Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Hey, y'all!

    This is completely hypothetical, but how would you handle it if one character had a pet, but that pet was supposed to be a full PC played by another character?

    I mean... No backstory for the 'owner', or class requirement. In fact, they don't play into this. What race/class combo would you go with for the pet?
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    My stupid blog on religion and stuff.
    My stupid blog on love. (Ask me stuff!)

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crasical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Hengeyoukai. The 'owner' may not be even aware that their 'pet' is more than a normal animal of it's type.
    I named and helped build the Pervirtuoso!
    Ask me about Simon the Warblade!

    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.
    Avatar by the esteemed Prime32

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    LOVE IT! That's a great idea! I didn't even think about that one!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    My stupid blog on religion and stuff.
    My stupid blog on love. (Ask me stuff!)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Any Druid that is always in the Beast Form is plausible, if I read correctly.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Badgerish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    huddersfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    A Gnoll tempest-fighter/ranger/barbarian with the 'Claw fighter' feat?
    The owner would need to equip the pet with armour, but that's totally a D&D thing.

    Use inherent bonuses or MC into monk for Ki Focuses
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    I also like both of those a lot, too.

    With the Gnoll Claw Fighter idea, how would you begin to optimize something like that? It is somewhat low weapon damage, but maybe a rogue might be a good option, seeing as it's more about getting SA rather than heavy weapon damage?

    How would you optimize these builds, period? Just curious, y'all. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    My stupid blog on religion and stuff.
    My stupid blog on love. (Ask me stuff!)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Adoendithas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Ruins of Azure City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    Hengeyoukai. The 'owner' may not be even aware that their 'pet' is more than a normal animal of it's type.
    Sorry, but...what is a hengeyoukai?
    Awesome avatar by I♥P&P!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crasical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Intelligent magical animals who can assume human form, or a hybrid form. Detailed in Dragon 404.
    I named and helped build the Pervirtuoso!
    Ask me about Simon the Warblade!

    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.
    Avatar by the esteemed Prime32

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tegu8788's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Pehnereas View Post
    How would you optimize these builds, period? Just curious, y'all. Thanks for the help!
    The exact same way you would normally optimize those builds? Maybe coordinate bettering with the "owner" but beyond that, it would be pretty standard.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Badgerish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    huddersfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Refluff halfling into monkey
    play a Monkey Monk!

    cloth armour and slotted items can be waistcoat and adorable accessories, ki focus can be a collar.

    In heroic, equip a dejada (dark sun sling-weapon) and say it's just natural throwing ability. (skipping stone flurry)

    In paragon... just straight up use a dagger (or get something for free weapon-swapping to use dagger and dejada) because once you are in paragon, all bets are off. (starblade flurry)
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ghost_warlock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Unfriend Zone

    Default Re: Hypothetical PC Pet/Companion

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerish View Post
    A Gnoll tempest-fighter/ranger/barbarian with the 'Claw fighter' feat?
    The owner would need to equip the pet with armour, but that's totally a D&D thing.

    Use inherent bonuses or MC into monk for Ki Focuses
    Or skip the crappy claw fighter feat and just go gnoll monk. Who says monk unarmed damage can't be bites and claws?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •