New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default [Pathfinder] Favorite Dips?

People I play pathfinder with seem to think it's not worth it to multiclass anymore, what with all the benefits the system gives to single classed characters. I disagree, but find myself unable to think of any good ones off the top of my head. so, using the core and base classes listed on the Pathfinder SRD, what are your favorite multiclasses, in particular one or two level dips?

Bonus points for good dips for the classes some of them play, Ranger, fighter, and rogue. (Casters not included because multiclassing them is just bad.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Favorite Dips?

Barbarian with a 2 level alchemist dip. Mutagen stacks with rage, you can get an extra arm at level 2 and then use extra discovery to get a second one and dual wield great axes. Take vivisectionist Alchemist specifically to also get sneak attack.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Sciency Barbarian? Feel like the hulk. But with extra arms. I like it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This guide may be to your liking.

Also, this build:
    Be a Dwarf.
    Wear a Dwarven Boulder Helmet (counts as Martial for Dwarves).
    Take 2 levels of Ranger with the Natural Combat Style so you can take Aspect of the Beast for 2 Claw attacks.
    Take 1 level of White-Haired Witch for a Hair Beard-attack that can be used to Grapple.
    You now have 3 Natural Attacks and qualify for Multiattack making your Secondary attacks only -2 To-Hit.
    Take 1 level of Monk for WIS-to-AC.

NAKED HEAD-BUTTING BEARD-WRESTLING DOESN'T-TRIM-HIS-FINGERNAILS DWARF OF DOOM!!!!

Bonus points for going Martial Artist Monk (does NOT have to be Lawful) and then taking levels of Barbarian to add RAGE!!
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

1 level into Witch lets you smell children.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shortround View Post
    1 level into Witch lets you smell children.
    I'm not sure that's legal!!!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Life Oracle 3 is a great dip and the basis for Oradins.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Heart View Post
    Barbarian with a 2 level alchemist dip. Mutagen stacks with rage, you can get an extra arm at level 2 and then use extra discovery to get a second one and dual wield great axes. Take vivisectionist Alchemist specifically to also get sneak attack.
    I'm failing to find the extra arm @ 2nd level. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

@xander: it's a discovery, here

My favourite dip is probably Lore Oracle 1, for Cha to saves and armor. And knowledge skills if you spend a feat

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Cav4 - gets you some nice stuff and access to horse lord feat, for an equal level animal companion/mount.

Ftr3(brawler) - I like to dip for close combatants, get 2 bonus feats and +1/+3 with close weapon group.

Mnk1 or 2 - 2feats, wis to ac, evasion, flurry, improved unarmed, etc..

Oracle1(dual cursed) - gets you some neato abilities, and you can pick some manageable impairments with perks, and you can take it a little higher if you are planning an oradin or something similar.

it's nice to stay cav to 8 (order of the sword gets mount STR bonus to damage), then dip to monk(sohei)6 (initiative bonus, never suprised, ki pool, flurry with weapons, and great mounted feats), then dip to FighterX (even more bonus feats)

there are a ton of examples of viable builds that are dips, I would say are at the same power level as staying with the base class. at some stages they are more powerful and at other stages they might fall behind.

for example, I like to dip my barbarians to martial artist and fighter if I don't feel the game will hit 12 or I just get impatient with the slowly developing shtick.

right up until level 12 I would rank the dipping barb higher than the pure barb, but at 12 with "come and get me" coming online, the pure barb pulls ahead.
    Last edited by Blyte; 2012-11-03 at 12:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

In regards to what Stone Heart suggested, would it be worth dipping more into alchemist to gain the vestigal arms & wings?

Another thought came to mind as well. What about a warlock dip with gunslinger? Can you cast arcane bolt through your firearm?
    Last edited by Xander96; 2012-11-04 at 03:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xander96 View Post
    In regards to what Stone Heart suggested, would it be worth dipping more into alchemist to gain the vestigal arms & wings?

Another thought came to mind as well. What about a warlock dip with gunslinger? Can you cast arcane bolt through your firearm?
    Well I don't know of a PF Warlock class so I can't comment on that, but for the Alchemist's wings you need to get six levels of alchemist, for flight only available six minutes a day (or more if you go further) so at that point I don't know if it is really dipping anymore.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

As a general rule, the question is how long the game is going to last. If you're going 1-20, one class is probably the best build. If you're only playing for a few levels, that investment isn't going to pay off, and multiclassing is stronger in the short term. In 3.5 especially, but still in Pathfinder, most classes are front loaded with features, making low levels suck less, but also making multiclassing tempting. Most games don't go 1-20, so multiclassing can be a way to pick up a quick power boost.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.