New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default PF Ranger Switch Hitter

I was just wondering...what races would be best for a Ranger Switch Hitter? Thanks again guys!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: PF Ranger Switch Hitter

As always: If you don't know what race to pick, go Human. The extra feat and skillpoint is a strong boost for any build, including the Switch Hitter.

Treantmonk says: Human, Half-Elf, or Half-Orc. Any of those, putting the +2 in Strength.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xander96 View Post
    I was just wondering...what races would be best for a Ranger Switch Hitter? Thanks again guys!
    Any race with net bonuses to STR/DEX/CON/WIS and net penalties to INT/CHA.
    There are quite a few.

Dwarf, Aasimar (variants), Tieflings (variants), Duergar, Hobgoblin, Merfolk, Orc, Oread, Strix, Suli, Vanara...

Is there anything else you care about besides Switch-Hittering?
    You can gain some Natural Attacks, Energy Resistances, various Visions, various types of Save boosts, various......
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2012-11-03 at 09:30 PM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes I care about having darkvision as well. I feel having that is important. Also, resistances are a nice added bonus as well.

I didn't know there were variation of the aasimar. Where would I find that reference?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yes I care about having darkvision as well. I feel having that is important. Also, resistances are a nice added bonus as well.

I didn't know there were variation of the aasimar. Where would I find that reference?
    They get the Tiefling's Infernal Heritage for free apparently. Alternate racial traits, galore!
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Of the four I have listed, Aasimar and Tiefling are your best bets, as they have more support (more Racial Feats/Archetypes/etc...).

Aasimar, (stats based on Variant)
    Archon Blooded, +2 CON, +2 WIS
    Garuda Blooded, +2 DEX, +2 WIS
    Resist 5 Acid/Cold/Electricity
    Darkvision, and ability to cast Daylight 1/day

Duergar, +2 CON, +2 WIS, -4 CHA
    Various Immunities/Save bonuses, 1/day Self Enlarge Person, and 1/day Self Invisibility
    Superior Darkvision (comes with Light Sensativity though, there is a Trait for no Sensativity at the cost of Darkvision range).

Suli, +2 STR, -2 INT, +2 CHA
    Resist 5 Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire (yes ALL of them)
    Low-Light Vision
    Favored Ranger bonus of increasing a Resist by +1

Tiefling (various based on Heritage, many would work well)
    Resist 5 Cold/Electricity/Fire
    Darkvision and ability to cast Darkness 1/day
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The Asura-spawn are probably the best bet. Wis, Dex, and you get Tasha's Hideous Laughter as a SLA.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Oread is +Str/+Wis (penalty to Cha) and has nice pain-free swaps to get things like bonus AC vs. ranged attacks and poor man's fabricate. Tiefling and Aasimar get better options just by sheer volume, though.

Vanara is Dex/Wis and penalizes Cha. Tengu is also Dex/Wis but hurts Con, making it a poor choice.

The Asura-spawn are probably the best bet. Wis, Dex, and you get Tasha's Hideous Laughter as a SLA.
    With what is most likely a god-awful save DC, since as an SLA it is cha-based.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post

Yeah, but at low levels it's better than nothing.

In hindsight, Oni-Spawn seems the best, overall.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Of the four I have listed, Aasimar and Tiefling are your best bets, as they have more support (more Racial Feats/Archetypes/etc...).

Aasimar, (stats based on Variant)
    Archon Blooded, +2 CON, +2 WIS
    Garuda Blooded, +2 DEX, +2 WIS
    Resist 5 Acid/Cold/Electricity
    Darkvision, and ability to cast Daylight 1/day

Duergar, +2 CON, +2 WIS, -4 CHA
    Various Immunities/Save bonuses, 1/day Self Enlarge Person, and 1/day Self Invisibility
    Superior Darkvision (comes with Light Sensativity though, there is a Trait for no Sensativity at the cost of Darkvision range).

Suli, +2 STR, -2 INT, +2 CHA
    Resist 5 Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire (yes ALL of them)
    Low-Light Vision
    Favored Ranger bonus of increasing a Resist by +1

Tiefling (various based on Heritage, many would work well)
    Resist 5 Cold/Electricity/Fire
    Darkvision and ability to cast Darkness 1/day
    I also noticed on that page that Angel-Blooded wouldn't be a bad option either. It gives +2 str/+2 wis. alter self/1 day

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Oread is +Str/+Wis (penalty to Cha) and has nice pain-free swaps to get things like bonus AC vs. ranged attacks and poor man's fabricate. Tiefling and Aasimar get better options just by sheer volume, though.

Vanara is Dex/Wis and penalizes Cha. Tengu is also Dex/Wis but hurts Con, making it a poor choice.

I'm interested to see where the racial feat is for AC vs ranged attacks. I saw something about AC vs ray attacks, but nothing vs ranged attacks

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I also noticed on that page that Angel-Blooded wouldn't be a bad option either. It gives +2 str/+2 wis. alter self/1 day

I show Angel Blooded as +2 STR, +2 CHA...
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, it's semi helpful anyways for the str portion of it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The Oni-Spawn gives the +2 Str/Wis, and the alter self as well.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now RP wise how would you play a Tiefling as a good character? I would think it would be rather difficult to do since their nature is evil.

Feedback most welcome!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now RP wise how would you play a Tiefling as a good character? I would think it would be rather difficult to do since their nature is evil.

Feedback most welcome!
    It's not always inherently evil or anything like that. The closest I've seen to that is that they find evil is easier to do than good, not that they lack free will(well, aside from the crazy ones which is kind of debatable anyway).

You've run into heroic figures with repressed/suppressed/conquered and vanquished evil sides before no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Examples of such?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Examples of such?
    Um, no. He asked you the question.

That being said, the tiefling is a fun RP experience. The fluff of being reviled your whole life, but being a hero of good despite this. Tell, who is more good? The aasimar, who helps the people who pampered her and doted over her their whole livies, or the noble tiefling, who helps even though his blood and his peers tell him he should not.

Good tieflings truly have a sense of character that other characters do not, and are able to sympathize with the unwanted in ways others can not.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

(Some of) Their heritage is evil, but their nature is whatever their nature is. They're not true outsiders, they're creatures of the Material Plane. Free will goes along with that.

Heck, Tieflings have a pretty awesome favored class ability for paladin. There's nothing there that suggests they're inherently evil.

If you need a model for RP, consider the commoner who has been ennobled. She is under constant suspicion from her peers, sometimes wants to give up and act beneath her station, wants to prove herself to the people around her, but is no less capable of ruling than other nobles. A good tiefling might have similar problems and motivations.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Examples of such?
    You've never run into anything like that before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm sure I have, but I am having a brain fart. Perhaps examples from the Big Screen might help

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure I have, but I am having a brain fart. Perhaps examples from the Big Screen might help
    Darth Vader at the end of Episode VI.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Consult TVTrope's Sliding Scale of Anti-Heroes for further examples.