Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Heart of the Dragon (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    One more clarification - the OP says that sites removed from the masses carry a 1 dot penalty. Does this apply to any Sanctum/Hallow, or just to ones that are supposed to be less in the thick of the city?
    It's intentionally discretionary. A penthouse apartment in a highrise might cost extra, even if it's in the heart of downtown. On the other hand, a house that you're sharing with three families won't cost extra, even if it's on the outskirts of the city proper. It's about whether you have privacy and quiet or not.
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Character sheet is mostly there, but I'm stumped on my last specialty. I'm torn between Empathy, Persuasion, Socialize and Subterfuge but I'm not sure what a specialty for any of those might be. I can't seem to put words to a specific thing in those categories that would qualify. Any thoughts?
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    It's intentionally discretionary. A penthouse apartment in a highrise might cost extra, even if it's in the heart of downtown. On the other hand, a house that you're sharing with three families won't cost extra, even if it's on the outskirts of the city proper. It's about whether you have privacy and quiet or not.
    What value, then, is having a Sanctum that doesn't give you privacy? The entire point of taking the Sanctum merit in the first place is so that you have a room where you can perform magic without Sleepers randomly blundering in. If a non-surcharged Sanctum doesn't give you more protection than a standard apartment purchased with Resources why have one in the first place?

EDIT: On the topic, I'm not in favour of having a big group sanctum in this game.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-29 at 01:03 AM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Character sheet is mostly there, but I'm stumped on my last specialty. I'm torn between Empathy, Persuasion, Socialize and Subterfuge but I'm not sure what a specialty for any of those might be. I can't seem to put words to a specific thing in those categories that would qualify. Any thoughts?
    empathy specialties could be for particular emotions. Say empathy (deceit) might let you pick up when someone is lying better, or empathy (anger) might let you realize when someone is mad and trying to hide it.

Persuasion could be on a particular topic, or a style of argument. Persuasion (logic) or persuasion (emotional appeals) for example.

Socialize would be a particular context. E.g. socialize (grand galloping gala)

Subterfuge could be a style or a particular type of deceit. E.g. subterfuge (lying) or subterfuge (3-man confidence cons).

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    What value, then, is having a Sanctum that doesn't give you privacy? The entire point of taking the Sanctum merit in the first place is so that you have a room where you can perform magic without Sleepers randomly blundering in. If a non-surcharged Sanctum doesn't give you more protection than a standard apartment purchased with Resources why have one in the first place?

EDIT: On the topic, I'm not in favour of having a big group sanctum in this game.
    Resources get an extra charge too. If you'd like, a sanctum might be treated as hot-bunking, so if you pay the cheaper price, you get privacy but only during certain times of the day when the people you're sharing with are out. I wanted to make it a little less cut and dry than just "space costs an extra dot of sanctum/resources"
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Resources get an extra charge too. If you'd like, a sanctum might be treated as hot-bunking, so if you pay the cheaper price, you get privacy but only during certain times of the day when the people you're sharing with are out. I wanted to make it a little less cut and dry than just "space costs an extra dot of sanctum/resources"
    I still don't understand what the purpose of the Sanctum merit is if it doesn't guarantee you a space free from Sleepers in which to practise magic.
    To improve is to change

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Incidentally, major Arcanum for Vulcan are Matter, Mind, Prime, Death in that order. Hopefully we won't triple up on anything.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-29 at 01:20 AM.
    To improve is to change

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I still don't understand what the purpose of the Sanctum merit is if it doesn't guarantee you a space free from Sleepers in which to practise magic.
    You can get privacy, it just costs an extra dot for the space. If you want to think of it as just a rule that sanctum costs extra, that's fine.

I would point out that in the description in the book it gives the example of "a warehouse might have sufficient space, but it might not be secure against unwanted visitors." So a sanctum in a crowded area could be a private space that's near a lot of foot traffic, so has a high chance of a drunk or a curious person wandering in. It could, as I mentioned, be a hot bunk apartment where you get it private but only at certain times. It might be a private space that draws attention, say because making it private stands out in a crowded area that otherwise has people everywhere.

Or you could pay an extra dot and just get a normal one.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

You can get privacy, it just costs an extra dot for the space. If you want to think of it as just a rule that sanctum costs extra, that's fine.
    Sanctum = pay XP to get a place with privacy.
    Without the privacy bit you are literally pouring XP down the drain.

I would point out that in the description in the book it gives the example of "a warehouse might have sufficient space, but it might not be secure against unwanted visitors."
    Aspect of Sanctum Security, and probably referring to dedicated burglars than random passer by

So a sanctum in a crowded area could be a private space that's near a lot of foot traffic, so has a high chance of a drunk or a curious person wandering in. It could, as I mentioned, be a hot bunk apartment where you get it private but only at certain times. It might be a private space that draws attention, say because making it private stands out in a crowded area that otherwise has people everywhere.

Or you could pay an extra dot and just get a normal one.
    I'm fine to accept Sanctum costs extra; in that situation, I just won't get one. I'll just store my libraries in the apartment I paid for with Resources.
    To improve is to change

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

You could also share a sanctum with another cabal if you wanted, and that would be regular price. Then you'd have privacy from sleepers, you'd just have to put up with that Obrimos who snores.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

empathy specialties could be for particular emotions. Say empathy (deceit) might let you pick up when someone is lying better, or empathy (anger) might let you realize when someone is mad and trying to hide it.
    Technicality: picking up lying is based specifically on subterfuge, not empathy.

I'm fine to accept Sanctum costs extra; in that situation, I just won't get one. I'll just store my libraries in the apartment I paid for with Resources.
    technicality: Library is specifically an Awakened merit attached to a Hallow.

Note that both of these may be misunderstandings on my part.
    Anyway; Mara, odds are after some thinking that Flouresce may also be an Arrow. Regardless, if you're willing to put points out we can combine sanctum and give Vulcan a place to lodge her books. I value privacy. Similar for the unnamed acanthus.
    "Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Incidentally, major Arcanum for Vulcan are Matter, Mind, Prime, Death in that order. Hopefully we won't triple up on anything.
    Mara is currently Mind 4, Space 2, Fate 1

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Anyway; Mara, odds are after some thinking that Flouresce may also be an Arrow. Regardless, if you're willing to put points out we can combine sanctum and give Vulcan a place to lodge her books. I value privacy. Similar for the unnamed acanthus.
    I think Vulcan will be having her own Sanctum from what Thanqol's said, which makes sense. Right now, I'm imagining the Sanctum dots Mara's spent as representing her pass to a sort of group Arrow safehouse. If you want in as part of that, I'm cool with us pooling dots.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I should mention that, since Vulcan is a Seer with the hidden luxury merit, the Seers certainly have no problem obtaining private places to hang out, in Hong Kong or anywhere else for that matter.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, Mind 4 has skewed my Rote selection a little. I'm currently reshuffling a 3-dot one, and wondering what sort of situations Multi-Tasking might prove useful for, i.e. if it would come up enough to benefit as a rote. Impostor and Psychic Assault are also on the table, though the first one is a bit more thematic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, Mind 4 has skewed my Rote selection a little. I'm currently reshuffling a 3-dot one, and wondering what sort of situations Multi-Tasking might prove useful for, i.e. if it would come up enough to benefit as a rote. Impostor and Psychic Assault are also on the table, though the first one is a bit more thematic.
    I don't see a huge advantage on that particular spell line as a rote. Since it's a ruling arcana for you it doesn't cost mana anyway, and it has a prolonged duration so you can cast it when you need it. Unless you're planning to apply advanced spell factors, it's effectively the same no matter how many successes you get on it.

Having said that, I definitely think multi-tasking is a useful spell, especially the 3-dot version, which potentially lets you make multiple simultaneous checks in a turn and cheat the action economy a little bit (although only for mental tasks).

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Had to do the base math three times to make sure I understood the scale at first. Wow. Some interesting insights come to the fore, during this. my usual characters are designe to survive early and advance quickly - despite this not being necessary. The more optimal layout is to have greater array of weaknesses because they are cheaper to fill in, but it conflicts wih my "try to always roll at least four dice" instinct.

Anarion, I am combining the attribute experience with the favored resistance attribute experience. Otherwise I wind up with ten extra in one side, five extra on the other, and two attributes that could both be increased if I had a full fifteen experience.

I also want to know if I can have a sanctum in a nightclub. Sanctum, hallow and resources all in one go, with the caveat that I don't actually now I. hong Kong had nightclubs. At all. It could theoretically also be combined with Mara's sanctum dot, seeing as the arrow moving in would just be a change of management. They'd commandeer the commas structure since inch a scenario basically prompts martial law, right?

Legacies. Legacy requires the appropriate path, or the appropriate order, or you could "invent" it yourself at gnosis 4. Is this correct? In that if a non Obrimos non Mysterium Mage wants to be a Thrice Great, they can through independent generation. Could I then teach this legacy without losing status amongst the Ladder? Or would they insist I somehow stole it and hate me forever, hey-do-a-Dougherty?

What is this new resonance? It's flavor? And the ley lines aren't, like, sacrosanct right? Prime 3 allows for the movement of ley lines to the mage's whims. If I were to create a hallow by commandeering the Dragon's Veins, would that be a Starry Stop Having Antiplot Ideas, or would it be a plot device?

Finally, Spirit 4, life one (or two), need an idea for a third arcanum. Probably life 2 now that I think about it, since whenever I can I'll e free running, climbin buildings, jumping roofs, and setting the eventual bone breaks. Prime is good, but I have focused on prime for the last six characters... Although getting it as a third ruling arcana would be pretty slick.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I also want to know if I can have a sanctum in a nightclub. Sanctum, hallow and resources all in one go, with the caveat that I don't actually now I. hong Kong had nightclubs. At all. It could theoretically also be combined with Mara's sanctum dot, seeing as the arrow moving in would just be a change of management. They'd commandeer the commas structure since inch a scenario basically prompts martial law, right?
    Curiously enough, I've been looking into this. Hong Kong does indeed have a lively night life, as you might expect from such a large city. The reason I've been looking into this is that Mara's teenage rebellion took the form of sneaking out to go clubbing with Sara pretty frequently, but I hadn't got around to that being relevant to mention yet. Sharing Sanctum dots there would actually make her really happy, and we could fluff it as some sort of Arrow-owned place, if Fluoresce does indeed wind up in the Arrow.

EDIT: And yeah Starry, I feel you on the whole character gen thing. I also tend to try to shore up weaknesses early, and doing it this way really drove home the XP tradeoff for different flat dot allocations. In some ways, I prefer this approach, because it gives the same maximums, but can also allow for more lower-level dots which is good because I tend to feel a little dot-starved in ordinary WoD char gen, trying to fit my concepts.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-10-29 at 08:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Anarion, I am combining the attribute experience with the favored resistance attribute experience. Otherwise I wind up with ten extra in one side, five extra on the other, and two attributes that could both be increased if I had a full fifteen experience.
    Sounds okay to me, though you are still putting the favored resistance attribute experience into increasing that attribute by 1 dot first, yes?

Yep, Hong Kong has a night life and you can certainly have a sanctum there.

Legacies. Legacy requires the appropriate path, or the appropriate order, or you could "invent" it yourself at gnosis 4. Is this correct? In that if a non Obrimos non Mysterium Mage wants to be a Thrice Great, they can through independent generation. Could I then teach this legacy without losing status amongst the Ladder? Or would they insist I somehow stole it and hate me forever, hey-do-a-Dougherty?
    Eh, I think order requirements on legacies are kinda stupid. Path makes more sense to me, but even then I mostly care about the arcana requirements and not so much about the rest. If you find the perfect legacy that matches all your actual magic but you're not a Mysterium Obrimos or whatever, bring it up and we'll make it work.

What is this new resonance? It's flavor? And the ley lines aren't, like, sacrosanct right? Prime 3 allows for the movement of ley lines to the mage's whims. If I were to create a hallow by commandeering the Dragon's Veins, would that be a Starry Stop Having Antiplot Ideas, or would it be a plot device?
    Copied from the OP
    It didn’t exactly have the flavor of hope, that would be asking too much, but it did have the flavor of release, of change and fresh plans.
    I'm not going to say more because I'm still not done with Book of Spirits (primarily on account of not reading any more of it in the past few days).

Prime 3 to mess with leylines isn't going to break the plot. It will likely earn you the ire of people that don't want them messed with (like the Arrow). High prime magic in general is going to make you one of the 10 or so people best equipped to figure out what's going on with them. Also, of course, leylines are interconnected, so messing with them is going to affect resonance flows and energy pretty broadly, so you could easily unleash, like, a freedom spirit and an oppression spirit and have them duking it out near where you were planning to do your magical experiments.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I think order requirements on legacies are kinda stupid. Path makes more sense to me, but even then I mostly care about the arcana requirements and not so much about the rest. If you find the perfect legacy that matches all your actual magic but you're not a Mysterium Obrimos or whatever, bring it up and we'll make it work.
    /word. I take the Order thing as trends rather than limitations. If you want a Legacy mentor then you can start looking in the listed order, and possibly have to concede something to those dudes to get it.

Anarion, on Sanctum:

Is it viable to have a two room garage+office on the bottom floor of some building somewhere with Sanctum 1 and fortify it with Matter magic? After all, if a Matter mage casts Plasticity and thumbs over the door lock whenever she goes through it then there's no way to open that door without a battering ram or another Matter Mage.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-29 at 09:40 PM.
    To improve is to change

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, have some reasons for Mara's name

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Is it viable to have a two room garage+office on the bottom floor of some building somewhere with Sanctum 1 and fortify it with Matter magic? After all, if a Matter mage casts Plasticity and thumbs over the door lock whenever she goes through it then there's no way to open that door without a battering ram or another Matter Mage.
    That's almost bigger than what you get for sanctum 1 under the regular rules. That would cost you sanctum 2 in Hong Kong for sure.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: I keep forgetting. The Dark Secret flaw. Could I have been an ex-free councilor? I know the status merit shows status in two orders with the implication o mixed loyalty, and possibly being a double agent. I am looking at having Flouresce being a free councilor, possibly involved in the train incident (ignoring for now that it may not have been a free council thing at all), who was getting cozy with the arrow. Things go down, bad, and suddenly everyone else was underground and there's no way in from up here, metaphorically, so you go native.

Sounds okay to me, though you are still putting the favored resistance attribute experience into increasing that attribute by 1 dot first, yes?
    Well, abstractly an purely based on math it doesn't matter. There is no difference between putting my extra point in composure, and putting it in presence instead and just buying up composure. But yes, I very literally have composure listed as 25 (+20), leaving me with ten points left over in social attributes, and five points also in social attributes. I figured 15 points to boost another dot was still within the spirit of the set up.

Yep, Hong Kong has a night life and you can certainly have a sanctum there.
    Hong Kong is like new York, in that there is a city, a "province", and a culture. Separating what makes logical sense from what I know and from what I don't know but surmise. I knew there would at least be a red light district. Every other idea though seems to grind against the setting, so I thought I'd ask~

Okay. One of them basically fits to a t (lowercase because it's subtly off).

Copied from the OP
    You also said that the resonant change would be something that Flouresce would feel was bad and wanted to fix, so I was confused.

I'm not going to say more because I'm still not done with Book of Spirits (primarily on account of not reading any more of it in the past few days).

Prime 3 to mess with leylines isn't going to break the plot. It will likely earn you the ire of people that don't want them messed with (like the Arrow). High prime magic in general is going to make you one of the 10 or so people best equipped to figure out what's going on with them. Also, of course, leylines are interconnected, so messing with them is going to affect resonance flows and energy pretty broadly, so you could easily unleash, like, a freedom spirit and an oppression spirit and have them duking it out near where you were planning to do your magical experiments.
    That would be boss~!

I actually have been thinking abou ley lines a lot, which makes them being important subtly dissapointing - there are now consequences for screwing around XD
    I could probably find and redistribute some small veins, create a nexus. Resonant freedom and release, as the sole power source for an underground club? God yes.

That's almost bigger than what you get for sanctum 1 under the regular rules. That would cost you sanctum 2 in Hong Kong for sure.
    could he instead use Luxury for the space and move his sanctum-sanctorum there? All he wants out of a sanctum is security, which seers require. Luxury for space, and he can spend all his sanctum dots on security or so. I know Changeling has base size if you put 0 dots in it, provided you have any dots in the merit at all; sanctum 1 (size 0, security 1) would be no bigger than his alloyed apartment, but also no smaller. Essentially, he woul only need to buy more space of he wanted more space.

Other seers would have access to said space to a degree though, I think.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-10-29 at 11:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

could he instead use Luxury for the space and move his sanctum-sanctorum there? All he wants out of a sanctum is security, which seers require. Luxury for space, and he can spend all his sanctum dots on security or so. I know Changeling has base size if you put 0 dots in it, provided you have any dots in the merit at all; sanctum 1 (size 0, security 1) would be no bigger than his alloyed apartment, but also no smaller. Essentially, he woul only need to buy more space of he wanted more space.

Other seers would have access to said space to a degree though, I think.
    I took the Secret merit, which gives me Secret*2 worth of free merit dots which are 'locked behind' the Secret. These merits are my Seer Status and my Luxury. On the upside, free merits. On the down side, using those runs the risk of extreme Narrative Consequences - if I throw around my reputation as a Seer then the Pentacle, who I'm ostensibly working with, will probably catch on.

In which case I'll just scrap that XP in favour of Resources 4 and use that instead to get the same thing. Shuffled around some other dots as well.
    To improve is to change

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, one other thing:

With Augment the Mind, Vulcan is going to be walking around with Intelligence 8 almost all of the time. Do you approve the Reversal Point system from Imperial Mysteries (p19) to handle Thanqol's inability to play a character three times as smart as he is? (You approved it for Gathering of Mists, just checking again for here).

A refresh of the system:

Optional System: Reversal Points If you like, you might give hyper-competent characters
    possess “reversal points” to represent superior insight and
    preparation. Each reversal point allows a player to retroactively
    declare a basic (1 point – bodyguards were shadowing
    you in case of attack), moderate (2 points – your countersniper
    shoots the sniper), complex (3 points – “My spy
    network knew about this weeks ago”) preparation to deal
    with an event that has just been revealed in play, such as a
    betrayal or unexpected encounter.
    Your character possesses one reversal point for each dot
    in an Attribute or Skill above 5, and may only spend points
    when the situation would apply both to the linked Trait and
    the declared preparation. You may also spend points to nullify
    other characters’ reversal points on a 1 for 1 basis.
    Your character recovers all reversal points at the start of
    each game chapter.
    To improve is to change

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

I took the Secret merit, which gives me Secret*2 worth of free merit dots which are 'locked behind' the Secret. These merits are my Seer Status and my Luxury. On the upside, free merits. On the down side, using those runs the risk of extreme Narrative Consequences - if I throw around my reputation as a Seer then the Pentacle, who I'm ostensibly working with, will probably catch on.

In which case I'll just scrap that XP in favour of Resources 4 and use that instead to get the same thing. Shuffled around some other dots as well.
    Forgive me for what is most likely a misunderstanding, but don't be dense. Sanctum size is if you require space separate from your allocated Resources space; you do not have to put any dots in sanctum size at all. Instead of resources 4, leave it at 3, get a dot of sanctum to unlock library and hallow if you want them. Sanctum merits do require sanctum the merit, after all.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, one other thing:

With Augment the Mind, Vulcan is going to be walking around with Intelligence 8 almost all of the time. Do you approve the Reversal Point system from Imperial Mysteries (p19) to handle Thanqol's inability to play a character three times as smart as he is? (You approved it for Gathering of Mists, just checking again for here).
    This is actually a good point. Mara's taking that rote too, although she may focus more on social attributes, in particular Manipulation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luna Nos Custodit

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Forgive me for what is most likely a misunderstanding, but don't be dense. Sanctum size is if you require space separate from your allocated Resources space; you do not have to put any dots in sanctum size at all. Instead of resources 4, leave it at 3, get a dot of sanctum to unlock library and hallow if you want them. Sanctum merits do require sanctum the merit, after all.
    Why is it necessary to pay XP for a special room to put your books in?
    To improve is to change

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I found some Mammon Prelacies and writeups on the Internet from DaveB, Mage author; take a look. Approval for Crown of Scarcity in particular?

