failing, I need to figure out something that comes naturally and doesn't involve choking on fetlock. Like that. Does that make sense? Too irreverent? Unclear? GAH! >_<;
    Well, I think that any antagonism between you and Thanqol would contribute to the perception of a trend. I probably side with Thanqol a fair amount because I generally consider him an expert on the game rules, so that likely contributes as well.

I don't generally mind that you're incoherent at times, that doesn't bother me. It's possible that I'm more worried about making this Mage game good than I was in Changeling, which felt more natural to me as I was writing, and therefore I'm being more sensitive in this context. I do think you tend to take a very conclusive tone in your comments, even when you're conjecturing or aren't sure about your facts, which tends to provoke a strong response from me if I think you're wrong.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a purposeful distinction between conclusive and
    Sure-sounding, or is that me reading in to things?

I fully support backing the experienced, clear-speaking and charismatic individual in an argument or debate based on their area of expertise, so no hard feelings.
    "No malice. No remorse."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

10,000 Corridors

Guardians of the Veil cabal.

"The wanderer must show her worth, and upon doing so, she shall find the proper path."

The 10,000 Corridors as a group find that they are not frequently called upon in Hong Kong. The Seers have done an excellent job preventing paradox and keeping the incursions of the abyss to a minimum. Thus, they find themselves in an odd position. They maintain to all members of the Pentacle that the order promoted by Mammon is a distortion, that wisdom and prudence are the proper measure of a Mage, and that the Guardians take it as their solemn duty to protect the society of all Mages. Yet they have not seen fit to take an active hand against the established order, not even with the arrival of several additional Mages to the city.

Justin Cheng Male Obrimos Guardian of the Veil

Justin appears to be about 30, a young Chinese man in his physical prime but otherwise of no particular note. Neither wealthy nor poor. Not especially tall or short, nor especially thin or fat. He speaks calmly and comes across as a man that does not sweat the small things. He presents the public face for the Guardians and has never failed to show up in person when the Guardians are expected.

Shau Yan Female ?? Guardian of the Veil

Shau Yan generally appears to be a scholar. She has never been seen without a book, usually some treatise on history or philosophy. Nothing disapproved of by The Party, of course. In appearance, she is a bit below average height, with her long hair in an extended braid that hangs to her belt and with thick black-rimmed glasses adorning her forehead. Anyone that has spoken with her gets the sense that she would much rather be reading than dealing with another human. Justin has been shown to defer to her opinion when she does choose to engage in a debate, however.

Wong Liang Male ?? Guardian of the Veil

This man sometimes accompanies Justin and Shau. He is a squat Chinese man who keeps his hair in an old style with a rat tail that extends some length, although he usually wraps it around his neck or under a hat. He also has a long beard and mustache. He is not know to speak and usually looks generally stern while not really doing much of anything when he's seen in public at all.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-27 at 02:35 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

When engaged in a territory without much call for being a Guardian, they must have an interesting time of things. Would it be politic to, say, contact the ten thousand corridors, and alert them to the fact that you will be attempting a dangerous working which may involve paradox, as a sort of insurance? "Paramedics are on stand-by" kind of thing? Or would they just attempt to stop you from doing the working?

Also, I see why Thanqol has so many Mage books. I have been going through Summoners more in order, and it's darn inspiring. I may use some of its flavor for Flouresce's justifications for his practice. Not actual mechanics, but a sense of connections and correlations between things involving Spirit and the Supernal.
    "No malice. No remorse."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Would it be politic to, say, contact the ten thousand corridors, and alert them to the fact that you will be attempting a dangerous working which may involve paradox, as a sort of insurance? "Paramedics are on stand-by" kind of thing? Or would they just attempt to stop you from doing the working?
    It would be rather like contacting the Warhammer 40k Space Marines and letting them know you're planning to do some xeno-experiments, but would they like to stop by for tea around 4:00ish?

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I see why Thanqol has so many Mage books. I have been going through Summoners more in order, and it's darn inspiring. I may use some of its flavor for Flouresce's justifications for his practice. Not actual mechanics, but a sense of connections and correlations between things involving Spirit and the Supernal.
    I know, right? I've been reading Mysterium recently and it fills me with awesome ideas.

It would be rather like contacting the Warhammer 40k Space Marines and letting them know you're planning to do some xeno-experiments, but would they like to stop by for tea around 4:00ish?
    No, no, no, the Guardians of the Veil aren't Banishers and their objective isn't to stop Mages doing Mage stuff. Their objective is to make sure that magic is used safely and responsibly and for the right ends.

They'll have a conversation with you, try to work out alternatives that don't involve magic, and in the end if they agree that this is a thing you gotta do they'll advise you on how to mitigate the worst of it. Or they'll say, "Wait, you care enough about killing this Seer to put together this huge Vulgar spell, but you're also wise enough to come to us first? Man, don't worry about it. We'll whack him for you. Just give us a week."

Remember, they sin so you don't have to. If some respectable Mage is being driven to desperation they're duty bound to do something about it. In an ideal world everyone else is free to be pure philosopher kings because the bad stuff all dies in the shadows.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

That's fair. I suspect there's a lot of cross contamination from the seers in the "we will filing kill you" department as far as paradox is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I know, right? I've been reading Mysterium recently and it fills me with awesome ideas.
    It's insane. I think another book or two and even my trepidation will evaporate.

No, no, no, the Guardians of the Veil aren't Banishers and their objective isn't to stop Mages doing Mage stuff. Their objective is to make sure that magic is used safely and responsibly and for the right ends.

They'll have a conversation with you, try to work out alternatives that don't involve magic, and in the end if they agree that this is a thing you gotta do they'll advise you on how to mitigate the worst of it. Or they'll say, "Wait, you care enough about killing this Seer to put together this huge Vulgar spell, but you're also wise enough to come to us first? Man, don't worry about it. We'll whack him for you. Just give us a week."

Remember, they sin so you don't have to. If some respectable Mage is being driven to desperation they're duty bound to do something about it. In an ideal world everyone else is free to be pure philosopher kings because the bad stuff all dies in the shadows.
    Sounds legit. I think the ten thousand themselves are probably what info he was giving me though. What I would know from being in the area.
    Still, worth having off expectations. Adds spice when things go awry.
    "No malice. No remorse."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds legit. I think the ten thousand themselves are probably what info he was giving me though. What I would know from being in the area.
    Still, worth having off expectations. Adds spice when things go awry.
    Actually no, I was speaking off the cuff with my Warhammer 40k response. I think Thanqol is absolutely right about how the guardians would act and I misrepresented them. It's nice to have an experienced person looking over my stuff.

That said, this particular team of guardians does have very few chances to make themselves appear useful, so they could be a little...over zealous from time to time.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

I need to schedule my Mage reading time better. I'm falling behind.

Eeeyup

It's insane. I think another book or two and even my trepidation will evaporate.
    Again, really need to get back to reading Mage. Darn work and drawing practice, and stuff, keeping me away...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Again, really need to get back to reading Mage. Darn work and drawing practice, and stuff, keeping me away...
    Stop and reverse it. What kind of chronicle do you want to run? The get those books.

I'm doing "individual against magical conspiracies and why he should care" so ye core book, Seers of the throne, as generic understanding of magic (time of mysteries would be good but I don't have it yet) are what I shoul have started with.

Globe trotting has certain needs. Magic politics has other needs. Seers and conspiracies and legacies and scelesti have different requirements. Wisdom in a den of madness and sin has still other needs.

Focus makes study easier, because en a few pages of info (five minutes reading) get plugged into your mind and turned over and shaped instead of just drunk and pissed out by an inundated mind. I couldn't make use of the consuming information until now, because I had no framework for it. Etc.
    "No malice. No remorse."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I have decided, after much deliberation, to get rid of my computer dots. They're superfluous to the character and a fragment of an outdated character design. I have replaced them with Academics and Investigation dots. This also serves to emphasise the Vulcan as an art critic and Holmes-style bored intellectual.

Oh, one other thought. It's mentioned that Himitsu likes Vulcan's manga - thing is, I always imagined that Vulcan was very conservative with allowing her name to be associated with it. She always gave all the credit and celebrity to her brother, and after becoming a Mage would be very, very conservative with giving out that information because that's the highway to blackmail city.

It's still possible for him to find out about it if he did some digging into her past (and she does share an apartment with her brother still), but that's something of a faux pas in Awakened society.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-02 at 07:04 AM.
    To improve is to change

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, one other thought. It's mentioned that Himitsu likes Vulcan's manga - thing is, I always imagined that Vulcan was very conservative with allowing her name to be associated with it. She always gave all the credit and celebrity to her brother, and after becoming a Mage would be very, very conservative with giving out that information because that's the highway to blackmail city.

It's still possible for him to find out about it if he did some digging into her past (and she does share an apartment with her brother still), but that's something of a faux pas in Awakened society.
    If you'd prefer, they could simply have expressed a similar enjoyment of the manga and gotten along in that regard without Himitsu attributing it to Vulcan. Perhaps he even recommended that Vulcan read it, never knowing that she was the author.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

If you'd prefer, they could simply have expressed a similar enjoyment of the manga and gotten along in that regard without Himitsu attributing it to Vulcan. Perhaps he even recommended that Vulcan read it, never knowing that she was the author.
    Entirely reasonable.

Also going to change some thematics relating to the magical tools and nimbus later as future tech dissolved as a theme with the computer dots. WW2 seems a far more relevant and moving theme.
    To improve is to change

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to hesitantly commit myself to a start date for IC before the New Year. Because there's nothing like a public commitment to actually cause one to get something finished up.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to hesitantly commit myself to a start date for IC before the New Year. Because there's nothing like a public commitment to actually cause one to get something finished up.
    Sounds good. I need to re-stretch my Mara-thinking muscles, and get out her opinions on some of the cabals.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Sounds good. I need to re-stretch my Mara-thinking muscles, and get out her opinions on some of the cabals.
    Makes sense. Actually? Something I've never pulled off; the cabal. Every NPC cabal has a theme, a name, directives. How about us? The Mysterium apparently had codified 5 roles for cabal members and 5 general rules of etiquette each cabal the world over is known for, overtly or behind closed doors. The leat we could do is figure a unified theme.

I expect it would be predominantly a Flouresce/Mara thig at first, because Vulcan is a consultant mostly. She's got too muc personal force to not really have an effect though. Any ideas?

Anarion, best of luck, relax, don't worry about us and get some rest in between hectic schooling. We'll keep, promise.
    "No malice. No remorse."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Makes sense. Actually? Something I've never pulled off; the cabal. Every NPC cabal has a theme, a name, directives. How about us? The Mysterium apparently had codified 5 roles for cabal members and 5 general rules of etiquette each cabal the world over is known for, overtly or behind closed doors. The leat we could do is figure a unified theme.

I expect it would be predominantly a Flouresce/Mara thig at first, because Vulcan is a consultant mostly. She's got too muc personal force to not really have an effect though. Any ideas?
    The problem with my contribution to this is I've still only got the vaguest idea of what Fluorescent does, wants, or plans to do. Your history section is still blank and you've somehow got status in the Adamantine Arrow and the Free Council. I don't know what your themes are, let alone how to find parallels with mine.

Mara's in a bit of a spot where she's motivated primarily by vengeance and doesn't have any interesting (as far as Vulcan's concerned) philosophical concepts behind her. She doesn't even have a coherent enough internal position have a problem about working with the Agents of the Lie if it helps her get revenge. This means Vulcan thinks Mara is an idiot and more a slave than any Seer, but she doesn't feel inclined to help her stop being a slave because that'd weaken her own position.

Vulcan's philosophy is about finding freedom from abstract thought and mental chains by constant appeals to the lowest, most concrete instincts and desires. This is why she's a Seer - because transactionally, it's the best result for her. What she's asked to give up in higher ideals is acceptable in terms of the base gratification she gains, and in the process it frees her from having to obey higher moral codes. The tension comes from her genuine passion and drive to create and lean, which clashes with parasitic and lazy Seer philosophy. The Mysterium fits her much better as an Order, and that's going to be an ongoing draw.

