New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

eek [3.5] Factotum-Spellthief-Chameleon. Please help

Hello playgrounders.

After a few years long break, I'm finally playing D&D again.

I'm trying to get into chameleon through factotum, and I was wondering if it could be worth dipping spellthief for master spellthief, and if caster levels from factotum's arcane dilettante would stack with the others.

My idea was making a support character, skillmonkey-ing and making (ab)use of the reduced spell levels of some arcane/divine Prc's spell lists for buffing.

Should I go straight factotum until I get into chameleon? Straight spellthief and taste the infamous CL30's of master spellthief? Maybe dip spellwarp snipper in the build and burn a feat in the martial stance that grants some SA and blast a little bit too?

I'm really open to any advice, but since I'm new in the group and haven't seen them playing yet, I can't tell how optimized the party is.

Thank you in advance for the help, and please excuse my poor English, It's not my first languaje.
    Last edited by Hello-Cthulhu; 2012-10-29 at 12:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Factotum-Spellthief-Chameleon. Please help

The most typical factotum/chameleon goes factotum 8 for cunning surge and then advances in chameleon from there. Spellthief could be reasonable if you've planning on taking your first level in chameleon at 6, but I wouldn't recommend the 4 levels of it you'd need for master spellthief. Still, if you're planning on entering at 6th you probably don't need more than 3 levels in factotum, and a 1 level dip in spellthief for sneak attack and such could be useful.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: [3.5] Factotum-Spellthief-Chameleon. Please help

Without another casting class (or taking Spellthief to 9), you won't qualify for Master Spellthief.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Without another casting class (or taking Spellthief to 9), you won't qualify for Master Spellthief.
    Ehh...the wording is a bit ambiguous on that. If your DM counts the spellthief as being able to cast stolen 2nd level spells, you'd qualify for the feat at more like 4.

Or ask if spell-like abilities will qualify for it under facto.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mishkov View Post
    Ehh...the wording is a bit ambiguous on that. If your DM counts the spellthief as being able to cast stolen 2nd level spells, you'd qualify for the feat at more like 4.

Or ask if spell-like abilities will qualify for it under facto.
    That's between you and your DM, I guess. But remember, you lose the benefit of a feat if you don't currently qualify for it. If you are counting on always having a second level spell stolen, then I hope your DM sends you a never ending string of disposable 3-4th level casters.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ok, I think I get it.

CL from spellthief adds to chameleon CL and vice-versa after taking master spellthief, but spellcasting from the chameleon Prc does not qualify for the feat, so no 1 level dip into spellthief.

Thank you guys!