New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post

I think the best thing they could do with it would be to set Episodes 7+ far enough in the future that the EU material could still have happened, but there would be enough time since it happened that the world could conceivably take whatever shape they want it to take that might look nothing like the EU world. That would also help take care of having to get new actors for all the main characters if they set it shortly after RotJ.
    Yes, either the distant past or the distant future of the Star Wars universe would be a good place to go. Or at least far enough back so the characters haven't been born yet, or far enough forward so that the original characters are all (or almost all -- Jedi longevity tricks, etc.) dead.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Me I actually think I could even become a SW fan again as long as Thrawn exists, Luke marries Mara Jade, and the Solos have three kids named Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin.
    I agree on one stipulation: Jacen's fall to the dark side was the stupidest fall I've seen since Vader's. Fix it.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-10-31 at 08:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    Exactly. One of the best things about Lucas was he supported his fans by letting them run wild with their fandom. Fan fiction movies, shorts, artwork, comic strips, short stories and a whole lot more. As long as they did it for love and not profit he left them alone.

Disney can be like Scrooge McDuck and every evil queen in their movies rolled into one.

Oh and the first thing I ever thought of when Supernatural originally aired.

Jared Padalecki should be Luke Skywalker.
    Can Jensen Ackles play Leia? He could pull it off.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2012-10-31 at 09:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    We got to the fourth page without anybody mentioning that Leia is now part of the Disney Princess franchise?
    Is she? Looks to me like membership is limited to the animated-film heroines.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Basically this for me. Anything past 25 ABY (start of the NJO) can go, no question. I'd like to see EU canon stay the same up through 19 ABY (the surrender of the Empire and the end of the Galactic Civil War) since as I said before most of the stuff up through there is actually good, but as long as they don't screw up the high points (Thrawn, Centerpoint, X-Wing series, etc.) I could deal with a few retcons here and there.

I think I read that they're setting it 10 years after RotJ, which would put it in 14 ABY right around the Jedi Academy trilogy. The two big events in the "good" books after that are the Corellian Insurrection and Black Fleet Crisis, so as long as they just ignore those instead of explicitly retconning them that should be fine.
    There's an underlying question that probably detemines everything and that's whether they go with recast existing characters or go for a new generation. Right now I take anything we might "know" or hear about this Episode VII to be written in sand below the tide line, not stone. Whatever the Mouse may have planned it still has to get through the nitty gritty of getting to a working screenplay with director, cast, and start filming. I think the biggest single decision will be whether they recast, or go for a new set of protagonists.

If they go for a new generation then you can quite possibly put the EU up to point into continuity. And it would let them do certain things like have the original cast cameo in-character. Mark Hamill showing up a bit to be the Obi-Wan or Yoda would be very cyclical and appropriate to the series. And doing this would at least allow the EU to be retained to a point, though does lock in certain things.

I suspect that the powers that be will find that a little binding (even aside from the EU) with a less sure bet and be looking to recast Luke/Leia/Han/etc. And once you do that then I think there's no really saving the EU as the movie would undoubtedly need to deal at least once with what's going on. I'm sure there would be some Fan Wank to try and save stuff... but its hard to see the standing definition of tiers holding up which would rob the authority from the EU most of all. At that point... yeah time to put it down.

When I'm being completely honest though I think that I only need certain conceptual elements brought over. Now while admittedly SW has always been different I think the superhero movies show that you can modify elements of the mythos and still be well regarded. I realize I don't care so much about actual events as long as the characters and I hold in high regard remain.

Essentially arrive at a relationship similar to say the DCU and the DCAU, where though the latter shares no continuity everyone generally still feels in-character. If relationships and characters stay intact the events can work themselves out and it all still feels true and valid. SW is now in all likelihood going to have to transition from a single canon into a more conceptual mythos.

I still fanboy enough I think to find the idea of doing say... the revived-Palps with Thrawn as the Dragon conceptually made of awesome and ripe with appeal. The sort of thing that can both work for the general populace, but amounts to big love letter to long term fans for their devotion. This is pretty thoroughly impossible with existing canon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well, personally, if they make Thrawn and TIE Fighter have unhappened, I'm done, as those were by far the best bits of Star Wars. (NJO and onwards is already uncanoned for me anyway, so I really don't care about that end.) They might get a pass if Thrawn (and Mara) appear in some recognisable form, otherwise: nope.

And unThrawning seems the most likely happening, because he's not a sith, and thus doesn't have a shiny lightsabre or superpowers to wave around (and thus likely to be far too subtle/different a villain to those in most other SW non-EU-or-Clone-Wars-cartoon villains.)

If they do unThrawn Thrawn, the only way they'll get any pennies from me again, like period, is if they have a serious starship battle (because I will forgive almost anything for a serious starship battle); but I'm talking like, ten-twenty solid minutes of massed starship combat, without any lightsabre duels getting in the way (because starships have been and always will be infinitely cooler than laser-swords.)
    I would say that is the great potential of this deal. The biggest problem with SW this century has been Lucas himself. If he's sufficiently cordoned off from the project then we can actually a fresh vision brought to bare on the series. Maybe even one that remember that the original movie's climax hinged on a space battle and not lightsaber fights.

Now admittedly Thrawn is unlikely to be the Big Bad. Even Zahn himself made up a Force oriented threat in C'boath as that sort of personnel conflict is very much a part of SW too but not something Thrawn is conceptually well suited for or should ever be in.

Admit it though you probably like the idea of him playing a (technically) supporting villain role character intact, and maybe even getting to survive to cause even more trouble going forward yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I agree on one stipulation: Jacen's fall to the dark side was the stupidest fall I've seen since Vader's. Fix it.
    I figured that was implied. The Solo kids (all three), Ben, and Mara all live to see their grandkids of course. They don't have to die of old age, but they sure as hell go out like bad assess. All the original cast can die of old age when appropriate though.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, the easiest and possibly best thing to do would be to set it after Legacy: War. They could start fresh with a new (at least to the film world) crop of characters, with freedom to do whatever the heck they wanted without damaging existing EU continuity. As a bonus, the era in question is set up perfectly for an old-school story setup: No alien weirdness here, just the main characters, a galactic government doomed to fail/fracture somehow, and a group of Sith that prefer to work undercover.

Alas, it seems it's too late for this.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post

I think I read that they're setting it 10 years after RotJ, which would put it in 14 ABY right around the Jedi Academy trilogy. The two big events in the "good" books after that are the Corellian Insurrection and Black Fleet Crisis, so as long as they just ignore those instead of explicitly retconning them that should be fine.
    Actually, that's a bit after the Jedi Academy Trilogy which is around 11 ABY.

14 ABY would be roughly around the time of The Crystal Star, and Crimson Empire III.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Actually, that's a bit after the Jedi Academy Trilogy which is around 11 ABY.

14 ABY would be roughly around the time of The Crystal Star, and Crimson Empire III.
    Whoops, that was supposed to be the Jedi Knight trilogy, the games with Kyle Katarn, not the Jedi Academy trilogy.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    I would back this up 100% though might as well just take the entire cast of fire fly and do it in star wars... Summer Glau for a new age version of Luke? Lucy skywalker anyone,n:
    Or perhaps she could be Luke's new robot buddy?

TOK715: Beeb beem whoo.
    3PO: Now really, TOK715. I hardy think snapping his neck is an appropriate response.

10. - Top - End - #220

The question was: what will George Lucas do with all the money he got from selling Lucasfilm to Disney?

And now, we know.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

The best editorial I've read yet on the subject:

George Lucas Just Saved Star Wars by Firing George Lucas

Money Quote
    Fans of the franchise are certainly skeptical about these new movies after being forced to suffer through Lucas’s bitter meanderings through the universe he inspired. But should they be? While Lucas will remain as a creative consultant, Disney has already shown the ability to produce action packed crowd pleasers for children and adults alike, and their success with trusting Marvel’s Avengers to Whedon was admirable. And really, your childhood can only be destroyed in front of you once. How much worse could it be?
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-11-01 at 08:04 AM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

12. - Top - End - #222

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    The question was: what will George Lucas do with all the money he got from selling Lucasfilm to Disney?

And now, we know.
    He's going to build working R2 units ...

Oh. Actually, not going to lie, my respect for him shot up tremendously from that article.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    There was lots of animated Characters in Star Wars Christmas Special including her.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    How about Princess Kneesea?

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content...et_kneesaa.png
    Last edited by snoopy13a; 2012-11-01 at 02:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Any comment on what RedLetterMedia has to say about this yet?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Okay guys so I found a report that this "Episode VII" will be "an original story" and explicitly not the Thrawn trilogy.
    Well, there goes 90% of my interest.

So now then under the working premise that the EU is going to be definitively shattered in tiny pieces by a superlaser as the new movies will not be adapting matierial... what's the best/most-tolerable way to go about this?
    Honestly, I don't think I care what happens to the EU anymore. Cannonicity doesn't mean squat to me, so the stories I like won't be effected, and there's the off chance that the new stuff will be better than the old - or at least what's become of the old.

I will say that I'm not a fan of the idea of "rebooting" Zahn's characters, like Thrawn or Mara, if it means any substantial changes to them in the process, though. I honestly think they're closer to being sacred cows of the series to me than most of the movie characters.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I will say that I'm not a fan of the idea of "rebooting" Zahn's characters, like Thrawn or Mara, if it means any substantial changes to them in the process, though. I honestly think they're closer to being sacred cows of the series to me than most of the movie characters.

Zevox
    I totally agree.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Whether or not existing EU characters are included in any way probably depends on the rights situation. If Zahn holds the rights to Thrawn and Mara Jade etc., then there's probably no chance. If the rights are held by LucasArts, that might be a different story.

Apparently plans for a third trilogy began circulating "last August", so it's likely that the initial groundwork has already been laid. And with the original story idea almost certainly coming from Lucas... my guess is that all the post-RotJ EU material is just going to be cut off at the knees, the same way everything that was written about the Clone Wars prior to the release of the PT was.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

What are the odds we get cameos from the cast of previous Star Wars films?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Am I too late to post this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-11-01 at 11:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Am I too late to post this?

Spoiler
    Show
    What the...? I don't even...? I'm so confused!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    What the...? I don't even...? I'm so confused!
    George Lucas handing over the Star Wars cash cow to Mickey the Hutt.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    George Lucas handing over the Star Wars cash cow to Mickey the Hutt.
    Yeah, but it makes no sense. That hardly looks like George Lucas. Why is a cow dressed in a skimpy bikini? Why is Mickey a giant, fat, slug creature? What's going on? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Because no new material, like the prequels, or the Clone Wars show, or various supplementary materials have ever retconned anything? Seriously, stuff like that happens all the time. The EU goes on. That's an entirely different matter than tossing the whole EU (or very large sections of it) out. I would fully expect the movie to be treated as G-level canon.
    This guy right here has the right idea. The star wars universe is full of crap getting retconed away. Let's face it, everyone knows about the Thrawn Trilogy, right? Well here's the thing, those books feature a scene where Thrawn specifically mentions that the Clone Wars were a clone rebellion that fought against the Empire and were eventually destroyed by the Jedi. Of course fast forward 10-15 years and it's clear that is not the case. Clearly there is no grantee that the new movie will follow cannon, if anything the exact opposite is true.
    Last edited by stabbybelkar; 2012-11-02 at 01:56 AM.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stabbybelkar View Post
    This guy right here has the right idea. The star wars universe is full of crap getting retconed away. Let's face it, everyone knows about the Thrawn Trilogy, right? Well here's the thing, those books feature a scene where Thrawn specifically mentions that the Clone Wars were a clone rebellion that fought against the Empire and were eventually destroyed by the Jedi. Of course fast forward 10-15 years and it's clear that is not the case. Clearly there is no grantee that the new movie will follow cannon, if anything the exact opposite is true.
    Yarrr! He be right mateys!
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Yarrr! He be right mateys!
    Aye, the Cannon Turalisj. It be what we be shootin the EU out of.
    Or did ye be havin issue with such plans me hearty? Say yer piece and be quick about it, lest ye find yerself gettin aquainted with Davey Jones an' his oft' mentioned locker.

Translation; Spelling mistakes aside, were you agreeing?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Aye, the Cannon Turalisj. It be what we be shootin the EU out of.
    Or did ye be havin issue with such plans me hearty? Say yer piece and be quick about it, lest ye find yerself gettin aquainted with Davey Jones an' his oft' mentioned locker.

Translation; Spelling mistakes aside, were you agreeing?
    Yes, I was agreeing. I like about an equal percentage of the EU as I do the prequel movies. That there is a great deal more of the EU than there is of the movies, just means you have more trash to sift through to find the good stuff.

Sure, you have Mara Jade and Thrawn in the EU. But you also have Marty Stu Wedge Antilles during the X-Wing books, you have a certain character getting a moon dropped on him, you've got numerous inconsistencies, and the literary arms race of each writer pushing out bigger and meaner super weapons.

I think wiping it clean would be the best thing at this point. I love Star Wars, but there's so much junk in the EU that it's best to start from scratch and throw in nods to the fandom's favorites (like Mara and Thrawn).
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, a part of me was hoping your entire reply would also be written out in pirate.

I mostly agree, though I'm thinking at least one line there might be a bit controversial with the forum's resident Lich. If you could just work in reference to being uninterested in spaceship battles...

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I mostly agree, though I'm thinking at least one line there might be a bit controversial with the forum's resident Lich.
    And the forum's resident pair of fiendish polyhedrals.

I'm not going to deny that there's a lot of crap in the EU--my Bluff modifier is nowhere near high enough for that--but as I've said several times in this thread the vast majority of the New Republic stuff is somewhere between salvageable and very good, and there's really no reason to throw away the good stuff with the bad. Considering that keeping the good stuff and tossing the old is as easy as setting Ep VII in the 20-25 ABY range, saying everything prior is canon, and blowing away the NJO and everything after that, the only thing to be gained by invalidating the good EU stuff is pissing off the devoted fans.

And they really don't want to piss off the diehard fans this time around. When the prequels came out, my friends asked me "Okay, [Dice], you're the resident Star Wars expert and fanatic, are these movies worth seeing?" Since I'd obviously been reading every press release, watching every trailer, reading all of the between-movies EU books, and otherwise keeping up with everything about the movie, my friends trusted my opinion on whether they were worth watching; if you convince the major fans that Ep VII isn't worth seeing, there's a good chance they'll keep a lot of more casual fans away as well, particularly after everyone got burned by the prequels which is going to make them fairly skeptical this time around.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

Goblin

There is only one thing I hope to see coming from this:

Spoiler
    Show