New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Elan's Happy Ending

(might be some spoilers)

We all know Elan asked the Oracle if this story will have a happy ending and he said that it will for you at least. Knowing this we can assume some of the party members will not have a very happy ending.

Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak: (I have this in a spoiler since I can not for the life of me remember if the main comic stated it or not) His plan is to release the snarl for the Dark One to use as a bargaining chip to get Goblinkind a better life or worse case destroy the world so the Dark One will have a voice with the new creation. The plan is for EQUAL place not superior in my eyes at least this seems fair and actually more good then evil. Unfortunately because he is a goblin he is forced to team up with Xykon which it has been revealed was not what he had in mind and showed reluctance until it became clear he had no choice. It has finally became a point that he is actively trying to retame and control Xykon for the Goblins chance at a better life.

Elan: It has already shown he is not racist since he did like (if not love in a way) a half-orc. He has also showed that he has a child like view of the world.

If Redcloak reveals why he is doing everything can Elan really stop that AND have a happy ending?
    Last edited by Rougn; 2012-10-31 at 11:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Elan's Happy Ending

I doubt Elan would ever know about, let alone understand, Redcloak's plan. And since the Gobbotopia is being accepted by other nations I assume that the goblinoids will reach equality even without Redcloak's success.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    I doubt Elan would ever know about, let alone understand, Redcloak's plan. And since the Gobbotopia is being accepted by other nations I assume that the goblinoids will reach equality even without Redcloak's success.
    Gobbotopia is only really being accepted by 3rd world(ish) countries and bandit countries not by the major powers I thought. And with Elan finding out all it would take would be for redcloak do the stereotypical evil villain rant.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rougn View Post
    Gobbotopia is only really being accepted by 3rd world(ish) countries and bandit countries not by the major powers I thought. And with Elan finding out all it would take would be for redcloak do the stereotypical evil villain rant.
    No, at least one major city economic power (the City State of Cliffport) has recognized Gobbotopia. I don't think its a coincidence that Redcloak has technically accomplished a lot of what he originally set out to do, and is still going along with the plan. He is supposed to be something of a tragic villain, after all.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rougn View Post
    How do you know that? And what are the major powers, anyway? So far, one of the oldest and most powerful coutry has been destroyed by Xykon and Redcloak, another (Cliffport) acknowledged Gobbotopia already. The most powerful nations on the Western continent aren't exactly Good, and the -where kingdoms are small-scale enough that a pair of moderately-leveled assasins seem to be all that it takes to kill the king.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, Redcloak is far from a stereotypical villain and has little reason to explain his plan unless he is 100% sure the hearer will not see the next sunrise.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2012-10-31 at 02:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quite apart from the above objections, I don't think Elan would lose much sleep over stopping Redcloak's plan, no matter how justified it is.

It's not just that Redcloak is the bad guy, and Elan is a sucker for dramatic convention. Elan has lost friends to Redcloak's crusade, and he's seen the amount of suffering it's caused. And he's still naive enough to think that if Redcloak really wanted equality, there are better ways of doing it that all-out war or, even worse, trying to control the Snarl.

So, sure, he may appreciate the tragedy of Redcloak's position, and it may upset him for a while, but he's not going to let it get in the way of his happy ending.

P.S. My first post here in months... whoo!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    ... no matter how justified it is.[/SIZE]
    ... which it is not. So we do not need to bother to think about this. ;)
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    ... which it is not. So we do not need to bother to think about this. ;)
    Well, Elan has a tendancy to be a bit soppy. Learning that the evil guy had good intentions all along (and wasn't must being a big meanie for the sake of it) might give him a pause for thought.

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, Elan has a tendancy to be a bit soppy. Learning that the evil guy had good intentions all along (and wasn't must being a big meanie for the sake of it) might give him a pause for thought.
    But then he will say "But... but you killed all those people for this silly plan? Even if you did not have to? You are a... a horrible person!" and we are back on track.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

11. - Top - End - #11

Exactly my point . I just think that it's relevant that, more so than anyone else, he'd be sympathetic to Redcloak... even if it was just for a moment.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

How do you know that? And what are the major powers, anyway? So far, one of the oldest and most powerful coutry has been destroyed by Xykon and Redcloak, another (Cliffport) acknowledged Gobbotopia already. The most powerful nations on the Western continent aren't exactly Good, and the -where kingdoms are small-scale enough that a pair of moderately-leveled assasins seem to be all that it takes to kill the king.
    Redcloak characterized Gobbotopia's pre-Cliffport recognition portfolio as being composed of "some of the more mercenary nations". This doesn't say much about their power, but rather their diplomatic strategies, but it does explaim where one might get the idea that Cliffport is the powerful exception among them all.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Redcloak characterized Gobbotopia's pre-Cliffport recognition portfolio as being composed of "some of the more mercenary nations". This doesn't say much about their power, but rather their diplomatic strategies, but it does explaim where one might get the idea that Cliffport is the powerful exception among them all.
    I think another thing that makes Cliffport important is that it's one of the world's major trading powers, so getting it to recognize Gobbotopia is a huge step towards self-sufficiency, since the inhabitants can now trade for supplies they don't have on hand.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And he's still naive enough to think that if Redcloak really wanted equality, there are better ways of doing it that all-out war or, even worse, trying to control the Snarl.
    Which, as it happens, could very well be true.

