New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I think this could be pretty good. There's certainly a lot of good stories that have already been told in the Star Wars universe, and while I think the hate for the prequels is WAY overblown (yeah, they have problems but they're hardly a crime against humanity. I can think of tons of movies worse than them.) it's a good thing Georgie isn't writing and directing them. I think the best position for him is producer and creative consultant while somebody else handles the actual filmmaking itself.
    This is pretty much how I feel about it. George Lucas is a fantastic creative force, but not a great film maker. No matter what, someone will be unhappy with the outcome of this. I just hope they don't murder established canon more than is absolutely needed. As much as I dislike NJO (as stated above) I still think the work that has been done in the expanded universe by others, in other mediums should be respected.
    Awesome Gunslinger Avatar by Kymme

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist..." Barriers to Trans-Dimensional Travel, Rosalind Lutece, 1889

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Do you know how in Star Trek IV they went back in time to save whales? Well, in Star Trek VII, they'll go back in time to save Porkins and Jabba the Hutt.
    Maybe Jabba and Porkins ARE THE SAME PERSON! Think about it. We never see them on screen at the same time, and we never actually see Porkins' body.
    My god, Porkins was the villian the whole time! Palpatine worked for him, and he was secretly both Chewbacca's and Jango Fett's mother! It all makes sense now!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, The Clone Wars is staying on Cartoon Network, right? ...Right? Only bad things could happen to it being ported onto Disney XD.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

I mean honestly, what's the worst that could happen with this? A repeat of the prequels, more cries of angst from diehard fans, and most of us just continue to enjoy the original trilogy.

The most likely scenario is that we get a new pile of Star Wars stuff that doesn't really feel like Star Wars, but looks cool and has lightsabers, so whatever! Y'know, maybe they even get Joss Whedon in on it.

Best case scenario: a little bit of the original Star Wars magic comes back. Also, cancer is cured, world peace is achieved, humanity discovers an infinitely renewable, totally clean energy resource, and a flock of dodo birds is found flying over a shiny new world.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

5. - Top - End - #65

I'll just leave this picture here. It's from 2010, FYI

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Can Disney do anything worse than the Christmas Special?

Can Disney do anything worse THAN THIS?!
    I never really understood the level of hate those Kinect dance scenes get. Yes they're cheesy, but they're pretty clearly a little tongue in cheek. It's cute how 'fans' will start screaming RUINED FOREVER just because a franchise pokes a little fun at itself.

As to the movies themselves, we all know that the people who care enough to scream bloody murder about a new Star Wars movie are also going to be first in line to see it. Fanboys are always their own worst enemies.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-10-30 at 06:55 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Probably better than if Lucas was directing...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I'll just leave this picture here. It's from 2010, FYI

Spoiler
    Show
    If memory serves, the ride that picture was taken outside of dates back to the nineties (although it has since been revamped and expanded)

EDIT: One check on Wookieepedia later... Wow. Release in 1987. Star Tours is even older than I thought.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-10-30 at 06:59 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

8. - Top - End - #68

Beholder

I found the preview stub for the next Star Wars film!

"Disney's™ Star Wars™ presents its first musical in Jar Jar's Return, a magical adventure staring Fan Favorite Jar Jar Binks™ and his crew of Ewoks as they try to save the galaxy from a terrible threat - the evil Darth Songless, a monster who wishes to rid the galaxy of all song and dance!"
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2012-10-30 at 07:01 PM.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Y'know all those corperate-based sci-fi stuff like Cyberpunk and whatnot? The way things are going, I can see that actually happening... with Disney...
    Sounds like the plot to a Shadowrun adventure.

10. - Top - End - #70

George Lucas had his time and now it's over, this is a good thing. It would be decent if they did the Thrawn trilogy but honestly it's unnecessary, there are already great books of that. Using the EU as inspiration there are a great many stories to be told in the Star Wars universe and I look forward to all of them.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

In terms of actual movie quality we haven't exactly got much to worry about. Marvel movies aside Disney is run by people who know their demographics and are generally smart about what they're doing. This is why they have the money to actually buy Lucasfilm out in the first place even suffering the humiliation of John Carter just this year.

John Carter itself aside, Disney tends to know what they're doing from a buisness perspective and aren't nearly as incompetent as others tend to be with their subsidiaries. Literally EVERYBODY involved knows how much of a sacred cow Star Wars is. They probably grew up with the original trilogy. It's a thing that can't be thrown out low budget like Prince of Persia and can't be mired by office politics like John Carter was. This is something that I can say with absolute and unwavering confidence will receive the utmost care and be handed off to whoever Disney thinks is absolutely the best suited for the job. This one movie at least, won't fail simply because every single person involved knows it'll be their head on a plate if they somehow come out of it being known as the guy who managed to somehow screw up Star Wars worse than Lucas did.

Long Term, honestly this isn't a good sign. After the initial rush to make something good dies down for Disney across the board we'll probably see things go sideways like they did for Disney 2d after the 90's, where they play fast and loose and experiment in the wrong ways and they crash and burn. This'll probably take a while, but after this trilogy and the next wave of Avengers movies. Judging by the way Pixar is going I'm gonna be a pessimist and say they're going to tank or make major changes at around the same time.

To summarize, this is going to be good in the short term, but when Disney inevitably crashes in 7-10 years, it's going to crash hard, and take everyone it's bought out down with it. Right now Disney is probably making more than they've made in decades, if ever, and quite frankly the pace they're taking isn't sustainable for much longer. You can only climb for so long before you hit the top and there's a long, painful fall under you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I love the star wars universe seeing that I grew up with it, so I´m always happy to see new movies/series etc coming up in that franchise...

If the new stuff sucks then well I´m angry that they didn´t do a better job on it but that does in no way mean I don´t want to see anything playing in that universe ever again...

and honestly I can´t understand people who want a franchise they love to be "left alone" the prequels which I hate in no way reduced my enjoyment of the first three movies (which I actually watched again a month ago ^^)

So overall I applaud them for taking on this behemoth of a franchise and hope for the best, and if again we get a bad movie well its not like bad movies are rare

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Long Term, honestly this isn't a good sign. After the initial rush to make something good dies down for Disney across the board we'll probably see things go sideways like they did for Disney 2d after the 90's, where they play fast and loose and experiment in the wrong ways and they crash and burn. This'll probably take a while, but after this trilogy and the next wave of Avengers movies. Judging by the way Pixar is going I'm gonna be a pessimist and say they're going to tank or make major changes at around the same time.

To summarize, this is going to be good in the short term, but when Disney inevitably crashes in 7-10 years, it's going to crash hard, and take everyone it's bought out down with it. Right now Disney is probably making more than they've made in decades, if ever, and quite frankly the pace they're taking isn't sustainable for much longer. You can only climb for so long before you hit the top and there's a long, painful fall under you.
    Yeah, that's basically exactly what bothers me about this sort of thing. It's not the short-term (where people are still passonate about things and have some idea of what they're doing), it's the long-term when new people take over, especially if you get unlucky enough to get some professional corperate manager guy who doesn't really understand what makes good things good and just assumes any old crap will fly (or makes sweeping changes because he digs it or decides his focus groups say it's right) that we are going to get problems.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Y'know all those corperate-based sci-fi stuff like Cyberpunk and whatnot? The way things are going, I can see that actually happening... with Disney...

(What bothers me a bit is any one company having too much share of one think; Disney have been okay with Marvel (and the disaters we predicted have not come to pass yet), but's it's the ten, twenty years down the line that bothers me, when things have changed and some new suit takes over. As there would be nothing stopping them doing an EA and basically eating up smaller producers and disbanding them (see: Westwood, among others, leading to the essential demise of what they were producing.))
    In my opinion, the real issue with Disney is its sheer cultural influence. Disney movies are some of the first movies parents take their kids to, and the amount of Disney merchandise is overwhelming. The idea that one organization could shift cultural mores through its products is kinda scary.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Machinekng View Post
    In my opinion, the real issue with Disney is its sheer cultural influence. Disney movies are some of the first movies parents take their kids to, and the amount of Disney merchandise is overwhelming. The idea that one organization could shift cultural mores through its products is kinda scary.
    E.g. for instance Disney decides that all it's franchises must be "family-friendly" and thus not have any violence (aside from maybe very stylised, such, as say, never showing the heroes actually hitting the bad guys, just the reaction from said hits or something) or perhaps, slightly less seriously, but still very detrimentally, not mentioned "death" ever (like the 1990's X-Men cartoon, for example, where they really had to painfully gloss over it with "gone"). Or perhaps strip all forms of magic out of everything because, well, I won't spell it out, aside from saying that there are certain dogmatic aspects of society, especially in the US, that would be very happy with that kind of decision.

It this any of that is likely? No, probably not; not even probable, maybe; but it is plausible, as all it takes is one high-level management guy and some sort of bog-up/scandel to make the attempt. Now, something as daft as that would be, being nearly corperate suicide, but there has been that sort decision made before (Marvel's blanket smoking ban, for example). One only has to look at some of the editorial mandates Marvel and DC have had of late, and imagine what that could be like on a larger scale, the trouble would be if at that parent company level. It could impinge on a lot of stuff. It would equally, in it's own time, probably be overturned itself, but you could have years between.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-10-30 at 07:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Uh, The Clone Wars is staying on Cartoon Network, right? ...Right? Only bad things could happen to it being ported onto Disney XD.
    Bad things? What are you talking about? I've seen a few episodes of that show and let me tell you it can only go up hill.

17. - Top - End - #77

Yeah, that's basically exactly what bothers me about this sort of thing. It's not the short-term (where people are still passonate about things and have some idea of what they're doing), it's the long-term when new people take over, especially if you get unlucky enough to get some professional corperate manager guy who doesn't really understand what makes good things good and just assumes any old crap will fly (or makes sweeping changes because he digs it or decides his focus groups say it's right) that we are going to get problems.
    Not even that, but the simple fact that a beast this unwieldy won't survive ANY kind of major shakeups. A major theatrical movie straight up costs about three or four times what it used to to make in some cases. The amount of money spent on effects or 3d animation, or paying workers outsourced to countries steadily expecting more money, means that more and more, EVERYBODY needs to see a top tier movie or play an AAA game to make it work and make back production and marketing and turn a solid, physical profit. This is only getting worse as the next generation of consoles come out and movie theaters need to risk increasingly small profits on big upgrades just to keep up with the technology. It's gotten to the point where you need to make somewhere in the neighberhood of about 300 million just for a good movie or game to break even in a lot of cases.

This'd be worrying even if Disney wasn't loading itself up with about a dozen such projects. I mean 2015 alone has just from them two marvel movies, two pixar movies, and now this. Add on top of that whatever Disney's actual main animation studio is going to pump out that year, and the competiton they're going to get from a Batman movie, Justice League, Aquaman or Flash is things don't mess up, Dreamworks coming out with four different movies, and there is no way that this won't turn out ugly. This is assuming Amazing Spider Man 2 or Days of Future Past don't get pushed back for whatever reason.

Disney is basically going to have to, in 2015 alone, tear through an insane amount of competition like they've never had to, to push more movies than they've had to, costing more money than they've ever spent at once. It doesn't even matter who wins, simple observation shows that at least one big corporation, most likley multiple, are going to lose a lot of money in just that one year.

And then by this time they'll have another crop ready for 2016. Then 2017. Then 2018. While this is happening they're going to wind up competing with one another the entire time, seeing who can get the bigger frame rate and more impressive effects that'll cost more and more.

Even if they don't screw up the actual movies, the way they're being thrown out will screw them up on it's own. After a while Disney is going to NEED to scale back everything or things will go sideways in a very predictable and very bloody fashion.
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I never really understood the level of hate those Kinect dance scenes get. Yes they're cheesy, but they're pretty clearly a little tongue in cheek. It's cute how 'fans' will start screaming RUINED FOREVER just because a franchise pokes a little fun at itself.

As to the movies themselves, we all know that the people who care enough to scream bloody murder about a new Star Wars movie are also going to be first in line to see it. Fanboys are always their own worst enemies.
    The song choices in particular. I like a little tongue in cheek humor, but my god, pick some better songs than Britney Spears. A little goes a long way. I thought the Han Solo stuff was clever... then heard Britney Spears and then facepalmed at "Holograph girl".

Lego Star Wars was awesome though.

Just to prove I'm not some stuck up fanboy: I liked the new Star Trek movie XD
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-10-30 at 07:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

And this would be different if Disney didn't buy it out...how? Whether Disney bought out Company X or Company X went on without ever being bought out by another company, eventually someone new will take control of it.

If Disney didn't buy out Lucasfilm, it still would have been under new management whenever Lucas ceded control to someone else (probably Kathleen Kennedy). And, if Lucasfilm stayed around for long enough, it would go to someone else. And everything you just stated about new people inc harge applies just as much whether Disney bought it out or they didn't.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-10-30 at 08:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

i'm just going to pretend this whole thing is a joke..come on guys, its not funny anymore...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't really see the problem. Half the companies on the planet owns the other half.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    i'm just going to pretend this whole thing is a joke..come on guys, its not funny anymore...
    I tell myself the same thing about Michael Bay's Transformer films.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    And this would be different if Disney didn't buy it out...how? Whether Disney bought out Company X or Company X went on without ever being bought out by another company, eventually someone new will take control of it.

If Disney didn't buy out Lucasfilm, it still would have been under new management whenever Lucas ceded control to someone else (probably Kathleen Kennedy). And, if Lucasfilm stayed around for long enough, it would go to someone else. And everything you just stated about new people inc harge applies just as much whether Disney bought it out or they didn't.
    The difference is there's a lot more eggs in one basket when it's all under one big umbrella corporation (especially at the rate Disney is acquiring other big brands/franchises). So it means if and when it goes all pear-shaped, you could lose a lot more than if it was seperate companies. It's not Disney per se that bothers me, it's just any one corporation acquring too much of anything. (One only has to look to EA and their record on acquisitions to get a little concerned. Or if, somewhere down the line, someone decides to go aggressively after, say, fansites (like TSR did at the end)...)

You may call me cynical and paranoid - and you'd probably be right - but the current climate in media and entertainment generally is really not doing optimism any favours. (I'm finding generally less and less and less of anything I like being made.)

24. - Top - End - #84

This marks the end of fanfilms as we know them.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

25. - Top - End - #85

By the way, in case anyone's still in the "Is this a joke" stage of denial, I have family who work for Disney, and apparently an internal e-mail was sent out earlier today confirming it was happening. So yeah.

That said, I'm pretty happy about this. Lucas had previously said he had no intention of making more star wars movies, and after the prequels, and fan reactions to them, I can't say I blame him (or would try particularly hard to change his mind). I for one am interested to see where Disney takes the franchise.

As an aside, I don't understand all of the "Mickey is going to be Luke Skywalker!" jokes. When's the last time Mickey even appeared in a disney movie, much less one where it wasn't appropriate.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What intrigues me is this: wasn't Disney always focused on child-friendly material? Now that they have Marvel and Star Wars does this mean their target demographic has shifted/expanded?

Marvel did release some rather edgy material, can't remember the name but some of the solo Punisher comics were under that line. Rape, torture, nasty stuff.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

27. - Top - End - #87

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    This marks the end of fanfilms as we know them.
    This is what I am afraid of.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Disney label proper might generally be child friendly, but the properties owned by Disney are not necessarily so. Disney using subsidiaries or alternative production branding to release material that doesn't quite fit the Disney label is nothing new. See their use of the Touchstone Pictures label, for instance.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    What intrigues me is this: wasn't Disney always focused on child-friendly material? Now that they have Marvel and Star Wars does this mean their target demographic has shifted/expanded?

Marvel did release some rather edgy material, can't remember the name but some of the solo Punisher comics were under that line. Rape, torture, nasty stuff.
    thats what i'm afraid of...Disney doesnt have the experience to pull of a movie like star wars...

30. - Top - End - #90
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Honestly? If there's one thing that Disney does not have a lack of, it is experience. Putting aside that in all likelihood Lucasfilm would be producing, in the same way that MarvelStudios produces its movies, Disney has a long rich history of wide variety of films. Its hardly a new and young one trick pony studio just getting its legs in a new field.

I trust modern Disney on the creative end of things. Any concerns I have with this purchase are business, ie the ramifications of Disney buying up properties on the industry.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)