New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Gestalt Help...Is Archivist without academic priest worth it?

As the title asks. I was going to go Archivist/Factotum in a gestalt game in which arcane classes are not allowed due to the plot, and run into a MASSIVE issue. The DM doesn't have the dragonlance books so I can't use academic priest. Without wisdom-boosting items, the most wisdom I can have with my rolls 1s 15. I could take a plus wis race to boost this, such as lesser Aaismar to boost that to a respectable 17, but that would mean I can't take a +int race(B/C all +int, +wis races have yucky LA) to boost my int from 17 to 19, meaning DCs and such will suffer. Thus, I am looking to all of you for advice. How can I save a Factotum/Archivist gestalt without academic priest? Will I be forced to take Lesser Aasimar or some other +wis race? Are bonus spells not nearly as important as I think them to be? Or should I forget archivist/factotum all together and just go Psion/Factotum or something? Any advice and help would be appreciated...
    Last edited by Giegue; 2012-11-03 at 01:04 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalt Help...Is Archivist without academic priest worth it?

Take a look at the tables - the difference between a 15 and a 17 is a single bonus 3rd level spell. Now, depending on what kind of spells you prepare that could be major, so it's really up to you to decide whether or not a single spell slot is worth leaving a T1 class for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Step 1: Start with 13 Wis
    Step 2: Buy/craft enhancements at the appropriate levels
    Fin

4. - Top - End - #4

Why start with only 13 when I can start with 15? Also, you make it sound that easy, but it's not. Crafting costs XP and forces you to burn feats. However, in this game we get feats faster and more frequently(every odd-numbered level instead of every three levels) so burning a feat or three on crafting feats will not be AS bad as it would be in a normal game I guess...

As for spell access for item creation, all divine spellcasting base classes are in play, as is Divine Bard. So I'll have plenty of options...
    Last edited by Giegue; 2012-11-03 at 01:30 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Who says you have to craft anything? Pay some other schmuck to do it, or get your filthy paws on an artificer cohort.

Psion//factotum is not a terrible choice. As long as you know your way around it, psionics is versatile and fun, and egoists make great gishes.

But again there's no real reason not to play an archivist.

6. - Top - End - #6

BarbarianGuy

As an Archivist with a 17 Intelligence and a 15 Wisdom, you'll do just fine. Note that Archivists already start with an extra spell slot per day compared to a wizard anyway.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you actually fretting about Tier 1//Factotum being infeasible because it involves a touch of MAD, and you can't boost both of the things you want? C'mon, you'll be fine.

Also, the Vanara (Oriental Adventures) supplies +int and +wis.