Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 400
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Surely, they already did that in comic form? I mean, htere's crossovers for everything there.
    Extended Brewer's signature

    Sunt lacrimae rerum et astra mortalia tangunt

    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I want more mwa-ha-haaa and much less boo-hoo-hoo.

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Man on Fire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Surely, they already did that in comic form? I mean, htere's crossovers for everything there.
    Nope. Wizard magazine once did a hypothetical fight but that wa it. Suprisingly, there was no crosover between the two franchiches.

    Another problem I see however: Dark Horse's Star Wars comics are as good as doomed now, Disney will take the licence and give it to Marvel, like they did with Boom!'s Ducktales.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    There is only one thing I hope to see coming from this:

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd rather see Vader fight Bane. He broke the Bat after all. Plus he sounds like Sean Connery.

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I'd rather see Vader fight Bane. He broke the Bat after all. Plus he sounds like Sean Connery.
    Bane is nothing when compared to Doom! No one is a match for Doom, not even that accursed Richards!
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    IMHO that's good new for Star Wars fans.

    EP 4-6 only became so great because Lucas was not allowed to fully realize his visions and had to deal with Executive Meddling and the result was the legendary movies.

    For EP 1-3 he was finally famous and rich enough to fulfill his own vision and well, the result was, well, EP 1-3.

    So if he has only a small consultative role in the creation of EP 7, that is reason to hope that EP 7 can reach the quality of EP 4-6 instead of EP 1-3

    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    This is a joke. Right? Please say it's a joke.
    I think this is a new hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    ...We need to kill this with fire... Disney will ruin Star wars more than Lucas ever could...
    At worst they do equally bad, but I really think they will do better
    Last edited by SoC175; 2012-11-02 at 01:23 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Man on Fire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Bane is nothing when compared to Doom! No one is a match for Doom, not even that accursed Richards!
    Also, Bane belongs to DC, which belong to Warner Bros. Meanwhile Doom is rght there in another company owned by Disney.

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Bulldog Psion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Well, I like the original trilogy, and I like the second and third prequels, also (the Phantom Menace, they can keep), so I'm definitely in a minority here.

    So, I obviously don't mind several different approaches to Star Wars, so now that I'm over the initial surprise, I'm interested to see what they're doing with it.

    Regardless, though, I hope they keep it isolated from their other properties as a stand-alone universe.

    Interestingly, my dad is a fan of the better parts of the EU, so it'll be interesting to see his reaction.
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2012-11-02 at 01:31 PM.
    Spoiler: Poem by Charles Badger Clark
    Show

    So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Nope. Wizard magazine once did a hypothetical fight but that wa it. Suprisingly, there was no crosover between the two franchiches.

    Another problem I see however: Dark Horse's Star Wars comics are as good as doomed now, Disney will take the licence and give it to Marvel, like they did with Boom!'s Ducktales.
    Especially since Marvel published Star Wars comics for nearly a decade. The only ones I read were Droids and Ewoks which were under Marvel's little kids "Star" brand (I was part of the target audience at the time).

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Bane is nothing when compared to Doom! No one is a match for Doom, not even that accursed Richards!
    Doctor Doom has one very big weakness:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Being played by Julian_McMahon.

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DiscipleofBob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Doctor Doom has one very big best possible thing ever:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Being played by Julian_McMahon.
    Fixed that for you.
    RP's
    Bleach in the Playground OOC IC
    I am willing to make and roleplay as characters for people's factions, etcetera on request.

    My Characters:
    My Bleach Characters

    Active Stories:
    Ultimate Wonder Woman on Ultimate DC

    ((On Hiatus:))
    The Shipwreck Pirates, a One Piece original crew fanfic. Arc 2: Tempest Tossed

    Avatar by Necromimesis.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Xondoure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I'm sure it's somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    We are due for a F4 reboot. Preferably without any whining about how the Incredibles stole all their material. (Because Ben shaking a cat out of a tree would not have improved that movie.)
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show


    3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    In theory, we could finally see an on screen adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy. Which. would. be. awesome! I mean, if they're in the preliminary phases of creating a new film right now, then they're going to need a screenplay sometime in the next year or so. And Zahn's trilogy is a screenplay waiting to happen.

    All in all, I have pretty much the same reaction to this news as Confused Matthew did. It's long been apparent that George Lucas was more interested in keeping sole control of his toys than he was in using them to tell interesting, engaging stories that expanded the Star Wars universe. What's worse, his ego kept him from realizing that he had weaknesses (writing, characterization) that went with his strengths (world-building), to the point where I've become convinced that George Lucas' doesn't understand the universe that he created. He is the biggest single example, if not ever then at least since Gene Roddenberry, against the auteur theory of film. And for those of us who actually do care about that universe as a medium for telling engaging stories, then taking the car keys away from him was the best possible thing that could happen.

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Yes, I was agreeing. I like about an equal percentage of the EU as I do the prequel movies. That there is a great deal more of the EU than there is of the movies, just means you have more trash to sift through to find the good stuff.

    Sure, you have Mara Jade and Thrawn in the EU. But you also have Marty Stu Wedge Antilles during the X-Wing books, you have a certain character getting a moon dropped on him, you've got numerous inconsistencies, and the literary arms race of each writer pushing out bigger and meaner super weapons.

    I think wiping it clean would be the best thing at this point. I love Star Wars, but there's so much junk in the EU that it's best to start from scratch and throw in nods to the fandom's favorites (like Mara and Thrawn).
    I disagree with your assessment in a couple particulars. Primarily, Wedge is a movie character, not an EU creation, and the Marty Stu in those books was Corran Horn.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Soras Teva Gee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    He is the biggest single example, if not ever then at least since Gene Roddenberry, against the auteur theory of film. And for those of us who actually do care about that universe as a medium for telling engaging stories, then taking the car keys away from him was the best possible thing that could happen.
    Oh he beats out Roddenberry for damaging his own creative works for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I disagree with your assessment in a couple particulars. Primarily, Wedge is a movie character, not an EU creation, and the Marty Stu in those books was Corran Horn.
    And Wedge in the movies is a recurring extra I personally still cannot picture outside of his flight helmet. We can infer he was a pretty good pilot since but only because he made it out alive not because anything says it on-screen.

    However yeah while there's some Sues around SW for sure... Wedge is not one of them.

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    For that matter, neither is Corran Horn. Not only did he make a number of disastrous mistakes overall, he didn't simply come close to falling to the Dark Side, he practically leaped toward it in his arrogance. If there's a Sue in the X-Wing series, it's Tycho.

    On a related subject, am I the only one that sees a possibility for a TV X-Wing series? Starfighters are one of the most popular portions of the SW universe, and the X-Wing arguably the best known (though the TIE fighter may beat it.)

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    And Wedge in the movies is a recurring extra I personally still cannot picture outside of his flight helmet. We can infer he was a pretty good pilot since but only because he made it out alive not because anything says it on-screen.
    I can (he's the one who said in the Yavin briefing that the shot was impossible, even for a computer, while not wearing his helmet), and we can infer it with a high degree of certainty because he made it through the entire Galactic Civil War in one piece while rising to lead Rogue Squadron and being given command of an entire wing for the Battle of Endor. If you pay attention you can pick out which fighter is his during the battle as well ("Cut to the left, I'll take the leader") and he racks up a fair number of screen-confirmable kills.

    But as a character, no, the movies don't tell us anything about him beyond the fact he's a fighter pilot and apparently very good at it.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-11-02 at 06:45 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Bulldog Psion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    But as a character, no, the movies don't tell us anything about him beyond the fact he's a fighter pilot and apparently very good at it.
    Wedge Antilles in the movies always bothered me as a kid when I first saw the movies, because it always seemed like I was missing something about him. I mean, he's portrayed as kind of a big deal and keeps coming up, IIRC, but he has almost no character development.

    He always seemed like someone who was supposed to be a major character, had all his important scenes removed, but was left in as a bizarre floating reference with no backstory and no real conclusion in the movie.
    Spoiler: Poem by Charles Badger Clark
    Show

    So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time.

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Banned
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    No. No you really didn't!

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I can (he's the one who said in the Yavin briefing that the shot was impossible, even for a computer, while not wearing his helmet), and we can infer it with a high degree of certainty because he made it through the entire Galactic Civil War in one piece while rising to lead Rogue Squadron and being given command of an entire wing for the Battle of Endor. If you pay attention you can pick out which fighter is his during the battle as well ("Cut to the left, I'll take the leader") and he racks up a fair number of screen-confirmable kills.

    But as a character, no, the movies don't tell us anything about him beyond the fact he's a fighter pilot and apparently very good at it.
    He's also the pilot with a Death Star painted on his fighter in RoTJ, though it's fairly difficult to spot without frame-by-framing it.

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    On a related subject, am I the only one that sees a possibility for a TV X-Wing series? Starfighters are one of the most popular portions of the SW universe, and the X-Wing arguably the best known (though the TIE fighter may beat it.)
    I might actually try watching such a thing if it came about. I honestly like the X-Wing series a lot more than a lot of other Star Wars material, in part because it's not about Jedi. It's actually quite refreshing to see regular people as the main cast of Star Wars for a change. Though by the same token I'd be worried that a TV show version, which presumably wouldn't directly adapt the books, would add some Jedi characters into the mix because people expect that of Star Wars media.

    Also, all the Doctor Doom stuff in the past page has made me realize that, since I don't read his comics and his movie sucked, my mental image of him is now completely dominated by the version from Maximilian's Assist Me videos. Not sure what I think of that.

    Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015


  22. - Top - End - #262
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I can (he's the one who said in the Yavin briefing that the shot was impossible, even for a computer, while not wearing his helmet), and we can infer it with a high degree of certainty because he made it through the entire Galactic Civil War in one piece while rising to lead Rogue Squadron and being given command of an entire wing for the Battle of Endor. If you pay attention you can pick out which fighter is his during the battle as well ("Cut to the left, I'll take the leader") and he racks up a fair number of screen-confirmable kills.
    Actually, two different actors play Wedge- the guy in the briefing scene (Colin Higgins) and the guy in the battle scene and all subsequent scenes (Denis Lawson).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    For that matter, neither is Corran Horn. Not only did he make a number of disastrous mistakes overall, he didn't simply come close to falling to the Dark Side, he practically leaped toward it in his arrogance. If there's a Sue in the X-Wing series, it's Tycho.

    On a related subject, am I the only one that sees a possibility for a TV X-Wing series? Starfighters are one of the most popular portions of the SW universe, and the X-Wing arguably the best known (though the TIE fighter may beat it.)
    Nope I'd love to see them do a starfighter tv series even if initially from the Imperial side and show their reaction to events perhaps leading to them rebelling to protect their home.
    A bit far fetched but a Rogue Squadron or better yet a Wraith Squadron series would certainly go down a storm!

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Man on Fire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Counter article

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Its more of a combo article. Disney is making an original story, so good that they are overwriting the one that was already there.

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    fergo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    To be fair, that article's from ages ago. Kind of sneaky of them to sell it as a new one .

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Actually, two different actors play Wedge- the guy in the briefing scene (Colin Higgins) and the guy in the battle scene and all subsequent scenes (Denis Lawson).
    Are you sure? IMDb says nothing about it, and this is the first I've heard of it. There's a second actor credited with voicing Wedge in parts where he's heard over a communicator rather than seen in his cockpit, but his name is David Ankrum.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    uhm why is #5 the undoing of return of the jedi or the first two movies?
    kind of a stupid point really... yes killing the emperor and his super machine of death does not mean the galaxy is now a happy place where everyone is singing and dancing all day long... so what?

    Believing that it has the effect on a half galaxy spanning empire is extremely naive what it did was to break up this unsurmountable enemy into against each other waring factions ie break the problem up into solvable smaller problems.

    Overall the article raises some okayish points later on but the first alone is soooooo monumental stupid that I think a lot of people wont read any further.

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    For that matter, neither is Corran Horn. Not only did he make a number of disastrous mistakes overall, he didn't simply come close to falling to the Dark Side, he practically leaped toward it in his arrogance. If there's a Sue in the X-Wing series, it's Tycho.

    On a related subject, am I the only one that sees a possibility for a TV X-Wing series? Starfighters are one of the most popular portions of the SW universe, and the X-Wing arguably the best known (though the TIE fighter may beat it.)
    A live action X-Wing squadron series would be freaking awesome. Hell they could turn the novels into a show.

    Edit.
    There already was a live action star wars show in the works. Does any one know what became of that? Is it still in the works or has it been axed?
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2012-11-03 at 10:19 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Philistine's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Under a rock

    Default Re: New Star Wars Movie in 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Eh. One good point, a couple of dubious ones, and a couple that are just wrong.
    #5: Even the article itself admits the whole "Galactic Celebration" at the end of RotJ doesn't make a lot of sense in context. Plus, there's the little matter of that silliness being a Special Edition addition - the early EU material (including the Thrawn trilogy) predated the SE releases, so this was really the first case of Lucas taking a dump on the EU rather than the EU getting it wrong.

    #4: While I agree that the "Emperor's Clones" thing is more than a little terrible, it also only took place in a source that is rarely-to-never even referenced outside of itself. Can't we just take the Dark Empire comics as SW's Star Trek V or Threshold, and never speak of it again?

    #3: Here's one I can agree with wholeheartedly. The increasing number of "Order 66 Survivors" - largely invalidating a central premise of the OT - was one of the first things to start turning me off of the EU. However. We're talking about a setting with a million+ inhabited worlds; rebuilding the Jedi Order post-RotJ by finding a limited number of untrained Force-sensitives out of such a crowd doesn't seem unreasonable (and was one of the few good points in the otherwise-lackluster Jedi Academy trilogy).

    #2: Well... maybe. Yes, the whole "Bad guys build super-weapon, good guys overcome incredible odds to destroy it" plot does get old. On top of which, it seems to recur mostly in not-highly-regarded sources, like the aforementioned Dark Empire comics or the Jedi Academy books. On the other hand, with the resources at the Empire's disposal? A whole fleet of Death Stars shouldn't be out of reach; and the minds responsible for its design (and/or the designers' colleagues and competitors) probably would go on to work on bigger and better projects.

    Finally, #1: what is this i dont even
    The writer of the article is as badly off the rails as on #5, starting with the embrace of the imbecilic PT-era "Emotions Bad LOL" party line (note that in the OT only negative emotions were the path to the Dark Side, and Vader's familial feelings were ultimately responsible for his turn away from the Dark Side). And the account of Legacy-era events presented reads like the author has at best heard a distorted third- or fouth-hand retelling of them, rather than actually being familiar with them himself.
    _______________________________________________
    "When Boba Fett told Darth Vader, "As you wish," he was really saying, "I love you.""

    Now Playing:
    Gneiss Copperpot

    Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •