New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Midget Humans?

1. - Top - End - #1

Default Midget Humans?

So having an argument with some random person on another form, when I asked , Hey can I play a midget, and they start going off like I am some sort of cheater ((Lesser Assimar is often played so not like am super optimizing and not picking tier one class anyways).

Is being a midget human so offensive to suggest as wanting to roleplay?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Midget Humans?

I think a small size human with a base movement of 20 ft would seem reasonable if there are no stats written anywhere for this. And no, I do not find midgets offensive in the least.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner View Post
    I think a small size human with a base movement of 20 ft would seem reasonable if there are no stats written anywhere for this.
    It would be almost strictly better than Strongheart Halfling. And Strongheart Halfling is good.
    I would say, you want to be a midget, take up all the mechanical adjustments of a halfling, but still call yourself Human.
    Last edited by Zdrak; 2012-10-30 at 07:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Little person is the preferred nomenclature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrak View Post
    It would be almost strictly better than Strongheart Halfling. And Strongheart Halfling is good.
    O-o What? Why on earth?

So +skill points is more valuable than... everything a strongheart halfling gets?
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd say, Human, but small and 20 feet, is not that strong. Small cancels itself out more or less, and any advantages gained are equalled out by the slower speed.

Maybe give them -2 Str and +2 Dex or Con?
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Play a stronheart halfling.
    In PF you can take the Young template.
    Last edited by Darius Kane; 2012-10-30 at 07:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Little person is the preferred nomenclature.
    That always struck me as odd to be honest. Since
    little person" is also used to refer to children, it seem far worse then just saying "dwarf"(and dwarf also has connections to mythology and in most modern media dwarves are presented as fairly badarse so it seems like a pretty inoffensive term)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    O-o What? Why on earth?

So +skill points is more valuable than... everything a strongheart halfling gets?
    You know what, I actually take it back.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mystral View Post
    I'd say, Human, but small and 20 feet, is not that strong. Small cancels itself out more or less, and any advantages gained are equalled out by the slower speed.

Maybe give them -2 Str and +2 Dex or Con?
    Technically, the appropriate ability adjustments would be -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. But that wouldn't be too fair, so I think you could fudge it to be the halfling adjustments like you said: -2 Str, +2 Dex.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

11. - Top - End - #11

haha yeah very true

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrak View Post
    You know what, I actually take it back.
    I would say it 'is' better. Not because of + skill points, but + skill points AND the bonus feat. Better than +1 for thrown, +1 for saves, +2 vs. fear, and a couple skill check bonus for most builds.

The reason it isn't strictly better is because of the stat adjustments which may be good for a build and also why you shouldn't give a "midget" +2 dex, -2 str as a human. Humans balance themselves by giving a bonus feat in place of stat adjustments. And they aren't balanced, anyway, even without stat mods.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    little person" is also used to refer to children, it seem far worse then just saying "dwarf"(and dwarf also has connections to mythology and in most modern media dwarves are presented as fairly badarse so it seems like a pretty inoffensive term)
    I'm with you, I always thought "little person" sounded extremely condescending. Who decided that it was the preferred title, anyways?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    I would say it 'is' better. Not because of + skill points, but + skill points AND the bonus feat. Better than +1 for thrown, +1 for saves, +2 vs. fear, and a couple skill check bonus for most builds.
    Strongheart halflings get a bonus feat a'la humans. This is why they're considered such a powerful race.

So the difference would be that the humans get +1 skill point/level, while the strongheart halfling gets a slew of other bonii, as both of them get the bonus feat.

(I personally disagree with 'bonus feat is better than everything else', but meh - either way, Strongheart halfling gets the bonus feat along with goodies)
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    So having an argument with some random person on another form, when I asked , Hey can I play a midget, and they start going off like I am some sort of cheater ((Lesser Assimar is often played so not like am super optimizing and not picking tier one class anyways).

Is being a midget human so offensive to suggest as wanting to roleplay?
    I have to ask: is this a Tyrion Lannister expy?

And, no I don't see how it could be offensive. Maybe kind of stupid as I'd probably play another small race, but that's just me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

+2 dex -2 str, bonus skill points and a bonus feat seems too good. You'd never play a halfling again. It's just the clear choice for most things rogue-like, and very solid choice for casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Narren View Post
    I'm with you, I always thought "little person" sounded extremely condescending. Who decided that it was the preferred title, anyways?
    http://www.arturogil.com/m_word.htm

See the essay that follows the etymology.

I didn't realize it was a big deal until I read a letter that Roger Ebert published in his column, from actor and little person Danny Woodburn. The only link I could find for that is a google cache:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

The link on the bottom, to the essay, is broken, but it's the same essay found in the first link.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

+2 dex -2 str, bonus skill points and a bonus feat seems too good. You'd never play a halfling again. It's just the clear choice for most things rogue-like, and very solid choice for casters.
    Funny you should say that, I haven't seen a non-strongheart Halfling in years. Strongheart is much better for stealth/casters than a small human.

Feat
    Small size
    racial skill modifiers (+Move Silently, Climb, jump)
    +2 dex, -2 Str
    +1 to hit with thrown and sling
    +2 saves vs fear
    and the Halfling Language which could be chosen as your party's secret language.

At some point I think we just decided to stop bothering to even call them stronghearts.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I wish people would learn not to put white text on a black screen already. Now my eyes hurt!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I have to ask: is this a Tyrion Lannister expy?

And, no I don't see how it could be offensive. Maybe kind of stupid as I'd probably play another small race, but that's just me.

no it is an all human campaign , and I was totaly wanting to try this

((ignore the racial needs))

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    no it is an all human campaign , and I was totaly wanting to try this

((ignore the racial needs))

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a
    But, if you're ignoring the racial stuff, why do you have to be Small?

21. - Top - End - #21

Becuase if am half the human, that means am only 1/2 La, meaning I can stack half a level of human paragon

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I could totally see "Midget" as a Trait. -1 size category, -10 ft movement speed if base size is Medium. Done.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    Strongheart halflings get a bonus feat a'la humans. This is why they're considered such a powerful race.

So the difference would be that the humans get +1 skill point/level, while the strongheart halfling gets a slew of other bonii, as both of them get the bonus feat.

(I personally disagree with 'bonus feat is better than everything else', but meh - either way, Strongheart halfling gets the bonus feat along with goodies)
    Right. Lightfoot is the one in PHB, right? Also, how have I played this game for seven years and never been a strongheart halfling? Dex is superior to strength in the vast majority of my builds, so I could have been doing 'this' instead of humans?

It's funny, now that I think about it, I have seen strongheart halflings and heard them discussed but it never clicked to play one. I never gave it any thought that I could be one, and never actually made a comparison to humans in my mind, still favoring humans as the best non LA race...
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

24. - Top - End - #24
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Thread locked for review.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex