Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 174
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    maybe the books are worded differently but the pf srd say it works like two weapon fighting.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    maybe the books are worded differently but the pf srd say it works like two weapon fighting.
    They do now.
    EDIT: I realized this may be confusing. The PF SRD says it works like Two Weapon Fighting now, after SKR made the post.
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2012-10-29 at 11:10 PM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Darthteej's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    But wasn't Flurry of Blows effectiveley like Two-Weapon-Fighting before? In that you took a -2 to all your attack rolls and got to stack a bunch of attacks on as a benefit?

    Call me crazy(and you can, since I am now Sneak Attack On A Charge Guy), but I don't see any problem with this
    Sup ho.

    Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    But wasn't Flurry of Blows effectiveley like Two-Weapon-Fighting before? In that you took a -2 to all your attack rolls and got to stack a bunch of attacks on as a benefit?

    Call me crazy(and you can, since I am now Sneak Attack On A Charge Guy), but I don't see any problem with this
    The only things twf had in common with flurry were the penalty and the extra attack, they were otherwise entirely different animals. There was none of this main hand/off hand crap, you could use the same weapon for the whole flurry, and if you were so inclined you could stack it on top of twf for extra attacks (not always the best idea, but at least an option.)

    I didn't actually read the quote from SKR (I didn't want to hurt my brain) but with his track record, I'd be surprised if any of that was still true.

    How does PF handle it? (dare I ask)
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    But wasn't Flurry of Blows effectiveley like Two-Weapon-Fighting before? In that you took a -2 to all your attack rolls and got to stack a bunch of attacks on as a benefit?

    Call me crazy(and you can, since I am now Sneak Attack On A Charge Guy), but I don't see any problem with this
    I haven't played a lot of Monks, so I could be wrong, but I remember it being similar to, but distinctly different from, TWF.
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I didn't actually read the quote from SKR (I didn't want to hurt my brain) but with his track record, I'd be surprised if any of that was still true.
    To be fair to SKR, it seems he doesn't make all the rulings on his own. He's just the only one that tells us the rulings.
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2012-10-29 at 11:26 PM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I didn't actually read the quote from SKR (I didn't want to hurt my brain) but with his track record, I'd be surprised if any of that was still true.

    How does PF handle it? (dare I ask)
    They changed it so it works the way he said.

    Which, among other things, means you can't use TWF and Flurry together, the justification being (roughly) that both involve "attacking all-out" (which could cover any number of things, such as Heedless Charge, Power Attack, Rage...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Darthteej's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    So the only thing that changed was that the debate about whether you could stack TWF and FoB was rendered moot, something that no one in their right mind would do anyway.

    And the clause about the +5 sai vs unarmed strikes, I thought they were just plain common sense. Now don't get me wrong, this rule still screws over the zen archer, but everything else seems to be how Flurry worked before.
    Sup ho.

    Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    I wrote a one-act play based off of that story in my high school english class, it ended up on stage.
    Can you post the play? Pleeaassee??

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Menteith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesnowta

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    So the only thing that changed was that the debate about whether you could stack TWF and FoB was rendered moot, something that no one in their right mind would do anyway.

    And the clause about the +5 sai vs unarmed strikes, I thought they were just plain common sense. Now don't get me wrong, this rule still screws over the zen archer, but everything else seems to be how Flurry worked before.
    Today I learned that I'm not in the right mind when I TWF + FoB on a Pounce, despite it seeming to be legal by RAW.
    Last edited by Menteith; 2012-10-30 at 12:33 AM.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    toapat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    I am now Sneak Attack On A Charge Guy
    can i sig this?

    Also: i find it funny, because like in 3.5, monks still are not proficient with unarmed strikes in PF

    i thought though that flury didnt stack with TWF


    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

    PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

    I use Red when I'm angry, I use blue when I'm excited.
    Drow avatar @ myself

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    can i sig this?

    Also: i find it funny, because like in 3.5, monks still are not proficient with unarmed strikes in PF

    i thought though that flury didnt stack with TWF
    Apparently they don't in PF, but there's absolutely nothing in 3.5's RAW to prevent it. The bigger issue is taking the extra -2 for a single extra attack. It's usually not a good trade-off, but it can be made to work.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    toapat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Apparently they don't in PF, but there's absolutely nothing in 3.5's RAW to prevent it. The bigger issue is taking the extra -2 for a single extra attack. It's usually not a good trade-off, but it can be made to work.
    eh, not like id ever roll a monk anyway, they arent really my thing

    If i was insane though, id still stick to using a staff. no other monk weapon though.


    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

    PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

    I use Red when I'm angry, I use blue when I'm excited.
    Drow avatar @ myself

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    eh, not like id ever roll a monk anyway, they arent really my thing

    If i was insane though, id still stick to using a staff. no other monk weapon though.
    I'm rather fond of a monk. I tend to play in low-op games, in spite of my optimization chops, though.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Actually, the bold there is correct. The rules shouldn't just be a tool for making a character that's awesome at everything and never fails. Neither should they just be a tool for the DM to tell his epic story with no player input.

    What the rules are supposed to be, in my (and I'd wager more than few others') opinion, is a tool for the group as, a whole, to tell awesome stories with awesome characters from both sides of the screen.

    It's not just the DM's story and it's not just the players' story, it's everybody's story and a way to have a good time.
    this dm is of the mindset to make us play along to his story, strong armed a couple decisions i made in game to get his way. i recall an incident my main group had with him when he messed something up. our dm told him dont worry about, people make mistakes, its how we learn. His literal response, "i dont make mistakes." said in full-serious btw
    we all stopped what we were doing and gave the death glare. so much arrogance
    Last edited by roarinflames; 2012-10-30 at 01:28 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by roarinflames View Post
    this dm is of the mindset to make us play along to his story, strong armed a couple decisions i made in game to get his way. i recall an incident my main group had with him when he messed something up. our dm told him dont worry about, people make mistakes, its how we learn. His literal response, "i dont make mistakes." said in full-serious btw
    we all stopped what we were doing and gave the death glare. so much arrogance
    Depending on how aggravated I was already, that's the kind of line that could easily push me into taking the first swing. Then again, I don't think I'd consort with anyone that arrogant long enough to -get- that annoyed in the first place.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-30 at 01:43 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MarsRendac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Depending on how aggravated I was already, that's the kind of line that could easily push me into taking the first swing. Then again, I don't think I'd consort with anyone that arrogant long enough to -get- that annoyed in the first place.
    You're fine peeps, Kelb.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Firechanter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    To be fair to SKR, it seems he doesn't make all the rulings on his own. He's just the only one that tells us the rulings.
    Well I would expect his voice to have some weight among his peers, though. And when I hear SKR, I primarily think of his personal homepage and the hilarious nonsense he wrote there in full earnest. Really, read it to catch a glimpse of how this man understands the game he has helped write. It may cost some Sanity Points, though.
    What's probably taking the cake would be his proposed "feat point system", where just for example he expresses the opinion that Skill Focus is twice as valuable as Quicken Spell.

    So, yeah... when I read "SKR", I don't really expect anything more than a facepalm.
    So you know, university Physics D&D 3.5 Optimization is essentially three seven years of this discussion among like-minded enthusiasts. Done with supercomputers, access to the textsplatbook collections of five continents and thirty languages with thousands of classes, prestige classes, feats and spells.
    On four hours sleep a night.
    With no sex.
    You're not going to find the loophole these guys missed.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarsRendac View Post
    You're fine peeps, Kelb.
    Ya see, the problem with text as a form of communication is that tone doesn't translate well.

    I honestly have no idea if this is a genuine compliment, given because I have the good sense to walk away, or a sarcastic barb, because I'm of such violent nature to be inclined to attack someone for being an insufferable jackass.

    This is why I'm glad the blue text for sarcasm is catching on.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    OT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    This is why I'm glad the blue text for sarcasm is catching on.
    Any suggestions for a special color to indicate extra sincerity, or something? Sometimes I worry that merely the lack of blue does not quite convey it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    OT:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Any suggestions for a special color to indicate extra sincerity, or something? Sometimes I worry that merely the lack of blue does not quite convey it.
    Still OT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not a clue. I'd be surprised if one caught on though. Sarcasm is rather noticeably more prevalent than great sincerity in my experience.

    Btw, you realize that there's not much point in spoilering that since nearly everyone will open it, given that you didn't address it to anyone in particular?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    OT for great justice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Not a clue. I'd be surprised if one caught on though. Sarcasm is rather noticeably more prevalent than great sincerity in my experience.
    Heh, fair enough.

    If one did, though, perhaps a sort of green?

    Btw, you realize that there's not much point in spoilering that since nearly everyone will open it, given that you didn't address it to anyone in particular?
    I ... had not actually thought of that, but oh well, I got no other idea on how to handle that.


    And I just did it again. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydnah, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    In a mid-op game, I gave people lower than t3, amongst other bonuses, an extra round of actions for each iterative attack they had.

    t1 and t2 people still dominated the party's interactions with the world.

    But the melee got to feel like badasses in combat (even though the fights were still being won by Solid Fog and Wall of Stone etc).

    I'd only recommend it for mid-op to high-op groups, i.e. the ones that take druids/clerics/wizards off the rails and shove them up monsters' butts, but it did make taking a fighter a more attractive choice.


    That group doesn't sound like it was the rules that were the problem, though, just complete derp and failure to play by any set of consistent rules. High power games can be fun, but games where there aren't consistent rules are horrible, because it becomes 'guess which way the DM is going to rule things' and becomes a social exercise not a roleplaying one.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    Have you actually read the original post?
    Yes and to me it looked like the guy's DM is an idiot. That's how I interprated it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Augmental View Post
    Who said that, and where?
    Me, every time there's an issue about the game because someone disagrees with the DM. If all players feel the DM isn't being fair and that the DM could be running a better game, then it's the DM's fault. If there's a problem player constantly whining about how the DM is being unfair because of their sucky dice rolls, or a rule that won't allow them certain advantages, then it's the player at fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    The rules shouldn't just be a tool for making a character that's awesome at everything and never fails. Neither should they just be a tool for the DM to tell his epic story with no player input.

    What the rules are supposed to be, in my (and I'd wager more than few others') opinion, is a tool for the group as, a whole, to tell awesome stories with awesome characters from both sides of the screen.

    It's not just the DM's story and it's not just the players' story, it's everybody's story and a way to have a good time.
    You mind if I use that as my sig?

    Quote Originally Posted by roarinflames View Post
    this dm is of the mindset to make us play along to his story, strong armed a couple decisions i made in game to get his way. i recall an incident my main group had with him when he messed something up. our dm told him dont worry about, people make mistakes, its how we learn. His literal response, "i dont make mistakes." said in full-serious btw
    we all stopped what we were doing and gave the death glare. so much arrogance
    If the whole group hates how the DM runs things, you should elect a new DM, or have somebody step up and take charge. It's clear this guy's games aren't going to go anywhere the group as a whole will enjoy.
    If all else fails, you could join my group, we've been looking for a Cleric since the DM decided on a tier 1 campaign.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Back when we first started playing 3.0, when it was first released, I'm not entirely sure any of us actually read the rules.

    On incremental increases to class stuff, e.g. BAB/Saves: Those + signs mean we add right? So from lvl 1 to 2, it was 3. From lvl 2 to lvl 3 it was obviously 3+3. Same thing for saves!

    So it wasn't uncommon to have level 12 characters with 3 forms of confusing Bab (+6/+1? obviously we get a second pool of bab! In other words +21/+1)

    Greater cleave doesn't let you do those free 5 steps that you can do whenever you aren't moving? Our strategy vs everything was arcane archer storm of arrows, paladin g. cleaves everything. So after every cleave he moved 5 feet, usually going up to 80+ feet to kill everything. In full plate.

    Saves were obviously obscenely high, making us wonder how anyone could lose to a mage.

    Strangely we got spells right, I think because it wasn't too different from 2nd ed.

    Characters came in at level 1, regardless of the level of the rest of the party. I died so many times trying to catch up to party level when they were 10+.

    *edit* Oh yeah, Monks were sick good, as not only did you have the obviously better flurry chart due to the number of extra attacks, that eventually began to hit after peaking at -3/-3 to hit, began to hit pretty well. You could dual wield those attacks, with only a -2/-2 to the first chart first 2 numbers! The recent posts about monks flurry in PF reminded me of that. And the damage! A monk was dealing 1D6+1D6+1D6+1D8+1D8+str per hit at level five!
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2012-10-30 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    A monk was dealing 1D6+1D6+1D6+1D8+1D8+str per hit at level five!
    So no one noticed that the monk damage table, unlike BAB and saves, did not have a + sign in front of everything?

    I imagine monks also ended up with crazy high AC after a while, with the level based bonus scaling up like that.
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    I once had a horrific game which combined horrific home rules and terrible rp setting.

    1- the DM decided (or vastly misinterpretated) to replace the str/dex bonus by the stat itself. As for CA, he decided to add the full str to heavy armor, full dex to light/unarmed and the better of str and dex to medium.

    2- same rule, of course, applied to damage. Neeldess to say, after the first fight against a petty thief, the whole groupe was down to almost 0 hp left.

    3- magic (well, divine) healing was "too overpowered, unrealistic", so he limited it to an off-combat, very long conjuring spell that could, in case of success make us regain life over time.

    4- every spell was bound to a dex-based test to be successfully cast if it involved a gestual component.

    5- at some point, our group was captured and split up in different cells. To reflect that, naturally, he made us play alone while others were in another room. The problem is that these scenes were awfully, terribly long, and we had to wait for a complete hour for each one. It was a disastrous mood killer.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2012

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Back when we first started playing 3.0, when it was first released, I'm not entirely sure any of us actually read the rules.

    On incremental increases to class stuff, e.g. BAB/Saves: Those + signs mean we add right? So from lvl 1 to 2, it was 3. From lvl 2 to lvl 3 it was obviously 3+3. Same thing for saves!

    So it wasn't uncommon to have level 12 characters with 3 forms of confusing Bab (+6/+1? obviously we get a second pool of bab! In other words +21/+1)

    Greater cleave doesn't let you do those free 5 steps that you can do whenever you aren't moving? Our strategy vs everything was arcane archer storm of arrows, paladin g. cleaves everything. So after every cleave he moved 5 feet, usually going up to 80+ feet to kill everything. In full plate.

    Saves were obviously obscenely high, making us wonder how anyone could lose to a mage.

    Strangely we got spells right, I think because it wasn't too different from 2nd ed.
    I smell a dnd fix! melee gets good things, monks are decent, and casters get a huge nerf! Totally playtesting this!

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London, England

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    Harldy a competitor for worst ever but a recent thread made me recall the time my new wizard (just rolled up, first few minutes of play) got jumped on and eaten by a Landshark...

    The GM was kinda eager to kill PCs (my previous PC had died due to the GM deliberately misinterpreting what I said) and I had just met up with the party.

    Why is this a bad interpretation? well the new Wizard was an elf, which Bulette's refuse to eat, and they have scent so it would know to avoid him (and eat one of the tastier party members instead).
    Doug

    Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    refluffing monsters or changing their habbits isnt really a bad dm call. Its more a setting thing.

    also scent only pinpoints a creatures sqaure if hes within 5 feet of it so assume it poped out of the ground directly beneath you it would have no way to diferentiate an elf from any nearby huminoids. (That ignores the fact that ive had dms who required sense to have line of effect so you would not be able to smell anything underground)
    Last edited by awa; 2012-10-30 at 02:00 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kelb_Panthera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Worst interpretation of the rules ever?

    @Threadnaught

    You can try and put that quote in your sig if you want, but it may be too long to fit.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

    Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •