New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: World of Warcraft XIV: Fish Felreed, and the Reed Pond fish

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    So wait, you complain about things not being challenging enough while ignoring the challenging segment of the content?

How does that even make sense. If you want challenge, then go do the bleeding edge of content. Leveling a character to 50 is doable by a 6 year old, yes. The problem isn't that that is possible, but that you see it as a problem to begin with. Why shouldn't the most basic form of play not be available to children?

If your 6 year old niece were out downing Heroic Sha and completing the tier 14 meta achieve, then yes I'd agree we have a problem. As it is, WoW offers a solid array of content for people of every skill level. That isn't watering down the game, it's broadening it, making it more accessible. Given your described playstyle, if they had maintained all of the things you have argued against, and kept the very elitist mentality of early MMOs, I highly doubt you would still be playing, regardless of what you say.

Its not all about endgame content. Every part of the game has been made easier and easier and easier until you almost have to TRY in order to get killed while leveling up. Heroic 5 mans arent end game content, my complaints then were mainly centered around tbc. Thats when I got the most ticked off. They added in this new idea, heroic versions of the 5 man dungeons. It was awesome! Same dungeon, with harder fights, and better loot. And for awhile it was glorious! It was tough, but not mind bendingly so. You didnt have to have guild groups to clear it, any 5 random schmucks with a basic grasp of how their character works could handle them with a bit of effort.

And yet it wasnt easy enough for some people. They wanted to be able to stomp through the heroic content as easily as they did the normal. They whined and whined and whined and eventually blizzard caved and nerfed the hell out of dungeons like heroic SLabs. It became a theme. They added new dungeons. The high end raiders stomped all over it in short order, then the half dozen or so other raid guilds beat it, then they nerfed it so everyone else could run it with minimal issues. The game is being reduced to "press button, receive loot"

Another example is the cata expansion. Suddenly the classes got revamped and leveling up became so easy as to be almost pointless. My warrior could now run into a crowd of 5 yellow cons and end the battle at full health. All the other classes got similar boosts to raw power. I am waiting for them to finally just patch in an auto level button. Or let us reroll as any class we want once we get one to max level and start it off with a full set of greens at max level, or maybe an expansion behind the end game. They might as well, its so easy to level up as to have no meaning. There is no challenge in the game preheroics so why bother making us waste our time?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #272

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And yet it wasnt easy enough for some people. They wanted to be able to stomp through the heroic content as easily as they did the normal. They whined and whined and whined and eventually blizzard caved and nerfed the hell out of dungeons like heroic SLabs. It became a theme. They added new dungeons. The high end raiders stomped all over it in short order, then the half dozen or so other raid guilds beat it, then they nerfed it so everyone else could run it with minimal issues.
    Fellow, I have a great deal more sympathy for your position than most people here. That said, what are you talking about? The first patch to nerf Heroic Shadow Labyrinth, or heroic dungeons in general, was patch 3.0--the "this stuff is all obsolete now, start focusing on Wrath of the Lich King" patch. They added one (1) dungeon between BC's release and WotLK's release, Magister's Terrace, known for being murderously hard even on Normal mode.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Its not all about endgame content. Every part of the game has been made easier and easier and easier until you almost have to TRY in order to get killed while leveling up. Heroic 5 mans arent end game content, my complaints then were mainly centered around tbc. Thats when I got the most ticked off. They added in this new idea, heroic versions of the 5 man dungeons. It was awesome! Same dungeon, with harder fights, and better loot. And for awhile it was glorious! It was tough, but not mind bendingly so. You didnt have to have guild groups to clear it, any 5 random schmucks with a basic grasp of how their character works could handle them with a bit of effort.

And yet it wasnt easy enough for some people. They wanted to be able to stomp through the heroic content as easily as they did the normal. They whined and whined and whined and eventually blizzard caved and nerfed the hell out of dungeons like heroic SLabs. It became a theme. They added new dungeons. The high end raiders stomped all over it in short order, then the half dozen or so other raid guilds beat it, then they nerfed it so everyone else could run it with minimal issues. The game is being reduced to "press button, receive loot"

Another example is the cata expansion. Suddenly the classes got revamped and leveling up became so easy as to be almost pointless. My warrior could now run into a crowd of 5 yellow cons and end the battle at full health. All the other classes got similar boosts to raw power. I am waiting for them to finally just patch in an auto level button. Or let us reroll as any class we want once we get one to max level and start it off with a full set of greens at max level, or maybe an expansion behind the end game. They might as well, its so easy to level up as to have no meaning. There is no challenge in the game preheroics so why bother making us waste our time?
    As you point out. Heroics aren't endgame content. They are what people do to gear up for endgame content. Go try doing a heroic mode raid. Or even try getting a gold time on a challenge mode 5-man right now. Hell, even try and go beat your way through the Brawler's Guild.

