Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 65
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    As the tital indicates, I'm trying to figure out how to play a womanizer npc(he's a male nymph, so it seems appropriate), without coming across as a pervert.
    he's intended as a foil for the PC who often uses a "I seduce him!" strategy for capturing people.(though, to be fair, she is playing a succubus).
    I could also do with advice for GMing for encounters in which she does seduce men, since it gets a bit awkward for me, and I'm also somewhat nervous about violating the forum rules(It's a pbp here)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sawagakure: Village Hidden by the Valley Marsh
    OOC: I, IC: Team 1(I), Team 2(I)
    Lereth: Stormport
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Verden
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Homebrewer's Link(+PBP)
    Member of;

    Ninja by Grinner

    PM box is now clear(ish), so sending them should work now =3

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Amphetryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    As the tital indicates, I'm trying to figure out how to play a womanizer npc(he's a male nymph, so it seems appropriate), without coming across as a pervert.
    he's intended as a foil for the PC who often uses a "I seduce him!" strategy for capturing people.(though, to be fair, she is playing a succubus).
    I could also do with advice for GMing for encounters in which she does seduce men, since it gets a bit awkward for me, and I'm also somewhat nervous about violating the forum rules(It's a pbp here)
    Have him be bad at it. Give him a low CHA and no ranks in Sense Motive, and he'll play more like comic relief than skeeze.
    Star Metallurgist of the Roy Fanclub

    Who made my awesome Dwarf Hexblade avatar, you ask? BRC did!
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Have you ever watched Burn Notice? If so, pay close attention to Sam Axe and take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    rezplz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    I did this once to a pretty good effect. The key is to not flanderize it. Have him be a womanizer, but at the same time that can't be his only defining characteristic. Don't have every conversation with a woman turn into baseless hitting on her. Just have it come up every now and then, and every now and then have him be dismissive of a woman. Or for example, if a female offers up a fairly good idea, even if he doesn't dismiss it entirely have him kind of grudgingly accept it.

    tl;dr: Just don't go too crazy with it. That's how I did it. My group loved the character enough to make him the group's memetic badass.
    Last edited by rezplz; 2012-11-01 at 08:17 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Make him a romantic rather than a skeevy perv? He still hits on every woman in sight, but does it with flowery language, impromptu poetry, and spontaneous gifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elsewhen
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    1. Romantic as Glyphstone said

    2. He only goes after girls who seem to like the attention. That's the real difference between a womanizer and a creep. That and attractiveness (i.e. Edward Complex).
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2012-11-01 at 08:47 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Dr.Epic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Have him be bad at it. Give him a low CHA and no ranks in Sense Motive, and he'll play more like comic relief than skeeze.
    Two words: Zapp Brannigan
    I have a PhD....in epicness
    Awesome Dr.Horrible Avatar by DemonZypher.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Ty all for the help with him, the advice so far will really help with rping him(I'll have him go with being a romantic, since it seems like it will fit better, as glyphstone suggested).
    Also how does making him an uncommon race sound?, currently I was thinking of making him either a male nymph, or a male succubus, or a fairie(homebrewed race, they are 3 foot tall elf like humanoids with moth wings).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sawagakure: Village Hidden by the Valley Marsh
    OOC: I, IC: Team 1(I), Team 2(I)
    Lereth: Stormport
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Verden
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Homebrewer's Link(+PBP)
    Member of;

    Ninja by Grinner

    PM box is now clear(ish), so sending them should work now =3

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mando Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Have him be bad at it. Give him a low CHA and no ranks in Sense Motive, and he'll play more like comic relief than skeeze.
    Those are not mutually exclusive. There's comically bad, and there's disturbingly bad, and the line between the two varies fairly strongly from person to person.
    Avatar by Mr. Saturn

    Magic... magic never changes

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Watch How I Met Your Mother, and take notes on what Barney does.

    Mechanically speaking, flirting is just a series of Cha vs Cha checks, or Bluff vs Sense Motive checks, depending on what specifically is being done (general flirting vs 'want to go to my place?')
    Zahhak's guide to PC generation: Anything worth doing is worth doing serious and unneeded research into.

    Zahhak, the Enviromancer.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Zahhak View Post
    Mechanically speaking, flirting is just a series of Cha vs Cha checks, or Bluff vs Sense Motive checks, depending on what specifically is being done (general flirting vs 'want to go to my place?')
    I lean toward Bluff vs. Sense Motive. BoEF specifies that success only means the target is sexually interested, not that s/he is compelled to bang the Bluffer, or do anything else. For social interaction, you could rule that success raises the target's attitude toward you one step, to a maximum of Helpful.


    (Why does "Bang The Bluffer" sound like it could be some kind of demented/perverse game?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    By level 20 though, you aren't capturing a wizard. A character lives to level 20 by being the most ruthless, lucky, capable, and paranoid bastard around. A wizard is throwing around a 30+ Int score and has, entirely in character, planned contingencies for his contingencies. He may well be running around with flat out total immunity to harm, he does not walk outside without an entire bevy of defensive magics around him and enough magic items to buy himself a nation.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MarsRendac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    (Why does "Bang The Bluffer" sound like it could be some kind of demented/perverse game?)
    Because it could be, and now that you've mentioned it, it will be.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Arbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Ty all for the help with him, the advice so far will really help with rping him(I'll have him go with being a romantic, since it seems like it will fit better, as glyphstone suggested).
    Also how does making him an uncommon race sound?, currently I was thinking of making him either a male nymph, or a male succubus, or a fairie(homebrewed race, they are 3 foot tall elf like humanoids with moth wings).
    Play a human. All those half-whatevers have to come from SOMEWHERE.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    I may actually go with a human. It also give me an idea for a possibly humorous plot if the succubus pc ends up seducing him, where she finds out she might end up with only a "half-hellspawn" child.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sawagakure: Village Hidden by the Valley Marsh
    OOC: I, IC: Team 1(I), Team 2(I)
    Lereth: Stormport
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Verden
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Homebrewer's Link(+PBP)
    Member of;

    Ninja by Grinner

    PM box is now clear(ish), so sending them should work now =3

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Play a human. All those half-whatevers have to come from SOMEWHERE.
    Dragon could work too. You thought Humans got around? Dragons will literally knock up any living, corporeal creature (talk about low standards. Yuck). And the baby will have +8 more Strength than a purebreed and breathe fire.


    Actually, the stat-boosts and special abilities might be the reason so many creatures bear half-dragon offspring: to make sure their kids are objectively superior to all the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    By level 20 though, you aren't capturing a wizard. A character lives to level 20 by being the most ruthless, lucky, capable, and paranoid bastard around. A wizard is throwing around a 30+ Int score and has, entirely in character, planned contingencies for his contingencies. He may well be running around with flat out total immunity to harm, he does not walk outside without an entire bevy of defensive magics around him and enough magic items to buy himself a nation.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Dragon could work too. You thought Humans got around? Dragons will literally knock up any living, corporeal creature (talk about low standards. Yuck). And the baby will have +8 more Strength than a purebreed and breathe fire.


    Actually, the stat-boosts and special abilities might be the reason so many creatures bear half-dragon offspring: to make sure their kids are objectively superior to all the others.
    Oozes are both Living and Corporeal, and are a legitimate subject for the Half-Dragon template. They lack reproductive organs, or for that matter, organs of any kind. Ponder these facts.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-02 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MarsRendac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Oozes are both Living and Corporeal, and are a legitimate subject for the Half-Dragon template. They lack reproductive organs, or for that matter, organs of any kind. Ponder these facts.
    Thoughts like this may be the reason you're the eldritch horror in the playground. Now excuse me for a second while I make the villain for my next campaign.

    He's a black pudding!

    He's a black dragon!

    He does it all

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Medic!'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chanute, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    a Test Tube Wyrmling
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

    Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    A womanizer is not a pervert. In fact, most identifiable perverts make really really bad womanizers.
    I don't expect you to agree with what I say, but at least defend to the death my right to say it!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Now I am trying to imagine some kind of Zapp Brannigan/Barney Stintson/Sam Axe hybrid.
    Due to Unforeseen Circumstances, I am on an erratic schedule.

    I will resume posting within a couple of days and will be trying to get some things moving again.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Craft (Cheese)'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Really, I think the main difference is just being subtle.

    Womanizer: "By the gods, you're looking beautiful tonight, my lady."

    Pervert: "LET ME SQUEEZE YOUR BOOBIES."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Serpentine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adrift in a sea of woe.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    What exactly do you mean by "womanizer"? What is your goal with this character?
    I have one character who is the son of a celestial equivalent to a succubus. He is madly in love with the concept of love. Of every sort of love: romantic, sexual, familial, platonic, the lot. He has a lot of dalliances, hook-ups and flings. And every single one of those women, every last one, he was madly in love with her. And he was always completely honest, and he bore his heart to them. He's a poet, a Casanova, a lover in every sense of the word. He's a flatterer and a sweet-talker, but never a "perv".

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elsewhen
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Print out a long list of Zapp Brannigan and Barney Stinsen quotes and just bust one of those out when the situation calls for it.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crazyfailure13's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Im all for the romantic as well, a womanizer is a romantic basically, he treats the girls hes trying to get well and makes them feel nice, the only difference is the likely hood of an std in fantasy world, and when they wake up before the woman they plot their only deaths. Add being an inccubus to it, and it could be kinda funny.
    Call me Crazy

    To everyone who was in a PbP game with me
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry for dissappearing poverty took its toll on my Internet access and electricity.


    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Socratov's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Below sea level
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    well, another thing coudl be that he's actually courteous. He is well mannered, well spoken, well groomed, (has high CHA), and sometimes he makes a well crafted innuendo (not the "if you know what you mean kind", but the "you're not a fan of Freud, are you?" kind). he looks characters he knows can't resist and hypnotizes them with his stunning. he does nto need bluff as he lives by Diplomacy. he doesn't tell lies, he would rather conceal the complete truth. he promises girls the world, the life of a princess, the man of their dreams, a god to pray to. he is attraction incarnate, but never, ever vulgar.

    Debater of the Tyrion Lannister fanclub

    “The gods help those who help themselves, and my word, didn't I help myself.” - Avatar by the awesome Grinner

    Old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    Original Tyrion by Smuchmuch:



    Pony Tyrion by Elemental:


  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    IMO, the difference you're looking for in this case is respect. A womanizer will love to talk to and impress women, but he'll show them respect, care and attention while doing it.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    CarpeGuitarrem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    IMO, the difference you're looking for in this case is respect. A womanizer will love to talk to and impress women, but he'll show them respect, care and attention while doing it.
    To also add on...it would seem...

    A womanizer directs his attentions towards the lady.

    A perv directs his attentions towards select bits of the woman's anatomy.
    Ludicrus Gaming | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    A womanizer gets laid.

    A pervert does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    By level 20 though, you aren't capturing a wizard. A character lives to level 20 by being the most ruthless, lucky, capable, and paranoid bastard around. A wizard is throwing around a 30+ Int score and has, entirely in character, planned contingencies for his contingencies. He may well be running around with flat out total immunity to harm, he does not walk outside without an entire bevy of defensive magics around him and enough magic items to buy himself a nation.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Megaduck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    To also add on...it would seem...

    A womanizer directs his attentions towards the lady.

    A perv directs his attentions towards select bits of the woman's anatomy.
    I'm not sure I can add much to this line but I think it's correct.

    A perv just wants to have sex. The woman are just fleshy toys as far as he is concerned.

    The womanizer genuinely cares about the woman he's with. He wants them to be relaxed and happy and cares for their well being. (I sense plot hook)

    The perv is playing single player, the womanizer is playing Co-op.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: How to roleplay a womanizer without rping a perv

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Print out a long list of Zapp Brannigan and Barney Stinsen quotes and just bust one of those out when the situation calls for it.
    Or the lyrics to Weird Al's "Wanna B Ur Lover".
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •