New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Culture explores 40K II: Now With 100% more Fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Oh, I forgot to ask. The thing I have planned for the Harlequins assumes that those guys have access to future sight. They DO have access to future sight, yeah?
    Oh and how! The laughing god is hiding in the webway! Also I think there may be some misunderstanding of the webway here. It's not like a regualr road map where you can go from point A to B, it is more like "perform these actions to get here from these 7 points otherwise you end up somewhere else".

As for normallacy of the webway and gellar fields etc, the webway is structured warp energy, my understanding was that it rendered the warp similar to how it was before the rise of chaos etc, and the reason it's messed up now is because the birth of chaos ripped open it's major defences. Don't forget the webway was built by the oldones and was used for them to travel the stars.

A gellar field would most likely do nothing while necron tech i believe actually fails to function, as the hard rules of science are basically told to shut up and sit down. I do remeber reading somewhere that the necrons had to do things in realspace as the open fury of the warp basically renders the tech void. It is the reason the eldar invented D-cannons, to fight the necrons by sucking them into the warp.

EDIT: On orks and the waaaagh field: The waaagh field is an interesting thing, as the orks reach bigger and bigger critical mass the both get more brutal (for fightin') and kunning (for fightin'). I.e the grow stronger, tougher and smarter. This does mean that an ork mechanik can eventually 'kustomise/loot' anything (i wouldn't even put a mind out of reach of this) as there are canon examples of meks specifically waaaghing up various civilazations tech, such as tau drones and AI tech. (the mek overrides the drones programming by literally holding it on a chain and whacking it with a wrench, and this is a durable built drone!)

Regards
    Last edited by Lostintransit; 2012-12-12 at 07:22 AM.
    Check out the battle of the beacon, it was a massive 40k apocalypse game involving my space marine chapter!

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintransit View Post
    EDIT: On orks and the waaaagh field: The waaagh field is an interesting thing, as the orks reach bigger and bigger critical mass the both get more brutal (for fightin') and kunning (for fightin'). I.e the grow stronger, tougher and smarter. This does mean that an ork mechanik can eventually 'kustomise/loot' anything (i wouldn't even put a mind out of reach of this) as there are canon examples of meks specifically waaaghing up various civilazations tech, such as tau drones and AI tech. (the mek overrides the drones programming by literally holding it on a chain and whacking it with a wrench, and this is a durable built drone!)
    Well, yes, but no ork is going to see the inside of a Culture vessel. (and what counts as "inside" of one can be a bit fuzzy) The Culture aren't dumb enough to do that when the Orks have been noted by the IoM to be able to loot darn near anything. And the thought of letting Warp effects onto a Culture vessel? Meh, not happening ever.

You know, despite the rather strange overblown plans I have posted here (which are certainly not Culture-like), the Culture as a whole is pretty darn cautious and so far, I have had them refuse to take risks on pretty much anything. Which seems fair enough given that they consider a 1 in 92 million chance of Displacement failure to be too much risk for normal transport.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

\
    Also, I don't see why a Mind should be affected via the Ork field. I understand why humans, being warp sensitive, would be affected by the Orks, but an inorganic without Warp presence or any ability to sense the warp shouldn't notice anything at all. Minds should be basically immune to all psychic phenomena that don't affect realspace.
    (edit, this is not much different from trying to mind control a pocket calculator)
    \t.
    The Waaaugh field does affect realspace, though...that's where almost all of its effects manifest. Not just in their technomantic abilities, but the effects it has on Ork psychology and physiology. It just isn't overt like most other psychic phenomena, except for Weirdboyz. And Minds do have a physical realspace component, if I remember right, they just also exist in hyperspace, so if one was exposed to a sufficiently dense population of Orks for sufficient time, it should start becoming more Orky in response to the Orks considering it to be Orky, because it's Da Boss (transit this effect into whoever the Orks are directed to consider Da Boss, so it might be an SC Agent instead, which would be almost as much hilarity.)

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

It would not be adverse to the Culture to try helping them recover that position... provided this did not involve the killing of everything else that used to occupy Eldar worlds. And that this did not result in the complete destruction of the Necrons.
    Thing is, it quite probably does involve exactly that. Certainly the latter, but quite likely a lot of the former, too.

Also, Orks, fields and Psychological changes;
    What does the Agent have to say about being removed because he is "going native?" It seems odd to me, on a certain level, that he'd consent to being removed (jepardising the mission), because of concerns he presumably doesn't share. At least, going from previous suggestions that the Culture value personal liberty and so on above all else.

Otherwise; Simply being in the radius of the Ork's waagh field isn't necessarily enough for them to show improved functionality. Presumably, this can be hand-waved if the culture crew testing them had picked up enough Orkyness, themselves already.

As for the Orkyness rubbing off on the Mind, well. There's just no way that's possible, but that's never really been a problem for the Orks. The Ork's weird waagh field thing is up there with the warp itself in inexplicable phenomina that laugh at the rules. If you're taking it that the crew on the ship are at risk of becoming Orkier (merely by observing the Orks and becoming mentally involved in proceedings), and also hold that the Mind is a valid intelligent being, that could very much be all it takes for Big Stikk Speaks Softly to start, subtly and imperceptably, to take a different view on things.

Edit: Oh, worth noting, this should be considered seperate from the loot-anything capability of the Orks. It's still a good idea to not let Orks onboard if you're not sure they view the Mind as Da Boss, because otherwise it's red paint on the hull time and FTL Ramming speed.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-12-12 at 09:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintransit View Post
    Also I think there may be some misunderstanding of the webway here. It's not like a regualr road map where you can go from point A to B, it is more like "perform these actions to get here from these 7 points otherwise you end up somewhere else".
    I would argue that this depends. That is, sometimes the Webway is a conceptual maze, sometimes it is a physical/location maze, depending on where you are in the Webway. Also, note that Culture AI should be absurdly at home in conceptual mazes of this sort -- it's one of the easiest things to program in VR to make more interesting mazes, after all. Remember King's Quest and similar old school adventure games? I would think that a few Organics that are maze and puzzle and pattern and exploration geeks would positively beg to be put in the Webway... even if the mind is like, 'uh, to be part of the mapping project, you will need a body that thinks more quickly, and is more resilient to high-g turns and stops and such. You probably won't even be bipedal... and you probably would have to put some psychological safeguards against the horrors of the warp, based on our Grey Knight data, which you didn't agree to earlier' to which I would guess that the organics in question would be like, 'yea, I didn't agree to that before I realized that there was an absurdly awesome, infinitely complex, galaxy spanning maze to explore, one where I could maybe have parts named after me if I succeed! If that's the price to be let loose in the best maze ever? Where do I sign up?!'
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-12 at 10:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

part 8.5 Orks Finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two days later
    The SC agent has requested to be transferred back to the camp. This request has taken the form of a highly irregular aggressiveness and a revocation of permission to mind scan him.

The Orks appear to be able to discern that something is wrong with the simulacra, even though it essentially is just a proxy for the SC agent. For this reason, we believe that to not jeapordize the mission, as well as respecting his wishes (this psychological change does not appear to be Chaos contamination), Large Sticks Speak Softly will transfer him back to the camp.

A number of other crew members, seeing his success, also demanded that we allow them to transfer back to the camp. While Contact personnel occasionally assimilate into their host culture, this many is unusual. We suspect some form of covert Warp effect that is driving the psychological changes that is causing this.
    This is under consideration and simulacra are being used in the meantime. We fear that even the barrier of the simulacra will not prevent further psychological contamination but there is no alternative as the affected crew are on the brink of revolting, futilely but we are forced to bow to their wishes if we are to remain on this side of the moral line. (additional precautions have been taken - see below).

Further analysis of past mind scan history indicates that the psychological changes had begun since the original contact with the Orks. The same progression as long as contact is maintained is to be expected, therefore reloading the citizens can only jeapordize the mission for no real gain (and lose them many weeks of experiences).

Precautions taken:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Trapdoor nominally prevents all hostile actions on this ship, this Mind feels that the Warp effects render it insufficient protection.

We are currently building an large drone that will house this Mind as well as a large communications effector and a significant hyperspace drive fraction. The ship Large Sticks Speak Softly will remain as a mobile command center and personnel base. There are plans to build a habitable section on the drone if time allows, to carry any of the crew who will leave, primarily drones.

This action is being carried out by this Mind and the drones on board the ship, who apparently have been unaffected by the psychological changes. While there will be one-tenth a microsecond delay in communications from the out-system location we plan to put the drone, the organics will be mostly unaware of any changes.
    The original casing of this Mind will be left in place to not arouse suspicions.

One day later
    A strange energy signature was detected from under a void shield that was left online (presumed at the time to be in error, which is not uncommon for the orks). This energy discharge matched that of a plasma weapon of significant power.

This event was originally mistaken to be evidence of Orkish technological progression and steps were taken to move Large Sticks Speak Softly to the other side of the planet. The ground side was not shielded and effector scans of the device was taken.

It appears that someone has given the Orks a low tech plasma sidearm. While these are not military grade weapons, they are still significantly more powerful than those of the Orks. The effect of Ork modifications to the sidearm has further increased its power and range as well as significantly increasing its size. While destroying its governing protocols. Which should have been impossible at their tech level.

And that its antimatter power source was completely empty. While observations of firing without ammunition is regular, this is confirmation that ork modifications work on our technology. This is a worrying prospect.

You can see where this is going, hmm? =D

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    As for the Orkyness rubbing off on the Mind, well. There's just no way that's possible, but that's never really been a problem for the Orks.
    The thing is, when you think of the Mind, it's more like thinking of the Necrons than anything else. Really, their drones and Mind having no warp presence puts them closer to Necrons than intelligent people that just happen to not be squishy. (or more precisely, IoM cogitators, except that cogitators aren't sentient)

There's also that to the Orks, the SC agent is Da Big Boss. They don't actually know the Mind exists since the Culture thinks that the Orks won't understand what the Mind is and won't regard it as Orky enough to accept as a leader.

7. - Top - End - #1177

The thing is, when you think of the Mind, it's more like thinking of the Necrons than anything else. Really, their drones and Mind having no warp presence puts them closer to Necrons than intelligent people that just happen to not be squishy. (or more precisely, IoM cogitators, except that cogitators aren't sentient)
    There's not enough Necron/Ork fluff in canon yet for us to determine if a Necron Dynasty that wars against Orks for long periods of time will become more Orky or not.

So the phenomenon will be delayed for a while, at least...if they have to keep cycling in new SC agents because the current ones are getting too Orky, eventually there will be enough SC agents who think of the Mind as their Boss (even if they don't tell the Orks about it) to begin the conversion process (possibly without regards to range, since Culture citizens already think in terms of galactic-scale distances as perfectly normal).
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-12 at 10:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

part 8.5 Orks Finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two days later
    The SC agent has requested to be transferred back to the camp. This request has taken the form of a highly irregular aggressiveness and a revocation of permission to mind scan him.

The Orks appear to be able to discern that something is wrong with the simulacra, even though it essentially is just a proxy for the SC agent. For this reason, we believe that to not jeapordize the mission, as well as respecting his wishes (this psychological change does not appear to be Chaos contamination), Large Sticks Speak Softly will transfer him back to the camp.

A number of other crew members, seeing his success, also demanded that we allow them to transfer back to the camp. While Contact personnel occasionally assimilate into their host culture, this many is unusual. We suspect some form of covert Warp effect that is driving the psychological changes that is causing this.
    This is under consideration and simulacra are being used in the meantime. We fear that even the barrier of the simulacra will not prevent further psychological contamination but there is no alternative as the affected crew are on the brink of revolting, futilely but we are forced to bow to their wishes if we are to remain on this side of the moral line. (additional precautions have been taken - see below).

Further analysis of past mind scan history indicates that the psychological changes had begun since the original contact with the Orks. The same progression as long as contact is maintained is to be expected, therefore reloading the citizens can only jeapordize the mission for no real gain (and lose them many weeks of experiences).

Precautions taken:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Trapdoor nominally prevents all hostile actions on this ship, this Mind feels that the Warp effects render it insufficient protection.

We are currently building an large drone that will house this Mind as well as a large communications effector and a significant hyperspace drive fraction. The ship Large Sticks Speak Softly will remain as a mobile command center and personnel base. There are plans to build a habitable section on the drone if time allows, to carry any of the crew who will leave, primarily drones.

This action is being carried out by this Mind and the drones on board the ship, who apparently have been unaffected by the psychological changes. While there will be one-tenth a microsecond delay in communications from the out-system location we plan to put the drone, the organics will be mostly unaware of any changes.
    The original casing of this Mind will be left in place to not arouse suspicions.

One day later
    A strange energy signature was detected from under a void shield that was left online (presumed at the time to be in error, which is not uncommon for the orks). This energy discharge matched that of a plasma weapon of significant power.

This event was originally mistaken to be evidence of Orkish technological progression and steps were taken to move Large Sticks Speak Softly to the other side of the planet. The ground side was not shielded and effector scans of the device was taken.

It appears that someone has given the Orks a low tech plasma sidearm. While these are not military grade weapons, they are still significantly more powerful than those of the Orks. The effect of Ork modifications to the sidearm has further increased its power and range as well as significantly increasing its size. While destroying its governing protocols. Which should have been impossible at their tech level.

And that its antimatter power source was completely empty. While observations of firing without ammunition is regular, this is confirmation that ork modifications work on our technology. This is a worrying prospect.

You can see where this is going, hmm? =D

There's also that to the Orks, the SC agent is Da Big Boss. They don't actually know the Mind exists since the Culture thinks that the Orks won't understand what the Mind is and won't regard it as Orky enough to accept as a leader.

So, as I understand it, the lack of a warp signiture should protect a Mind from, say, the direct predations of chaos and a lot of (but not all) psychic shenanigans. However, I'm not sure being like a necron would be any real barrier to the whole orkiness rubbing off thing, if we're assuming that such a thing takes place at all. I don't think the orks being aware of it are necessarily important, personally. It's the same effect from the other point of view, their psychology and their nature being essentially fundamentally more than a little attractive in it's own right and warpy weirdness piggybacking on that.

The fact the Orks don't regard the Mind as a thing mostly just means it's personally less safe. If it established itself as Da Boss, then they'd fall in line. As it hasn't, the chances of the Mind being looted ironically go up.

Especially if the SC Agent has a chip on his shoulder. Literally, there's a possibility that the SC Agent and others who have gone down to the Orks blagging their way back on board and looting the ship themselves. It's not a large chance, though, because they are still fundamentally the same person. (Yarrick for example is still loyal to the Imperium, still fights against Orks rather than with them, and so on).

9. - Top - End - #1179

They wouldn't 'loot' it, but they might try to give it 'upgrades', which would amount to the same functional outcome.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

RE Eldar:
    Been thinking them over. Apart from the general "we don't care about other races", the Eldar civilization pre-Fall appears to be mostly agreeable and very much Happy Fun Times all round.
    It would not be adverse to the Culture to try helping them recover that position... provided this did not involve the killing of everything else that used to occupy Eldar worlds. And that this did not result in the complete destruction of the Necrons.

It's not like the Culture don't understand a superiority complex since its arguable that they have one too.

Dark Eldar:
    Come to think of it, some of their materials are noted to be wraithbone or similar Warp stuff. That's um... weird. Coz they aren't psychic. How do they make those things?

But Dark Eldar do use normal materials at least.
    Pretty much. You'd have to get them to give up their Maiden worlds but I think they might just take that deal. (They're proud. Not stupid.)

Dark Eldar likely just steal it from regular Eldar, use regular Eldar slaves to build it, or loot it from old Eldar ruins.

On Orks: Becoming more Orky can be more subtle and it doesn't happen as much if you are just killing them. Which is part of the reason why Necrons aren't effected. It's only when you start to try and understand and think like an Ork that it happens. And yeah it doesn't rewrite your personality but just tweaks it to be more Orky. Like a greater appreciation for the Orks and increased aggression, but you won't become some psycho bent on killing everything not green (unless you were already some sort of psycho.)
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Kobold

RE Eldar:
    Been thinking them over. Apart from the general "we don't care about other races", the Eldar civilization pre-Fall appears to be mostly agreeable and very much Happy Fun Times all round.

It's not like the Culture don't understand a superiority complex since its arguable that they have one too.

Dark Eldar:
    Come to think of it, some of their materials are noted to be wraithbone or similar Warp stuff. That's um... weird. Coz they aren't psychic. How do they make those things?

But Dark Eldar do use normal materials at least.
    Hmm... as far as the first one... but that would take, uh, pretty much killing Slaanesh AND calming the Warp, wouldn't it?? And making the Eldar the dominant technological force in the galaxy, what with their ability to planet crack and pretty much infinite access to energy, and huge gigantic empire that dominated everyone else...

As far as the second, I suppose they enslave normal Eldar? Iunno...

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Like a greater appreciation for the Orks and increased aggression, but you won't become some psycho bent on killing everything not green (unless you were already some sort of psycho.)
    Increased aggression can be obvious depending on the original personality. See the fanfic regarding the wimpy techpriest.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

Increased aggression can be obvious depending on the original personality. See the fanfic regarding the wimpy techpriest.
    But did the Wimpy Techpriest change because lol Ork magic, or because the advice he got was brutal yet cunning crude but effective?

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Where is the link to that fan fic?
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

15. - Top - End - #1185

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsage Matt View Post
    Where is the link to that fan fic?
    http://www.incunabulum.co.uk/Warboss.htm

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Whether he changed because of advice or ork magic is unknown, but the fic does introduce the idea of orks changing others around them.
    Last edited by jseah; 2012-12-12 at 10:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

Sure. The Ork changed him. The subtlety is that it's not necessarily certain that it's purely an Orky Waagh Field thing. Equally you see, the SC Agent might be able to clearly and concisely, convincingly even explain his new outlook.

And can the mind automatically say, with certainty, that it is invalid?

18. - Top - End - #1188

Kobold

A note, that fic is a fantasy set in 40k -- the ork changing like that to be like an ogryn wouldn't happen, but the story overall does show the theme of orks changing those around them very, very well.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Sure. The Ork changed him. The subtlety is that it's not necessarily certain that it's purely an Orky Waagh Field thing. Equally you see, the SC Agent might be able to clearly and concisely, convincingly even explain his new outlook.

And can the mind automatically say, with certainty, that it is invalid?
    Well, yes, it's just that with the whole Chaos doing a similar thing (I know, it's NOT similar, but the Culture understand virtually nothing about this), the Mind just pulled them off the planet as a reaction.
    It did put them back afterwards though. As well as starting rather more... drastic preparations.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Kobold

So... how are they doing at getting the various planets and bases and systems in the Ultramar area of space scanned, eh Jseah?
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-13 at 12:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    So... how are they doing at getting the various planets and bases and systems in the Ultramar area of space scanned, eh Jseah?
    Didn't I do Tau already? Uh... let me check
    Last edited by jseah; 2012-12-13 at 01:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1192

Kobold

Didn't I do Tau already? Uh... let me check <- Watch this space for edits.
    Well...

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ultramar
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Talasa_Prime
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Macragge
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Konor

The Ultramar region of space has some very, very interesting worlds. Talasa Prime, THE deathwatch base (which is also a major, major Ordo Xenos base) -- which should, if scanned, increase the Culture's knowledge of xenos races manyfold. It is also a likely place where you will find very Radical Inquisitors of a local equivalent of Xenos Hybris (with a different name of course; Xenos Hybris is the Calixis/Koronus version), who might also be Recongragators, due to the local situation. Macragge, where a Primarch lies, where anyone who seems to be a normal Imperial citizen can make a pilgrimage to look at him (and which might help the Culture come to the conclusion that a Stasis Field seems to stop time, in some ways... and there is a lot about biology of a primarch that someone can understand by subtly scanning and looking at a near-death Primarch in stasis). Konor, a would-be-minor research world for the Mechanicus where, no doubt, the Ordo Xenos keeps a close watch on the Imperial attempts at reverse-engineering Xenos technology recovered by the Deathwatch (so the Culture can see the patterns of how the Imperium tries to reverse engineer tech, how they go about it -- if any place is a place where that is done, it is Konor, due to what it is next to, and the fact that the Mechanicum does not have a major presence in the area and can be bossed around here).

Also, isn't that not a Tau update, but an Ultramarines/Imperium/Inquisition update?
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-13 at 01:00 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1193

Kobold

And the fact that the Ultramarines are dominant in this area, which can be peaceful (sometimes) with non-Imperials. But mostly, the most fruitful long term possibilities are the radical parts of the Ordos Xenos which are likely in the area..

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, that. Thing is, the Culture has exactly 3 ships in the area. GSV, GCU and ROU. So far, two of them are hanging out at Bork'An playing word games with the Water caste, and one of them is a lightyear and a half away from Macragge talking to the Ultramarines... and that's the ROU who has no crew.

So I suppose the Culture are aware that the SM base houses some important religious artifact, and that its stasis-fielded, but apart from that, there's not very much. The ROU's mission is more diplomatic than anything else, they're still trying to get the Ultramarines to talk to the Tau.

25. - Top - End - #1195

Kobold

Ah, that.
    So... it will happen when they realize, 'We should maybe get back to that exponential shipbuilding thing in this area of space'

Maybe the Tau want to know more about their construction capabilities, and that is the impetus to do increased construction? The Tau do use automated construction and construction drones and artificial intelligence and even nanotech constructors, but they are all primitive compared to The Culture's. It's the same basic technological path, just at a lower level of technology. And I am sure that the industrial base and extra manpower can probably help, too -- the Tau would want to show that they are valuable and useful to these very high tech foreigners! Thoughts?

...Okay. That was probably hopelessly optimistic, because I really want to see this update... but I suppose other things can (and will!) happen first...
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-13 at 01:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Troll in the Playground

-- the Tau would want to show that they are valuable and useful to these very high tech foreigners! Thoughts?
    Hrmm... I don't know about useful, but...

Now that I think about it, the Tau would want to demonstrate just how great the Etherials are to the Culture, in whatever way they can find, because showing off how awesome the Tau Empire is is their primary way of getting new worlds to join them peacefully. How best to do this? Solve the problem the Culture can't. Beat Chaos, once and for all, now that they know it exists.

Who wants to bet that the Tau immediately turn their research efforts to breeding psychic potential out of their human subjects and/or developing a brainwashing regime that makes Chaos corruption impossible? "You want to wipe out Chaos? All you have to do is help us take over the galaxy. We'll do the rest, and we'll put an end to the barbarism of those who don't follow the Tau'va and spread enlightenment throughout the stars..."
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    "You want to wipe out Chaos? All you have to do is help us take over the galaxy. We'll do the rest, and we'll put an end to the barbarism of those who don't follow the Tau'va and spread enlightenment throughout the stars..."
    I don't think the Tau would be quite so overt -- but as soon as they realize how powerful The Culture is against all the other major foes of the Tau, they would be quite interested in figuring out a way that they can be fantastically valuable to The Culture, but only if The Culture helps them as well... still, the particular methods you say don't quite jive with me.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

A note, that fic is a fantasy set in 40k -- the ork changing like that to be like an ogryn wouldn't happen, but the story overall does show the theme of orks changing those around them very, very well.
    It also suggests the idea of orks becoming more subservient and changing to their boss, aka the most dominant personality around them. Usually when their boss is an ork, they become more ork-y and their boss gets even bigger (the Emperor once faced an ork so massive, it took him and Horus to bring it down). Even the lesser orks get bigger and stronger, especially when one of them gets the idea of making a leadership challenge.

When their boss is human, the suggestion is that you end up with an almost ogryn like ork and a very ork-y human. I wonder what effect a Mind would have on an ork?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-12-13 at 06:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Troll in the Playground

I know this has no place in the debate -- but I wandered in here, followed that link, read the story, and actually enjoyed it. Is my Orkiness showing?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

part 8.5 IoM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Week 1
    We are looking at further cooperation with the IoM inquisition as the information given to them about Chaos cults appears to be effective at limiting Chaos presence in IoM space. Nevertheless, we are still wary about provoking further IoM aggression, so maximum stealth and avoidance of psykers will be required.

Additionally, multiple conflicts between the IoM and the Eldar have been noted, especially the Ork threat has been partially reduced for some areas of Segmentum Solar and that the Tyranid threat approaching from below the galactic plane is rapidly being neutralized.

We are considering asking for volunteers to aid the investigations in the region of Ultramar.

part 8.5 Macragge
    Spoiler
    Show
    Week 3
    Despite the weaker xenophobia of the Ultramarines, negotiation is still difficult. We appear unable to glean any useful long term agreements from them, even regarding the Tau. There has been no progress in asking them to avoid destroying Necron Tomb worlds.

Also, this ROU would like to report some interesting information regarding Macragge itself. The religious icon that has been noted last week was infiltrated by nanobots today and it appears to be a past leader that has been trapped in a stasis field to prevent his death from poison. Going by their history and records, this leader may greatly enhance the efficiency of the IoM. Although his recorded political stances are not great for our diplomatic goals, the increased robustness of the IoM that might result from his recovery would allow us more drastic actions that are currently curtailed due to fear of destabilizing the IoM.
    We should look into investigating this poison and see if we can find samples of it. There may be a cure...