Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Heart of the Dragon (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I still kept thinking Mara was the one with Spirit inferior. Remarkable.
    Matter.

"What if a bank account had more money in it despite not having more money in it?

"A god can spring forth as a god. What differentiates god and Titan?"
    "Do I look like an ancient greek historian?"

Cryptids do to? I thought they were built standard. Huh.

That's a good question actually. Orisha would be straight spirit. The Aesir would be spirits, and the Vanir probably Supernal. If Vulcan gets information on Supernal summoning, she would be able to shut Flouresce up. His argument is that even if there was no Spirit arcana, there is still Supernal magic which affects spirits. Given that spirit arcana does not work on (non Spirit) Supernal spirits, we can safely assume there is something in the primal wild that spirit does affect.
    According to Summoners, About half the creatures in the Primal Wild respond to Spirit, in the same way that half the creatures in the Aether respond to Forces.

There are also spirits with absolutely no human involvement in their life cycle. A mountain remembers itself as animals and plants thrive there.

More terrifying, and something we have danced around, there are spirits which predate existence as we know it. Like, of concepts that are beyond, or in opposition to, physics, thermodynamics, matter, energy, etc. they are terrifying, conceptually and literally. Like that doctor Who episode of creatures affecte by words before science took root. Except not so nice as that. Informing the Throne of Idigam strikes me as a Bad IdeaTM.
    One of the Exarchs' commandments is to beat those guys up.

And then enslave them for the good of humanity.

"I do not worship something because it is a god. Some do."
    "What are your criteria for worship, then?"

"Sifu, It is my estimation we cannot let the prisoner near any awakened if possible. She is too clever. The dull will be taken away. The smart will be snared through pride. She could slowly turn many of those few we have."
    Honestly? This is the number one reason why Vulcan's boss let her out. He figures that she's such a gloomy bitch that if he lets her take a sabbatical with the Pentacle she'll be such a downer that she might convert some of them when she inevitably comes crawling back.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-10 at 05:15 AM.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The Korean looks at the honey-skinned ginger and raises his eyebrows.

According to Summoners, About half the creatures in the Primal Wild respond to Spirit, in the same way that half the creatures in the Aether respond to Forces.
    I can honestly see how those are similar cases for different reasons, but from a mechanics standpoint it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I didn't really look to hard at Summoners aside from the Supernal spirit familiar, because of Anarion's prior rebuke. Interestingly, a Supernal familiar would be less useful in this instance than current. SiuiS with a Goetic demon is still on my Los of things that would be a hoot to play though.

One of the Exarchs' commandments is to beat those guys up.
    Broken clock is right twice a day.

And then enslave them for the good of humanity.
    Or once, at least. XD

"What are your criteria for worship, then?"
    "I couldn't tell you."
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-12 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfate View Post
    Devils! Stop binding SiuiS' pony!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, yes you do.

Honestly? This is the number one reason why Vulcan's boss let her out. He figures that she's such a gloomy bitch that if he lets her take a sabbatical with the Pentacle she'll be such a downer that she might convert some of them when she inevitably comes crawling back.
    Although I'm mostly keeping hands-off the debate here, I must interject. This implies a level of care from Vulcan's boss which does not exist. He presently doesn't need her for anything, nor is she really neglecting anything important. Therefore she is not important and he can hardly be bothered to spare a thought for her, must less waste mental effort justifying why what she's doing is okay.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Yes, yes you do.

Although I'm mostly keeping hands-off the debate here, I must interject. This implies a level of care from Vulcan's boss which does not exist. He presently doesn't need her for anything, nor is she really neglecting anything important. Therefore she is not important and he can hardly be bothered to spare a thought for her, must less waste mental effort justifying why what she's doing is okay.
    Well, irrelevance is way cheaper than an invisibility cloak and just as effective.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

*smirk* "It may be, of this debate keeps up."
    "If it does, let me know. Not sure I want one of those things hanging around."

*glances over shoulder*

If sticking with Flouresce, probably Flow. Sounds like a tacky DJ name, the kind of handle someone who posts videos of themselves dancing on YouTube would use. There's a bit of self referential mocking to the name.
    I actually like this. I think Mara would use it for the same reasons.

Dial it back. Dial it in. Rank 1 spirit, barely sentient mote. If you piss it off, it's got the capacity for a 6 dice attack pool. That's equivalent to being smashed in the face by a fit amateur league boxer. And these are constantly coming out of your brain.
    Not sure if this would unsettle Mara or be the most obvious thing in the world to her. On the one hand, there was a really long period of time where she couldn't even control the thoughts coming from her brain. On the other, her Awakening involved being literally dragged around an endless institutional maze by the demons inside her head, so she's somewhat familiar with the idea that there's weird, powerful, and nasty crap most humans don't even have an idea about lurking everywhere - including the places you'd like to keep private.

Shut up! We can't all have easy to deal with inferior arcana!
    ... And then I remember Vulcan is the Moros, inferior spirit, and recognize that "face into brick wall" feeling for what it is.

The aftermath of ramming my face into a brick wall.
    And finally the penny drops.

You get this exact same type of debate if you talk to Jayden about Death. "It's stupid and wrong even if it's right".
    I realize suddenly that we have a closed loop of Inferior Arcana, since every person has one that corresponds to one of the Ruling Arcana of another member. Actually, even more so, since all of ours correspond to the Arcanum that's been chosen as the dominant one by the others... It's interesting, but really not all that unlikely I suppose if you have a mix of several paths in a cabal. A built-in source of conflict and potential hubris, I wonder?

"Sifu, It is my estimation we cannot let the prisoner near any awakened if possible. She is too clever. The dull will be taken away. The smart will be snared through pride. She could slowly turn many of those few we have."
    "I suppose we're stuck with her then. On the upside, she is pretty good at what she does. Wonder if she can dance, too?"

Well, irrelevance is way cheaper than an invisibility cloak and just as effective.
    Isn't that the logic behind that one Mind spell? You aren't actually invisible, but nobody thinks anything special about you, no matter what you do?
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Not sure if this would unsettle Mara or be the most obvious thing in the world to her. On the one hand, there was a really long period of time where she couldn't even control the thoughts coming from her brain. On the other, her Awakening involved being literally dragged around an endless institutional maze by the demons inside her head, so she's somewhat familiar with the idea that there's weird, powerful, and nasty crap most humans don't even have an idea about lurking everywhere - including the places you'd like to keep private.
    Conversely, nightmare mindscapes would scare the piss out of us.

Astral realms are potentially very very creepy bad wrong.

I realize suddenly that we have a closed loop of Inferior Arcana, since every person has one that corresponds to one of the Ruling Arcana of another member. Actually, even more so, since all of ours correspond to the Arcanum that's been chosen as the dominant one by the others... It's interesting, but really not all that unlikely I suppose if you have a mix of several paths in a cabal. A built-in source of conflict and potential hubris, I wonder?
    I sort of noticed this, but it kept slipping by due to mentally thinking of someone else whenever I tried to think of Mara. Very interesting potential dynamic.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Questions.

Could a sorcerer create a Grimoire while expending XP so that he ends up with no loss?

Can creating a Grimoire be done as a group ritual, so that one Mage scribes the Grimoire and a different Mage provides the rote?

Does a Grimoire have to be a single item, or could it be a set with a greater message? For example, the Dragon Ball manga, from Goku meeting Bulma all the way up to Goku beating Majin Buu and giving up so he can have peace, all have artwork on the spine. When set together in sequence, the entire manga set makes a mural.
    Could that mural have a rote within it? Multiple rotes?

Flouresce would have gone with the free council because his artwork has encoded Supernal symbols within it. His willingness to climb a skyscraper and jump to an otherwise unwatchable canopy for a canvas is why the Arrow appeals to him.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Questions.

Could a sorcerer create a Grimoire while expending XP so that he ends up with no loss?
    I don't understand the form of this question. If you're expending XP there is a loss. Can you explain what you mean by no loss?
    Can creating a Grimoire be done as a group ritual, so that one Mage scribes the Grimoire and a different Mage provides the rote?
    I would say no. Group rituals require overlapping arcana, and grimoires require specific rotes. So you'd need the group leader to have the rote to make it work, but at that point the group ritual becomes useless. If someone else has a relevant rote, they need to teach it to you.

