Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1423
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Sirin gets the door unlocked, just in time. Hearing footsteps, she hastens back to her spot on the wall, just as the guard walks past, glances in again, and keeps on going.

    Unless someone does something, he'll be out of sight in three seconds...
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Silas tensed, hoping that now would not be the time for action. Let him pass, people. It's too risky right now.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    Jodiah shakes her head "My you aren't too bright are you? Move to where: anywhere but here since they know where we are. What are prisoners: WE ARE IN A PRISON I think it would be safe to assume there would be more than us. We stay in here and we will be killed, feel free to remain, for all we know we may not even get a meal it could be the execution squad. I have met several of the sort when it comes to people doing something foolish for an ideal so do no underestimate it. Putting them to sleep great idea now we have someone to drag around behind us or wait for them to wake up. Gagging them is counter productive and once the gag is off it would be very easy for them to shout; further more you are forgetting one massive flaw in the entire plan: your magic may fail and you're assuming that the guard will be more afraid of you than their superiors. Everything else you blathered about is a rehash of what we've been saying. Your follish notion that you can successful interogate a guard will squander what advantage we have: surprise." Turning to the half elf "Miss would you be so kind to open the door, I think we should be leaving, though this one would prefer staying."
    "And you aren't too wise." Bridget retorts. "Your risk analysis is biased by fear. If you are caught outside of this cell you will be killed on sight. Your foolish notion that you can successfully sneak past the myriad checkpoints and guardposts that surely lie in your path will get you killed. In this cell we are safe for the time being; there is no rush. A captured guard will sing; it doesn't matter if they fear us more than their superiors because the only option they'll be given is cooperation or death. If you are all that eager to die, by all means, lead the way. Maybe I'll get some entertainment in my last moments as I watch you get cut down."

    Bridget has trouble believing that the others are rash enough to wander out into the prison without a plan, and suspects there's something they aren't telling her. While the half-pint is surely deranged, the human girl made fast work of those locks and Bridget suspects she is already in league with this patron. That, or they're just as unstable as she suspected.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Silas takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. I really hope that their nerves are making them this chatty. Otherwise we will need to have a talk about the benefits of brevity.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    The guard passes without incident.

    The door is unlocked.

    Things are quiet.

    Now what?
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Making sure that the guard's footsteps have receded out of earshot. Silas nods and whispers to the group. "If you are decent at sneaking, pick a direction and start exploring. If not, stay here and we will come back and coordinate after taking a look." He opens the door and starts to move down the hallway, looking in the nearby cells to see if there are any other prisoners currently in Branderscar that could be potential allies.

    * post roll count doesn't match database

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    ooc: The dice roller is still confusing to me. I accidentally put "1d204" instead of "1d20+4" into my previous post. When I went to fix it, it refused to make the rolls and posted that message in red. How do I edit a dice roll if I make a typo?

    Perception (1d20+4)[12]
    Stealth (1d20+7)[14]

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Finkmilkana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Marthras sliently moves with Silas.

    Stealth:(1d20+7)[24]
    Perception:(1d20+6)[7]

    @Sjurd If you have already posted, you can't. You have to let the faulty roll stay and maybe put it in spoilers and write that it was an error. If you delete it the red message will appear to keep people from cheating.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    ooc: Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know!

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Silas and Marthras step carefully into the hallway...

    They find themselves in about a 100 foot long, ten foot wide corridor, lit by smoky lanterns every 40 feet. There are tons of shadows here, and the inquisitor notes that there are unlit lanterns between the lit ones. The place'd be a lot brighter if they were filled.

    KNOWLEDGE - LOCAL DC 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    Either they aren't getting enough money here to fill the lanterns, or someone's funneling the oil money elsewhere...


    Aside from the cell door just exited, there are four other empty cells along this hallway.

    There is also a corridor between two cells that leads south, to a closed oaken door with a grilled window upon it. Light spills out from the window.

    Directly to the west from your position is a heavily reinforced cell. The bars are twice as thick, and the door to it is bound with a heavily chained padlock.

    Inside, restrained to the wall, is a ten-foot tall creature that resembles a hugely muscular and brutish man, wearing only a loincloth. An ogre!

    He is watching both you, with narrowed eyes. One meaty paw comes up, and he beckons you closer.
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2012-11-03 at 01:13 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Intelligence check (1d20)[14]

    Silas points to the unlit torches in the sconces on the wall. He whispers to Marthas. "Either they aren't getting enough money here to fill the lanterns, or someone's funneling the oil money elsewhere." He pauses in front of the ogre's cell, raising an eyebrow in curiosity. He walks over and leans in to prevent his voice from carrying. "Hey. I'm Silas. You are?"

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    "Grumblejack," rumbles the ogre. "If you're leaving this place I want to come with you. Beats what they got planned fer me."
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    "Time is of the essence, friend. Just a moment." Silas sneaks back to the party's cell and tells them what he saw. "So... there's an ogre in the cell next to us. I'm thinking, hey, he can be quite useful to us right now. I say he joins us, at least until we get out of here."

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Griffith!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Prime Material Plane
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Variel Amphora

    "You know..." Variel begins, picking idly at his fingernail, "We don't get put here for playing well with others. If you want to let the ogre out of it's cage, I'll not stop you, but I will remind you thus - ogres are not known for their stealth.

    "Although... we could simply open all the cells. After all, how many of our compatriots have been wrongfully imprisoned by this oppressive regime? It would be for the greater good to release this ogre."

    His eyes light up, "Just think of the body count."
    I have some health problems, and sometimes vanish suddenly. All apologies.

    "If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you, you won't be able to walk." -Guts

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    "An ogre? Unusual. Did your sister mention this ogre? He could be useful to create a distraction."

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Sirin Starshine


    Upon hearing Silas' information, Sirin rises and makes ready to depart the cell. She takes all her meager equipment (thieves' tools, dagger, and veil) with her.

    Sirin shakes her head in a negative to Bridget. "She didn't mention anything at all about the prison. Said it was part of our test.""

    To Silas, she says, "Let's ask this ogre about his intentions towards us, yes? See if we think he is telling the truth."

    "Not that we have much choice about letting him go. He'll surely shout for the guards if we -don't- let him go. But we can at least see if we should encourage him to find his own way out, yes?"


    She asks first for directions from Silas, then she sneakily makes her way out of the cell, straining her senses and scanning in every direction as she goes to talk to the ogre.

    Various rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+11)[20]

    Stealth: (1d20+7)[22]

    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+5)[24]


    She waits until at least Silas or Marthras is there to watch the ogre with her, then she gives the ogre a friendly smile. "Hello. Nice to meet you."

    "Who are you, what are you here for, and can you agree not to attack us or give us away while we make our escape?"


    Spoiler
    Show
    It's quite possible the DM would wish to roll this himself so that we don't know how good our Sense Motive checks are.

    But in case we are to roll this ourselves anyway, here is the roll:

    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[17]

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    The ogre looks down at the tiny half-elf.

    "Name's Grumblejack. Here for killin' li'l squealers. You take me with you I won't attack you none. I'll foller directions. Hell, get me out this place I'll owe you an' yers a life debt. Swear by me gut!"

    SIRIN
    Spoiler
    Show
    He seems sincere.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Sirin Starshine


    Sirin studies Grumblejack carefully, then says brightly, "Sure. But while I work on your lock, tell me: What's a squealer?"

    "Also, do you know anything about this prison? Like a floor plan, how many guards there are, stuff like that?"


    Then she kneels down and begins to work on the door lock with her tools.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on the Disable Device check for the door lock.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2012-11-03 at 09:22 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect that the lock to Grumblejack's door is better than the one that kept our own cell secure, so I am putting in three rolls for Disable Device, as Sirin will keep trying to open the door.

    She feels okay with opening the door because, even if her intuition about the ogre is wrong, he is still bound by the chain.

    Extra +2 for the thieves' tools being masterwork.