Also

Puissance: chosen physical skill becomes a rote action for a number of rolls equal to successes. ????+medicine+Life (X dice)
    What book is this from? Because it looks a lot like one of those incredibly broken spells that were made by one of those guys who doesn't understand mechanics.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-03 at 02:38 AM.
    To improve is to change

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Thanqol, here's something I've been chewing on in very general terms. Mammon prizes corporate culture and the power of the dollar. How do you view them dealing with people that appear to hold their values but ultimately aren't the proper fit for their organization? Do they "fire" people? Do they try to change them? Do they not care as long as some minimum level of contribution is being met? I see several potentially competing Seer values here, and I'm not even certain that Mammon as a group has a policy in this regard. They might just allow the inferiors to backstab the less than ideal superior and be done with it.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with my contribution to this is I've still only got the vaguest idea of what Fluorescent does, wants, or plans to do. Your history section is still blank and you've somehow got status in the Adamantine Arrow and the Free Council. I don't know what your themes are, let alone how to find parallels with mine.
    Thank you for reminding me about history. I should distill my thoughts on the matter.

I'd like to point out (possibly erroneously) that I recall one of the core book examples being a character with status in two separate orders. I believe it functions like Mantle and Goodwill with changeling courts.

I also think that this may be an issue that cuts deeper than just indistinguishable themes. Aside from the force of her/your personality, I cannot see our two characters ever being more than not-kill-on-sight buddies. Need character growth first.

What book is this from? Because it looks a lot like one of those incredibly broken spells that were made by one of those guys who doesn't understand mechanics.
    One of the Order books I think. Probably Mysterium? I recall only getting it because that's where the rote was listed, and I wanted to read the actual spell before picking it just in case it was, indeed, broken. It's objectively about on par with similar fate spells, but I think one of those is on your "do not abuse his rote please" list. I'll check for you.
    "No malice. No remorse."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Thanqol, here's something I've been chewing on in very general terms. Mammon prizes corporate culture and the power of the dollar. How do you view them dealing with people that appear to hold their values but ultimately aren't the proper fit for their organization? Do they "fire" people? Do they try to change them? Do they not care as long as some minimum level of contribution is being met? I see several potentially competing Seer values here, and I'm not even certain that Mammon as a group has a policy in this regard. They might just allow the inferiors to backstab the less than ideal superior and be done with it.
    There's an entire segment in Seers of the Throne about superiors setting up fake positions to herd underlings into. I totally see an "Office of Corporate-Social Responsibility" existing for the sole purpose of herding bleeding heart Mammon Seers into areas that benefit the Ministry while being relatively bloodless. Standing instructions there would be to get death grips on the finances of as many aid organisations as possible so they could starve charities that promote Pentacle ideals and promote Seer ones. Or whatever.

There are so many uses for a Mage that it's worth being flexible around their less than ideal characteristics as long as they're nominally on your side. There does come a point where they're more trouble than it's worth, but in general it's better to reassign them than kill them.

That's assuming a situation with perfect knowledge and communication, mind. Add in Mystery Commands, paranoia, Guardian of the Veil infiltrators and underlings desperate for promotion and violent solutions become more common.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-03 at 03:06 AM.
    To improve is to change

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for reminding me about history. I should distill my thoughts on the matter.

I'd like to point out (possibly erroneously) that I recall one of the core book examples being a character with status in two separate orders. I believe it functions like Mantle and Goodwill with changeling courts.
    What you'd want is Allies (Free Council) rather than Status. It discusses the possibility but says that it's an incredibly fragile and probably short-term thing.

I also think that this may be an issue that cuts deeper than just indistinguishable themes. Aside from the force of her/your personality, I cannot see our two characters ever being more than not-kill-on-sight buddies. Need character growth first.
    I don't know who your character is, so I can't say if I would want to kill on sight. If you've made a character who wants to kill Vulcan on sight that's a serious problem.

One of the Order books I think. Probably Mysterium? I recall only getting it because that's where the rote was listed, and I wanted to read the actual spell before picking it just in case it was, indeed, broken. It's objectively about on par with similar fate spells, but I think one of those is on your "do not abuse his rote please" list. I'll check for you.
    *checks* Yes, it's Mysterium and yes, I think it's stupidly effective for it's level and would disallow it in any game I ran.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-03 at 03:10 AM.
    To improve is to change

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Opinions Et Al:

The Council of Shu-Han

"Surely a true scholar earns exaltation by his deeds and knowledge, not by the mere pursuit of them? Success must be a precondition for reverence, otherwise we must honour frauds and failures for their flawed attempts - oh, it's midnight? Same time again next week?"

Vulcan is very concerned about the Council. On one hand, they're some of the few people in this city who have priorities that aren't completely delusional or outright dull. On the other hand, she can't see a meaningful distinction between them and the Throne. Two hierarchical, authoritarian cults gathering magical knowledge - one just happens to be better funded and with more room for advancement than the other. While Vulcan would be very drawn to the Mysterium as an Order if their philosophies were laid out before her, the Council constantly entangles the Order's positions with their own individual priorities to create something that Vulcan regards as vaguely sad and delusional.

However, Vulcan has ties of guanxi to the Council and regularly attends the Mysterium's meetings and discussions. They're her social circle, and even though she thinks they're wrong they're the people she talks to. A network of favours, shared knowledge, and common ideals has built a certain level of respect between them. Vulcan's even quietly tipped the Council off once or twice when the Composer was planning to destroy certain valuable arcane lore.

10,000 Corridors

"Even they don't know why they're here."

Empty wastes of time, upholding irrelevant ideals that paralyse them with indecision. Vulcan considers them gutless slaves to their own senseless set of values and worshippers of an abhorrent philosophy. The contradiction of their existence is that merely by being here they lower the tone of the debate, which undermines their goal of producing a harmonious Awakened society.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-03 at 03:20 AM.
    To improve is to change

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

If you've made a character who wants to kill Vulcan on sight that's a serious problem.
    I'd just like to agree with this. I'd be very pleased if you all can avoid backstabbing each other for at least the first 10 pages of the IC thread.

*checks* Yes, it's Mysterium and yes, I think it's stupidly effective for it's level and would disallow it in any game I ran.
    I don't have that book, so could I get more details? Like, does it cost mana or have a super short duration?

I'm comparing it to the Perfect Timing rote from core, which I consider to be a very strong spell. That costs 1 mana and gives you extra dice on a single roll equal to your successes when you cast the spell, and can apply to anything except a spell.

Making something a rote action can easily give you more extra dice than you would get from rolling Perfect Timing and this spell apparently applies to multiple future rolls, so it should be at least as costly as Perfect Timing, if not significantly more so.

Opinions Et Al:

The Council of Shu-Han
    Vulcan's even quietly tipped the Council off once or twice when the Composer was planning to destroy certain valuable arcane lore.
    Yay, emergent phenomena!

10,000 Corridors

"Even they don't know why they're here."

Empty wastes of time, upholding irrelevant ideals that paralyse them with indecision. Vulcan considers them gutless slaves to their own senseless set of values and worshippers of an abhorrent philosophy. The contradiction of their existence is that merely by being here they lower the tone of the debate, which undermines their goal of producing a harmonious Awakened society.
    ...Are you just talking about the Guardians of the Veil in general?

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have that book, so could I get more details? Like, does it cost mana or have a super short duration?
    It lasts for a number of rolls 'equal to successes on the activation roll'.

Covert. No mana cost.

That's stupid broken. Especially if combined with other magic.

I'm comparing it to the Perfect Timing rote from core, which I consider to be a very strong spell. That costs 1 mana and gives you extra dice on a single roll equal to your successes when you cast the spell, and can apply to anything except a spell.
    I'm comparing it to Honing the Form, which it is a straight upgrade to, at a lower level.

...Are you just talking about the Guardians of the Veil in general?
    These guys in particular. Vulcan can imagine a situation where the Guardians could be very effective - like Detroit. Gee, it sure would be great if there were more Guardians somewhere that needed them. Like Detroit. And not here.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-03 at 04:26 AM.
    To improve is to change