Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 176
  1. Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "Cho-Tak", the tengu said after swallowing a particularly juicy piece of 'clawmeat down his throat. He broke one of the breads in half and started picking it into bite-size pieces with his fingers, his beak clearly not used to pulling apart bread in an enjoyable fashion. "Bizkut, huh? Were your parents bakers or something?" he asks as he pops one of the pieces inside his mouth, swallowing it whole. Despite his rather rough manners, he doesn't seem to ask that with malice.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  2. Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Athaleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "You're on." Kal replied with mock gravitas. "What're you celebrating this evening? Got divorced?"

  3. Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "You're not drunk enough yet? Do want some of my drink? Maybe that will put you in the mood better. Anyway, what are you doing here in Part Peril? A nice place, but a bit violent. I prefer to shoot people rather than slash them." Drex offers his drink to the woman.

  4. Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "Cho-Tak, eh? I don't know what happened to my parents. Somewhere shoveling crap without shovel, I suppose. No, they called me Bizkut cuz I liked 'em so much. When all you've had is brackish water and scraps, your first meal as a free man is ... indescribable.

    So, I'm just trying to find my way in the world ... anything that puts food in my belly and coin in my purse. Why are you here?"
    Bizkut took some of his bread and dipped it in the stew, watching the birdman as he ate.
    Posting as normal - weekends are limited, weekdays are good!

    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  5. Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "Looking for a ship", Cho-Tak answered the halfling's query as he soaked pieces of bread in the stew, chucking one heavy chunk in his mouth before picking another. "Know where I could find one?"
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  6. Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Kal

    The pirate smiles, "Married actually, if you think of a ship as a woman."

    He pours a shot for you, grinning all the while. He raises his own glass towards you in a mock 'cheers' motion.

    "Let the game begin."

    And so, setting some of your own money on the table, the two of you begin to drink. Shot after shot, your glasses coming to a sizable stack beside each of you. Your game began to attract the attention of the other bar patrons, a crowd forms around you placing their own bets and cheering you on, pushing you far past the limits of your constitution. Soon, however, the both of you are at your threshold, the room seems to tilt to one side and then the other as you struggle to keep your balance in your seat. Your drinking partner doesn't seem to fair much better as he wiped at his sweaty flushed face.

    "Okay..." he mutters, "... okay, I think I might be at my limit here. And you don't seem to be fairing much better either. I s'ppose we could walk away right now no richer than we was before or... 'ow 'bout this... 'ow 'bout this..."

    He sways a little trying to keep his head level with yours, ending up staring very intensely at your chin. At least you think he's staring directly at your chin, you're not actually in any position to be gauging direction yourself.

    "We both down one las' drink. A shot o' Gutburn Rum. Who'ever's still consious gits da pot. An'! An' we go all in," He sets more bags of money on the table in front of you. It's a very enticing proposition, you could very easily double your money.

    "So 'ows ah bout id?"

  7. Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Drex

    "Now you are such a gentleman you are!" Laughs Sandara. She takes your drink without any form of hesitation on her part. "My da warned me about men like you."

    For the briefest of moments you saw a flash of emotion in her eyes, as though she were revisiting a moment in time. Some very recent, profound, life changing event. And before you had the time to analyze it, she drowned it out, knocking her head back and tossing down your rum. She slams your bone dry mug down with a decidedly unlady-like belch, all smiles again.

    "Heh, lightweight. Anyway, I came to Port Peril for the same reason that anyone comes to Port Peril for, to become a pirate. As you can probably tell, I am a cleric of Besmara."

    She taps the jolly roger symbol around her neck, a glistening silver skull and crossbones pattern etched into a rectangular black stone.

    "The goddess of piracy herself, so you could say I'm a bit set on this idea. It's just that time to leave home and set sail for open waters. You know that feeling too, right?"

  8. Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "A cleric of Besmara? So you do the healing on the ships you're on? I myself heal on the ship. Yes, I have that feeling as well, I've always liked being a pirate, such freedom and money. When you use gins like I do, you need all the gold you can get."

  9. Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "Know where I could find one?"

    Bizkut shrugged. "Besides down at the docks? Nope. I was just passing through, but this looked like as good of a place to ask around as any.

    Assuming you don't ask about the sign."
    He smirked at the last.

    As they ate, a commotion began near the bar, as two men entered into a drinking contest. The cheering and side betting continued to grow as the men seemed to near their limit. Bizkut glanced over at Cho-Tak, nodding towards the two contestants. "Open eyes and quick hands might be able to score an extra coin or two as they drink themselves stupid." Of course, Bizkut was used to a city where such events were staged ... who drinks themselves stupid in a crowd with a pile of money sitting right there? They might as well be shouting "ROB ME!"

    He glanced around, figuring someone else was either eyeing the money, or acting as security should things turn south.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check: (don't have my sheet with me) (1d20+5)[12]
    Posting as normal - weekends are limited, weekdays are good!

    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  10. Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Athaleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Kal was enticed by the offer, but retained just enough wits about him to avoid gambling all of his money. Truth be told, he felt about to hit the floor. This was bad, this was not the town in which to get fall-down black-out drunk. Better stumble back to his ship before he passed out.

    "I... Your offer's quite entishing, but I believe I'll quit while I'm ahead" he crookedly grins. With an exaggerated bow which Kal struggled to get up from, he takes his leave. "Was a good contest sir, I shalute you. But I must bid you adieu."

    As he straightens up, his head spins even more than before. Damn, but would the next hundred yards be an ordeal.

  11. Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Cho-Tak clicked his beak as he eyed the scene before him. "Too much of a hassle, I say. Just wait when they keel over and empty their pockets. Only it seems in this place you gotta wait until they throw them out first", he said as he emptied his mug. Letting out a feather-shivering belch he then poured himself some more.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2012-11-06 at 11:45 AM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  12. Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Kal

    Somehow, against all odds, you actually manage to stumble your way out the door after a hard nights drinking. The cool, salty air of Port Peril hits you in the face, managing to sober you up a little.

    The sobering feeling was short lived. They struck with alarming precision for a band of brigands, and you did not have the motor function to hold them off. Two of them came up to either side of you and grabbed hold of your arms, a third pulls a hood down over your face, and a fourth one smacks something solid over the back of your head before you could cry out.

    Something tells you that you may miss your boat to Sargava.



    Bizkut and Cho-Tak

    Serendipity can be a bitch sometimes. Just as Cho-Tak mentioned sailors passing out, you both find yourselves feeling dizzy. As your eyesight starts to dim and drop onto the table, you just barely manage to figure out that you had been drugged before you lose consiousness entirely.


    Drex

    The conversation seems to be going your way, and you'd flirt with this woman all night if you could, but fate seems to have other things in store for you. You start to feel dizzy, your mind and body slowly slipping away from you. As you look into Sandara's face, you can tell that she's starting to feel it too.

    "Aww... damn..." she mutters. Her head then slams hard into the bar in front of her.

    You slowly begin to realize that you had been sipping out of that mug of yours all night before you handed it to her, and she got a much larger dose when she downed it all. The effects were nearly instantaneous with her than with you, but once it hit you it hits you hard and you quickly find yourself joining her. Your last consious thought was the feeling of being carried away by your arms and legs.

  13. Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    The first thing you become aware of was the familiar creeking of wood and swaying gently up and down in an abyss of nothingness. As you all slowly fade back into consiousness, you become aware of the taste of sea salt in the air and the feeling of your body swinging in a hammock. It does not take a genius to recognize that you are on a ship.

    Kal tries to open his eyes, but immediately regrets it. Even the dim light of the crews quarters of the ship is too much to take. He wakes up in the haze of a brutal hangover, made all the more joyous by the knot in the back of his head.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Kal is sickened


    This was also around the time a series of foot falls stomps down the stairs, all much too loudly for Kal's liking. Down came a man in a big black coat which only served to show how thin he was, flanked on all sides by six rough looking pirates, and carrying a whip in his hand. He looks at you all with what was supposed to be a smile, but it came out as a wicked snarl.

    "Waz this? Still abed with the sun over the yardarm? On yer feet, ye lazy swabs! Git on deck and report for duty a'fore Cap'n Harrigan flays yer flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts serve ye up fer breakfast!"

    "Ughh... sausage skins are made from intestines you swit..." Murmurs a feminine voice.

    The attempt of a smile washes from the mans face, and he cracks his whip at the offending young woman.

    "THEN HE'LL GUT YE! Watsit matter? On yer feet! On deck! Now! Move it!"

  14. Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Bizkut opened his eyes, glancing around in confusion. Last he remembered was sitting at the table, finishing his meal when ...

    As he thought about the evening before, the pieces fell into place. The complainer ... the drinking contest ... the different server bringing over his food ... the johnny-on-the-spot neer-do-wells in the corner ... Dammit, he'd been drugged!

    Shaking clear the cobwebs, he glanced around the hold, only to be greeted by the stomping of boots and the arrival of a sterotypical pirate. The shouts and insults were nothing - he had endured them before. But to be trapped ... enslaved ... that was something that he would not live through again.

    However, there were seven of them and only one of him. Without any weapons, or the element of surprise, he'd end up thrown to the sharks quicker than you could say "Kill the little one!" No, this was going to be a true test of his self-discipline; but could he relieve the nightmare again? Yes ... yes he could. He had 'earned' his freedom before, and he would do it again.

    Bizkut knew the rules of surviving slavery - never be first, never be last, and never stand out. He waited for the others to stir, then rose as they did. When they moved to head out, he kept to the middle of the pack. When his captors weren't looking, he watched them, counted weapons, took note of mannerisms and quirks ... and always looked for who had the keys.

    He would play the game - but what they didn't know was that when it came to his freedom, Bizkut played for blood.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what we need right here, but trying to assess the situation and gather a little intel by observing our captors as surreptitiously as possible. Also, Bizkut will take stock of what he's got in his pocketses, and try to snag something that will work as a make-shift lockpick (if they are shackled). Game on!
    Posting as normal - weekends are limited, weekdays are good!

    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  15. Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "Besmara's tits and Gozreh's gash..." came a pained groan from under the woman and the blankets she was lying on, followed by mutterings in what sounded like Polyglot and Tien, even a smattering of Aquan - all probably similar namings of divine body parts.

    Cho-Tak's eyes blinked open as he took stock of his situation. He felt like there had been a bar fight in his brain, everything was moving, and he was pinned down by something. A quick fumble to see if his pants were on... yup, they were. Damn, pressganged. Now this is NOT part of the Plan.

    Cursing, Cho-Tak finagled his hands free from under the covers and sought a hand-hold to pull himself out of whatever weight he was under. He managed a hold of something and pulled his head out of the blankets... only to see that he was holding a nice handful of a human woman's bosom. "Uh... hello there, gorgeous", the flabbergasted tengu, his brain still delivering damage reports, managed to say. "You come here often?"
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  16. Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Bizkut

    The situation brings back the unpleasant memories from your enslavement, but you valiently pushes them aside. you would deal with those later. Above all else, you're a survivor, and one of the first rules of survival was to be fully aware of just how deep your in it.

    Obviously your weapons are gone, and you find yourself sorely missing their familiar weight. Your armor as well as your backpack and pouch are also missing, leaving you with only your clothes and your waterskin and you doubt you'll be killing anyone with those.

    The pirate with the whip seems to be the one in charge of this little group, and the way he grips his whip you can tell that he is eager to use it. Close beside him is a stocky dwarf with a long, pointed, ugly nose sticking out of his face. He folds his arms over his chest and a well crafted cutlass is at his side.

    There is also a scowling half-orc with a double axe slung on his back, a fat man with a shaved head, a woman with large ears, and several other nondescript pirate folk and they are all armed and armored. It is definately in your best interest to not provoke any of them.


    Cho-Tak

    "EEK!"

    Almost too fast for your addled mind to handle, you are knocked from your hammock when a fist mashed into your beak. Had you been unlucky enough to have been born with a human nose, it would most certainly have been broken. The assembled pirates were sent laughing.

    "I love that joke..."

    Having been jolted awake, you finally notice that your weapons, armor, and backpack are gone leaving you only with your cards and your scarf.

  17. Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Bizkut nodded to himself, waiting for the others to rise. Glancing around, he recognized at some of the folks from the tavern, most notably the birdman and the drinker from the contest. Hopefully there was enough sense in their drug and alcohol addled brains to keep their head's down and their mouths shut, but enough fire in their bellies to stand and fight when the time was right.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Whoops, forgot to check out the folks that were shanghaied!
    Posting as normal - weekends are limited, weekdays are good!

    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  18. Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    The laughter.

    That idiotic guffaw of men thinking themselves oh so blessedly clever.

    Gods, Cho-Tak hated that laughter, especially when it was aimed at him. Jumping back on his feet, the angered tengu eyed the men and let out a long, angry and definitely avian scream, his feathers ruffling as his dark eyes stared at the men. It was a trick Cho-Tak had learned from observing a chickcharney once; those gangly little birds certainly had a menacing air about them when provoked.

    "Think yourself funny when your privates blister and fall off", the tengu hissed. "'cause that's the price of angering a jinx eater." With a single angered quork Cho-Tak then looked at the woman in the hammock. "Ma'am", he said, tipping his worn tricorne before hobbling to where the other "fresh meat" were.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Intimidate:
    (1d20+5)[20]

    And then Perception on the rest of the new crewmen:
    (1d20+8)[27]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  19. Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Cho-Tak

    The laughter instantly stops, dead silence filling the room broken only when they started muttering to each other if this was actually a good idea. A few of them even took to checking the inside of their pants to see if their boys are still attached. The pirate with the whip starts quacking in his oversized boots, and you think you can hear his gold teeth clacking together.

    "Oh, yeah? W-well... ye still gotta go see the Cap'n. A-a-and e'll gut ye he will! 'E ain't afraid a no curses!"

    The bar may have been crowded that night, but you still manage to make out a few familiar faces. The slip from last night was easy enough to make out, sans his weapons of course.

    You also manage to recognize the woman you "bedded" last night. She was the one who was flirting with a man at the bar, and speak of the devil there he was laying in another cot. You also spot the half-elf from the drinking contest who wasn't looking too good, but what could you expect when you try to drink like a fish?

    There was also one other man sitting up in his cot. He looked about with bleary drunken eyes, smacking his dry lips together.

    "Hey? Hashh anyone shheen my teeth?" he asks, his breath whistling through the gaps in his teeth.

    But beyond recognizing who was there, you also recognized what they were missing. The woman was missing her rapier and her necklass, the man she was with had a cutlass and pistol which were gone now, and the half elf had lost his potions.

    All of their weapons, armor, and most of their gear had been stripped from them. They were in no condition to be taking on pirates.

  20. Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Cho-Tak couldn't help but grin around his beak when he saw the pirates shivering in their boots. The pecking order's been set, he chuckled inwardly. The mention of the captain got only a quork and a click of his beak out of him, nothing more. It was one thing to make sure these fools thought twice before letting him have the whip; a whole different kind of approach was needed against the captain, lest he be plucked just so these sea dogs could tar and feather him.

    "Better get it over and done with, then", the tengu muttered as he walked over to the halfling. "So you decided to join this here pleasure cruise as well, huh?"
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  21. Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Bizkut watched as Cho-Tak's gambit worked ... for now. They were surprised, assuming that their new 'crewmen' would be broken, and the tengu's response had clearly taken them aback. But knowing how these cowards worked, they would get back at the birdman later, at a time and place of their chosing, when the deck was stacked in their favor.

    Of course, since there wasn't a brain among them, the damage was already done. If they could be cowed, even armed and outnumbering the bird, then they would have no stomach for the real fighting. Good to know. Hopefully Cho-Tak hopefully knew better than to try that on the Captain, who would HAVE to kill him just to keep control.

    As Cho-Tak walked over and muttering, Bizkut shrugged and murmured back, "Heard the food was to die for ..." Glancing at the guards, he warned the birdman, "Don't get caught alone ... they'll want revenge ..."
    Posting as normal - weekends are limited, weekdays are good!

    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  22. Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Thattaman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leeds, Great Britain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Drex awakes and sits up, checking his surroundings. "Oh, god, we've been press-ganged." He mutters to himself and then instantly checks his belt for his trustiy pistol. Gone. "Damn." He mutters again. Then he sees the woman who he was talking to last night. "At least something is looking up." He mutters for the third time and goes over to speak to her. "Well, hello again, looks like we are on a ship together after all, good to know that there's a familar face here. And a nice welcome present, a drug in the drink and forced to join. Rather unorthadox."

  23. Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "Not soon, and not while we're at sea, I reckon", Cho-Tak answered to the halfling's warning. "It's bad luck to harm a tengu aboard, you see", he added as he looked around. "'course, there's parts in these waters where they don't think too highly of your ilk, either. So whaddaya say, Biz? You watch my back an' I watch yours?"
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  24. Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Bizkut glanced around, and nodded. He appreciated Cho-Tak's confidence, but wouldn't bet his life on the fact that he could still be in danger. Of course, it was his feathered arse, so ...

    At the offer, Bizkut glanced at the tengu, then nodded and shook on it. "I might not always be able to see that high, but I'll do my best."

    Shaking his head while smiling wryly, Bizkut wandered at the irony of it all. Who would've thought that of all the people in this town, he would be allied with a creature he was ready to battle just last night? Ah, but survival made for strange bedfellows, as the pretty woman had recently found out, and if Bizkut was anything, it was a survivor.

    Now, if they could bring in some of the others ... they might just make it out of here soon than they thought.
    Posting as normal - weekends are limited, weekdays are good!

    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  25. Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Athaleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    For a long time, Kal just lay there in a pile of his own headache, unable to move or even groan. It hurt to open his eyes, even in the dim light. He instinctively squeezed his eyes shut, and that hurt too. The full implications of his situation would have to wait until the overwhelming fog stopped clouding his mind.

    At length, he finally summons the willpower to slur "%$#@, could you all shut up for about a day?"

  26. Top - End - #56
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    "Aww look, 'e made a friend, see? Ain't that sweet?" Mocks the pirate. He kicks Bizkut towards the stairs, "Get movin' slip!"

    He glares hard at Cho-Tak, but gives him a wide berth. He continues to glare as Sandara and Drex also move on deck, but he saves his best look of disdain for the half-elf in the cot.

    "Jape. Grab 'im!"

    The massive half-orc stomps his way towards Kal, his pale green hand clenches around the back of his neck and hauls him onto his feet. He looks at the last sailor, who still sat dazed and confused.

    "Who are you? Have you shheen my teeth?"

    "Him too!"

    "Urk!"

    He soon found himself in Jape's other huge fist, and soon Kal and he were being hauled out on deck dangling by their necks.

    The sun was nearly blinding, and the deck was awash with working pirates. Most of them steal a glance towards you before turning back, not eager to be caught looking inattentive in their duties. The shores of Port Peril was by now just a blurry haze off the stern, many miles away.

    Waiting for you is a man with a clean shaven head with a long pony tail dangling down his back. His vest is open, showing his muscled chest, and his face was stuck in a perpetual frown.

    "I got 'em Mister Plugg, just as ye asked. Six swabs joinin' our happy crew, just waitin fer yer orders."

    "Were they any trouble," asked Mister Plugg, as though he asked if he stubbed his toe while hauling crates on board.

    "Just these two Mister Plugg," said the pirate, motioning to the two in Jape's grasp, "lazy swabs wouldn't even git outta bed. Had ta have Jaundice Jape haul 'em aboard."

    "We do not tolerate laziness onboard the Wormwood, Master Scourge," said Plugg, sounding very board with this whole affair, "You know the penalty. Three lashes."

    "Yes sir!" said Scourge, very eager to carry out his orders. He motioned with his hand, and Kal and the sailor were dragged to the main mast, their shirts stripped off, and bound to the mast. The crew soon stopped to gather round the pole and watch. With sadistic glee, Scourge cracks his whip down on the unfortunate man.

    CRACK!

    Blood spattered on the deck as the whip tore a gash across his shoulder, the man cries out in pain.

    "ONE!" calls the crew.

    CRACK!

    "TWO!"

    CRACK!

    "THREE!"

    Scourge slowly strolls around towards Kal, drawing out the bated breath of the crowd, and then lashes his whip across Kal's back. It is a pain he feels through his entire body as the whip comes down.

    CRACK!

    "ONE!"

    CRACK!

    "TWO!"

    CRACK

    "THREE!"

    The crowd cheers, even as blood drips down from their backs. Scourge turns back towards the crowd.

    "What are ye'all cheerin' about! Back to work! Or it'll be you on the mast!"

    Kal and the unnamed sailor dropped to the deck as they were cut down from the main mast.

    "And you two! Back in line!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    The unnamed sailor has 4 nonlethal damage.
    Kal recieves 6 nonlethal damage.

  27. Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Bizkut cursed under his breath, apparently having forgotten his own rule about not standing out. Moving into line, he marked the pirate that mocked him, knowing there would be an accounting later.

    Once on the deck, he took stock of the situation. The shore was fading fast, and there were more pirates than you could shake a stick at. Before he could take in much more, the group was subjected to the meting of punishment to drunk and drunker. Bizkut didn't flinch, having been subjected to the lash more times than he could count. It did provide motivation to stay in line for now - especially since this Mr. Plugg seemed fairly uncompromising.

    Returning to his place once the beating was done, Bizkut glanced around for anything else of interest ... where the captain was, what kind of tools the pirates were using, impression of the crew, etc.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check: (1d20+7)[17]; KS: Local - (1d20+5)[12]
    Posting as normal - weekends are limited, weekdays are good!

    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!

  28. Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Athaleon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    As adrenaline and the fiery pain of the lash burned Kal into compliance, he gritted his teeth and slowly stood up and got in line. Still too ravaged to be properly pissed off, but he made sure to remember the names. Plugg and Scourge, two for the list.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2012-11-08 at 01:43 PM.

  29. Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Cho-Tak had shut his beak when their captors walked up on the deck. This Mister Plugg... he had the bearing of a captain, or at least the first mate. This was a man not to be cowed but coerced, the tengu figured.

    "Keep your eyes front", he whispered under his breath to Bizkut. "Don't let them catch you looking away", he continued while he did his own furtive check of his surroundings - as well as tried to wrack his brain if he'd heard these names before. The Wormwood was apparently the ship... but who was her master and commander? Was it this Plugg?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check:
    (1d20+8)[14]

    Knowledge (Local) untrained:
    (1d20+1)[20]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  30. Top - End - #60
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

    Though you've only been in Port Peril a short time, you have heard that people tend to disappear a lot near the docks, and it isn't too much of a stretch to believe that at least some of these pirates are likely in the same position as you are.

    It's also apparent that the captain likes to keep a busy crew, you see them swabbing the floors, tying ropes, and repairing their equipment. You also see a lot of things lying about the ship that may come in handy such as buckets, ropes, hammers, hooks, and spikes.

    Cho-Tak knows that the Wormwood is captained by a Barnabas Harrigan, but no more than that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •