New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Pimp mah droid

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Pimp mah droid

Hey there, long time lurker, new poster, blah blah blah, candy corn.

Anyways, recent my group starts a Saga Edition game, and I'd like some input on how to pimp out my assassin droid character.
    Note: Empire era, however I have connections on Nar Shadaa that can get me any item, including lightsabers.
    Currently, lvl 7 soldier/1 elite trooper, carrying a heavy blaster pistol in his arm (B2 SBD style) a flamethrower and missile launcher/grenade launcher in his left arm. 2 miniaturized probes that I can see through and use to interface.
    I am planning on adding a dart launcher in my left arm (poisoned, of course) and a lightsaber in the back of my right hand (very expensive to be miniaturized, but the GM appreciates the cool factor) a vibro knife in my left hand, carbonite Projector and heavy repeater on my shoulders. Probably add a gas sprayer under my vocabulator.

So:
    Query: What are your suggestions to improve my combative capacities? Anything at all is on the table, so long as I have the money and time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Pimp mah droid

First, I would like to know what it is you expect to fight the most. Gunmen? Melee attackers? Starship battles? Also, what can the other party members do well?

Once I know that, I can help. :)

Edit: Also, from what you are describing, that's no assassin droid. More like a heavy war droid.
    Last edited by Alejandro; 2012-11-05 at 10:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

For the most part, I am expecting gunmen, but a healthy amount of Jedi once the hunting gets swinging.

As for all the armaments, it's mostly because I came from D&D 3.5, and wanted to be prepared for anything.
    Plus I aim for subtlety :p

Edit: forgot some stuff. Currently,it is just a Jedi and I. He is a melee build with defensive force powers, double bladed saber.
    I also forgot to mention all this weaponry is literally inside my body. As in conceaped retracting panels.
    The GM allows for skill training to be for any skill, and do I have training in deceptions an persuasion to pass off as other types of droids (IE, medical, protocol, repair)
    Last edited by Lawleepawpz; 2012-11-05 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Left things out

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You must be a huge droid to entirely fold a heavy repeating blaster into. :)

I will give you some of my recommendations after I finish sorting them out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Okay, here we go.

Working with a Soldier 7/Elite Soldier 1, assassin droid. I could suggest several alternates, including Scoundrel and Scout levels, but unless you ask for that advice, I will stick with the level list you gave.

First and foremost, you don't need all those weapons. It's much better to be really lethal with a few weapons. As an assassin droid that expects to be in gunfights and also to deal with Jedi, I recommend the following:

Weapons:
    Sniper Blaster Rifle
    Heavy Blaster Pistol
    Flamethrower
    Several grenades (no need for a launcher, just chuck em)
    Your metal fist (more later)
    The lightsaber you mentioned is unnecessary. It's not that impressive without the talents and abilities to back it up, which you won't have.

You're already proficient with all of those things except the flamethrower by being a Soldier, so we'll spend one feat to pick up Heavy Weapons.

Two more feats to get Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot; then take Deadeye. Pick up Martial Arts I, and then Mechanical Martial Arts (from Scavenger's Guide to Droids.) Finally, Multi-Targeting, also from that book.

Talents are more up to you and what you like. If you want to mount nice armor on the droid, you'll want the Armor talents from the main book, Soldier chapter. I suggest Target Acquisition and Weapons Power Surge, from the Scavenger's book.

I don't actually like many of the Elite Trooper talents in the main book, so I suggest Ambush from the Clone Wars book. Now, let's tie it together.

When using your sniper blaster rifle, since you are an assassin droid, we'll assume you are going to try to get the first shot off, preferably at range. Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot will help you depending on how close you are and if the target is in melee with, say, your Jedi buddy. Take two swift actions to aim, and then fire. Since you aimed, you get to add another damage dice from Deadeye, taking the base 3d10 to 4d10. If you are firing on a target that has not yet acted in combat (which you should strive for, as an assassin) you do two more dice of damage from your Ambush talent. That takes us to 6d10, which is quite the opening shot. :)

Target Acquisition helps with this, because it lets you break up your aiming actions, so you do not have to take the two aiming actions in the same round you attack. This will help out immensely after the battle has begun.

Most of this also applies to your heavy blaster pistol, and your flamethrower as well. You can aim with both, and when you do, you gain one more dice of damage. Ambush works for them too, if it's an attack on someone who hasn't acted, but this will be harder to do since you have to get closer. But, now we come to Weapons Power Surge. Since you can mount the pistol in your arm, you can use this talent on it, letting you do 1 or 2 more dice of damage in exchange for moving 1 or 2 steps down the condition track. So, you can fire a 4 or even 5d8 shot from it, in an emergency. Incidentally, you can also apply Power Surge to your mechanical fist, since it is mounted to you. :)

Lastly, you have a melee attack, your metal fist. Since you have Martial Arts I, it does 1d6 damage. But, you also have Mechanical Martial Arts, which says that when you hit an enemy with said fist, they take a -5 penalty to melee attack and damage rolls until the start of your next turn. This means that if an enemy does get in your face (and your Jedi friend should be keeping them away) you can punch them, and inflict a very bad penalty on their melee attacks against you. As a bonus, Martial Arts I raises your Reflex by one point, and that's great.

The flamethrower is also great to keep melee enemies away, especially Jedi that have Deflect but not Evasion. You can make it more devastating as explained above, with Deadeye and such. If your GM is a fool and lets you mount the flamethrower and sniper rifle in your body (he or she shouldn't) then you can apply Weapons Power Surge to them, and do insanely high damage. 8d10 sniper rifle shot will kill a lot of things.

Last note: The grenades are situational. Smoke grenades for concealment, a frag grenade for enemies behind cover, and so on.
    Last edited by Alejandro; 2012-11-05 at 02:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

The flamethrower is already mounted inside me. The grenade launcher doubles as a missile launcher, think Mira's wrist rockets. It's extra to get the ammo for that.

For the most part, I am mainly getting the lightsaber for utility purposes, as I am after a very high bounty (full completion yields 205k credits. I haveto kill the Queen Mother and eliminate the Hapan Royal Guard for full payment)

Also, by heavy repeating blaster, I mostly meant a modified carbine. Higher damage and rate of fire for suppression. The sniper rifle I will have to carry.

Any suggestions on other things to hide? I was thinking a shield generator, miniaturized secondary processor, second battery, or net launcher.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... your 'stuff' is only limited by your budget and how much your GM is letting you get away with. Do you and your GM have the Scavenger's Guide to Droids? Building weapons into a droid PC that can conceal and pop out is covered by Hidden Holster, under Droid Accessories. You can conceal a weapon that is one size category smaller than you, or smaller. That means you can't conceal a flamethrower unless you are a Large size droid, which is very uncommon. Are you?

I don't see what utility use the lightsaber is to you that a cheap fusion cutter can't do. Just buy a basic tool that's already the right size and does the same cutting job, instead of messing with a lightsaber. Besides, lightsabers are illegal/heavily restricted in many places, but fusion cutters are not.

A shield generator will not do you a lot of good unless you have build your PC to maintain and recharge it well. I wouldn't bother.

The writeup I gave you is focused on how to be extremely lethal with just a few weapons, all of which except the flamethrower can be easily taken apart or concealed in your body.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

We do not have that book, though I am going to get a pdf ASAP now.

I am only a medium sized droid, however, most weapons cost at least 6k more in order to have them modified to fit.

The flamethrower was extremely expensive.

Come to think of it, the lightsaber really isn't necessary as you mentioned. Magnetic feet are on my to-buy list, as are some way of having my finger retract to hold things. Possibly a small fusion cutter in there?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Get that book. If you are going to play a droid, you want it. A good chunk of what I suggested comes from it.

If you can afford to miniaturize the flamer, OK.

Magnetic feet are in that book, along with a slew of other attachments. A fusion cutter is a simple tool you can have on your belt.

If you are willing to not have melee options other than using the flamethrower to shoot people who close with you, then you can drop Martial Arts I and Mechanical Martial Arts and spend the feats elsewhere. However, I suggest you keep them, as the free +1 to your Reflex is very good and the -5 penalty to your enemy's melee attacks and damage on you is harsh.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Yeah, I am definately picking up mechanical martial s
    Arts. Probably going to reprogram my talents as well.
    I actually have Martial Arts 1, since it was a prerequisite for Elite Trooper (an it's just good for versatility)

So, any random suggestions for equipment upgrades to hide?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Not really. It's probably easier to kill your target at range while hiding yourself. Get good at Stealth.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Given the temperament and such of the GM, I can probably go on a search and find advanced stealth programming that would give me training in it. I have a +10 straight out since it is Dex, and I an carrying a 22.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Basically, if you use the build I suggested, you want to stay far away, use Stealth to not be spotted, and get the first shot on the best target, and do 6d10 damage to it. Then fire 4d10 shots, and if anyone gets close to you, use the flamer, heavy blaster pistol, or your fist. If you get in a tight spot, use the Weapon Surge talent and inflict some condition track damage on yourself to do bonus damage with those three.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just popping in to say, this is all looking very expensive! Make sure you have enough money for it all.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    I don't actually like many of the Elite Trooper talents in the main book, so I suggest Ambush from the Clone Wars book.
    While Ambush is great, highly highly recommended, I do want to point out that Controlled Burst is super-amazing with high-damage builds. I don't think this character wants to invest in the Burst Attack line of effectiveness, but just thought I'd mention it.

Also, seconding the advice to pick up Scavenger's Guide for all the tech in there, and also grenades! You can never underestimate how useful they are in the right situation.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Force is with you, IdleMuse!