New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Well, it would be very hard to have a Mickey Mouse and a Donald Duck who aren't animated.

Unless of course, they put the actors in the Disney Land costumes.

EDIT: Unless by "They", you mean the films themselves. In which case, it will either be fully animated, or a bit of both.
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Cool World, etc are merged Live Action/cartoons.

They can have life action everyone but the animated characters like Mickey easily. They did it once after all.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Let's see... at this rate, in 2015 they will also announce that they have purchased Hasbro. Then 75% of all American childhoods since the 1980s will be owned by the Almighty Mouse. And they'll get a freebie for licensing fees.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    I would back this up 100% though might as well just take the entire cast of fire fly and do it in star wars... Summer Glau for a new age version of Luke? Lucy skywalker anyone, also the kiss between Luke and Leia would become slightly more interesting
    Well, I imagine Simon would star as Prince Leio.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Let's see... at this rate, in 2015 they will also announce that they have purchased Hasbro. Then 75% of all American childhoods since the 1980s will be owned by the Almighty Mouse. And they'll get a freebie for licensing fees.
    At this rate...

~2050

"Welcome to the United States of Disney."

More seriously, I wonder how this is going to affect the expanded universe. Small changes in the movie could render the entire Star Wars expanded cannon invalid, as the movies override the books. I guess fans could just ignore it, however.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think it's great news. Disney has done very well indeed with Marvel and Pixar.

I want to see Darth Frollo.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Honestly? It isn't unexpected. Disney and Lucasfilm have been close for years. This is just the closing of the deal and making it all official.

Please remember though, that LucasFilm and LucasArts are different. Just because Disney owns LucasFilm, does not mean they own the rights to the video games. So no, you won't get Star Wars World in Kingdom Hearts, because Disney doesn't own LucasArts.
    *COUGH* they uh...they did. They did pick up LucasArts as well. It's part of the deal. They're...they're doing 'it'

They're going to be focusing on social games.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Currently unlisted video on the official Star Wars Youtube channel with Lucas talking about stuff.

Also apparently Lucas was the sole shareholder of LucasFilm, meaning that money is basically going directly into his pocket. That's a decent little retirement fund Disney just paid him.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-10-30 at 04:46 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Enough money to buy a mansion, made up of other, smaller mansions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Wired confirms the story also

Although I suspect they just pulled the same wire service story already printed.

In a move sure to shock fans of the Mouse House and George Lucas, the Walt Disney Company said Tuesday it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in cash and stock. The company also announced that it is prepping Star Wars: Episode 7 for release in 2015.

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” Lucas, the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm, said in a press release announcing the acquisition. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”
    :Picks jaw off the floor:

I admit my first thought is that this means it will now be possible for Sora , Darth Vader, and Luke Skywalker to have a three way sword fight. I assume the Keyblade will be retconned to have a cortosis weave and the Emperor will be retconned into a Heartless.

... which means there's a nobody Palpatine out there ...

... from a Kingdom Hearts perspective, the awesomeness potential is unlimited.

Realistically, I think this is a good move. Lucas was a great filmmaker but it is well past time for the torch to be passed. If the Star Wars franchise can be put in the hands of a truly talented design studio such as the one at Pixar, this could be really, really , cool.

Of course, if it's put in the hands of hacks it'll be a disaster. But ... honestly ... I can't imagine the SW franchise has anywhere to go but up, as far as the film universe is concerned.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, honestly I doubt they can do worse than Lucas. It's an interesting universe to work in and a lot of stories to be told about magic religious knights with glowing swords.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    This is a joke. Right? Please say it's a joke.
    No New York Times article.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...for-4-billion/

I do not know if I should be hope full at the thought of new life for star wars, or dismayed at what Disney might do to the it. However Disney cant possibly make it worse than the prequels right?

13. - Top - End - #43

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Cool World, etc are merged Live Action/cartoons.

They can have life action everyone but the animated characters like Mickey easily. They did it once after all.
    Marry Poppins

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    I do not know if I should be hope full at the thought of new life for star wars, or dismayed at what Disney might do to the it. However Disney cant possibly make it worse than the prequels right?
    Yeah. Just look at how awful all those Marvel films turned out once Disney bought that.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hm. So someone was apparently Sith'd.

I'll just repost this here.

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Kingdom Hearts has Light Sabre Keyblades, so I'm not surprised.

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time until Mickey makes a giant Death Star with big Mickey Ears.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Yeah. Just look at how awful all those Marvel films turned out once Disney bought that.
    Oh dang, Disney's the reason the new Marvel movies are as awesome as they are? Well hell, I can't wait to see Mickey Mouse using a Lightsabre! He's already practically Yoda!
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-10-30 at 05:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

I think I'm pleased with this development, vague "no corporation should own this much" feelings aside. Worse case is I keep not caring; best case is, just maybe, some of the magic comes back.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Oh dang, Disney's the reason the new Marvel movies are as awesome as they are? Well hell, I can't wait to see Mickey Mouse using a Lightsabre! He's already practically Yoda!
    No. I'm saying people had the same reaction when Disney bought Marvel: people thought the company would ruin all those super heroes. Yet we've seen they've done nothing of the sort. I'm not saying the new films will be good, but there's a counter example to the notion this will be bad for Star Wars. And of course Mickey will be in the new films just like how he was in the Avengers - now that it belongs to Disney, all the classic Disney characters have to appear in the new films. It's practically law.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Arranis Thelmos View Post
    ...Shiny. Can't stop the signal.

I hope they do the Thrawn Trilogy.
    I'll be serious for a second in this thread. My hunch is they'll want to stay away from using Luke, Han, and Leia as characters. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, and Carrie Fisher are too old to star in a new trilogy, and I think it would be cheesy to use other actors for them. I think they'll go one hundred years into the future or something like that. I also believe that they'll more-or-less ignore the post-Return of the Jedi EU.

The way I look at things, it can only be a positive. Worst-case scenario is that the movies are awful. But that won't detract from the original trilogy.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder how much Episode VII will follow/rewrite the Expanded Universe.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-10-30 at 06:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Or they'll do Old Republic era...
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I'll be serious for a second in this thread. My hunch is they'll want to stay away from using Luke, Han, and Leia as characters. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, and Carrie Fisher are too old to star in a new trilogy, and I think it would be cheesy to use other actors for them. I think they'll go one hundred years into the future or something like that. I also believe that they'll more-or-less ignore the post-Return of the Jedi EU.

The way I look at things, it can only be a positive. Worst-case scenario is that the movies are awful. But that won't detract from the original trilogy.
    You may have missed how people overreacted when the prequels came out. Apparently some folk very much disagree that you can detract from the original trilogy.

Mind you, I'm not so sure we should care about them, but they exist.

In any case, I agree with you that it would be cheesy to rehire Ford, Hamill, and Fisher. But I really really really want to watch the Thrawn Saga. A lot. It would be awesome.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not sure how to feel about the Disney buying LucasFilm thing. Disney did allow for the awesome creation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it's not like Disney could ruin SW more than Lucas already has with the prequel movies (which I admit, part of me actually enjoys).

As far as the story argument goes. Legacy era seems to fit. It has the "grittiness" that seems to be so popular with the kids nowadays and it still feels like Star Wars. They don't have to worry about changing pre-existing movie characters like Han, Luke, and Leia from what they became during EU(which believe it or not, has a pretty dedicated fan base) and yet they still have a strong connection to the original story. That, and I really dislike New Jedi Order...
    Awesome Gunslinger Avatar by Kymme

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist..." Barriers to Trans-Dimensional Travel, Rosalind Lutece, 1889

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

How about a Star Wars prequel that gives the backstory of the most important Star Wars character of them all:

Spoiler
    Show

PORKINS!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

It's Episode VII, VIII and IX they are making. I don't think they will go backwards.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

How about a Star Wars prequel that gives the backstory of the most important Star Wars character of them all:

Spoiler
    Show

PORKINS!
    If there was a like button here, then I would use it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    It's Episode VII, VIII and IX they are making. I don't think they will go backwards.
    Well they should for Porkins!

Quote Originally Posted by Arranis Thelmos View Post
    If there was a like button here, then I would use it.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this could be pretty good. There's certainly a lot of good stories that have already been told in the Star Wars universe, and while I think the hate for the prequels is WAY overblown (yeah, they have problems but they're hardly a crime against humanity. I can think of tons of movies worse than them.) it's a good thing Georgie isn't writing and directing them. I think the best position for him is producer and creative consultant while somebody else handles the actual filmmaking itself.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

Indeed. If anything, Disney is respectful of the things they buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Do you know how in Star Trek IV they went back in time to save whales? Well, in Star Trek VII, they'll go back in time to save Porkins and Jabba the Hutt.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Machinekng View Post
    At this rate...

~2050

"Welcome to the United States of Disney."
    Y'know all those corperate-based sci-fi stuff like Cyberpunk and whatnot? The way things are going, I can see that actually happening... with Disney...

(What bothers me a bit is any one company having too much share of one think; Disney have been okay with Marvel (and the disaters we predicted have not come to pass yet), but's it's the ten, twenty years down the line that bothers me, when things have changed and some new suit takes over. As there would be nothing stopping them doing an EA and basically eating up smaller producers and disbanding them (see: Westwood, among others, leading to the essential demise of what they were producing.))

Quote Originally Posted by Machinekng
    More seriously, I wonder how this is going to affect the expanded universe. Small changes in the movie could render the entire Star Wars expanded cannon invalid, as the movies override the books. I guess fans could just ignore it, however.
    Yeah. Mind you, ten plus years ago, the expanded universe was mostly novels and a few computer games, and everyone made an effort to tie it up together neatly. As time has gone on, more and more stuff has got condradictory, nonsensical and with huge tonal shifts to the point that SW is creaking under the weight of it's own now-much-more-haphazard continuity. I mean, I doubt Disney could do much more damage than the Clone Wars cartoon has; I like it - a lot - but things like bringing Darth Maul back have stretched even my generally high tolerance to breaking point. SW has really past the point already where it sort of ought to be fragmented into different continuities, as it's just too big, too murky and not enough care is put in to maintain itself to the standard of the mid-to-late ninties when the early resurgance of novels and Lucasarts games had their heyday.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-30 at 06:32 PM.