New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.5] Ways to learn spells from a different class list

What options are there for learning a spell of a different class list?

I know of Wyrm Wizards Spell Research ability for arcane casters and the Divine Magician ACF for clerics. Are there any others?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [3.5] Ways to learn spells from a different class list

Be an Archivist!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Be an Archivist!
    They don't learn spells from other class lists.

Their class list is just "Yes".
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

To clarify, i'm not looking for a class that can learn any spell.
    What im interested in are things like giving Guidance of the Avatar to a Rogue/Wiz/Unseen Seer or Body outside Body to a Wildshaping Druid.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Unseen Seer can grab Divinations from off their spell list, since you brought it up.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

6. - Top - End - #6

There are some classes with advanced learning class features...

There's the Extra Spell feat. Debatable if you can get spells off another list (seems to suggest that you can, though).

There's also the drakehelm, an Eberron item. Gives four extra spells known up to fourth level.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    There's the Extra Spell feat. Debatable if you can get spells off another list (seems to suggest that you can, though).
    How would you "suggest" that would work? That is, what's the rule to let you determine the Bard level of a spell like Control Water? For a Wizard or Sorcerer that's a level 6 spell. For a Druid or Cleric that's a level 4 spell. Where's the rule which specifies the Bard level of some spell which isn't on the Bard spell list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Spell
    Benefit: You learn one additional spell at any level up to one lower than the highest level of spell you can currently cast.
    Or, to put it another way, what's the highest level Druid spell a Bard can currently cast? Because you've got to answer that — with an actual number — before you can determine "one lower than" that; Extra Spell gives you no benefit until you can do that arithmetic.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    How would you "suggest" that would work? That is, what's the rule to let you determine the Bard level of a spell like Control Water? For a Wizard or Sorcerer that's a level 6 spell. For a Druid or Cleric that's a level 4 spell. Where's the rule which specifies the Bard level of some spell which isn't on the Bard spell list?
    There is no set rule. You could technically pick either the higher or lower.

Or, to put it another way, what's the highest level Druid spell a Bard can currently cast? Because you've got to answer that — with an actual number — before you can determine "one lower than" that; Extra Spell gives you no benefit until you can do that arithmetic.
    A 16th level bard knows 6th level spells. Thus, with the extra spell feat, you may learn a druid spell up to 5th level.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There is no set rule. You could technically pick either the higher or lower.
    Then you could also pick "42" as the level, for any spell, if there's no rule.

10. - Top - End - #10

Then you could also pick "42" as the level, for any spell, if there's no rule.
    Except for the fact that control water is either a 4th or 6th level spell. Also, a bard is incapable of casting 42nd level spells.

It's a matter of common sense and discussing it with your DM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Extra Spell was errata'd to only be from your class list, making it pretty much useless.

Recaster also gets 2 spells from any list. It's like Wyrm Wizard but you only lose one level and it's restricted to Changelings.

Rainbow Servant gets the entire Cleric list.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

A 16th level bard knows 6th level BARD spells. Thus, with the extra spell feat, you may learn a BARD spell up to 5th level.
    Corrections in red.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I always thought wizards could learn other spells through RP means, you were just limited when you leveled up and selected spells.

I think there's a spell that allows you extract spells from someone's blood.
    [PF] HP Calculator - Fractional HP, now without math!
    [PF] Initiator NPC Templates - Quickly applied maneuvers for DMs.
    [PF] Initiator Balance Rule - A lightweight fix to balance casting and martial classes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Except for the fact that control water is either a 4th or 6th level spell.
    Control Water is a 4th level Druid Spell and a 6th level Sorcerer spell, but that says nothing about its Bard level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon
    Also, a bard is incapable of casting 42nd level spells.
    What does that have to do with Extra Spell? Should a Ranger get Miracle as a level 4 spell because they're incapable of casting 9th level spells? "42" is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. That, at least, is a citable reference. What rule can you cite which gives the corresponding Bard level for a Druid spell?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Because you've got to answer that — with an actual number — before you can determine "one lower than" that; Extra Spell gives you no benefit until you can do that arithmetic.
    This argument becomes much less compelling when you acknowledge that the similar Expanded Knowledge feat raises the same unanswerable question, but still works on other classes' power lists.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrieur View Post
    I always thought wizards could learn other spells through RP means, you were just limited when you leveled up and selected spells.

I think there's a spell that allows you extract spells from someone's blood.
    Yes that is how the various wizard rules for spell scribing are supposed to work. It should be self-evident due to the wording of that sentence that that's not how it works in practice at all.

And technically, any class can learn any spell, but requires DM approval after you have spent something like 1000 gold and week per spell level.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Why would anyone go through that before getting DM approval? Or are you talking about a particularly vindicative DM screwing with the players?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Why would anyone go through that before getting DM approval? Or are you talking about a particularly vindicative DM screwing with the players?
    No, I'm talking about the actual spell research rules in the DMG. The player spends time and money to represent the cost of doing this kind of experimentation, and the DM decides if it actually works because 1.) this allows for the realistic approach as not all research is successful and 2.) relegating this to a check would be bad game design as players can make up all kinds of stupid spells.

In short, it's based on sensible story telling maxims that not everything the players do should just succeed because they are the players and that the DM should just give them things with no struggle. Which EVERYONE who ever comments on the rules misses as the point by several hundred billion light years, including you.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhatBigTeeth View Post
    This argument becomes much less compelling when you acknowledge that the similar Expanded Knowledge feat raises the same unanswerable question, but still works on other classes' power lists.
    Because Expanded Knowledge explicitly allows this. Extra Spell does not.

Psionics are balanced around potentially any manifester (regardless of theme) being able to access any effect within their power level range. A psychic rogue can potentially summon, a kineticist can potentially heal, a psychic warrior can potentially shapeshift and an ardent can potentially blast. Magic was designed, if not to prevent the above outright, to at least require a few more hoops.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quick! Hide this debtate before Toapat finds it!

On a more serious note, as already mentioned, the Recaster PRC can grab 2 spells from any spell list and add it to their main spellcasting list. And it's a pretty awesome PRC overall.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Because Expanded Knowledge explicitly allows this. Extra Spell does not.
    You appear to be responding to the argument that Extra Spell allows access to other spell lists because it is similar to Expanded Knowledge, which does that. That's not my argument.

My post is meant to illustrate that Curmudgeon's argument is baseless because it is founded on an assumption which is simply not true: that all the details of cross-list materials would be made clear in the feat if cross-list spell learning were allowed. Expanded Knowledge provides an easy illustration that such an assumption shouldn't be the case: a Psychic Rogue could take Expanded Knowledge for Graft Weapon and be in exactly the situation Curmudgeon describes with Control Water, but that situation would not imply that Graft Weapon is an inappropriate selection for the feat.

23. - Top - End - #23

The problem is that Extra Spell does not override the RAW of the given class. For example, wizard was mentioned in this thread:

A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.
    Extra Spell does not override this rule; You get a new spell, but it doesn't say anything that allows you to ignore this.\

Compare to the Psion:

Choose the powers known from the psion power list, or from the list of powers of your chosen discipline. You cannot choose powers from restricted discipline lists other than your own discipline list. You can choose powers from disciplines other than your own if they are not on a restricted discipline list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a psion to learn powers from the lists of other disciplines or even other classes.) A psion can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level.
    And even without the explanation given within the Psion entry itself, Expanded Knowledge provides this clarity on its own.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Depends on how you want to interpret wordings.

Spellcraft skill says that, if you're a Wizard, you can learn a spell from a spellbook or scroll.

In Arcane Magical Writings section, it's further mentioned that after you decipher a writing, "If the magical writing was a scroll and the reader can cast arcane spells, she can attempt to use the scroll." UMD is mentioned nowhere in this section, so your guess as to HOW is as good as mine (since this is under ARCANE MW section, one can assume it refers to Arcane scrolls only, but between nagas, sorcerer-casting dragons, and cooperative item crafting, that's not an impedimento to, well, anything worth mentioning, especially becauseeeeeee...

...sorcerers and bards can do this out of the box, as noted: "With permission, sorcerers and bards can also select the spells they gain from new and unusual spells that they have gained some understanding of."

Long story short, it's all up for grabs, though perhaps the "nos" grab a few more than the "yesses."
    Morituri nolumus morit - We who are about to die... don't want to

"BUT, LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPERMAN." - Death, "Reaperman"

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by JBento View Post
    Depends on how you want to interpret wordings.

Spellcraft skill says that, if you're a Wizard, you can learn a spell from a spellbook or scroll.

In Arcane Magical Writings section, it's further mentioned that after you decipher a writing, "If the magical writing was a scroll and the reader can cast arcane spells, she can attempt to use the scroll." UMD is mentioned nowhere in this section, so your guess as to HOW is as good as mine (since this is under ARCANE MW section, one can assume it refers to Arcane scrolls only, but between nagas, sorcerer-casting dragons, and cooperative item crafting, that's not an impedimento to, well, anything worth mentioning, especially becauseeeeeee...

...sorcerers and bards can do this out of the box, as noted: "With permission, sorcerers and bards can also select the spells they gain from new and unusual spells that they have gained some understanding of."

Long story short, it's all up for grabs, though perhaps the "nos" grab a few more than the "yesses."
    The key word in your quote is attempt - if the scroll's spell is not on your list+you don't use UMD, that attempt will automatically fail. I can attempt to climb Mount Everest, that doesn't mean I'll actually make it up there.

"With permission" for sorcs and bards may as well be homebrew. Of course it's all up for grabs if you allow that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There is Limited Wish which can duplicate any spell level 5th or lower, (Wish does 6th or lower, but is 9th as opposed to 7th so it's less effective in this usage).
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started in the keep of a baron who was hiring the characters as his personal lackeys. It allowed me to give them some simple beginner quests, such as go kill this group of bandits to save this town.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, the argument's largely irrelevant, since Extra Spell was errata'd to specifically not let you get other spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    There is Limited Wish which can duplicate any spell level 5th or lower, (Wish does 6th or lower, but is 9th as opposed to 7th so it's less effective in this usage).
    Yeah but they have those awful XP components. Miracle on the other hand is amazing. Probably the best spell in the game apart from Shapechange.
    Last edited by Story; 2013-01-18 at 12:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Of course, the argument's largely irrelevant, since Extra Spell was errata'd to specifically not let you get other spells.
    ... except it wasn't. You're probably thinking of the FAQ, which most specifically isn't official errata. Those answers, like Customer Service responses, are just the personal opinions of some guys who were Wizards of the Coast employees at the time. In fact, the only part of the FAQ that's official is the selection of questions, chosen from many thousands of submissions to illustrate particular rules issues.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh sorry, I thought it was in the errata, not the FAQ. Nevermind.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say that, using the method of research of new spells described in the DMG I think you could:

If you are a cleric, learn any druid spell at the same level.

If you are a druid, learn any cleric spell at the same level.

If you are a cleric, learn your domain spells as normal cleric spells with level +1 (for example, a 5th level domain spell can be learned as a 6th level cleric spell).

If you are a cleric, you can learn a wizard spell as a cleric spell with level +2 (I have taken Antimagic Field as inspiration).

If you are a wizard, you can learn a cleric or druid spell with level +2 (except cure spells or heal).

Of course, it's just my opinion, and not an official rule.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2013-01-18 at 08:15 PM.