15. - Top - End - #15

RangerGuy

Simple. The comic ends with Elan visiting a massage parlor.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

I have to wonder - is The Plan going to actually end up destroying Gobbotopia? It is build right under a massive rift. If anything goes wrong with the last gate (or last two gates - I'm kind of assuming that the current storyline in the pyramid is going to end with an exploding gate ) Redcloak will basically end up releasing the Snarl right on top of his beloved Goblinoid nation. Could realizing this possibility cause a last miute Heel Face Turn by everyone favorite goblin cleric?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just one problem with that idea:

Even IF Redcloak would be ok with equality instead of superiority, who says that the Dark One actually is?
    Sure he might have told Redcloak that. But he's an Evil god. He tells people what they want to hear, so they go along with his Plan.

Seriously, if an Evil god has a doomsday weapon aimed at the other gods, why would he stop at equality?

Elan might figure that out.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wonder which one of the two is inherently more Evil - Redcloak, or the Dark One?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I wonder which one of the two is inherently more Evil - Redcloak, or the Dark One?
    If the Dark One was more interested in coexistence than Redcloak seems to be, you'd think he'd have given Redcloak a less approving message.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Just one problem with that idea:

Even IF Redcloak would be ok with equality instead of superiority, who says that the Dark One actually is?
    Sure he might have told Redcloak that. But he's an Evil god. He tells people what they want to hear, so they go along with his Plan.

Seriously, if an Evil god has a doomsday weapon aimed at the other gods, why would he stop at equality?
    Because he's not sure if he can get away with anything more?
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Because he's not sure if he can get away with anything more?
    The Plan exists to give the Dark One the power to deploy an unstoppable superweapon anywhere he likes and anytime he chooses. With what, assuming as the Dark One does that The Plan should work as intended (with no wrinkles like there being a planet where the Snarl is supposed to be), can he not get away?

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    The Plan exists to give the Dark One the power to deploy an unstoppable superweapon anywhere he likes and anytime he chooses. With what, assuming as the Dark One does that The Plan should work as intended (with no wrinkles like there being a planet where the Snarl is supposed to be), can he not get away?
    If he pushes the Gods too far, they may refuse his demands, gambling that they can escape and rebind the Snarl (after they kill him, of course).

Lego Ergo Sum

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

10 gp says he discovers a land made entirely out of ice cream.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

There will be a demi-plane of ice cream somewhere. Where the lawful forces of Vanilla war with the chaotic forces of Strawberry and the neutral side of Chocolate acts as a mercenary nation. Other flavours would most likely be animals and monsters.

On a more serious note, I suspect that Elan's happy ending has to involve Haley at least, if not the majority of the good guys, surviving.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Every time I see this thread pop up, I keep thinking of Elan running a massage parlour, and Haley being his only customer.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

I think Elan would be happy enough if Redloak was defeated, but a non-Evil goblin nation manages to take off. Perhaps Jirix will give up his cleric powers when he realized that the Dark One isn't going to settle for mere coexistence (unless he legitimately does only want a fair shake and not whatever he can get away with, which seems to run counter to him being god of all three Goblin races when they're three different flavors of Often Evil).

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Every time I see this thread pop up, I keep thinking of Elan running a massage parlour, and Haley being his only customer.
    Vice-versa would be a little more fitting...we'd probably better not go too far with this line of thought, lest the scrubbers arrive.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I suspect that Elan's happy ending has to involve Haley at least, if not the majority of the good guys, surviving.
    Being a bard, Elan sees the world through storytelling tropes, and thus his definition of a happy ending is probably "save the world, get the girl, live happily ever after". By that, we can assume that Haley is safe, but most other characters are fair game.

As for Redcloak and the Plan, I think that Redcloak is, sooner or later, going to turn on Xykon and help the Order defeat him. If that happens, I think that Elan would be happy to help Redcloak come up with a peaceful solution to the goblin's plight.
    Go not to the Dragons for counsel, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think the real issue is:

Spoiler
    Show
    How will he have a happy ending while knowing he will have to anticlimactically kill his father.

Spoilered for your convenience.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gbrngfol View Post
    I think the real issue is:

Spoiler
    Show
    How will he have a happy ending while knowing he will have to anticlimactically kill his father.

Spoilered for your convenience.
    Actually it is KNOWN that he will kill his Father. All that is known is that they have to eventually fight. It could potentially lead up to a Luke Skywalker & Darth Vader type thing where he invariable saves his Father from the Dark Side, but he still dies...

That is sort of a bitter sweet happy ending.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Actually it is KNOWN that he will kill his Father. All that is known is that they have to eventually fight. It could potentially lead up to a Luke Skywalker & Darth Vader type thing where he invariable saves his Father from the Dark Side, but he still dies...

That is sort of a bitter sweet happy ending.
    Agreed. Search your feelings... you know it to be true.

Have Fun!
    Niknokitueu
    Join the HackMaster revolution (now new and improved: 5th Ed HackMaster!)
    Getting the Hack on since 2001 - I like my AD&D 'Old School'.

Psyren:
    "Just want to point out that if your argument for [Durkula being] LG relies on pointing to Miko, you may need to rethink it from the ground up."