Basically right now what you are doing is playing through the easy content that is made for everyone, and complaining it's too easy, while ignoring that there is a whole slew of hard content out there for people who want more of a challenge. If you refuse to actually look at the challenging content saying "That's not the whole game", I've got news for you, you're right! It's not the whole game. The entire game is not meant to be one long slog of challenging content. People pick and choose how they want to play the game. Because most people don't want to have to grind for 10 hours per week just to prepare for raid time. They don't want to have a difficult time leveling up through the early levels they've gone through a half dozen times already (and as you get closer to current content, the leveling becomes more challenging. It's still easy, but you can hand the computer over to a 6 year old and they will die repeatedly, therefore meeting your arbitrary standard. It also takes significantly longer. The last 10 levels of the grind takes about as long as the first 60 combined. And that's fine. Newer content is more relevant and should be where the focus of the game is.)
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Every part of the game has been made easier and easier and easier until you almost have to TRY in order to get killed while leveling up.
    So try! Go fight orange mobs, or pull bigger packs! There's ways to regain the challenge for yourself. Seek them.

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    So try! Go fight orange mobs, or pull bigger packs! There's ways to regain the challenge for yourself. Seek them.
    Heh, I already do stuff like that, and seerow, I think its obvious that we just dont agree on this so ill just leave it at this. I know there is harder content at the end game. I acknowledge that fully. My problem is the rest of the game has been made way too easy. There is no challenge to the game outside of this end game stuff. I dont mean worthless time sinks like grinding for potion ingredients so you can raid fully buffed or whatever. I mean fights you actually have to pay attention to. Im not suggesting that everything above green needs to be a life or death struggle for survival, I just want there to be an actual chance of death besides somehow getting a half dozen extra mobs to show up you didnt plan on. Or a fel reaver sneaking up on you. I want to have a reason to pay attention while I play from level 1 to end game raiding and everything in between. Right now it feels like I have put in the god mode cheat in a game. And doing that always ruins the fun for me.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #276

@Traab
    TL;DR
    Complains the game is too easy.
    Doesn't touch any of the challenging content.

Yeup. Hoo kay.
    I'ma just going to move along, because otherwise this conversation will get needlessly derogatory. Enjoy your opinion of something you know nothing about. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go argue with NASA about how manned missions are cheap and simple to execute, and not the least bit dangerous, and they should stop wussing out.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-12-15 at 01:04 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

7. - Top - End - #277

Heh, I already do stuff like that, and seerow, I think its obvious that we just dont agree on this so ill just leave it at this. I know there is harder content at the end game. I acknowledge that fully. My problem is the rest of the game has been made way too easy. There is no challenge to the game outside of this end game stuff.
    And why should the beginning of the game be very difficult? How many players would stick around if their very first experiences with the game were dying and having to run back to their body repeatedly? And yes, everything up until you hit the endgame is "the beginning of the game".

I think the problem is more with your mindset than WoW's design philosophy. You seem to think that leveling should be a challenge in its own right. That is not the case in WoW, and because of that you claim the game as a whole is too easy. What you miss is that the real progression isn't the number beside your name saying what level you are, but rather what content you work on once you hit the endgame. Nothing before that is too difficult, and there is no reason for it to be. You may call leveling when it is easy a waste of time, but for the majority of people I know, its their main interest in the game explicitly because they -don't- want difficult content. And the people who do want difficult content? They consider the level grind just part of the price of entrance to the real game, something to blow through then ignore from that point on.

WoW's current design lets them have their cake and eat it too. You want a system that regresses to a state that appeals to an extreme minority simply because you feel things have gotten too dumbed down and easy while ignoring everything that has been put into the game to appease people who want challenging content.

And really, the biggest complaint you have (mounts becoming faster/cheaper) isn't even something that makes the game easier. It just makes it less annoying. Oh my god you don't have to waste a half hour running, and can instead fly there in 5 minutes! I fail to see how that made leveling any easier, unless you are defining ease in terms of speed of leveling... in which case have you gone past 85? It's a 30+ hour grind to get from 85 to 90, even with the fastest mounts available.

8. - Top - End - #278

What a perfect little raid night. We managed to drop Will of the Emperors in 3 pulls. And cleared out our 2 bosses we have down in Heart of Fear. Sunday we will probably tackle the Mighty Garalon, if people show up.
    I was going to stream our progression tonight, but the cold I've been fighting for the last week still had me sniffling and snorting, which just sounds worse with a microphone.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    What a perfect little raid night. We managed to drop Will of the Emperors in 3 pulls. And cleared out our 2 bosses we have down in Heart of Fear. Sunday we will probably tackle the Mighty Garalon, if people show up.
    I was going to stream our progression tonight, but the cold I've been fighting for the last week still had me sniffling and snorting, which just sounds worse with a microphone.
    Thanks.

About your Raid: little advice for Garalon. If you think you run into enrage to often let one healer take the pheromones in the executionphase. It helped us in the beginning. Our Tactic was Sub-Rogue and MonkTank/GuardianDruid in front and 2h-Fury-Warri in the back of the boss... I for my part now know that I made some bad talentchoices in those fights and... well I have to see how this works out in 25-man. From monday on we will advertise as our HP isn't ready yet and well the Guild's still level 1...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    Thanks.

About your Raid: little advice for Garalon. If you think you run into enrage to often let one healer take the pheromones in the executionphase. It helped us in the beginning. Our Tactic was Sub-Rogue and MonkTank/GuardianDruid in front and 2h-Fury-Warri in the back of the boss... I for my part now know that I made some bad talentchoices in those fights and... well I have to see how this works out in 25-man. From monday on we will advertise as our HP isn't ready yet and well the Guild's still level 1...
    Other piece of advice: If you run any warriors, suggest they spec into Stormbolt instead of Bloodbath. Normally Stormbolt is a garbage ability because bloodbath is far better for sustained, but if your guild's overall dps is high enough to have a chance at dropping Garalon, the legs will be dropping too fast to get the full bloodbath effect. Meanwhile stormbolt is a single instant burst of damage on a 30 second cooldown, which is very effective in this particular scenario.

11. - Top - End - #281

Well, I think we plan on having both healers take Pheromones from the get go. I'll find out on Sunday I guess.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, I think we plan on having both healers take Pheromones from the get go. I'll find out on Sunday I guess.
    More craziness with Garalon... We had one night where we were missing our druid off-tank, so we had our ret paladin go prot for Heart of Fear. We hit the enrage, noticed his DPS, and had him tank the next pull in ret spec and gear. Getting extra heals to make up for it.

Because, technically, you don't NEED two tanks, you just need two poor saps eating the furious swipe. Of course, high armor folks with absorbs and self-healing will do better, but...

My guild was stuck on Garalon a bit... and Wind Lord surprisingly long (seriously, how hard is it not to detonate the Wind Bombs??). Hopefully Amber-Shaper goes down Monday. We got in one pull and it looked like the people weren't getting burned down fast enough.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Well what can I say... acute is now semi-online.

Monday we will air Advertisement and such stuff and... well we tried out 25-man in a random raid. Our Warlock was there with his Boomkin-twink, our Rogue with his Holy-priest twink and well Mage, Shadow (me) and Resto-Shaman + the now finally coming to raid second Holy Priest. We have now about 8 or 10 persons and found some quite nice guys that were rather good. Sadly we only managed to get just before elegon and then just had to stop due to time...
    The wipes were most of the times either losing too many dd's and the only boss we killed firsttry was Feng... he finally had my off-hand.
    Stone Guard was wiped due to being flesh-to-stoned and garajal was enrage due to 3 dd's dying in the first spiritworld phase. Spiritkings was rather fun because of how many people died in annihilation or flanking order. Hilarious I tell you. The best was the Rogue that used his "charge" into every pillage of Subetai.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

So I am now rank three in the fighter's guild and finally managed to down Izzx or whatever that giant bug is named. He kept killing me because I would go to run behind him but die anyway. I couldn't figure it out till one of my guildies who was also there to brawl said "it looks like the cleave starts from his butt, and goes forward in a cone. Once we noticed that, I decided that circle-strafing would work much better, and was able to kill him in the next attempt. It took me emberassingly long to have done so though. Then I proceeded to wipe on the glowy jaguar because I decided to delay my lay on hands for ONE more GCD to get that extra templar's verdict in before self-healing. Yeah, I am sure we know how that went. I decided to call it a night as the brawler's guild queue was about 5 people long and I was tierd.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Just found out a neat ability of monks;
    if you use roll while strafing or moving backwards, it will move you in that direction(and both strafing rolls and backwards ones have different animations from forward rolls).
    Never knew that I could do that until yesterday.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, you guys are tempting me to play when I'm several thousand miles away from my gaming computer.

How is the Brawler's Guild thus far, is it enjoyable?

(If someone wants a challenge leveling up, by the way, set a gear limit. Either only white items, or only green items. For added fun, turn off your experience and only level up once you've cleared out all quests for your current level. I've done that, and it really is enjoyable for a certain mindset.)
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Heh, you guys are tempting me to play when I'm several thousand miles away from my gaming computer.

How is the Brawler's Guild thus far, is it enjoyable?

(If someone wants a challenge leveling up, by the way, set a gear limit. Either only white items, or only green items. For added fun, turn off your experience and only level up once you've cleared out all quests for your current level. I've done that, and it really is enjoyable for a certain mindset.)
    You know that exp thing might be handy, if only because its kinda annoying how everything goes grey/green to you if you try to do all the quests in a couple zones in a row. I think that if you tried doing all the quests every zone you go to, you could skip zones 3x or more if you want to avoid the next area being nothing but grey to green at the start.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

So, I'm on this handy-dandy 10-day trial thing. Pandaren Monk is a go. My thoughts as I slowly go through. Spoilered for length and meaningless stream-of-consciousness babble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Monk roll is cool. Not as cool as a jelly roll, but I'll take what I can get.

1-10 Pandaria seems like a pale imitation of Jade Empire, or at least the general wuxia theme. They're playing the notes but the song isn't there!

Elemental spirits are boring, I expected more interaction from them. I also expected them to be harder to acquire but details.

I have vast potential. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

Okay, they're painting Pandaria as super idyllic. Is it wrong for me to want to see the whole thing shattered and broken just for that?

Yeah, it's definitely too saccharine. I knocked a monk into the turns-you-into-a-frog spring and there was a crane right next to him. It didn't care. Apparently I am the only tasty panda-turned-frog.

Virmin? Really? That's... not the best name they've ever come up with? I guess it gets the point across...

Okay, I just stole a priceless artifact for this guy to break by headbutting it. I admit it, I laughed.

Shooting fireworks at a sky serpent to kill it. Amusing. Still too saccharine, though! It's all too clean and polite and precious.

Oh yes, I've gathered all the spirits and the old man is talking in riddles and his plan is coming to fruition! Finally! Now fire will rain from the sky and everything will...

and...

Oh.

I guess not.

I'm on a turtle and, it's not paying attention to where it's going and, I hope we crash into Stormwaahnd... (No slight against the people of Stormwind, it just had to rhyme.)

He's got a thorn he can't pull out. Well no ****, he's a giant turtle, what's he going to do, rub against a nearby landmass? Actually that's exactly what he should do.

Oh, an airship crashed into him. An Alliance airship! Okay I'm down with that, now maybe what we need to do to dislodge it is crash a zeppelin into...

...oh, it was a prisoner transport. Horde want me to get them bamboo spears (I like how the Tauren's biggest problem with his situation is that he's unarmed), kill some abominations, wreck some faces.

And there are the Alliance, right on schedule, who need me to pick up their meds and carry their soldiers back to base. The Horde never asked me to give them piggyback rides!

Hmm, introducing raiding mechanics like "don't stand in cleaves" at level 7, I'm down with that. Ooh, explosions. Oh, are we blowing this thing up?

The chick is clearly the Alliance Pandaren by the fact that she went to go find the Alliance right away. Now if only she would shut up about how there has to be a plan that doesn't involve explosions. There is one! LET ME JUST GO GET MY EARTH/WIND/WATER/FIRE/HEART SPIRIT TO MOVE THIS THING, YOU MET THEM LIKE AN HOUR AGO. 'Bout time they did something useful right?

Nope, explosions. Oh my, that's a lot of blood. Oh, less QQ more pew pew lady! Here we have a fairly neat event where I protect lots of healers. I'm a healer-spec monk now and I just took out like seven enemies at once accidentally so this'll be a cinch!

Oh right, gotta protect them, heh.

Oh hey it worked, this is unexpected. This puts "reckless idiot monk guy" 2 for 2 on plans.

A CHOICE! Wow, those are terribly presented. It's like they're not even trying to posit the two factions as equals any more. Anyway, this is on a server where all my toons are Alliance, so I pick that.

Huh. For the gate guards of the capital of a vastly multicultural/racial alliance, these guys are kind of speciesist *****. Do they not get neutral folk coming in to trade ever? I'm pretty sure they put up with a circus on their doorstep that employs orcs and ogres and gnolls and everything.

Man, that giant statue of Varian is still over-the-top, wasn't there this massive revolt of stonemasons over not getting paid? I'm pretty sure that was a thing. I'm pretty sure I brutally repressed it although in fairness its bosses had to improvise.

And Varian is being a **** and Pandaren Alliance chick is taking it without question. Don't want to hurt my new king? Screw you, this guy just laughed in my face after telling me that if I see Reckless Idiot Monk Guy again it will be treasonous not to shank him. I want to see my new king bleed.

Sigh. At least I got to punch him in the face.

Faction information on Alliance Pandas, pfeh. Balance and wisdom, sure, but when it came time to save everything you ever knew or loved, monk lady, you choked. And then you yelled at the guy who saved everything you ever knew or loved.

And... that's all? it is be Westfall tiem nao?

Where's the rest of it?
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2012-12-17 at 11:07 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

19. - Top - End - #289

Yeah, I loved that part. "That guy you grew up with? HE IS THE ENEMY! That stinking sister of yours who went over to the other side? If you EVER talk to her again outside of death threats, i will have you publicly executed for treason!" Honestly, the entire faction thing made almost no sense to me.

Also, i was annoyed at the whole explosive scene. Not because there were other options, but because that judgmental chick spent all her time moaning about never forgiving him instead of actually trying to solve things herself. What was HER plan going to be huh? How was she going to shift the giant wreckage of a ship thats slowly driving their entire landmass insane with pain without killing it? Oh thats right, she never came up with one. She would rather stand there wringing her hands hoping for the ship to grow wings and fly away. And then his plan WORKED. They were able to get rid of the ship and treat the turtles wounds, and im pretty sure she just stood back and ignored him despite the fact that he was entirely right.

Can someone with end game knowledge tell me if there are any meetings at future dungeons between them? It could actually be kinda cool once we gloss over the stupidity. Some sort of sha involved, "ill never forgive you! RAWR! type of battle where whichever one of them is on your opposing faction goes crazy and attacks.

20. - Top - End - #290

Wonder of wonders.
    My old guild is getting mostly back together.
    I'm waiting until my Paladin buddy gets back from Christmas break, then we will see what is going on.

If I guild change, my schedule will be tues-thurs with the odd monday rather than thurs/fri/sunday.

World First Elite Protectors on 25 man. Wow.
    I was investigating how hard that was. 200K damage per second per raid member in 25 man. 160K in 10 man. On top of other big bad hits and abilities. I have no concept of how you actually heal through that with 3 or 6 healers. And a super tight DPS requirement. For sheer numbers and intensity scale, the hardest fight in the game.
    That is pretty amazing.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Ok lets see:

Warlock: first char to 85, great.
    Mage: got to 62, and liking it.

Shaman: this is the class I'm currently focusing on. Unfortunately, I've tried all three specs of this class and found them lacking: Elemental just seems too magey without the fun of moving around, Restoration has too much healing and not enough damage, and Enhancement while having fun dual-wieldiness doesn't have enough mana for heals to keep myself alive since with 680 mana total and the heal costing 233 mana a pop, to heal myself I would be wasting a third of my mana. I got the Shaman to 51, but I don't think this class is the best one for me.

Best move on then, to either the Rogue or the Hunter. Since my Rogue is higher level and has a different playstyle to both Mage and Warlock, I'll go for it first.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #292

@Halls of the Thunder King

12 bosses (+1 Extra on Heroic) feels about right. Don't forget that they will likely add new World Bosses in that patch as well.
    Personally, I hope the first boss is a vehicle boss. Really get that 'break down the door' assault feeling.
    Warlocks get Green Fire at long last.
    Proving Grounds should be ready for 5.2

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a few questions about the World of Warcraft.

I have several old level 85 characters, and the Northrend and Outlands expansions. I'm considering getting up to date, and starting to play again.

However, I have some rather heavy doubts about the whole Panda thing.

So, first: What am I looking at here - buying two expansions, right, the dragon thing and the panda thing.

Then I will have to level - which to me takes the form of exploring and questing, and is hardly a chore. This is the part of the game I actually enjoy.

Then, the gear grind.

So my questions are:
    Is the new content enjoyable - especially to one who considers both pandas and dragons crappy fantasy?
    Is the solo player landscape navigable these days?
    Are there ridable characters now - am I getting that right? Is this too dumb for me to pick WoW up again?
    How bad is the gear grind, before you can get to contribute meaningfully to raiding?

24. - Top - End - #294

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    I have several old level 85 characters, and the Northrend and Outlands expansions. I'm considering getting up to date, and starting to play again.
    So, first: What am I looking at here - buying two expansions, right, the dragon thing and the panda thing.
    Question, how do you have level 85 characters without Cataclysm?

So my questions are:
    Is the new content enjoyable - especially to one who considers both pandas and dragons crappy fantasy?
    If you ignore the fact that most of your quest givers happen to be Pandarens, it shouldn't bother you. If, like some players, your rage is induced the moment you spot a Pandaren some 100 yards away, then you might not enjoy it. Yes, there are some Dragons, but they aren't nearly as forefront as the were in the last two expansions.
    However, the story telling is very solid. It has extremely little to do with Kung Fu Panda, despite what you may have heard. Sure, there are some references, but they don't pop up every 5 minutes. And if you look at the Pandarens as chacters rather than just as a race, they are decently portrayed. Lorewalker Cho was instantly my favorite character of the expansion, and all I did was sit down to have a cup of tea and listen to him tell a story.
    Not all of the story is as immature as people assumed the expansion was going to be, if that helps you. Heck, the Sha and most of the story elements surrounding them start getting kind of heavy.
    And the 'War as the focus' of the story has worked out really well thus far. Anticipation is building, tensions are mounting, and even the Legendary questline focuses on the war and some future conflict down the road.

Is the solo player landscape navigable these days?
    Not sure what you mean here, so I'm just going to talk about solo play.
    First and foremost, 85-90 is completely doable alone, just as it was in BC, Wrath, and Cataclysm. This iteration feels less linear than the straight path that was Cataclysm, and even rewards a bit of deviation, getting away from the set path. If you go off and explore, you will be rewarded for it, I assure you. You just have to know what to look for.

The best example of this is the Lorewalkers faction. If you keep an eye out for all the scrolls hidden around Pandaria (much like all the books hidden around the rest of the game) not only can they grant you Exalted reputation with the Lorewalkers if you collect them all, but each complete story you collect gives you an in-game interaction with Lorewalker Cho, who tells you the whole story.
    Example:
    The story of the Mogu. You need to find 7 scrolls related to the subject scattered around Pandaria. If you get them all, Cho tells you the story, with some in-game visual aids. It's a bit like watching a play, rather than a cinematic.

As for content like Scenarios, Dungeons, and Raids, a 'solo player' can get pretty far with things. One does not have to be in a guild to see content these days (truthfully this was the case in Wrath and Cata, but it largely depended on your server and the mentality of the local community), and you can see the LFR version of all the raid content pretty easily.

How bad is the gear grind, before you can get to contribute meaningfully to raiding?
    3 or 4 days of running 5 man heroics and a few Scenarios and I had what I needed to enter the LFR version of raiding (queue-able, but easy), and I was raiding in pugs and with my guild in normal mode within a week of hitting max level. Due to Reforging and Gemming, it's easy enough to reach the Hit/Expertise cap needed, which is about the only barrier to entry these days.
    Same as it was in Cataclysm really, but with LFR there to bridge the gap between 5 man content and raiding, it is significantly less of a brick wall.
    Yes, daily questing can get you some really good rewards too, but those rewards (at honored and revered, both of which are easy to hit, exalted is not required) aren't really required and easily replaced. You do daily quests more for the unlocked story elements and the cosmetic/fun perks, such as more mounts, the flippable table, some profession recipies, and a few quality of life adjustments.

Are there ridable characters now - am I getting that right? Is this too dumb for me to pick WoW up again?
    Rideable characters? You mean like how you can ride the Druid's Stag form?
    Why would that be too dumb for you to pick up WoW?
    Sorry, I don't think I understand the question here.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Question, how do you have level 85 characters without Cataclysm?
    Damned if I know? Level 80 then - how does that sound? It's two expanions ago, I cannot be held responsible if my memory flags a bit.

Thanks for your reply, it seems the parts of WoW I really enjoyed are still to be found somewhere in there. So that's good.

I play horde - since the evil alliance are evil, and most be stopped at all cost. So if I were to start a new character, and sight-see all the new stuff that's been added ... then I'd have to be a goblin, right? Or a panda, which is not going to happen. Not at first at any rate.

Hm. So I guess I'm gearing up for a new bout of WoW. Maybe. It seems you can never go back to Mulgore (by which I mean Blizzard has thus far been unable to recreate the magic of my first character).

26. - Top - End - #296

Neat. What was your first character?
    Mulgore? Don't tell me...
    Tauren Druid?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Neat. What was your first character?
    Mulgore? Don't tell me...
    Tauren Druid?
    I feel you put me an impossible task, sir. How can I do both? But I can inform you that, when I finally quit playing, I left Broekdarr on a hilltop in the shade of a tree, near the foot of Thunder Bluff. In principle he waits there still - majestic against the setting sun.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Ok lets see:

Warlock: first char to 85, great.
    Mage: got to 62, and liking it.

Shaman: this is the class I'm currently focusing on. Unfortunately, I've tried all three specs of this class and found them lacking: Elemental just seems too magey without the fun of moving around, Restoration has too much healing and not enough damage, and Enhancement while having fun dual-wieldiness doesn't have enough mana for heals to keep myself alive since with 680 mana total and the heal costing 233 mana a pop, to heal myself I would be wasting a third of my mana. I got the Shaman to 51, but I don't think this class is the best one for me.

Best move on then, to either the Rogue or the Hunter. Since my Rogue is higher level and has a different playstyle to both Mage and Warlock, I'll go for it first.
    Speaking as an ex shaman myself, I just thought I would mention that I think the enhance spec gets alot better at higher levels. At least it did in earlier expansions, I havent actually played it much since wotlk. And if mana is a problem, it isnt THAT horrible of an idea to grab a couple "of the eagle" type items to boost your mana supply an appreciable amount. I look at it as like how my mage was way back in the day.

At low levels I had an awesomely high intellect and a massive mana pool. I could kill way more mobs than usual before running oom. (This was tbc era btw) The problem was, I had focused so much on int, that my hp pool sucked and I tended to die in a couple hits tops. So I went to the auction house, and traded in several slots of the owl gear and went for eagle or just flat out stamina. Sure I needed a drink a little more often, but at least I could get hit more than twice and not die from it! My point is, a little balance isnt a bad idea in your stats. You dont have to focus on pure dps and hitpoints to do well while leveling up.

29. - Top - End - #299

Speaking as an ex shaman myself, I just thought I would mention that I think the enhance spec gets alot better at higher levels. At least it did in earlier expansions, I havent actually played it much since wotlk. And if mana is a problem, it isnt THAT horrible of an idea to grab a couple "of the eagle" type items to boost your mana supply an appreciable amount. I look at it as like how my mage was way back in the day.
    Out of curiosity have you played a mana using class since MOP?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Man, that 'ridable characters' question seems so random. There are some situations in which a player can transform into something or mount something that allows a second player to get on as well, while the first player retains control. Does that... qualify as 'too stupid'? I don't know. There aren't, like, entire races dedicated to carrying other players around, if that's what you're thinking. It's nothing more than a minor novelty for most.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-12-26 at 02:29 AM.