Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Heart of the Dragon (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    A permanent one wouldn't take up any of my limit. Mostly I was asking though because the effect would definitely be easier to acquire than matter 5. It is a look at granularity. Matter 5 makes paint for pictures. Matter 3 makes whole pictures. A 1-dot fetish achieves this end so long as I can catch the appropriate spirit. If I want to make, not start with, said fetish, I'm back up to 4 dots (Spirit this time).

It would be a ritual tool, as well. The creation of the image would be the casting of the spell. Carrying a spectrum of paint on a bandolier while trying not to get caught for graffiti is silly. But this is the future, ne? The same size spraycan could be rigged with an internal mechanism that generates aerosol pressure, and an adjustable base allows for the movement of internal mechanisms, bringing condensed capsules of pigment into place, along with an empty, clear one for cleaning the works in between colors.

Thoughts? Available in the timeframe, and requisition requirements?
    Forgive me SiuiS, but I do not understand what you are asking for.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Fred's a talking horse, he can do whatever he wants."

Fred: "I want to steal"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

My contention is, this is a beautiful color scheme. It just doesn't feel like Vulcan's. It fits the name, the theme, but less so the person. But I don't know what she would look like really. I see a burgundy or mulberry coat, darker mane rather than lighter. A Celestia-esque collar with cables down her back would be neat too. Still, gorgeous pony.

Well, no. That's not correct. The color scheme does fit, but it's off. Vulcan's colors and feel are chocolate and charcoal and wine, but I don't know which colors are ascendant.
    Hmm, now I'm curious - what are the colors for Flouresce and Mara?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I think he's asking if it would be possible to get a multicolored spray cartridge via mundane methods. Something like an equivalent of those novelty multi-cartridge pens?
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies, that was terribly oblique even for me.
    Would the the level of the setting allow for a spray can with a color-shifting mechanism within range of my resources? If not strictly through mundane channels, could having the schematics and not the expertise allow me to acquire one, either through legitimate fabrication avenues or contact with a Moros engineer? Nonmagically, the device is conceptually sound, relying on advanced clockwork and modern modularity.

Finally, failing these, would you be averse to getting a 1-dot fetish which is a spraycan that allows any color, and regenerates its pair reserve over time? Neither option is required, and are strictly vanity acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Hmm, now I'm curious - what are the colors for Flouresce and Mara?
    Mara I do not know. I have to retread her things. Vulcan happened to be fresh in my mind. Flouresce is concrete grey, red-brown of rebar and roofing tile, and a reflected neon blue like the sidewalk beneath a Vegas marquis after it rains.

... Or is this where I'd use marquee? I don't remember enough HTML anymore to be certain.
    Make strange what is comfortable.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to start adding in NPC cabals. No guarantees of what gets put up in any particular order. I'm also probably going to split Mammon, as I'm looking at over 10 Seers in that ministry (including Vulcan) and that's too big for one post.

The Society of the Righteous and Harmonious Fist

a.k.a. The Boxers

Adamantine Arrow

The Boxers are an old order that traces their roots back to the turn of the 20th century. The mortal version of their history is that the original organization mounted a foolish rebellion against the British, pitting human fists against British machine guns in a hopeless and predictable fashion that left most of the organization dead.

What is less well-known is that the original organization consisted of a small group of people who truly could block bullets with their bare hands, at least within their demesnes. The large-scale rebellion did occur, but the members of the organization are oddly quiet when the topic comes up. Researchers of the Mysterium have conjectured that the mass deaths were either caused by a splinter group, or were sacrificed as part of some sort of magical experiment.

Today, the organization espouses a philosophy of holistic enlightenment. Only by honing the body, mind, and soul together can a person reach the supernal. In addition to their active members, they usually have 2-4 new disciples in training at any given time.

John and Jane Doe Male Adamantine Arrow Moros and Female Adamantine Arrow Obrimos, respectively

The Boxers are led by a pair of what are, essentially, warrior monks. They selected their shadow names intentionally to reflect the names used in law and medicine when it is impossible to identify a person because they believe that their own identities are irrelevant when seeking enlightenment. It is rumored, however, that the two are a rare example of brother and sister awakening in the same family.

The two have dedicated themselves to protecting and preserving magic wherever they find it, in order to avoid recklessness and destruction. John is a quiet, introspective person, taken to long bouts of meditation and a practitioner of Tai Chi. Jane, in contrast is perky, upbeat, and intensely passionate. She practices a style of Hung Gar that emphasizes strong, focused power.

The two both appear unusually plain, almost to the point of being the quintessential example of a healthy adult chinese male and female. John has his hair in a close buzz-cut and Jane has it loose just below her neck and they both tend to wear casual clothing such as jeans or workout sweats. Their personality contrast is easily their most memorable characteristic and generally causes them to be viewed in light of each other, rather than as individuals.

Moose Male Adamantine Arrow Thyrsus

Moose is the English translation of this man's shadow name, which would more properly be written using the Chinese characters for "great deer." A man of few words, Moose is the epitome of the bruiser archetype, towering over most people at nearly seven feet in height and with muscles that would put any body builder to shame. For a Chinese man, he's also especially hairy almost shaggy when he exposes his arms and legs. Despite his caveman-like appearance, he's known for also having a mechanical streak, however, and is responsible for the maintenance of Arrow equipment and vehicles in Hong Kong.

Ann Marie Female Adamantine Arrow ??

A recent arrival from London, Ann is the spitting image of a proper British lady somewhat getting on in years. She prefers formal dress, almost always with white gloves for a garden party and her hair and makeup are done up impeccably, her silver hair usually in a neat bun behind her head. She previously served in Hong Kong as an adjutant for the British Navy, before she returned to London when control of the city changed hands. She continues to have expectations that everyone around her will accomplish their tasks 5 minutes early with a proper "yes Ma'am" upon receiving orders.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-04 at 03:49 PM.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies, that was terribly oblique even for me.
    Would the the level of the setting allow for a spray can with a color-shifting mechanism within range of my resources? If not strictly through mundane channels, could having the schematics and not the expertise allow me to acquire one, either through legitimate fabrication avenues or contact with a Moros engineer? Nonmagically, the device is conceptually sound, relying on advanced clockwork and modern modularity.

Finally, failing these, would you be averse to getting a 1-dot fetish which is a spraycan that allows any color, and regenerates its pair reserve over time? Neither option is required, and are strictly vanity acquisitions.
    Well, it's certainly non-standard, but something like that could already be built, and I'm sure that Vulcan would have no trouble engineering a mundane spray can that works that way. It might not hold that much paint if you want a whole bunch of different colors, though.

I'm less clear on why this would be a fetish, but it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's certainly non-standard, but something like that could already be built, and I'm sure that Vulcan would have no trouble engineering a mundane spray can that works that way. It might not hold that much paint if you want a whole bunch of different colors, though.

I'm less clear on why this would be a fetish, but it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
    The difference would be in whether it is supernatural or mundane, and also that while I could conceptualize this as a mechanical device, I am not 100% certain it could be made in the modern day, IRL, for a sufficiently low price as to be worth it. Whereas the fetish could be made in the 60s by dropping a couple rainbow stones into a pepsie can an gluing an aerosol sprayer to the top, and then binding an art spirit into it. So if the answer to this being a reasonable mechanical device was 'no', I could go on a side quest to make one.

Mechanism
    Spoiler
    Show

The device looks like a regular can of spray paint, though a little narrower, and the bottom inch has a metal ring around it which is roughly faceted like a large nut. This ring can be slid up and down the inch-tall area.dirwctly under the spray nozzle, on that chrome area from which the neck rises, is a clear plastic window. This window displays two numbers, 0-6, one on top of the other. It displays which pigment slot is engaged, if any.

Have you seen Jurassic Park in recent years? The Barbasol shaving foam can with the cryogenic storage is partial inspiration. The bottom of the spray can, I pulled down after unlocking it, reveals what looks like an old style centrifuge, the kin that's just a spinning metal tree that holds test tubes. It has room for six tubes of the proper pigment, and a cleaning solution (in a slightly larger vial) is loaded into the trunk of the tree, through the center. when the grip ring near the base is rotated it moves the vials around, and can load up to two of them into position for use.

The grip ring has four settings, and seven 'clicks'. Setting 1 is locked, unusable. Setting two is the primary pigment, and clicks through each of the six colors. Setting 3 is the secondary pigment, and if set to the same 'click' as the primary pigment, it leaves it unmodified (because that selection is already physically locked into the primary intake area, and there is no pigment in that slot to take). setting both clicks to 0 results in no pigment being used, and instead opens the cleaning cartridge to clear the nozzle and valves. Setting 4 is a combination lock, albeit a simple one, which disengages all mechanisms inside through a simple decoupling, allowing the rack to be pulled out and unloaded, reloaded and cleaned.

The actual pigment, if not commercially available, is relatively simple to make. Relatively, because chemical mixing isn't exactly the cheapest lay-project. Because ye device itself provides propulsion, however, each vial is full of liquid paint with little else, getting a surprising amount of life from each color - approximately three quarters of a normal can of spray paint per vial.

I will also draw up designs for an omnitool inspired spring assisted forearm mounted blade system, partially to see if DD believes it would hold up. Although the best weapon for Flouresce would be similar to the Custom Character weapon for the kicking style; spurs and a sharp grill over the front of the toes.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

My contention is, this is a beautiful color scheme. It just doesn't feel like Vulcan's. It fits the name, the theme, but less so the person. But I don't know what she would look like really. I see a burgundy or mulberry coat, darker mane rather than lighter. A Celestia-esque collar with cables down her back would be neat too. Still, gorgeous pony.

Well, no. That's not correct. The color scheme does fit, but it's off. Vulcan's colors and feel are chocolate and charcoal and wine, but I don't know which colors are ascendant.
    Thank you, this actually helped a lot.

John and Jane Doe Male Adamantine Arrow Moros and Female Adamantine Arrow Obrimos, respectively
    From a discussion in a mage tabletop:

"So what happens if you delete your own identity with Prime?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Like, try to hide from your enemies by deleting your connection to your name. Does your name cease to exist? Can you even burn it off the Watchtower? What happens?"
    "Actually, I think what happens if you delete your connection to your name is that your name doesn't cease to exist - it just ceases to be your name. It becomes public property, so to speak."
    "Ah - that must be what happened to John Doe."
    "Any person, aggressive clowns or hunters of clowns, discovered in possession of a weapon on the highway will be arrested."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Thank you, this actually helped a lot.
    Glad to be of assistance.

From a discussion in a mage tabletop:

"So what happens if you delete your own identity with Prime?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Like, try to hide from your enemies by deleting your connection to your name. Does your name cease to exist? Can you even burn it off the Watchtower? What happens?"
    "Actually, I think what happens if you delete your connection to your name is that your name doesn't cease to exist - it just ceases to be your name. It becomes public property, so to speak."
    "Ah - that must be what happened to John Doe."
    Interesting.

Why prime? Would this not be the purview of space or fate?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting.

Why prime? Would this not be the purview of space or fate?
    My ST is personally adamant that Prime is the Arcana that governs names.
    "Any person, aggressive clowns or hunters of clowns, discovered in possession of a weapon on the highway will be arrested."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

I will also draw up designs for an omnitool inspired spring assisted forearm mounted blade system, partially to see if DD believes it would hold up. Although the best weapon for Flouresce would be similar to the Custom Character weapon for the kicking style; spurs and a sharp grill over the front of the toes.
    I will have to confess to not being that much of a mechanical engineer - my research is of a decidedly theoretical bent. Still, I can probably offer some perspective on the division between "In a slightly futuristic tabletop where actual wizards are running around? Yes." and "Good luck finding a Forces/Matter double Master who won't overcharge you."

As far as the blade goes, it's a bit of a mixed bag from a realistic perspective. Spring-loaded opening would work, but the problem with these sorts of things is always of the "you'll shoot your eye out" variety - or in this case, slash your wrists to ribbons if you don't get the clearance right. That said, the combat application runs into a couple of difficulties too - the main one being that torque and velocity are very different from a more traditional blade, and to actually hurt someone with a slashing motion, you'd need to be hurling your whole forearm around, most likely (depending to an extent on blade shape). Essentially, you have a more limited array of moves at your disposal.

Oh, and also there is the issue of mechanical wear. Eventually after enough sudden stops during the release, whatever you use to catch the blade and stop it will give out and your arm-sword will fly across the room >.>

Though with Vulcan around, fixing it is basically a non-issue.

On the other hand, from a game perspective, arm-mounted blades fall squarely within my own personal rule of cool (probably too much Reboot and FMA), so I would be willing to handwave a good chunk of the actual physics provided you invested in Weaponry dots. At the end of the day though, it's Anarion's call what the thing would be like in play, since it's pseudo-tech, but I'll cast my vote for you having one.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Though with Vulcan around, fixing it is basically a non-issue.
    Vulcan would actually find the idea of your Assassin's Creed Murder Knife so childish and distasteful she'd refuse to fix it (cheaply)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, from a game perspective, arm-mounted blades fall squarely within my own personal rule of cool (probably too much Reboot and FMA), so I would be willing to handwave a good chunk of the actual physics provided you invested in Weaponry dots. At the end of the day though, it's Anarion's call what the thing would be like in play, since it's pseudo-tech, but I'll cast my vote for you having one.
    Vulcan would actually find the idea of your Assassin's Creed Murder Knife so childish and distasteful she'd refuse to fix it (cheaply)
    I have to say that my view of the setting falls closer to Vulcan's end of things. D&D and many videogames just straight up say "this looks cool, stat it!" and call it a day. I think Mage falls closer to the real world end of the spectrum. Sure, someone could magic up a neato wrist blade, but in a world where the boogeyman isn't some random monsters, but hubris itself, indulging in "wasteful" magic just so you can have a flashy weapon that's worse than carrying around a knife on your belt is...excessive.

Edit: More stuff

SiuiS, I think the spray can falls in much the same field as the arm knife. You can do it, and you can do it with a spirit or a matter mage or whatever you want, but it's going to cost more than it's probably worth because I don't see anyone else in the setting seeing the point of mass-producing such a thing.

Thanqol, why does your ST think that Prime is the names arcana? It doesn't feel wrong to me, but given the way sympathetic connections otherwise work, I would have put it as space, myself. Regardless of the arcana, I agree that John Doe got a little experiment-happy. You should ask John and Jane what they think IC, might be an interesting conversation about the meaning of identity.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-01 at 07:44 PM.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

I will have to confess to not being that much of a mechanical engineer - my research is of a decidedly theoretical bent. Still, I can probably offer some perspective on the division between "In a slightly futuristic tabletop where actual wizards are running around? Yes." and "Good luck finding a Forces/Matter double Master who won't overcharge you."
    Nah, it's at the point where I could make it myself with a workshop and a death wish.

As far as the blade goes, it's a bit of a mixed bag from a realistic perspective. Spring-loaded opening would work, but the problem with these sorts of things is always of the "you'll shoot your eye out" variety - or in this case, slash your wrists to ribbons if you don't get the clearance right. That said, the combat application runs into a couple of difficulties too - the main one being that torque and velocity are very different from a more traditional blade, and to actually hurt someone with a slashing motion, you'd need to be hurling your whole forearm around, most likely (depending to an extent on blade shape). Essentially, you have a more limited array of moves at your disposal.
    *points to capoeira brawl specialty and dancing athletics specialty*
    It would mechanically be no different from a set of bladed knuckles, allowing brawl to inflict lethal damage. The benefits are both ease of concealment and mechanically assisted Quick Draw1 without needing an extra free hand. It leaves the hand open, provides almost fell range of motion, an can be used as an impromptu climbing tool.

[quote]Oh, and also there is the issue of mechanical wear. Eventually after enough sudden stops during the release, whatever you use to catch the blade and stop it will give out and your arm-sword will fly across the room >.>[/qute]

Yeah. One of my habits is to mess with hinged things, and it takes roughly 2,000 open/close cycles to wear out and unscre your standard butterfly knife.

I have to say that my view of the setting falls closer to Vulcan's end of things. D&D and many videogames just straight up say "this looks cool, stat it!" and call it a day. I think Mage falls closer to the real world end of the spectrum. Sure, someone could magic up a neato wrist blade, but in a world where the boogeyman isn't some random monsters, but hubris itself, indulging in "wasteful" magic just so you can have a flashy weapon that's worse than carrying around a knife on your belt is...excessive.
    A little bit. It started as a player interest, involving hands free climbing tools an a particular aesthetic. I really am just more interested in seein how little matter magic would be involved in its creation. A sort of experiment in efficiency. Blade geometry, anchoring, casing mechanism, pulley assisted slide openers... Oh, hm. That could potentially be much easier, though less cool. I'll file a slide opener away for my next project.

SiuiS, I think the spray can falls in much the same field as the arm knife. You can do it, and you can do it with a spirit or a matter mage or whatever you want, but it's going to cost more than it's probably worth because I don't see anyone else in the setting seeing the point of mass-producing such a thing.
    That's cool. It's as useful as a familiar bicycle. Personal, enjoyable, most people
    Wonder why you don't get resources 1 and a bicycle instead.

Thanqol, why does your ST think that Prime is the names arcana? It doesn't feel wrong to me, but given the way sympathetic connections otherwise work, I would have put it as space, myself. Regardless of the arcana, I agree that John Doe got a little experiment-happy. You should ask John and Jane what they think IC, might be an interesting conversation about the meaning of identity.
    Same boat, here. I am interested in the in-character justifications.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-01 at 10:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

SiuiS, you only put a single point in crafts for Flouresce. Why not relax a little on having every single social skill and actually stat him so he can build all this stuff you want, instead of being at the whims of matter mages?
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

SiuiS, you only put a single point in crafts for Flouresce. Why not relax a little on having every single social skill and actually stat him so he can build all this stuff you want, instead of being at the whims of matter mages?
    The crafts for was strictly for spray painting, really. Matter mages being able to fabricate stuff is a bonus. I actually edited in the details to my lat post, but the browser crashed before I coul submit it. So I am in the strange place of being intellectually satisfied, and viscerally stymied. Do I will leave this as a character point. I'll talk to the two of them until they buckle or convince me to learn it myself.

Spoiler
    Show

My inspiration.

Oh right, actually. On specialties. I plan on surveying and taking notes on ley line flow and it's affects in spirit courts. And I am stumped as to a suitable specialty to represent that, and am not sure if it would be better in occult or investigate. Occult is generally a more useful skill, but it feels a lot more like reading between the lines of society than falling back on any known rules of supernatural phenomena.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

The crafts for was strictly for spray painting, really. Matter mages being able to fabricate stuff is a bonus. I actually edited in the details to my lat post, but the browser crashed before I coul submit it. So I am in the strange place of being intellectually satisfied, and viscerally stymied. Do I will leave this as a character point. I'll talk to the two of them until they buckle or convince me to learn it myself.
    Hold on, the last couple posts have read like people think Mara has Matter. She definitely doesn't; only Vulcan has any dots in that so far as I know. Mara is currently heavily Mastigos, with Mind 4, Space 2 and then also Fate 1 because she can be lazy and likes the idea of an Arcanum that basically lets you make opportunity come to you.

Oh right, actually. On specialties. I plan on surveying and taking notes on ley line flow and it's affects in spirit courts. And I am stumped as to a suitable specialty to represent that, and am not sure if it would be better in occult or investigate. Occult is generally a more useful skill, but it feels a lot more like reading between the lines of society than falling back on any known rules of supernatural phenomena.
    To my way of thinking, this reads more as an Occult thing, provided you understand those dots to mean something more along the lines of "knowledge about Mage-y stuff that is esoteric, even for some mages" versus the general Occult/New Age section at the book shop.

I would probably stat it as Occult (Ley Lines +1) or possibly Occult (Twilight +1) depending on which of the two sides you want to emphasize.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

My inspiration.

The Mass Effect arm tool is really complex actually. That game fluffs it as nanorobots building the tool you want when you want it out of some kind of reserve of microfabricator matter that it has. You'd need magic for that, and since it creates stuff basically out of nothing, one of those is probably matter 5. A finite list of prepared tools could be done with matter 3, though you'd need enough space to store them unless you got a conjunctional spell to store things in containers that are larger on the inside than the outside (conjunctional space 3 perhaps?).

For ley lines, you could take an occult (ley lines) specialty, or perhaps Occult (resonance). You could take an investigation specialty for something like Investigation (mystical power sources) which would let you find them, but not tell you much about them.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Fate 1 because she can be lazy and likes the idea of an Arcanum that basically lets you make opportunity come to you.
    Woah woah. I know everyone makes this mistake, but if you're looking for the arcanum that lets you not have to actually think about what you're doing or plan ahead, you want time, not fate.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Woah woah. I know everyone makes this mistake, but if you're looking for the arcanum that lets you not have to actually think about what you're doing or plan ahead, you want time, not fate.
    Mmm, to be more specific, I'm thinking more specifically of the effects of spells like Winds of Chance, Exceptional Luck, and Shifting the Odds. That's the sort of thing that would appeal to Mara. Also, it's not exactly not planning ahead, but more making the best out of a given situation - shifting the odds, really; the spell name says it best.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, long as you're clear. Fate lets you make unlikely things happen or mess around with the destinies of stuff. Time will let you know whether the coin is going to come up heads or tails before you flip it though. And time is the arcana that tells you as you're walking along whether things will go well if you take that left turn up ahead.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Hold on, the last couple posts have read like people think Mara has Matter. She definitely doesn't; only Vulcan has any dots in that so far as I know. Mara is currently heavily Mastigos, with Mind 4, Space 2 and then also Fate 1 because she can be lazy and likes the idea of an Arcanum that basically lets you make opportunity come to you.
    Aye, I caught that. I almost mentioned you an remembered you're the warlock, she's the necromancer. I mixed those up days ago while talking to myself, and it stuck because I said it out loud.

To my way of thinking, this reads more as an Occult thing, provided you understand those dots to mean something more along the lines of "knowledge about Mage-y stuff that is esoteric, even for some mages" versus the general Occult/New Age section at the book shop.

I would probably stat it as Occult (Ley Lines +1) or possibly Occult (Twilight +1) depending on which of the two sides you want to emphasize.
    Interesting. That's true, but what I'm looking for is being able to find and categorize stuff the next generation of mages can take for granted as occult.

It's moot though, as I don't have the XP for the extra specialties and didn't list tagging. In the future though, I am going to get a slew of these specialties, and invest in the Shared Specialty merit with ST approval (which allows you to share a specialty across two skills so long as it makes sense, such as medicine and athletics, or in my case, investigate and occult; finding an understanding).

The Mass Effect arm tool is really complex actually. That game fluffs it as nanorobots building the tool you want when you want it out of some kind of reserve of microfabricator matter that it has. You'd need magic for that, and since it creates stuff basically out of nothing, one of those is probably matter 5. A finite list of prepared tools could be done with matter 3, though you'd need enough space to store them unless you got a conjunctional spell to store things in containers that are larger on the inside than the outside (conjunctional space 3 perhaps?).
    Yes, a real omnitool would most likely be an artifact. It is simply the physical inspiration, and also the only diagram I still had the link for in my clipboard after the crash. The object I speak of is superficially similar, in that there is a blade on a ring which folds out, but it also looks a lot more like a beatle strapped to my forearm.

For ley lines, you could take an occult (ley lines) specialty, or perhaps Occult (resonance). You could take an investigation specialty for something like Investigation (mystical power sources) which would let you find them, but not tell you much about them.
    Hm. Noted.

sorta kinda. It's in the presentation; fate is the arcanum of finding a hundred dollar bill stuck to your show when you go out grumbling about money. Time would tell you when you'd get money, and could be used for more micromanagement. Fate is just "it is my fate to get cash" and let reality do the work.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Vulcan would give you a kitchen knife and some duct tape. Or, better, a gun. If you're going to kill someone, goes her line of thought, you don't screw around.

From his descriptions, it would seem like the Patterns of things - their full sum of characteristics - is embodied in their name, which is embodied in a Supernal symbol. He also lets Mages with Prime 1 tell if a given name is the person's real name or not.

Space, as an aspect of the Fallen World, navigates using Names but doesn't require them - like a lighthouse.

Hold on, the last couple posts have read like people think Mara has Matter. She definitely doesn't; only Vulcan has any dots in that so far as I know.
    Matter is also Inferior for Mastigos.

THOUGHT: Moros and Soul Marks

I think few things can change your view of the world as much as having perpetual access to the spell "Soul Marks". This death 1 perception spell lets you examine how healthy someone's soul is, noting fractures from derangements, murders, and acts of hubris. A large contributing factor to Vulcan's cynicism is examination of just how sickeningly unhealthy some people's souls are.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

I think few things can change your view of the world as much as having perpetual access to the spell "Soul Marks". This death 1 perception spell lets you examine how healthy someone's soul is, noting fractures from derangements, murders, and acts of hubris. A large contributing factor to Vulcan's cynicism is examination of just how sickeningly unhealthy some people's souls are.
    I really need to remember to make use of this with Turing during new encounters. I keep forgetting about the spell though.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Vulcan would give you a kitchen knife and some duct tape. Or, better, a gun. If you're going to kill someone, goes her line of thought, you don't screw around.
    Would earn a mix of respect and exasperation. Neither knife taped to arm, nor handgun, are a martial arts tool. Well, for his art specifically.

From his descriptions, it would seem like the Patterns of things - their full sum of characteristics - is embodied in their name, which is embodied in a Supernal symbol. He also lets Mages with Prime 1 tell if a given name is the person's real name or not.
    Sounds like a specialized bit of training, like how only guardians of the veil have access to the rote that let you use space to see around corners. "Only" guardians.

I need to get hit with that at some point. Flouresce is currently under the assumption that morality is like alignment, you pick it and stick to it. He has a very WoD Spirit morality to him. Being shown that he could basically develop jaundice of the soul, as a direct consequence of not following rules he has no reason not to have learned, would have a powerful if subtle effect.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Updated character sheet. Flouresce is now missing Rotes and history, and I believe that's about it.

So now we need to brainstorm on what a Korean in Hong Kong would call a dance club he started with a magical international gang.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Updated character sheet. Flouresce is now missing Rotes and history, and I believe that's about it.

So now we need to brainstorm on what a Korean in Hong Kong would call a dance club he started with a magical international gang.
    I can't guarantee that you won't be shot if you use the word "Gangnam."
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

I've added some music to the OP. I'm not quite sure if I hit the tone I was looking for on all of them, but my own selection is quite limited. I'd be interested in any recommendations.
    Lawyer Pony by DirtyTabs

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

I can't guarantee that you won't be shot if you use the word "Gangnam."
    I've been avoiding it all thread~

... Since this is the slight future, would Gangnam be a retro bar?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I've added some music to the OP. I'm not quite sure if I hit the tone I was looking for on all of them, but my own selection is quite limited. I'd be interested in any recommendations.
    Slow Cheetah is perfect.

Hydra Pulse I'm a little curious about. There's no bigger notacleverpony fan than me, but I always thought that was one of her weakest tracks. I'm not seeing the connection to the game, and I think this version of the hydra theme is far superior.

Calling is complicated to me; it appeals to the part of me that loves bad Japanese music, and I like the Wake Up refrain; always works for Mage stuff. I really don't like the "Calling" chorus though, that's grating.

Scratch is okay. I think a better high class electronic mix is this, a better glassy eyed club trance song is this, and a better Scratch song is this.

I'm really not sure how I feel about classical as a thing for the Seers; I'm indoctrinated by the industrial feel that Nine Inch Nails gives to Mammon, Paternoster, Praetorian, and Panoptic respectively. The classical symphony doesn't give any hint of that abasement that characterises the Throne to me. The Throne is about the lowest, most contemptible impulses in the human soul. They're not about tragedy. They're not about grand passions. They're just kind of crap. Mediocre. Maybe I just don't have an ear for classical but this just doesn't sound anything like how I think the Throne would sound.

You want to know what I think the Throne would sound like?

I think this.

The most painfully mediocre talentless crap they can possibly pump into the air waves. Music that just makes you kind of worse for having heard it, and casually degrades the most important human stories through it's insufferable treatment of them. Music without higher meaning or passion, just a completely soulless cash in.

I've been avoiding it all thread~

... Since this is the slight future, would Gangnam be a retro bar?
    I think it's dead like the one hit wonder it is.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-03 at 04:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

You want to know what I think the Throne would sound like?

I think this.

The most painfully mediocre talentless crap they can possibly pump into the air waves. Music that just makes you kind of worse for having heard it, and casually degrades the most important human stories through it's insufferable treatment of them. Music without higher meaning or passion, just a completely soulless cash in.
    I'm in the unfortunate position I only being able to get this and Scratch to work. Damn it Thanqol. I am going to hear that in my nightmares.

I agree somewhat on Scratch. It feels too superficially crystalline, but I'll go through them all again when I have a computing style device.

I think it's dead like the one hit wonder it is.
    Like disco? Sounds like a yes to me, then. Gangnam style is like an aural B-movie; you don't like it for its quality, but for its... What, ham? je ne sais quoi.

Although I am tempted to name the club Slow Cheetah, now.