Backed up with a theory of the Exarchs.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-30 at 12:16 AM.
    To improve is to change

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: Anyone notice that the forum is being really slow tonight?

EDIT: I keep forgetting. The Dark Secret flaw. Could I have been an ex-free councilor? I know the status merit shows status in two orders with the implication o mixed loyalty, and possibly being a double agent. I am looking at having Flouresce being a free councilor, possibly involved in the train incident (ignoring for now that it may not have been a free council thing at all), who was getting cozy with the arrow. Things go down, bad, and suddenly everyone else was underground and there's no way in from up here, metaphorically, so you go native.
    Do you mean the embarrassing secret flaw? Dark secret is in Exalted. If you take it as an embarrassing secret though, it means that some people will blame you personally for the bombing if they find out.

Every other idea though seems to grind against the setting, so I thought I'd ask~
    Not really, part of oppression is having a controlled outlet to keep people satiated. Opiate of the masses and all that (though this is hardly religion).

You also said that the resonant change would be something that Flouresce would feel was bad and wanted to fix, so I was confused.
    I said he wouldn't like the old resonance, which is grinding oppression mostly. And the old resonance is still dominant in the city. The new stuff coming in via the leylines is, as I called it, a "chip." It's like a tiny shift in a huge monumental edifice, but of course that's enough to draw plenty of notice from the people paying attention.

Oh, one other thing:

A refresh of the system:
    Yeah I approved that before and it still makes perfect sense to me.

It's not and the fact that this discussion has led to this question makes me think that I've made a mistake in trying to make this sanctum thing a subjective issue.

So, I'm just going to change it. Real estate is expensive and Hong Kong is crowded, therefore all real estate, whether bought via sanctum or resources, costs an extra dot. That's the only rule, period, end of discussion. If you spend that extra dot, you get a private sanctum that works just like every other sanctum.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-30 at 12:30 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

It's not and the fact that this discussion has led to this question makes me think that I've made a mistake in trying to make this sanctum thing a subjective issue.

So, I'm just going to change it. Real estate is expensive and Hong Kong is crowded, therefore all real estate, whether bought via sanctum or resources, costs an extra dot. That's the only rule, period, end of discussion. If you spend that extra dot, you get a private sanctum that works just like every other sanctum.
    Cool cool, I'm happier with a clear ruling like that.
    To improve is to change

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

This is actually a good point. Mara's taking that rote too, although she may focus more on social attributes, in particular Manipulation.
    Damn. And here I can't even survive getting hit by a train. Oh well.

We both know there are a million ways to spin either side. But I'll try a rational explanation other than "the rule presumably is balanced".

A library is not books. A library is a series of information segments useful to awakened. I don't know about your library, but mine is going to be a couple knowledge spirits anchored to some old books. The spirits have the information. I use. Yours? Probably encrypted notes, highlighted bits of text. Regardless, having Awakened-Eyes-Only knowledge lying there, obviously important, where ye maid, your room mate, the super intendant, your boss at mundane work, a friend, a fling, a casual burglar, or an uninvited Mage intruder can walk in and abscond with it is stupid. Your collated notes on knowledge and magic need to be nominally kept secret, because neither your ministry nor any orde is willing to risk otherwise. A sanctum is just that, a secure space. Your Luxury sweet, your electronic-alarm mansion, these are not secure in the same sense.

Especially when you notice one dot in sanctum is your Mage level security.

I honestly think this is just because we are all operating on different but similar levels of abstraction. If we all agreed on terminology and boundaries with the meta construct we would probably all agree.