New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 300 gold?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default 300 gold?

So I've built a Pixie Bard for our new 4e campaign, but the DM has been generous and given us 300gp to spend.

After essentials (armour, sheild, sword, wand, adventure's kit) what should I buy? Healing potions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 300 gold?

Healing potions are always a great backup plan. Consider Cure Light Wounds potions from Mordenkainen's - they're only 20 gp, and cure 1d8+1 damage for the cost of a surge. So if you have 100 free gold, you can get 5 of these or 2 normal healing potions.

Usually 1d8+1 is fine; the main purpose of healing potions (IME) is either reviving an unconscious ally who's already used their Second Wind, or getting your Leader back up so they can work their healing.

Importantly, if you're bloodied and out of surges, they heal this amount anyway, surge-less.

-O

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I second healing potions/potions of cure light wounds.

For melee weapon users, there are "Augmenting Whetstones" which use you on your weapon, then get a bonus for the rest of the encounter. Effects include: ongoing 2 acid damage (save ends) or 2 thunder damage to nearby enemies (but not the original target). 100gp a pop, but they can be encounter-changers at low level.

mounts are a risky and silly prospect, but "Giant lizard, draft" is apprently only 200gp, mobile and a hefty fighter (and as a pixie, you can talk to it!)
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Does that convert into 2000 cp?

Seriously, though, I belive that anything you gain at this level will become obsolete soon enough, so consumable items are your best shot here. So if you grab a whetstone, a pop of healing potions, and normal gear, that should do you well enough.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I would buy nothing, then wait until I collect 60 gp more in-game, then buy a Magic Wand +1 (or sword +1, whichever you use more).

A healing potion is a nice emergency measure. Those whetstones should not be available at first level, but even if they are I would prefer a permanent bonus to a one-shot item.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

300g is 1,500 drinks of ale.

You'll become a legend!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Buy 300GP of adventuring equipment, mark it up slightly, and sell it at the entrance to a dungeon!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Buy a giant lizard (draft). Who needs a defender?