Does a Grimoire have to be a single item, or could it be a set with a greater message? For example, the Dragon Ball manga, from Goku meeting Bulma all the way up to Goku beating Majin Buu and giving up so he can have peace, all have artwork on the spine. When set together in sequence, the entire manga set makes a mural.
    Could that mural have a rote within it? Multiple rotes?
    I have no problem with non-standard format grimoires. There might be an issue with encoding a grimoire on top of an existing grimoire, of the magical interference sort of problem, but if you want the "thing" that is a grimoire to be a combined set of manga covers, that's fine.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-10 at 10:14 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

I don't understand the form of this question. If you're expending XP there is a loss. Can you explain what you mean by no loss?
    There was a net in there that was lost. Tangentially, spending a dollar for a dollar's worth of goods is a conversion, not a loss, yes?

What I meant, was instead of creating a grimoire, losing a rote, expending two experience and an unspecified training time to relearn that rote, and leave... Could I streamline the process so I lose 2 xp instead of temporarily losing the rote?

It compiles the same, but has a different feel and allows for different extrapolations.

I would say no. Group rituals require overlapping arcana, and grimoires require specific rotes. So you'd need the group leader to have the rote to make it work, but at that point the group ritual becomes useless. If someone else has a relevant rote, they need to teach it to you.
    Okay.

Relevant to this, I am user the impression that accepted practice is for a cabal with mixed levels of arcana to cooperate. Mage 1 has matter 1, spirit 3, Mage 2 is the reverse (matter 3 and spirit 1). These two could work together and cast a conjunctive spell requiring matter 3 and space 3, teamwork allowing them to surpass their personal limitations.

I do not think the book allows this though. I'm not sure if it's a rule, a house rule or a seemingly common misunderstanding.

Similarly, conjunctive spells require a minimum of Gnosis 3, but this is occasionally handwaved because it leads to everyone buying up Gnosis as fast as possible just because. What is your personal take?

I have no problem with non-standard format grimoires. There might be an issue with encoding a grimoire on top of an existing grimoire, of the magical interference sort of problem, but if you want the "thing" that is a grimoire to be a combined set of manga covers, that's fine.
    I have a grand and probably unattainable vision of city wide murals depicting mythological and urban-legendary events, offering rotes to the world.

-

On Macau vs. Hong Kong, I am actually leaning towards Hong Kong as the location for the club. It would be a sort of border guard, an incursion of party-in-the-back getting all up in business-in-the-front's grill. I am also interested to fix Macau had its own currency. I trust Hong Kong is not some entirely commercial area, full of nothing but fabrication and sales facilities?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

With the rotes, I'd prefer that you lose the rote. It makes grimoires a time investment, as opposed to something that an individual could mass produce at one time (due to the vaguaries of the XP system, you're likely to get 5-8 xp at one time, so you could immediatley crank off 2-4 grimoires, which I don't really like).

Regarding rituals and conjunctive spells, I don't really know. I haven't actually seen either in action yet nor have I DMed a game of Mage before. So, I'd be tempted to just go RAW there, but if you have a persuasive argument for why RAW sucks, or if Thanqol has some experience he'd like to share about why RAW sucks, I'm open to changing it.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

With the rotes, I'd prefer that you lose the rote. It makes grimoires a time investment, as opposed to something that an individual could mass produce at one time (due to the vaguaries of the XP system, you're likely to get 5-8 xp at one time, so you could immediatley crank off 2-4 grimoires, which I don't really like).

Regarding rituals and conjunctive spells, I don't really know. I haven't actually seen either in action yet nor have I DMed a game of Mage before. So, I'd be tempted to just go RAW there, but if you have a persuasive argument for why RAW sucks, or if Thanqol has some experience he'd like to share about why RAW sucks, I'm open to changing it.
    Gnosis 1 rituals take for-goddamn-ever anyway and voltron conjunctional rituals are awesome.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I had not considered that. I suppose instead of hours making a grimoire, I can spend fifteen minutes making the grimoire an the next few hours relearning the rote while I paint the rest.

Well, out the gate with a cabal of Thyrsus, Acanthus and Obrimos, I find the moral ramifications of creating a living, semi-sentient phone switchboard which taps into and monitors all data for the cabal – including, but not limited to, patching them through from various devices like a military tv show, and flirting terribly with several of the cabal members and causing awkward moments – would be more fun than budgeting for gnosis 3 so you can then start having crazy fun.

