New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Easy access to Spring Attack/Jaunter PrC

The Jaunter PrC is found in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. It's a 4-level prestige class that includes some nice movement-related abilities (baleful transposition, teleport, plane shift, that sort of thing), requires a generally high DEX (since the ability that gives the movement powers is keyed to DEX), and so on and so forth. I'd like to know if it's possible to enter the class at second level (off a 1st level Bard, if possible, but I'm happy with other options as well), or at 3rd level at the very latest via early-entry tricks. The requirements:

Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranks.
    Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack.
    Must have visited two or more planes other than his home plane.

The skill ranks aren't hard to get. The "visited two or more planes" part is tricky, but can be swung with some creative/inventive backstory or an exotic 1st level adventure.

The problem comes from the three-feat chain, or more specifically the final one (Spring Attack). Dodge and Mobility just have a DEX 13 requirement (and Mobility requires Dodge as a pre-req), and can be obtained with either a 1st level feat plus a flaw, or a human bonus feat if the character is human (I haven't yet decided, though it'll probably be an elf, meaning I'll need a flaw). Spring Attack, however, demands a +4 BAB. Is there a way to get around this, such as with another feat that might "count as" Spring Attack for pre-reqs (a replacement pre-req, that is), a way of getting the feat despite normal prerequisites, an ACF for a class that functions the same as Spring Attack, a martial maneuver, or basically anything that will get around this problem?
    Last edited by Alleran; 2012-10-30 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Easy access to Spring Attack/Jaunter PrC

All I can think of is deliberately misusing/RAW-abusing the Martial Monk from Dragon #310.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BAB requirements are essentially impossible to circumvent without extreme cheese that often pushes a build right into TO. Pretty sure there's some loony Dusk Giant/level drain/Inspire Greatness cheese that can do this; also pretty sure you shouldn't really try, unless you're already into about the Team Solars level of op.

I'm not aware off-hand of any substitutes for Spring Attack, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Varags (MM IV) gain Spring Attack ans Run as bonus feats, have decent melee stats (though, you'll probably be dumb as brick, they have -4 Int or something like that); but they have 3 RHD and either LA +1 or +2.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Their LA is +2, which means that it takes long time to buy it off. And that Humanoid hit dice isn't so hot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I could have swore they were monstrous humanoids...
    Just call me Dusk

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

they are goblinoid specifically...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I think my mind tryed to protect myself from utter dissapointment, since Humanoid RHD sucks beyond measure while Monstrous Humanoids are far more palatable.
    Just call me Dusk