New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Not Monk-eying around.

I wish to make a character centred around unarmed strikes, but I don't really want to play a monk, can anyone make some suggestions or point me in the right direction? Monastic Disciple has been fixed in my group to allow you to Unarmed strike as a Monk, so that's my level 1 feat, unless I'm a human, but what should be my primary class?
    Roleplay is Important Alway come Prepared
    Credit to the absolutely stunning Mavis Vermilion Avatar goes to the Amazing Ceika
    I always Carouse, I never Peruse, it's much more fun to find things my way.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Not Monk-eying around.

Barbarian? Crushing people with your bulging muscles, no sissy weak 'civilized' weapons involved?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-02 at 10:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Arena fighter (Dark Sun Campaign Setting) gets half-decent stats with improvised weapons. Now open up the PHB to the weapons tables, and see which one unarmed strike is listed under.

Alternatively, you could take Brawler fighter (Martial Power 2) and Monastic Disciple, for a mobile style with lots of throws and grabs. Arena fighter with powers themed for Brawler would also do that well.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #4

So I gotta get some more books... Arena fighter, Brawler fighter, the only one I already have is for the Barbarian.
    Credit to the absolutely stunning Mavis Vermilion Avatar goes to the Amazing Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If you're a rogue, for the cost of one more feat (Piercing Palm), you can treat your monkfist as a light blade for purposes of Sneak Attack and rogue powers. (Melee and close powers, anyway, which still leads to some silliness.)
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #6

The idea for this came from my Lv 6 Eladrin Slayer, Martial Cross Training gave Rain of Blows to replace Power Strike, we were imprisoned and I burst the gate and had to attack the guard (small place) and hit him 12 times in one turn after spending an action point. Two Fists, 18 Strength, 20 Dexterity.

Not sure if this was even right, but it's what the DM gave me to work with.
    +8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8
    1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9

then the action point for another Attack, with Twin Weapon Rain of Blows
    +8/+8/+8/+8/+8/+8
    1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9/1d4+9

All 12 hit,
    12d4+108 Damage was very nice to take down the guard.
    Please don't tell me if this isn't allowed, I like that the DM said that this is what it is. I just want to reproduce and improve on it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

You won't improve on 130+ damage in one round with an unarmed brawler at level 6. Ever. About the best you can do in terms of an offensive DD would be;

1. Play a Slayer.
    2. Stack DEX
    3. Take the Elemental Initiate theme from HotEC.
    4. You'll want either plate armor via a feat or, if you have 15+ WIS, Divine Healer if you envision a more lightly-clad combatant.

Your biggest issue is going to be finding feats and equipment that actually improve your offensive capabilities. Grab Master of the Fist, Martial Cross-Training for Bludgeoning Vise. There's a level 10 fighter daily from MP that adds your DEX to unarmed as a stance.

8. - Top - End - #8

Also, Master of the Fist exists to give you MUS. I have a faux-brawler Tempest fighter who uses it as her main weapon.
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2012-11-03 at 07:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExemplarofAvg View Post
    Please don't tell me if this isn't allowed, I like that the DM said that this is what it is. I just want to reproduce and improve on it.
    Well, let's just say that it works however your GM says it works, and reproducing it will be solely at his or her discretion. I'm happy for you that it's working, but if you're looking for a RAW way to reproduce it, you're gonna be disappointed—so just stick with what your GM says.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You can't reproduce and improve on it because the combination isn't allowed... it doesn't even make sense, really. You're completely at the mercy of your DM (mis)interpreting the rules in a manner that's frankly inconsistent with 4e's design philosophy.

Specific rule breaks:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1.) Two-Weapon Fighting. No, it doesn't work like that. At all. You need a power that grants you an extra attack to get an extra attack, as otherwise you simply blow everyone else out of the water.

2.) Unarmed Two-Weapon Fighting. I hate it, but by RAW you only have one "unarmed" weapon... your body as a whole. You can't two-weapon fight with two fists, they function as one weapon.

3.) Rain of Blows. See 1.) for why you shouldn't get three attacks for one use. However, it also deals 1[W] damage per hit, not 1[W]+Strength, so as a Slayer, you explicitly add only your Dexterity modifier to the damage. That, and any extra damage sources like from magic weapons or Weapon Focus.

4.) Action Point usage. No, you can't re-use an Encounter Power with an action point... a power with limited usage is expended when it is used and can't be re-used even in the same turn unless it or another game element specifically states otherwise (such as a feat or Paragon Path feature giving you back an Encounter power when you spend an Action Point).

11. - Top - End - #11

Also remember there are some grandmaster training items that are pretty cool if you want to check those out. My personal favorite is five stars five strikes.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    You can't reproduce and improve on it because the combination isn't allowed... it doesn't even make sense, really. You're completely at the mercy of your DM (mis)interpreting the rules in a manner that's frankly inconsistent with 4e's design philosophy.

Specific rule breaks:
    Spoiler
    Show

4.) Action Point usage. No, you can't re-use an Encounter Power with an action point... a power with limited usage is expended when it is used and can't be re-used even in the same turn unless it or another game element specifically states otherwise (such as a feat or Paragon Path feature giving you back an Encounter power when you spend an Action Point).
    Actually 4 is legal, A Slayer at Lv 6 can use Power Strike 2x per encounter. Martial Cross Training lets a Slayer use Rain of Blows rather than Power Strike.

13. - Top - End - #13

ClericGuy

Actually 4 is legal, A Slayer at Lv 6 can use Power Strike 2x per encounter. Martial Cross Training lets a Slayer use Rain of Blows rather than Power Strike.
    Yes, but only once. It doesn't replace Power Strike out-right:

Martial Cross-Training
    Benefit
    : You lose one use of your power strike power. In exchange, you gain an encounter attack power of your choice. The power must be from your class and be of your level or lower.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

And even if it did, you can't use Power Strike more than once per turn.

Definitely stick with what your DM rules! Much more impressive that way.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list