With Vulcan on board it's not an issue since neither Mara nor I trust her enough to let her help create a self-aware anything, but we could theoretically create a homonculous with the ability to micromanage an entire company seamlessly, on the physical, mental and spiritual planes, if I could be arsed to learn Mind at all. Being able to use conjunctional magic gets you thinking along the lines of conjunctional magic, and that's where creativity lies. My examples are all pretty crappy, actually. They all involve animating something. But what could matter, mind and spirit accomplish? Death, mind and space? Spirit, space and mind could create a guardian consciousness for a building, a defense system that just won't let you functionally leave a hallway until you say the password.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I agree with Thanqol and SiuiS here - ritual casting combos are neat because a.) They're really super neat and b.) It does let you get even more creative/crazy with the Arcana.

Speaking out from under my hypothetical ST hat, I would be much more inclined to limit things if I were worried about the group using more permissive conjunctional casting to break the everliving goo out of the game and then paint its innards all over Hong Kong. I'm pretty sure we would be more interested in using it for creative ends, with innard-painting a side effect at worst.

And really, by the time mages get to Gnosis 3 (when decent rituals aren't absurdly long) with the current XP rules, they're going to have a decent amount of goo-breaking ability even as individual ritual casters.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Seers of the Throne Dossier 1

To all Pentacle Mages: These reports were compiled by a team of Mysterium Censors in preparation for increased presence in Hong Kong. Please be aware that pictures and further information are presently unknown and details are primarily second hand.

Below, please find information on known or rumored members of the Seer Ministry known as "Mammon" present in Hong Kong.

The Composer
    Role: Library and Lore Keeper
    Arcana: adept or higher of Space, one operative reported observed teleportation. Extreme luck preventing prior assassination attempts indicates disciple or higher level of fate.
    --------------

The Composer is one of the more well-known members of the Seers in Hong Kong. Prior to his current position, he was known to have a role in acquiring and destroying magical knowledge, a position which placed him at notable odds with the Mysterium. He is single-handedly responsible for the destruction of over 10 notable artifacts and 15 distinct tomes of arcane lore.

Mysterium operatives have attempted three separate assassinations of this man. During the first, a sniping attempt, a window washer happened to pull his apparatus directly in front of the sniper's window on the 52nd floor of a building just prior to a chance to take the shot.

During the second attempt, a group of three operatives attempted to track the target and set a bomb in a vulnerable location. The tracking attempt failed after the team lead fell into his third cabbage cart of the night.

The third assassination attempt included assistance from a Guardian Acanthus. However, we believe that the target was informed somehow in advance. As the team set up in position, the target teleported away immediately and no further attempts have been made since that time.

Vulcan's experience
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Composer is Vulcan's boss. He's a soulless idealist, if such a thing can be. His belief is that knowledge is far too dangerous and too valuable for anyone that isn't a Seer. Since keeping it around means it could fall into the wrong hands, he'd prefer it destroyed. Even amongst Seers, his desire is to lock away all magic and prevent its use as much as possible. Vulcan is suspicious that even though he is now charged as the head librarian for all of Southeast Asia, he has taken active efforts to use his magic to alter the destiny of some items so that they will be destroyed.

His ideal world is one in which all information fed to sleepers if first filtered through the throne (ideally through him) and this is turn is designed to make all sleepers think and feel the same way, channeling their resources and time directly to the support of Mammon.

Meng
    Role: Liaison?
    Arcana: Adept of Forces, Apprentice or higher of mind.
    ----------------
    Although the Mysterium has not intended to track this man, he has appeared in several locations a few days prior to major Seer actions in the past. This leads the Mysterium analysts to conclude that Meng is some kind of liaison or messenger between various other members of the Seers, perhaps in a larger geographic area.

In addition, several of his appearances have been accompanied by large-scale computer failures, equipment malfunctions or explosions, and cell-phone interference. The Mysterium therefore concludes that Meng has some skill in the forces Arcanum. Skill in Mind is inferred, but Mysterium agents have had great difficulty interrogating sleeper witnesses afterwards, leading to the suspicion that their memories were tampered with in some manner.

Meng has been sighted in Tokyo, Beijing, Bangkok, and recently in Hong Kong.

Vulcan's experience
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vulcan has only met Meng twice. Once he was acting as an assistant to a bank executive while visiting Hong Kong, the second time he came to her asking for some mechanical work to help create a device that could pick up cell tower frequencies at longer range than the phones themselves. At that time, he told her that he was a Quirinus for the Beijing Tetrarch. That was also the only non-sarcastic thing she's heard him say. Both times, basically the only statements that left his mouth were quips and insults of the people around him, and he has a smug, oddly-angled smirk that pretty much never leaves his face.

Armani
    Role: Believed to lead a local pylon and maintain a Seer safe house.
    Arcana: Matter at some level. Otherwise unknown
    -------------
    Armani, despite the name, is a custom tailor who makes suits. Mysterium agents have purchased from him and found the prices to be exceptionally low, much lower than any other custom tailor in the city, while maintaining superior quality. This author admits to having purchased two such suits, both of exceptionally fine quality.

After analysis, it is believed that Armani's tailor shop is also a Seer safe house. Mysterium analysts consulted with a British economics professor that works for the Consilium and theorize that Armani is attempting to use his magic to worsen the lives of all other tailors across the city. It is believed that he sees an irony in tailors who charge $10,000 for a single suit also living just short of abject poverty due to lack of business, yet being unable to lower their prices due to the time and care required for their quality of workmanship.

Vulcan
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can confirm that he runs a safe house and is a well-known hosteler. Vulcan hasn't personally met him, however. He tends not to leave his shop much.

Wei Miao She
    Real Name: unknown. Shadow name translate as "the subtle serpent."
    Role: Leader.
    Arcana: Master? of Fate. Otherwise unknown
    ----------------
    Mysterium information on Wei Miao She is frustratingly paltry. This author believes that some other effect is at play preventing anyone from getting close to him.

Master of Fate is theorized due to a previous attempt at observation ending when a large tanker ship steered off course, crushing the pier where our agent was waiting and burying him under several dozen boxes of knockoff plastic ponies.

Vulcan
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the region's Tetrarch, you know some general stuff about the guy. His day job is a lawyer, though he apparently works very rarely. He's an Acanthus and amongst the Seers he's well known as a master of both Fate and Time. Rumors suggest that his long-term plans involves somehow manipulating the fate of the city of Hong Kong itself.

Himitsu
    No data

Vulcan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Himitsu is known to Vulcan because he's Japanese and he likes her manga. He's a lower-ranking Seer, though not a Soldier, and Vulcan hasn't met his pylon. He's an older gentleman, heavily wrinkled and with a fu manchu mustache to make up for his bald head. He owns an herbalist shop and Vulcan knows that he's skilled in matter because he tends to spend his free time transmuting things into precious materials. She's not actually sure if anyone else knows about this or how the idea of sidestepping standard wealth-gathering mechanisms would sit with the other Mammon Seers. Himitsu doesn't seem to care much though.

Considering the amount of rhino horn and elephant tusk he's got, Vulcan also would guess that he's got connections to a smuggling ring of some sort, or a specialty in transmuting the stuff, one or the other.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-11 at 01:13 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'm convinced to open things up for ritual spells and conjunctive spells because I also agree that they're cool. The ruling then is that the leader can cast the spell and the followers can contribute their own piece to the conjunctive spell, although if it's just one spell from the leader, any helpers should have at least 1 dot in the relevant arcana.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Yeah, I agree with Thanqol and SiuiS here - ritual casting combos are neat because a.) They're really super neat and b.) It does let you get even more creative/crazy with the Arcana.

Speaking out from under my hypothetical ST hat, I would be much more inclined to limit things if I were worried about the group using more permissive conjunctional casting to break the everliving goo out of the game and then paint its innards all over Hong Kong. I'm pretty sure we would be more interested in using it for creative ends, with innard-painting a side effect at worst.

And really, by the time mages get to Gnosis 3 (when decent rituals aren't absurdly long) with the current XP rules, they're going to have a decent amount of goo-breaking ability even as individual ritual casters.
    This crystallizes one of my points of unease: the implication in a play by post chronicle is that the characters are done once the story is done. In a set plot, set setting, starting at whatever (usually 35 XP), you aren't really going toget to the point of even seeing legacies or high gnosis in play unless you gun for them at the expense of other things. I don't know if that's accurate, but to make a D&D parallel, everyone always starts off at 1 and builds with aspirations for 20, but play never gets much beyond 7, so all that potential goes to waste.

If that's the case, a Mage game where all the fun stuff that's not abou how little a fish in such a big pond you are is reserved for the final act. It's also why the requirements for Supernal spirit or Goetic familiar bother me. It's a completely knee jerk reaction, but it's a reaction nonetheless.

Okay, I'm convinced to open things up for ritual spells and conjunctive spells because I also agree that they're cool. The ruling then is that the leader can cast the spell and the followers can contribute their own piece to the conjunctive spell, although if it's just one spell from the leader, any helpers should have at least 1 dot in the relevant arcana.
    sounds legit.

Also, I almost quoted your spoilers. XD

"Man, all that fate? Flick those guys! What does perfecting or fraying fate even do. I mean damn.

"... Does the throne have dossiers on us?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

With Vulcan on board it's not an issue since neither Mara nor I trust her enough to let her help create a self-aware anything,
    As if you could stop me.

OPINIONS, I got 'em

The Composer

"Why did we promote a Banisher to be our head dude, again?"

Vulcan has been consistently and vocally of the position that the Composer is a Banisher who has somehow been allowed to infiltrate the Throne and the Ministry's best interests are not being served by his unambitious goals. Destruction of all unauthorised knowledge and concentration of power in the hands of the Throne is idiotic because it means that anyone who wants wealth will have to attack the Throne directly. Concentration of wealth just goes to make you a tempting target, and if you poison every watering hole in a desert then every thirsty tribesman is going to line up to take a shot at you.

The Composer, in Vulcan's opinion, doesn't understand the teachings of his own Ministry, politics or the philosophy of Scarcity. She's tossed around the idea of making a move against him, but ultimately decided she doesn't have the power or need the hassle to hold a title like Librarian - yet.

Meng

"He's smart enough to realise everyone is stupid, but too dumb to keep that information to himself."

Vulcan quite likes Meng. They do excellent work together and they have precisely the same sarcastic attitude. She sees a kind of irreverent faithlessness in him which she appreciates and would quite like to work with him in the future.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

As if you could stop me.

OPINIONS, I got 'em

The Composer

"Why did we promote a Banisher to be our head dude, again?"

Vulcan has been consistently and vocally of the position that the Composer is a Banisher who has somehow been allowed to infiltrate the Throne and the Ministry's best interests are not being served by his unambitious goals. Destruction of all unauthorised knowledge and concentration of power in the hands of the Throne is idiotic because it means that anyone who wants wealth will have to attack the Throne directly. Concentration of wealth just goes to make you a tempting target, and if you poison every watering hole in a desert then every thirsty tribesman is going to line up to take a shot at you.

The Composer, in Vulcan's opinion, doesn't understand the teachings of his own Ministry, politics or the philosophy of Scarcity. She's tossed around the idea of making a move against him, but ultimately decided she doesn't have the power or need the hassle to hold a title like Librarian - yet.
    Based on this response, I can picture the line of play that leads to The Composer drawing a perfectly price-discriminating monopoly graph on a whiteboard for Vulcan.

Meng

"He's smart enough to realise everyone is stupid, but too dumb to keep that information to himself."

Vulcan quite likes Meng. They do excellent work together and they have precisely the same sarcastic attitude. She sees a kind of irreverent faithlessness in him which she appreciates and would quite like to work with him in the future.
    Interesting. I get the sense that Vulcan's weak point is actually anyone that gives her a good conversation.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-12 at 02:27 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Based on this response, I can picture the line of play that leads to The Composer drawing a perfectly price-discriminating monopoly graph on a whiteboard for Vulcan.
    And Vulcan will counter by drawing a graph of the required military spending to maintain that monopoly.

"But, y'know, if you'd like to join the Praetorian..."

Interesting. I get the sense that Vulcan's weak point is actually anyone that gives her a good conversation.
    Indeed; she suffers from a lot of the Bored Genius tropes.

I've also noticed that her two-word natural enemy isn't a philistine, but a Transhuman Aesthetic.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-12 at 02:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

I've also noticed that her two-word natural enemy isn't a philistine, but a Transhuman Aesthetic.
    The artistic/design principle? Doesn't she embody a transhuman aesthetic?

Or do you mean a transhuman ascetic?

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

The artistic/design principle? Doesn't she embody a transhuman aesthetic?

Or do you mean a transhuman ascetic?
    That one, I knew that word was wrong somehow. She hates monks and stuff.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

ah, dammit.

EDIT: oh look bad cache recall and then a bunch of stuff I couldn't see. Hmm.

Transhumance ascetic? That's ironic.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-12 at 03:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Guys! Guys!

I found Mara and Flouresce performing onstage!

Spoiler
    Show

Well, "Performing".

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Guys! Guys!

Spoiler
    Show

Well, "Performing".
    Heh, I saw that one in ponythread. OctaScratch are going to have to make so many wisdom checks after that stunt. Unless they're firing at zombies, of course.

While I've got SiuiS bumping the thread anyway, I might as well grab for a little motivation. Who would you like to see next?
    a) A Mysterium cabal
    b) Mammon Macau
    c) Guardians of the Veil

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, I saw that one in ponythread. OctaScratch are going to have to make so many wisdom checks after that stunt. Unless they're firing at zombies, of course.
    No, they only make one check at a lower rating.

The more you know!

While I've got SiuiS bumping the thread anyway, I might as well grab for a little motivation. Who would you like to see next?
    a) A Mysterium cabal
    b) Mammon Macau
    c) Guardians of the Veil
    Mysterymen!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Guys! Guys!

Spoiler
    Show

Well, "Performing".
    So I take it Tavia is Mara?

imokwiththis.jpg

a) A Mysterium cabal
    b) Mammon Macau
    c) Guardians of the Veil
    Show me the Guardians!

I know, I'm biased...

No, they only make one check at a lower rating.

The more you know!
    Mass murder: Consolidating your Wisdom checks

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, Thanqol asked first, so I'll do Mysterium, then Guardians. We'll get back to Mammon later.

The Council of Shu-Han

Mysterium Cabal

The Council of Shu-Han has based its magical philosophy around the upholding and perpetuation of (some, but not all) traditional Confucian values. In particular, the cabal is dedicated to the maintenance and preservation of knowledge, honor towards hierarchy and station, and the exaltation of one who lives the life of a true scholar. Given the traditional relationship in Chinese history between magistrates, scholars, and military leadership, some members of the cabal are also exceptionally skilled strategists and combatants.

The Council of Shu-Han does not count any of the new arrivals amongst its membership and, prior to the current infusion of mages, was far and away the most powerful Pentacle force in Hong Kong.

Liu Bei Female Mysterium Obrimos

Liu Bei is the leader of the Council. She has a deep understanding of the prime arcanum and has dedicated much of her life to the study of magic itself. She awakened as a young girl and appears to be in her mid-50s, suggesting at least four decades of dedicated focus. She is of about average height, with dark brown hair down to her shoulders. Her manner and stance is always upright and stately, and she tends to dress impeccably in suits or fine dresses.

Liu Bei conducts her organization along rules of strict hierarchy. Talent is measured both in terms of skill and in terms of discipline, control, and conduct. A person is to be judged as a whole and evaluated on self-control and responsibility before promotion to the upper tiers of magic.

Guan Yu Female Mysterium Thyrsus

Guan Yu is a huge, strapping blond woman with a ponytail. She is of British origin and chose not to abandon the city when the British handed it over to China. She is about 15 years younger than Liu Bei and is fiercely loyal to her leader. She acts in every way as the loyal lieutenant, taking on independent missions when needed, guarding her leader at all other times.

She generally conducts herself with restraint and stoicism, preferring to avoid speaking when not directly addressed.

Zhang Fei Female Mysterium Thyrsus

Guan Yu's counterpart. Zhang Fei is a Chinese resident of Hong Kong, with a short but burly brawler's build and long black hair. She is about the same age as Guan Yu.

Unlike Guan Yu, Zhang Fei tends to act as the voice of opposition within the Council. She is blunt to a fault and never hesitates to speak her mind, though when faced with an outsider she quickly shifts to supporting the policies and plans of Liu Bei.

She also tends to show less respect towards tradition when acting on her own, and there are at least a few rumors around the city that she is more fond of the bottle than she ought to be.

Zhuge Liang Female Mysterium Mastigos

Zhuge Liang is a tad older tha Liu Bei, probably in her 60s. She is a quiet, restrained Chinese woman. She always wears her hair up and tends to wear long flowing dresses in subdued colors. She is not always present when meeting with the others and tends to spend some of her time liaising with other Pentacle Cabals.

She is a deeply moving and eloquent speaker and, though she is spare of word, she never fails to present a good idea when asked. Other Pentacle cabals have relied, to their advantage, on her advice and plans.

The shadow names of the Council of Shu-Han are based on the characters from the famous Chinese Historical Novel "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms." Information that can be obtained by basic research into the names is explained below.

Spoiler
    Show
    The original Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei are the three friends who swore an oath of brotherhood in the peach garden and went on to protect the Chinese Empire from the Yellow Turban rebellion. They later founded their own kingdom during the three Kingdoms period, and Liu Bei changed his name to emperor Shu-Han as his kingdom was Shu. Their kingdom receives the most focus of the three in the novel. The other two kingdoms were Cao Wei and Eastern Wu. Lacking either the military superior of Cao Wei or the greater territories of Eastern Wu, Shu-Han is generally held up in the novel for its exemplary following of Confucian virtue, which allowed its people to flourish and its leaders to score military victories beyond what their troops and resources should have allowed.

Liu Bei, as the emperor and leader of the three brothers, is generally upheld as the epitome of Confucian virtue. Humble, scholarly, polite, and capable of following all the rules and requirements of society, he led his people with wisdom and decisiveness. He was raised in poverty and ascended to greatness from humble origins. His downfall was ultimately a desire for vengeance and over-broad ambition.

Guan Yu is held up in the stories as the epitome of loyalty. He was a great general and leader of men, absolutely loyal to his brother Liu Bei, and in combat was an immovable rock and worth several lesser men. He was, however, somewhat unskilled at playing politics. His ultimate defeat came from larger political circumstances beyond his control. His enemies secretly formed an alliance and attacked where he was not. When news arrived of the defeats elsewhere, his troops lost moral and began to desert. His depleted army was then chased and surrounded and Guan Yu chose to be executed, rather than surrender.

Zhang Fei is a classical example of a great man: great not as a paragon of leadership, but as a man who lived beyond his lessers both in his strengths and in his appetites. He was an incredible warrior, a brawler who would shout and carouse. He was also a drunkard and known to have bouts of anger in his darker moods. His boisterous jokes would keep up the spirits of his men and rouse their passions in battle. His death was a grand event, as was his life. Deeply grieved at hearing the news of Guan Yu's death, he demanded that his subordinates prepare proper funeral attire for is whole army. When they failed to meet his deadline, he became enraged and beat them within an inch of their lives. In response, his subordinates came upon him in his sleep and plunged a dagger into his heart.

Zhuge Liang was a military and strategic genius. He is found in the story living on his own as a scholar in the backcountry, in the typical style of the quasi-magical sage. Liu Bei was informed that no amount of distant politeness could bring Zhuge Liang to his side, and therefore Liu Bei visited Zhuge Liang personally several times, humbling himself and bringing gifts in an elaborate ritual to earn Zhuge Liang's trust. Ultimately, Zhuge Liang joined Liu Bei and became his military and diplomatic advisor, engineering genius victory after genius victory, as well as temporarily becoming an adviser in Eastern Wu in order to manipulate alliances with that kingdom for the benefit of Liu Bei. Zhuge Liang suffered primarily from being unable to be in more than one place at once, and ultimately pushed himself too hard, falling ill while out on military campaign and dying at the age of 54, though he was able to name his successor before his death.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-12-04 at 04:19 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

I find it interesting that a fraternity of the greatest men from the romance of the three kingdoms is comprised of entirely women.

It's probably irrational player bias calling in it's chips, but Flouresce has a lot of respect for Liu Bei even though the basis of their cabal is silly.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-20 at 12:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

It's probably irrational player bias calling in it's chips, but Flouresce has a lot of respect for Liu Bei even though the basis of their cabal is silly.
    That they are some of the most kick-ass people in Hong Kong is kinda the point.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

That they are some of the most kick-ass people in Hong Kong is kinda the point.
    Not the naming convention, the Glorification of Hierarchy. If you're good, you'll have people who respect you. If you're not, you'll have an early grave or people who look out for you. Having to formalize it is silly, and it's one of those Atlantean ideals that just don't hold that well.

Or do you mean they recognized themselves as powerful and idealized, and name themselves accordingly? I admittedly don't really calculate in changing your shadow name.