New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Psion/Sangehirn Feats?

So I have looked through a few guide books, and even googled and not much falls in the realm of feats for theses folks.

I have a feeling that a psion healer is less about healing all the time, and more of allowing the main damage dealer , more time to work on the main villain before he has to retreat because of damage.

Could someone help me with a basic rundown of a level 8 version of this, on something that is rather new to me.

*SideNote* sorry for the warforged handbook , could not help it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Psion/Sangehirn Feats?

Sangehirn is better for Ardents (since being slapped with a new power list is actually pretty nice for them).

By 8th level, you can be a Psion (but only Egoist because of the Heal requirement) 5/Sangehirn 3. You lose out on the four 4th level powers you'd be entitled to from Psion, but get the only important ability a Sangehirn has.

Being behind on ML is a bit of a pain, so you can take Overchannel to catch up. Avoid the damage with Talented (since you're probably augmenting low-level powers anyway). Since you need focus for both Talented and Healing Touch, you'll need Psicrystal Affinity and Psicrystal Containment to have two focuses at once, and Psionic Meditation to recover them quickly.

Since 4th level Sangehirn powers can't be Healing Touched, you're probably using your 3 levels in Sangehirn to pick up the low level powers that can be used with Healing Touch, so you're likely to be behind on high level powers. If you're a Human, you can move everything up one, and so take Expanded Knowledge at 6th.

So that makes it...

F: Mind Over Body
    F: Psionic Body
    1: Overchannel
    Psi1: Psicrystal Affinity
    3: Talented
    Psi5: Psicrystal Containment
    6: Psionic Meditation
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-10-29 at 07:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Sangehirn is pretty... blah. Really, the only ability you might want from it (Healing Touch) comes 3 levels into the PrC, and since you can go on to learn all the powers it modifies on your own afterward - especially if you're an Egoist or Telepath - you lose nothing but some piddly DR and fast healing by dropping out at that point.

If you want to play psi-healer (and don't have access to the WTM or Vitalist), the Life Mantle will let you do pretty much the same thing. The difference here of course is that, if you're an Egoist/Ardent/Psywar/Wilder/Erudite, you can get that mantle without losing even one ML. So in many cases it's better to just be one of those classes instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought the point of Sanghirn was that you immediately went to three, and then staggered the remaining levels you wanted when you were gonna take one of those powers anyway.

So you snag 3 levels ASAP, then you were gonna get psionic revivify anyway so you take a fourth. You then don't like the 6th level powers, so you don't botherw ith it until 7th level powers, when you hop in for Energy Conversion or sommat.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

5. - Top - End - #5

Interesting I went in an entirely different direction for feats

Mind Over Body
    Psionic Body [psionic]
    Twin Power [psionic]
    Craft Dorje [psionic]
    Craft Universal Item [psionic]

Now If I do the life mantel, the numbers besides each of the spell means which man level I can learn them at?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Those are the levels of the powers. You can learn them whenever you can manifest them (when [manifester level] = 2*[power level]-1).

7. - Top - End - #7

Should I go Pison for the remaning levels or plop into another PRC

Anything i should keep a look out for shopping list wise?

Hmm looking at the crystal master prc

@Egg

So at level 5 if get life mantel, my man would be 3, so x 2 -1 is 5, meaning I could learn Psionic Revivify early compared to normal psion methods?
    Last edited by silverwolfer; 2012-10-29 at 09:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Be careful if you go into another PrC. Most of them lose at least one manifesting level, so if you take more than three PrCs, you're cutting yourself off from 9th level powers. Even if you take just two, make sure to employ Overchannel and Practiced Manifester to keep that all-important Manifester Level at or exceeding your HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9

Well Crystal Master, uses the same feats that have already been suggested, and is simply the cost of 8 ranks thrown away, which help under Sangiun who has an extra 2 points to use.

10. - Top - End - #10

The primary advantage of Sangehirn over Life Mantle is that the former lets you buff the party with Vigor, though you must still do so one person at a time.

However, Life Mantle leaves your PrC choices much more open (letting you access Anarchic Initiate, Meditant, or even stranger choices like Subverted Psion) and gives you a ML boost to its powers. Plus, Ardents with mantle substitution can choose two more powers of any level to add to the list (one of which will likely be Vigor.)

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    So at level 5 if get life mantel, my man would be 3, so x 2 -1 is 5, meaning I could learn Psionic Revivify early compared to normal psion methods?
    Let's see...

Straight Egoist: 9
    Straight Manifester w/ Life Mantle: 9
    Straight Manifester w/o Life Mantle: 11 (EK)
    Ardent Sangehirn: 9
    Other Sangehirn: 10

So you won't actually learn it early, and if you're not an Ardent, you will actually be a little behind some other options thanks to the lost ML. (Though you won't be behind if you're a non-Egoist/non-Mantled X.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #11

True that is assuming am going to be using Ardent, would would split me up into wisdom casting instead of Intelligence casting?

Right now at the cost of 2 manifesting level I have Egotist 5/3 Sang/10 Crystal Master/the rest egotist. **okay maybe I should look up other PRC besides that one

The ENTIRE party is psi, so am not worried about lacking varity in anything. We have psychic warrior/psychic rogue/a blaster PSI

So I will be healing with a few emergency spells, and be crafting items for me to use as "wands" for damage.
    Last edited by silverwolfer; 2012-10-30 at 02:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

True that is assuming am going to be using Ardent, would would split me up into wisdom casting instead of Intelligence casting?
    You wouldn't be "split" - it would move all your manifesting to Wis instead of Int. In fact, this would actually improve your stat spread since you need at least 13 Wis anyway (for Psionic Meditation.)

And if you can get Mantle Sub and Dominant Ideal approved, you can kiss Sangehirn goodbye, leaving you free to take any PrC you want (including Crystal Master if you're still interested.)

The ENTIRE party is psi, so am not worried about lacking varity in anything. We have psychic warrior/psychic rogue/a blaster PSI

So I will be healing with a few emergency spells, and be crafting items for me to use as "wands" for damage.
    Sounds like you could use a controller - this will give you something powerful to do when healing isn't needed. Ardent, Erudite, and Egoist are all good choices for this role, and all three can get the Life Mantle.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy