New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default What would you like to see in a new Star Wars tv series or movie?

I figure I ought to turn this into two threads but just in case this isn't of interest I'll pose both questions in this thread.

1) What would you like to see in the next Star Wars trilogy?

2) What would you like to see if they get the tv series version off the ground?

3) Who would you like to see starring in either of these?

Listened to a few podcasts and so far had at least three or four votes for Nathan Fillion as Han Solo and one saying he's already played Han Solo in Firefly...

Check out Mos Eisley Radio podcast episode 87 and earlier (or next ones if its that much later...) also Order 66 and Threat Detected but please note at least one of these is more inclined towards the roleplaying side.

Me?
    I'd love to see their suggestion for Mark Hamill be in the movie or the tv series say how about both I'm not fussy!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: What would you like to see in a new Star Wars tv series or movie?

I'd like to see either the Thrawn trilogy or the X-wing series.

I could see the X-wing series potentially working out better as a tv show, but I'd be fine with that.

Really, I just don't want the whole EU to get thrown under the bus. That might be enough to make me boycott anything new. I've invested way to much time and money into the EU to take that sitting down.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-11-12 at 02:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I'm hoping for an "A-Team" group of:

1) Admiral Ackbar (the leader)
    2) Wicket the Ewok (the ladies man)
    3) The Wampa from Hoth (the muscle--he'll need a biotic arm though)
    4) Jar-Jar Binks (comic relief)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I checked for an Onion symbol, but didn't find one. Please tell me this is a joke.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I checked for an Onion symbol, but didn't find one. Please tell me this is a joke.
    Nah, it sounds more like silly gossip from unreliable sources. For all we know, the "industry insiders" are two night janitors at Miramax . Cooler heads will realize that bringing back Vader would be a mistake.

On the other hand, bringing back Grand Moff Tarkin as an Elvis impersonator--gold.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    NO! No! No! No! NO! They can't do this. His story is over. It's finished. He returned to the light and redeemed himself. Now he sits in force-heaven with Obi-Wan and Yoda. There is nothing important left to tell. They will RUIN him! You think Vader was ruined by portraiying him as a whiny brat in the sequels? This is nothing compared to this. Bring him back as villain? His WHOLE story is ruined, the great moment of his redemption defiled. Good guy? He is still an iconic villain, one of the most, it would utterly destroy his character. It's just over for him.
    God, you know what, writers? Bring back Palpatine. Do the "Dark Empire" saga. It would still be something completely new for most fans, and the EU wouldn't be decanonized. Palpys return at least made some sense, he was an evil wizard, after all.
    PS
    He, after years of lurking, this finally made me post something.
    Last edited by Dscherro; 2012-11-12 at 07:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I want to see the Thrawn Trilogy. If it's good then awesome, we finally got a good Star Wars movie after all these years! And if it's bad, then the rage of the fanbase will give me sustenance.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as the new trilogy of movies go, I'm okay with where they're going. At first I didn't want anything to do with the New Jedi Order, but after thinking a bit I feel it's only right to continue the timeline. In Return of the Jedi, Luke had just barely become a Jedi. After all he went through, his character was really just at the beginning and deserves having his whole story told.

With regards to bringing back Vader, I'm okay with it but only in a very limited sense. Perhaps as a force ghost to provide some sort of insight. Maybe a revelation in lightsaber technique? He did take a rather unique approach to Style V lightsaber combat. If brought back as a main character it would be a travesty.

As far as what I'd like to see from the Star Wars universe, I would love to see more from the days of the Old Republic. After being visualized as video games I feel like it would perfectly match the more high fantasy look of Episodes I-III. There have already been so many Old Republic worlds given beautiful detail that I can only imagine what could still be done. There are just so many stories of that period that haven't been told yet.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Kyle Katarn-trilogy!

Eh? Eh?
    Last edited by Raimun; 2012-11-12 at 07:12 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Dscherro View Post
    NO! No! No! No! NO! They can't do this. His story is over. It's finished. He returned to the light and redeemed himself. Now he sits in force-heaven with Obi-Wan and Yoda. There is nothing important left to tell. They will RUIN him! You think Vader was ruined by portraiying him as a whiny brat in the sequels? This is nothing compared to this. Bring him back as villain? His WHOLE story is ruined, the great moment of his redemption defiled. Good guy? He is still an iconic villain, one of the most, it would utterly destroy his character. It's just over for him.
    God, you know what, writers? Bring back Palpatine. Do the "Dark Empire" saga. It would still be something completely new for most fans, and the EU wouldn't be decanonized. Palpies return at least made some sense, he was an evil wizard, after all.
    PS
    He, after years of lurking, this finally made me post something.

All that being said, they COULD do a trilogy covering vader and the empy chasing down the remaining jedi before the start of episode 4. Basically, fill in the gap between, "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" and "WHERE IS THE REBEL BASE?!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yes, they could. Filling in some gaps within an already established and finished story arc is an option. Unfortunately they have something else in mind.

Vader (or better: Anakin) appearing briefly as a force ghost giving advice to Luke, or warning him about the dark side etc.? OK, that actually doesn't sound too bad, wouldn't mind this. As long, as his role is very short and he isn't portrayed by Hayden Christensen. I don't mind him (most of the problems with his acting in the prequels should be the fault of Lucas' directing), but replacing Shaw with him in RotJ was disrespectful and a ridiculous cheap way of connecting the originals with the prequels. They should either cast someone that looks like Shaw, or just use CG.

13. - Top - End - #13

Honestly, if anything, its likely to involve the new jedi order, or whatever the hell the stories are that involve luke and such setting up the jedi again, and their adventures after the end of return of the jedi. Its POSSIBLE they might skip straight to an entirely new setup with all new characters, but something tells me that wont just abandon all the established characters from the trilogies. I honestly would expect them to leave the end of this trilogy with some sort of teaser that leads into some non luke/leia movies. Too be perfectly honest, if they did just jump off the deep end and do some star wars without the skywalkers or any of the other established movie characters, it would strike me as too much like Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. Basically, like they used the popular name, to create a movie that had nothing to do with it. Like calling a movie Indiana Jones and the Urban Jungle, and having it be a buddy cop film set in detroit with nothing to do with indiana jones in any way..

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Too be perfectly honest, if they did just jump off the deep end and do some star wars without the skywalkers or any of the other established movie characters, it would strike me as too much like Final Fantasy The Spirits Within.
    Oh, come on, there has been plenty of SW stuff that didn't have the major movie characters in that was still Star Wars. Certainly nothing like Spirits Within was! Heck, I don't even think Disney and Lucas combined trying their best to do their worst could manage to frack it up as badly as that atrocity...!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Oh, come on, there has been plenty of SW stuff that didn't have the major movie characters in that was still Star Wars. Certainly nothing like Spirits Within was! Heck, I don't even think Disney and Lucas combined trying their best to do their worst could manage to frack it up as badly as that atrocity...!
    True, and I know there is a VERY extensive EU library to choose from. But keep in mind, there are a lot of people like me who have heard of people like thrawn, but never read the stories. And I am sure plenty never even heard of these guys. So it would have that effect on them. No, it almost has to involve at least some of the original cast of characters. Even if for only one movie that leads into the new stuff.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

True, and I know there is a VERY extensive EU library to choose from. But keep in mind, there are a lot of people like me who have heard of people like thrawn, but never read the stories. And I am sure plenty never even heard of these guys. So it would have that effect on them. No, it almost has to involve at least some of the original cast of characters. Even if for only one movie that leads into the new stuff.
    I wasn't talking about the Thrawn trilogy (for once), as that involved all the movie heroes.

I was thinking more of the likes of TIE Fighter (where Vader and the Emperor really only cameod) or of the KotRs. The SW universe is plenty big enough not to have do even look at the extended Skywalker-Solo clan and still be Star Wars. (Heck, I think you could easily do SW without the damned Jedi...) Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't see some recognisable organisations there (depending on time period, e.g. the Empire), but SW is so much more than just the movie's cast of characters.

My main point was that tou'd have to do some really, really major engineering to manage to be as completely divergeant from the SW universe to get to Spirits Within's level. That really was the worst movie I've ever personally gone so see.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    The SW universe is plenty big enough not to have do even look at the extended Skywalker-Solo clan and still be Star Wars. (Heck, I think you could easily do SW without the damned Jedi...) Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't see some recognisable organisations there (depending on time period, e.g. the Empire), but SW is so much more than just the movie's cast of characters.
    Stuff without Jedi off the top of my head:

Two made-for-TV movies (the Ewok movies)
    Two cartoon and comic book franchises (Droids and Ewoks)
    X-Wing comics and books
    The Han Solo prequel books (there are two sets, one from the 80s and another that is recent)
    The Lando prequel books
    The TIE Fighter/X-Wing line of video games
    Some of the Tales from anthologies

Some of those do not have Han, Leia, or Luke as well. And, of course, the Knights of the Old Republic stuff doesn't have any major characters.

So jedi aren't essential at all. Actually, I'm not even sure that the jedi were the primary focus in the 80s. The most popular character was Han and the Ewoks, not the jedi, were the ones tailored for the kids. Back in the day, I used to fast-forward through the Luke-Emperor scenes in Return of the Jedi so I get to the starfighting and Ewoks .

Although, maybe that's because Lucas didn't want to go into the jedi history before Star Wars (I refuse to call it "A New Hope," you can't change your title after the fact ) or go into stuff after Return of the Jedi. You can't do a cartoon show about Jedi if Ben, Yoda, and Luke are only ones in your time frame.

18. - Top - End - #18

I think you guys are missing my point. Im not saying that an EU star wars trilogy would be as far away from canon as spirits within, I am saying that releasing a trilogy that has nothing to do with the established movie characters would FEEL that way to those of us who havent read any of the books. Maybe not to that extent, as at least it would be in the same universe, but with very little thats familiar to it, a lot of star wars fans would be lost.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I think you guys are missing my point. Im not saying that an EU star wars trilogy would be as far away from canon as spirits within, I am saying that releasing a trilogy that has nothing to do with the established movie characters would FEEL that way to those of us who havent read any of the books. Maybe not to that extent, as at least it would be in the same universe, but with very little thats familiar to it, a lot of star wars fans would be lost.
    I understand what you are saying. In fact, I think it'd be a mistake to do the Thrawn books as movies. I think fans unfamiliar with the books could be confused. There are a lot of characters and the story might not translate well to film.

They do have a problem though. The three stars are too old to star in the new trilogy, and replacing them with new actors could flop. Going, say, one hundred years in the future could pose the issues you've highlighted.

I think that the best option is to bring in the three stars as minor characters and introduce a new generation--probably Han and Leia's kids--as the protagonists.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    Kyle Katarn-trilogy!

Eh? Eh?
    I would watch this.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    The three stars are too old to star in the new trilogy, and replacing them with new actors could flop.
    Make it an animation. If you're going to use the original cast, this would be the best way.
    Unfortunately too many people like to think animation = silly kiddie stuff.