New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

The new trilogy is said to pick up where the original trilogy left off with Luke, Leia, and Han Solo:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...film-for-405b/

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

If this means that there is now a snowball's chance in hell that we will get a movie version of the Thrawn trilogy, then I am all for this.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    What intrigues me is this: wasn't Disney always focused on child-friendly material? Now that they have Marvel and Star Wars does this mean their target demographic has shifted/expanded?
    I believe Walt would disagree with that assessment.

Also Disney's vast mega-corp assets has long included the likes of the ABC and ESPN networks. It owned for Miramax Films for many years which distributed such films as Kill Bill.

So no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    If this means that there is now a snowball's chance in hell that we will get a movie version of the Thrawn trilogy, then I am all for this.

Zevox
    Or alternately that the EU will suffer a sudden and serious case of lightsaber to the neck.

Pretty much no middle ground there either direct adaptation or total dismissal.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Also Disney's vast mega-corp assets has long included the likes of the ABC and ESPN networks. It owned for Miramax Films for many years which distributed such films as Kill Bill.

So no.
    I'm gonna agree with Soras here. People keep confusing the Walt Disney company for the Walt Disney studio, maybe including DisneyToon, Pixar, and any of the smaller studios used to make TV Series.

Disney in and of itself hasn't been nothing but animation since nearly it's inception. Hell, even it's actual animated movies deal with class issues, murder, sexisim, imperialism, and about a billion other things that anyone who bothered watching the movies after they turned 13 would actually remember seeing. Even discounting it's subsidiaries I've seen enough Disney movies to think that, even if it was handled by their animation guys and nothing else, they are fully capable of making a good Star Wars movie if only in tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Even Walt Disney Studios proper has produced a good deal of quality non-kid movie material. The Touchstone label was developed for distributing Walt Disney Studio productions that were not child-friendly, after Disney both caught flack for releasing films with non child-friendly content under the Disney label and found that putting the Disney label on productions not targeted at children actually hurt that production's box office returns.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I wonder how much Episode VII will follow/rewrite the Expanded Universe.
    That's actually what I'm worried about, them deciding to throw out the Expanded Universe. I mean, Disney did do well at being faithful to the comics with their handling of the various Marvel comics properties they adapted, and they'd probably keep it to avoid a lot of the bits of the IP they acquired they acquired being unusable and to avoid backlash, but still, there's always that possiblity.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'd honestly be very okay with a mouse-shaped wrecking ball being flung into the monstrous tangle of continuity that is Star Wars. I trust the mouse's construction business to build up a more sightly building after the demolition.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

What intrigues me is this: wasn't Disney always focused on child-friendly material? Now that they have Marvel and Star Wars does this mean their target demographic has shifted/expanded?
    The Walt Disney Company doesn't have a target demographic. What they have is a lot of subsidies that each have their own target demographics. For example, ABC has been owned by Disney since 1996. Do you think they were going for child-friendly material when they released Lost or Grey's Anatomy?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Nathan Fillion as Han Solo.

You know you want to see it as much as I do.
    We already HAVE seen it. Firefly anyone?

This is by no means a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    I would back this up 100% though might as well just take the entire cast of fire fly and do it in star wars... Summer Glau for a new age version of Luke? Lucy skywalker anyone, also the kiss between Luke and Leia would become slightly more interesting
    And Adam Baldwin gets to be Chewbacca!
    Last edited by stabbybelkar; 2012-10-31 at 12:53 AM.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'd honestly be very okay with a mouse-shaped wrecking ball being flung into the monstrous tangle of continuity that is Star Wars. I trust the mouse's construction business to build up a more sightly building after the demolition.
    I cannot agree more.
    This plus releasing the original trilogy in it's original form on dvd might be nice.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

@Jayngfet:
    Yeah the considerable seriousness of their so-called kids movies is why I said Walt himself would probably disagree. I've seen statements by him that it is always important to make films for everyone to enjoy. And that everyone actually means everyone.

And quality wise being bought out by Disney is nothing to worry about. With certain exceptions of course when Disney puts serious efforts into things it product is on balance pretty good.

There are certain bigger issues at play though. I should point out that this isn't just SW at play here. Buying Lucasfilm for example presumably gives Disney ILM and Skywalker Sound, letting them take little chunks of a lot of pies there, and giving them major effects and audio teams as now nominally in-house firms. Though limits on that being discussed here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    This plus releasing the original trilogy in it's original form on dvd might be nice.
    You mean re-releasing right? (Because that actually happened)
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-10-31 at 12:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    thats what i'm afraid of...Disney doesnt have the experience to pull of a movie like star wars...
    Like they didn't have the experience to pull for a movie like The Avengers? ;)

13. - Top - End - #103

Yeah the considerable seriousness of their so-called kids movies is why I said Walt himself would probably disagree. I've seen statements by him that it is always important to make films for everyone to enjoy. And that everyone actually means everyone.

And quality wise being bought out by Disney is nothing to worry about. With certain exceptions of course when Disney puts serious efforts into things it product is on balance pretty good.

There are certain bigger issues at play though. I should point out that this isn't just SW at play here. Buying Lucasfilm for example presumably gives Disney ILM and Skywalker Sound, letting them take little chunks of a lot of pies there, and giving them major effects and audio teams as now nominally in-house firms. Though limits on that being discussed here I think.
    This is, in all likelihood, a serious issue to discuss. Disney buying Lucas and Marvel means that they can personally handle nearly every step of a movie's production and tie-in publishing directly. The only things I don't think they can actually do are distribute comics(Diamond handles that) and make the toys and other physical products themselves.

While there's nothing that springs to mind immediately that's wrong with Disney having such control over their movie, it doesn't really sit well with me all the same that one company is amassing that kind of power base, even if in all likliehood all the people and processes involved will stay the same, only largely streamlined. And obviously that, again, I think Disney is due for a HUGE crash somewhere within the next 5-10 years.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Speaking of checking time, I literally had to check my computer's calender to make sure it wasn't April 1st when I read this article. Because yes, me sleeping for several months seems far more likely than this actually happening.
    How so? The gap between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace is about 20 years. It'll have been 16 years since TPM by the time Episode VII hits.

Besides, a new Star Wars film without Lucas is a dream come true. Lucas' old directing instructions went a little bit like this, according to Samuel L. Jackson:

"Alright Sam, a big monster just showed up!"
    "How big is it?"
    "It's pretty big!"
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

This is, in all likelihood, a serious issue to discuss. Disney buying Lucas and Marvel means that they can personally handle nearly every step of a movie's production and tie-in publishing directly. The only things I don't think they can actually do are distribute comics(Diamond handles that) and make the toys and other physical products themselves.

While there's nothing that springs to mind immediately that's wrong with Disney having such control over their movie, it doesn't really sit well with me all the same that one company is amassing that kind of power base, even if in all likliehood all the people and processes involved will stay the same, only largely streamlined. And obviously that, again, I think Disney is due for a HUGE crash somewhere within the next 5-10 years.
    Yeah buying Marvel was totally not about comics and completely about comic book movies.

And yeah I'm not expert enough to say if there are any other cases of a studio having such major support resources brought under one umbrella but if someone reported to me that's what Disney was really after I'd be completely unsuprised. Though whether which out of major intellectual property or premiere effects companies was the cake and which was the icing...

Though really a win any way around this for the mouse, as they can surely cover their investment in the long term just from the ongoing merchandising and spin-off material without even making a new movie.

(Actually might be smarter that way... I've always considered actual no-**** sequels the small exposed thermal exhaust port of the franchise just waiting for some farm boy to drop a torpedo...)
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-10-31 at 01:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

When I told my friends and family in ~2000 that we'd see episodes 7 through 9 of Star Wars, they laughed and said even 7 would never happen. I forwarded them all the article this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    My friend and I were just debating what the new Episode 7 movie would be about. He suggested the Yuuzhan Vong and I punched him. Not really.

Zevox
    When my best friend and I were discussing the potential Ep VII-IX many moons ago, we thought that the best plots for that trilogy would be the Thrawn trilogy as VII, the Jedi Academy trilogy as VIII, and the Black Fleet Crisis as IX. That gives us a ESB-style Empire-hands-the-New-Republic-their-asses movie with the best Imperial officer ever in charge to show that RotJ wasn't a complete victory for the Rebeliion, a RotS-style Jedi-versus-Sith-BBEG movie that shows how the Jedi and New Republic are adapting to new times, and a RotJ-style big-battles-meets-philosophy movie that fleshes out the galaxy a bit for the fans not familiar with the EU and gives a good place to end it (with the New Republic secure and peaceful...for now).

In the prequel trilogy, the Jedi are widespread and flashy but stuck in the past, there's a full-on war, and the Dark Side rises to power in the end. In the original trilogy, the Jedi are introspective and focusing on the present ("keeping [their] mind in the here and now, where it belongs" ), there's a guerrilla rebellion going on, and both sides of the Force are in balance in the end. In the new trilogy given above, the Jedi are resurgent and unified and looking to the future, there are periodic major engagements, and the Light Side is coming to prominence. It makes a nice thematic arc, I think.

If they ever decide to who am I kidding, when they decide to do X-XII, I'd like to see Corellian trilogy, Hand of Thrawn, and Young Jedi Knights. Ep X calls back to the original trilogy with the destroy-the-superweapon plot, but without repeating the original trilogy too much; Ep XI shows the Empire crumbling while still being dangerous, and gives us more wonderful wonderful Thrawn; Ep XII is basically prequel-trilogy-without-the-suck, what with the tons of diverse aliens, young Jedi heroes, and such. It ends on a high note passing things onto a new generation of heroes like RotJ did while still being different enough from the prior three trilogies.

Why yes, I have spent too much time thinking about this, why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't get bad until NJO, really. The series I mentioned above as well as the various bounty hunter books, both X-Wing series, Truce at Bakura, and most of the Rebellion-era books are all fairly consistent, very Star Wars-y, and fun and interesting. It's when they start blatantly doing stupid things with the Force just to be different (Force-immune aliens! Force-using hive minds! Lost Sith tribes!) and blatant cross-genre cash grabs (Star Wars + zombies! Star Wars + time travel! Star Wars + Lovecraft!) that it starts utterly sucking.

I won't spoiler the Fate of the Jedi series, but that ending was just...I don't even know. It takes pseudo-religious symbolism, pseudo-Lovecraftian horror, random nonsensical Force philosophy, and more, combines them into one big cluster**** of fail, and ruins several Force traditions, Old Republic-era canon, cool characters, and more in the process. I don't think I can read any post-25 ABY books anymore.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

17. - Top - End - #107

Yeah buying Marvel was totally not about comics and completely about comic book movies.

And yeah I'm not expert enough to say if there are any other cases of a studio having such major support resources brought under one umbrella but if someone reported to me that's what Disney was really after I'd be completely unsuprised. Though whether which out of major intellectual property or premiere effects companies was the cake and which was the icing...

Though really a win any way around this for the mouse, as they can surely cover their investment in the long term just from the ongoing merchandising and spin-off material without even making a new movie.

(Actually might be smarter that way... I've always considered actual no-**** sequels the small exposed thermal exhaust port of the franchise just waiting for some farm boy to drop a torpedo...)
    It's not that it was their main thing, but their advantages after the fact.

I mean think about the fringe benefits of these recent deals. Without Star Wars or Marvel Heroes, universal's theme parks are pretty much losing two of their best mainstays whenever contracts run out, while Disney gains enough IP between Marvel and Lucas to make an entire park of their own if they felt like it.

The actual movies are barely even needed to turn a long term profit if you only care about profits and not numbers, and after the movies have run their course the merchandising alone will net them enough to probably buy the whole thing back.

That theme park idea is more and more probable now that I think about it. I mean Disney also has the park rights to James Cameron's Avatar. It'd be simple to just integrate those animal kingdom plans into some kind of "adventure park" with superheroes and sci fi and fantasy in general. Obviously an entire park would take time to build but if they started now it could probably get done by the time the last star wars movie and Marvel phase 2 had ended.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow, they have ABC and ESPN too? That's more fingers in more pies than I thought.

Personally I think it would be interesting to see new Star Wars movies. It might shake up the EU, but I think that's unavoidable. I always believed that Lucas didn't really care about the EU and saw it as nothing more as an additional form of revenue.

Don't know what the Disney's takeover will do to it. There's been a lot of stuff, post-Return of the Jedi, that's already been written (understatement lol). Maybe they'll pull the multiverse card, letting the old and new material run parallel. But I doubt it.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, they have ABC and ESPN too? That's more fingers in more pies than I thought.

Personally I think it would be interesting to see new Star Wars movies. It might shake up the EU, but I think that's unavoidable. I always believed that Lucas didn't really care about the EU and saw it as nothing more as an additional form of revenue.

Don't know what the Disney's takeover will do to it. There's been a lot of stuff, post-Return of the Jedi, that's already been written (understatement lol). Maybe they'll pull the multiverse card, letting the old and new material run parallel. But I doubt it.
    Take a look at corporate ownership charts. Minds will be blown.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Either way Im exited to be a part of something big. Im exited to see the big lines, the huge amount of fans piling up to see the new movies.

Heck, even if it SUCKS it will be fun to get another plinket review.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Cool World, etc are merged Live Action/cartoons.

They can have life action everyone but the animated characters like Mickey easily. They did it once after all.
    Yes. That's... exactly what I said...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that most films these days merge live action with animation.
    In fact, 90% of the shots in Star Wars: Episode I were animated... but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Uh, The Clone Wars is staying on Cartoon Network, right? ...Right? Only bad things could happen to it being ported onto Disney XD.
    Hey now, that's not necessarily true. Disney have been pumping out some good shows lately, Tron: Uprising and Gravity Falls are pretty darn awesome. Also, Wonder Over Yonder looks very promising. I don't think they would really ruin it if it moved to Disney XD.
    Personally, I stopped enjoying Clone Wars when the original Genndy series finished in 2005, but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-10-31 at 04:16 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Also on Dinsey owning star wars:

Eh. It depends on their business model. If they go the Triforce route, every part they own is generally kept separate. The upper people can sometimes suggest things to do, provide/ demand money: Then its relatively safe. Even if the triforce collaps the separate pieces can survive pretty well as they acted independent mostly.

If its the Symbiosis method then I would wory more. But for now Im not seeying that.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Huh, honestly I doubt they can do worse than Lucas. It's an interesting universe to work in and a lot of stories to be told about magic religious knights with glowing swords.
    Lucas has always been mostly the manager of the franchise with rrelatively little input on the actual works. Except for Ep 1 to 3, and we know how beloved they are with fans.

It depends mostly on how the new owner would restructure the companies they bought. If they keep all the staff in place, nothing would really change.

Apparently the package also included ILM, which is one of the major digitial special effects companies. And they did the effects for a couple of Disney produced movies in recent years. That's also a quite valuable asset in addition to the Star Wars franchise.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-10-31 at 06:23 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Like they didn't have the experience to pull for a movie like The Avengers? ;)
    How involved was Disney with that? Disney acquired Marvel in 2009. Iron Man and Hulk had already come out, heavily pushing the idea of the Avengers. Iron Man 2 was in post production, with even more stuff, and Cap A and Thor were both already slated for a release date. What was Disney's role in pulling for it? Seems more like they just let the currently existing plans unfold.

25. - Top - End - #115

Like others have stated, I wonder what they'll do with EU. I personally think they'll totally disregard it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Zevox
    Unfortunately, sources are saying it'll be an original story. If they're continuing Han, Luke, and Leia's story and recasting (a not unlikely event given the actors age and attitudes) as well as tossing out the EU, my interest drops significantly.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Unfortunately, sources are saying it'll be an original story. If they're continuing Han, Luke, and Leia's story and recasting (a not unlikely event given the actors age and attitudes) as well as tossing out the EU, my interest drops significantly.
    Given most of the EU is garbage and only a small minority of star wars fans knows anything about them, I'm not too worried about them just disregarding EU and going for a new story. As someone else said, let that mouse shaped wrecking ball come through and build something better on top of it.

I am however somewhat worried about continuing the stories of Luke/Leia/Han. I can't really imagine a recast that a majority of fans of the original trilogy would be willing to accept. I'm generally not picky about these sorts of things, but a lot of people are, and I can see that being a big pitfall for the movies.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

To Disney: This is the Thrawn you ARE looking for!:smallbiggrin:

Anyone care for Wraith Squadron?

Me I'd like to see this purely to make the Ewok Pilot canon!

Yes i know that was made up by two members of Rogue Squadron but the payoff is GREAT!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

We got to the fourth page without anybody mentioning that Leia is now part of the Disney Princess franchise?
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Given most of the EU is garbage and only a small minority of star wars fans knows anything about them, I'm not too worried about them just disregarding EU and going for a new story. As someone else said, let that mouse shaped wrecking ball come through and build something better on top of it.
    I think you underestimate Star Wars fans and the interest in the EU. They haven't come out with so much material in the past decades because only a few people buy them.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.