    Disable Device #1: (1d20+8)[25]

    Disable Device #2: (1d20+8)[16]

    Disable Device #3: (1d20+8)[28]

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Finkmilkana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Marthras carefully eyes the ogre, looking for signs of imminent betrayal once the door opens.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive:(1d20+7)[19]


    "Hmm, we could wait until they bring us food and then jump them with the help of our our new friend. I guess behind that door is a guard post, so avoiding them would be hard and it seems better to make our move when they are busy with delivering food in a space we know than blindly charging into their room. We just have to hope that no one stays outside that door but sometimes you just have to take risks."
    Last edited by Finkmilkana; 2012-11-03 at 09:49 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    "Squealers is anything two-legger that ain't as big as me and weaker'n me. I robbed 'em on the roads, I did, and took food an' gold an' drink from 'em. Then they caught me."

    "I don't know much 'bout this place. Was too busy fightin' when they was draggin' me up here. Took two of'em down fore they got them manacles on!"

    The door opens under Sirin's expert ministrations. The ogre grins widely, showing yellowed tusks, and offers his chained wrists to her.

    MARTHRAS
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're not seeing any signs of treachery. This guy doesn't have much of a poker face at all. It's more of a "go fish" face.
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2012-11-03 at 10:36 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Sirin Starshine


    Sirin stops out of arm's and leg's reach of Grumblejack. She bites her lower lip and speaks.

    "You really swear to follow directions, not harm us, and fight as quietly as possible at our side?"

    If he says yes and she believes him and no one else says he's lying, she begins to work on the manacles.

    Various rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[13]

    Contingent on his saying yes, on Sirin's Sense Motive roll saying he's telling the truth, and on no one else saying the ogre is lying.

    Sirin will wait at least a few seconds before she goes to work on the manacles, to give Marthras and others a chance to speak up.

    If all the above conditions are met, Sirin begins to work on the manacles:

    Disable Device #1: (1d20+8)[18]

    Disable Device #2: (1d20+8)[16]

    Disable Device #3: (1d20+8)[16]

    Add +2 for using the masterwork tools.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    "Swear by my GUT, woman. Will follow directions, not hurt you, kill stuff when you say, and try'n stay quiet."

    SIRIN
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are pretty certain that he is telling the truth.


    The manacles click open on the first try, and Grumblejack grins hugely, lifting his huge hands and flexing them.

    Then he looks down.

    "Hahahhaha! Good, good. Now what you want me to do?"
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  24. - Top - End - #84
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Silas holds up two hands in a plaintive pose. He whispers in a twang reminiscent of the ogre's rustic accent. "Now, I know yer itchin' fer some action 'gainst them squealers. Oh yes, there will be blood. But if we go smashin' heads'n makin' a racket, we're liable to wind up back in these cages. Why don't you stay here fer a spell with some of our friends, while the sneaky folks here take a look-see? We'll be back'n talk to y'all 'bout what we find."

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Sirin Starshine

    Sirin had been holding her breath, half-expecting Grumblejack to reach for her and break her neck.

    When the ogre doesn't attack her and in fact appears to be friendly, she lets out her breath and shivers with release of tension.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjurd View Post
    Silas holds up two hands in a plaintive pose. He whispers in a twang reminiscent of the ogre's rustic accent. "Now, I know yer itchin' fer some action 'gainst them squealers. Oh yes, there will be blood. But if we go smashin' heads'n makin' a racket, we're liable to wind up back in these cages. Why don't you stay here fer a spell with some of our friends, while the sneaky folks here take a look-see? We'll be back'n talk to y'all 'bout what we find."
    Sirin gives Silas the half-orc a bland look.

    To Grumblejack, she says, "Just follow us for now, Grumblejack. We'll sneak ahead, find some guards for you to stomp on. But quietly. No shouting."

    She goes to the prisoners' original cell and quietly announces, "So far so good. We will explore further away soon."

    "Oh, and we have found an ally. He seems reliable enough. An ogre called Grumblejack."

    "I don't know when Silas, Marthras and I can next send word about our status, if we move too far away. Maybe we should all leave now?"


    She goes back to Marthras, Silas, and Grumblejack. "Let's continue to explore, find a way out."

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Silas, Marthras, and Sirin all have +7 bonus to Stealth rolls, so I guess it doesn't really matter who goes first.

    The only real problem is vision, but there seems to be enough light for now.

    Anyway, here are Sirin's rolls for the next round or so:

    Perception: (1d20+11)[24]

    Stealth: (1d20+7)[25]

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Finkmilkana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Marthras moves silently besides Sirin.

    Where do you wana go? As I said I believe behind that door is a guardpost that would notice it if we opened the door. Right now I'm still rather in favor of jumping them together with Grumblejack when they deliver food.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth:(1d20+7)[17]
    Perception:(1d20+6)[21]

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Sirin Starshine


    Sirin quietly replies to Marthras, "That might work. But when they bring food, they come 2 or 3 at a time."

    "A guard might be just one man. And he is sure to have weapons, unlike the food bringers. It's hard to say which one is more risky."


    She glances at Silas and Marthras and Grumblejack. "Let us go and check what may await us on the other side of that door to the south, at the end of the corridor."

    "Grumblejack, please hang back a bit so they don't see or hear you."


    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    There is also a corridor between two cells that leads south, to a closed oaken door with a grilled window upon it. Light spills out from the window.
    She walks southward, towards the door to the south, the one with the grill.

    As she comes within 30 feet of it, she takes especially care to move quietly, crouching down so that anyone who peers through the grill does not see her easily.

    First, Sirin listens for sounds of any guard on the other end.

    If she hears no one, she peeks through the grill, glancing for just a moment in case anyone there might see her.


    Various rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (Listen): (1d20+11)[14]

    Stealth: (1d20+7)[27]

    Perception (Look): (1d20+11)[31]

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Grumblejack ambles toward the cell, and looks over the scallywags waiting inside. He raises a paw and says "Yo."

    Meanwhile, Sirin and Marthras creep up to the door.

    As they get within 20-30 feet, she can hear muffled conversation. Even with the window, the door's pretty good at blocking noise.

    Peering through the window, she sees a small guard room, lit by a single torch in a sconce. It contains a table and two chairs, both occupied. There are two doors... The one that the villains are peering through, and one on the eastern wall. A staircase descends in the western portion of the room. There is an almost comically large fireplace here, currently unlit.

    Two guards occupy the table and chairs. They laugh, and throw cards at an overturned helm, talking about women, their day, how much of an arse Sgt. Blackerly is, and other minor things. A signal horn rests on the table between them.

    Now that you've got time to study them, you can tally their kit. All are wearing chain shirts, and they have heavy steel shields nearby. They are armed with longswords, truncheons, and longbows, with quivers of arrows hanging from their backs. They are not wearing keyrings.

    A keyring IS visible hanging on a hook set into the back wall, on the southern end of the chamber. Also on the southern end is a corkboard, with what look to be scrawlings of parchment across it. They are currently illegible from your position.
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2012-11-04 at 12:03 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Sirin Starshine


    When Sirin turns back from her peek through the door grill, the half-elf looks strangely both horrified and excited. She gestures for Silas, Marthras, and Grumblejack to move backwards away from the door.

    When the four of them are far away enough (maybe 30 feet), she whispers her observations in as much detail as she can.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please assume that Sirin mentioned everything Lost Demiurge posted earlier about the contents of the guard room.


    "The two guards I can see are both armed and armored. There might be more I cannot see."

    "I think we need magic for this. I can open the door, but they might hear me picking the lock."

    "I'll go tell the others. Maybe they have a solution."


    She goes back to the prisoners' original cell and reports to the ones inside, giving her observations in as much detail as she can remember seeing.

    "To the south is a door with a grill in it. I snuck up and peeked through the grill."

    "The two guards I can see are both armed and armored. There might be more I cannot see."

    "I think we need magic for this. I can open the door, but they might hear me picking the lock."
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2012-11-04 at 12:18 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sjurd's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder IC)

    Silas rubs his chin in thought. "What if we have two people stay here in the cell, and make loud noises like they are having a fistfight? The rest of us press against the wall behind the door as it opens, then jump the guards from behind when they come out to take a look."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •