New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Clash of the Titans

Ornmolikgix
    Floating mountain somewhere in the sky

Coming in for a landing after his most recent of travels, the immense silver dragon of mirror-like scales reflects the dying sun's rays for the day back to the heavens almost making him look like a star to those that can see him. Etched into his own scales runes of illuminating sky blue stretch from his nose tip, over his face, and down to his tail much like the frost clinging to window glass. Riding at the base of his neck not far from his shoulder blades is a female draped in leather and furs from various and incalculable hunts with her hair whipping behind her. Before he even touches down on the levitating land mass the female leaps off the dragon and comes to a soft fall, all the while the dragon shrinks down to the form of a elderly man bent at the spine over his cane and the cascade of silvered hair and beard flowing down to his waist, the runes now tattoos covering what skin is visible from his weathered robes. With his cane's wooden end hitting the hard stone the man lets out a slight wheeze of air and has a hand already waving the much younger female away even as she turned to help him.
    "I'm alright, I'm alright! No need to worry about me, and you know it. Go on ahead of me, I just want to watch the sunset for a bit."
    The female hesitates before she walks ahead of the old man disguised silver dragon into a cave at the side of the mountain leaving her elder to ponder the scenery stretching before the cave mouth watching the sunset.
    "It's always nice to come back home after a long journey, no matter how far the winds takes or carries you just to watch the sky change colors... Wouldn't you agree my 'young' visitor?"
    Turning his head, the cerulean eyes only glance at where his visitor stands awaiting his return.

OC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just going to assume that it would be okay for me to start from before I go to the Convention, and later arriving 'on time' to what everyone else is doing.
    Also, forgot what colors I might of called out for, so DimGray for Orn at least for the time being. :P

Edit: Quick edit to add in a bit about my runes turning to tattoos in my human form. Nothing big.
    Last edited by Igneel; 2013-01-29 at 10:33 PM.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Ostia - Spire Stage Area]

As the wards fall and the ships enter, Akira feels most of his mentally crafted defenses fall away, and grimaces. Fists clenched, he glares up at the ships of light and things begin to click into place.

And beside him, a short figure stumbles and falls to her knees, whatever illusions she had been hiding under collapsing away. Yukari grasps at her head, emitting a strangled cry as the suppression field weighs down on her mind.

But throughout all this mayhem, Yukari's Nexus array stays strong, fighting against all odds to persevere through the reality maelstrom.

And with this lone Nexus array, a message is sent out to the Second Fleet of Atriol, warning them of a new danger...

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+110)[2](112)

The message is an automatic thing, inherent to the Nexus array.

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

Said 'young' visitor nods in agreement and grins. Yukari, for it was she, steps closer to Orn and bows slightly. "Hello Orn-sama. The feelings of home are quite nice, yes..."

"I apologize for having to be so abrupt, but there is a matter of great importance I must discuss with you. Perhaps we could do so inside...?"
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Kitra's eyes widen as she takes in the ships overhead. Carefully, calculatingly, Kitra takes in the battleships scanning the area for additional enemies.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+480)[494] spot
    (1d20+480)[485] search
    (1d20+480)[484] spellcraft
    (1d20+480)[490] psicraft
    (1d20+480)[487] appraise (tech-craft?)

Silently thin cracks begin to envelope her form. Running along cloth and skin alike the thin cracks form a large web of thin lines.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

4. - Top - End - #364

BlackDragon

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days ealier...

A chuckle reverberates through the old man enough so to jostle his beard some. Reaching a hand up to his chin he strokes the beard some as he turns his body around to look at the visitor with proper attention.
    "No need to apologize to a old fuddle dud like me. It would have to be of some kind of importance if you awaited my arrival at my home."
    Giving a wave to her to go ahead of him he starts walking with a slower gait then one would think possible for a dragon of his size and power, but more appropriate for his older man disguise. A few paces into he gives off a harrumph as he mutters something to himself, something along the lines of 'You needn't continue the charade at home you old bag of scales!' before taking his cane in his hand and walking like a human of a hundredth of his human disguise's age.

Entering the cave the female is talking to several others that are inside the cave, seemingly explaining about the happenings during their latest journey. By the sound of her voice she was greatly bored of it due to a lack of combat and excitement as it was another 'miracle-making' run. It doesn't take long for the entry tunnel to lead to a rather large cave that seems to of hollowed out the majority of the mountain. All along the perimeter are smaller caves and pathways where silver dragons of various sizes can be seen flying too and fro or humanoids walking. In the center is what seems to be a suspended egg of glowing crystal more then large enough to allow Orn and his fellow dragons to fit inside in their dragon forms. Heading towards the egg some small children come up offering what seems to be gems and rocks of various colors asking if their visitor would care for a bite.
    "Something I brought with me from my old world, nothing more then a simple candy of watered sugar that crystallizes. I believe some of the humanoids have taken to calling 'rock candy'. Feel free to have some, we are experimenting with flavors presently. Being dragons and all we don't have all the same likes and tastes as humanoids." Taking up a orange one he nibbles it some, "Just needs a bit more of a citrus flavor..."

Arriving to the egg its rather hollow and empty save the number of chairs and a table of carved wood to depict some scene of dragons more then likely a relic from Orn's old world. Taking a seat in a chair he makes himself comfortable. "Now then... What is it that your... I want to say 'your Master' as in a master/apprentice relationship but my old mind can't quite remember your connection to the Sonozaki Corporation... No matter! What is the matter you wish to discuss?"

Spoiler
    Show

Nothing too important to note...
    • True Seeing: All the humanoids (save the girl that rode Orn) present are also Silver dragons of various ages ranging from wyrmling to a single great wyrm along with Orn. Although I must point out that short of Epic True Seeing or deity powers, normal True Seeing can't see through Orn's disguise.
    • The Egg is nothing more then some sort of quartz-like crystal that was formed by hand and has multiple castings of Continual Flame-like spell.
    • There are other smaller weaker auras of magic here and about but to list them all when they are just for daily use such as a intercom system wouldn't interest you much.
    • Doubt there is a point to mentioning it, but Orn will have a special* Detect Evil, and a continuous Greater Arcane Sight up to analyze the guest.
    • Because I don't have my skill points totally allocated, and because I auto-20 on all Knowledge checks (don't need to be trained in all of them) I'm just going to go with 20+205 (Int mod) for all Knowledge checks on this girl.
    • Finally, yes, I choose to bring rock candy deal with it 8). Pick a flavor, any flavor. Just be careful, some aren't fruit-themed :P

*Special in that it...
    • Can determine whether target as Evil due to taint, arcane or profane energies, personality and actions, and/or subtype.
    • Can bypass alignment concealing effects such as undetectable alignment as long as succeeds on opposed caster level check
    • Range doubled
    • Learns all available information within 1 round and effect is always on.
    • Becomes extraordinary ability, can use even in antimagic fields.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

5. - Top - End - #365

PaladinGuy

The massive dragon grins.
    "So, fighting, eh? So glad somebody managed to get me a boost."
    The silver beast twists and turns, and it's scales begin glowing with a dark red light. It looks downwards towards the lightships, before flapping it's wings and shooting upwards to where the powerful blast of magic came from.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

6. - Top - End - #366

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

Smiling softly at the hospitality of the children, Yukari selects a bright green one and begins to nibble at it. "Hm, basil... Curious..."

She pulls a chair out of her pocket and sits down on it, facing Orn. "Hm, 'master' works, I guess. It's not exactly accurate, but it's pretty close." Nibble, nibble. "As for the matter that I need to discuss..."

With a small motion, a pendant on a chain comes sailing from her hand at the dragon-man. It's an elongated silver and red infinity symbol on a mithril and adamantine chain. "We have reason to believe that the Convention will come under attack. To prevent and/or mitigate this, I have been passing out these protective medallions. They will allow you access into our wards."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge on Yukari:
    She's relatively new to the scene, having only appeared after the War of Ages had finished. Some particularly insightful people have linked her voice to the Voice of the Fleet that the Sonozakis' used during the War, which would mean that she was the commander for the entire fleet, or at least the one who controlled the ships.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for?
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

7. - Top - End - #367

BlackDragon

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

Taking up the pendant in his gnarled hand he looks it over with his seemingly glowing cerulean eyes. Turning it one way then another, examing the workmanship and material he finally sets it down on the table draping the chain in a circle around the pendant.
    How curious... I assume I have to wear the pendant to gain its properties? If so then there might be a issue thanks to some era old promises I made. But then again there are ways around such use.

Turning his attention back to the the female he continues, "I'm going to assume that this is more of a courtesy warning along with a gift giving then anything else, as your master would undoubtedly know that I cannot offer extra protection outside of my personal services. Considering that you didn't specify the source of the attack or a confirmation its probably also safe to assume that the 'enemy' alluded the majority of your divinations and other such attempts."
    He falls silent for a moment as he thinks. A smile can be seen forming under his whiskers.
    "You do realize my 'daughter' will be incorrigible if she finds out out this attack? But it can't be helped I suppose... Is there anything else I should be made aware of?"

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge:
    Gotcha, more or less what I expected him to know at least.

Nah, not really. I'm sure that she eludes his blindsight/mindsight/I forgot some of his other senses enough that she will definitely ping enough as not being 'normal' That and its better safe then sorry to mention those extra senses to see if I can ping some magic on her or any semblance of evil.

For the pendant:
    Using an inherent Identify/Greater Arcane Sight to see what nice little things it has.

8. - Top - End - #368

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

"Actually, you just have to keep it with you," replies Yukari with a shrug. "We try to make our defenses as user-friendly as possible."

"They have indeed."
    she nods and sighs. Nibble nibble. "We don't expect you to bring anything extra beyond yourself and whoever else would like to attend."

"Oh, I know she'll enjoy it. I'm actually rather expecting her to help if we're attacked."
    A small pensive look appears on her face. "Oh, by the way, how did you guys make this candy? It's quite delicious." Nibble nibble.

Spoiler
    Show
    She registers as nothing under anything but visual senses (sight, true seeing, etc). Everything else you have is telling you that there is, in fact nothing there.

Think of any spell/power that boosts the hardness/durability or otherwise protects an object from destruction. It's on there. That, and arcane mark.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

[Ostia - Spire Stage Area]

Jena blinks as the wards collapse, eyes widening as the ships streak in from all round, her face a deathly pale as if she recognises them. But then...no. Her face clears, expression turning cold and deadly, and those around her hear her whisper a few, very soft words. You recognise them at least in part, alike to the words that she has spoken already, but the understanding is muddled and confused. The intonation however, is very clear.

She looks over at Akira, sparing a pitying glance for Yukari, opens her mouth - and is cut off abruptly by flurry of beams tearing into the stadium around you. Titania vanishes into roiling column of blazing white fury, the lance of annihilation blasting the stage into less than dust - and her apparently with it. Entire sections of seating, filled and unfilled, as well as instruments by the hundred, vanish into the ravening maws of destruction.

Further out, you see the ships beginning to spin, a fresh flurry of blasts leaping away from them as they do so. Platforms vanish in bolts of fury, dragons fall screaming from the skies as the deadly beams puncture scale, flesh and bone, and fire leaps unbidden into being all across the Spire as the entire structure shakes. Looking down over the now perfectly cut edge before you, you can see a great circle of magic spinning into existence at the base of the tower. Runes of sharply white radiance trace out from the forming construct of magic - and all of you feel the ripple in the very fabric of Atriol as the whirling disc on the ground condenses into close-to-identifiable form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Planes) please. As a note, the circle looks like this.

That circle at the center? The really small one? That's the base of the Spire.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-01-30 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

10. - Top - End - #370

BlackDragon

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

"All the same, I'm sure by leaving it with my hoard I should still be able to confer any magic it can bestow on me without actually having it on my person. I thank you and your master for your consideration and thoughtful gift all the same."

Conjuring up a plate of more candies he shifts through them before taking certain colors, seemingly looking for certain flavors. "Good, good... My daughter and myself were all I planned on bringing, as my reply to your invitation stated." lifting up his cane he chuckles a little, "Unless of course you wish to confiscate a old man's cane as a possible weapon of course. My daughter on the other hand... You'll have to talk to her about relinquishing her bow or spear, albeit she has a habit of conjuring them when needed."

Almost at the mention of the female, foot steps can be heard as the raven haired warrioress strides in. Her mask seemingly made of bones and carved to the semblance of a falcon complete with feathers conceals her face. Her cloths are mostly just enough to cover her chest and her loins, preferring to show her muscled tanned skin along with the tattoos detailing stories of her greatest hunts. Going over to stand next to Orn she leans on the back of his chair while looking down at the older man and keeping the visitor within her field of vision.
    "Ah, Caillech my daughter. It seems that your boredom will be alleviated in due time after all. Our guest was kind enough to give us warning of a possible attack on the convention we were going to attend."
    Caillech remains silent, but the aura of excitement and eagerness can be felt across the room even before you can see her muscles tense.

Another hearty chuckle escapes the old man.
    "Nothing special really, why I'm surprised others haven't learned its secret before now. It's mostly a process of getting the right amount of sugar mixed with water and flavoring. Followed by allowing the sugar to re-crystallize it forms a crystal-like shape while retaining the flavor. Anyone with access to sugar and a knowledge of flavor making can replicate it."
    Taking out a slip of paper, and conjuring a small sack he fills the bag with the candy along with the paper. Flicking his finger the sack levitates over to her.
    "A small token with a copy of my recipe for you to take home to your master. I'm sure you both will find a use for it during your convention."

11. - Top - End - #371

[Ostia - Top of the Spire]

Wincing at the explosions around him, Akira turns to Jena and calls out, "I'm going to get reinforcements and to get the Spire out of here. You, Kitra-dono and Yukari-chan need to get off this platform into the air."

He glances to Yukari, who has just begun to recover from her agony. He raises an eyebrow and she nods back, once. And then, Akira disappears.

Spoiler
    Show
    Persistent Temporal Acceleration:

0h0m: Fly speed 800', using run action, fly out of the 7.5 mi radius suppression field. 17 rounds.

0h1.7m: Plane shift out to Material Plane, near the Sonozaki Second Fleet. Standard action.

0h1.8m: Teleport to the bridge of the Fleet's flagship. Standard action.

0h1.9m: Write a detailed description of everything witnessed about the suppression field and lightships and give deployment orders to the fleet admiral. Marked [URGENT]. Around 10 minutes.

0h11.9m: Plane shift to Finalis Invio, the Atriol giant storage plane. Standard action.

0h12m: Get a Nexus array and cast it on Akira 20 times.

0h22m: Plane shift to Tenebris Lux, the Atriol industrial plane. Standard action.

0h22.1m: Write orders to deploy 80 squads (6 ea, 480 troops total) of Aegis soldiers and to cast at least 20 Nexuses to various foci around their bodies. Around 10 minutes.

0h32.1m: Plane shift to Material Plane, near a random Strike Force that's within the atmosphere of the Atriol home planet Khaedor. Standard action.

0h32.2m: Write orders to catch the Spire using antigravity fields. Around 10 minutes.

0h42.2m: Plane shift to Finalis Invio, Standard action.

0h42.3m: Collect (via wish and logistics technology)

0h42.2m: Plane shift to the base of the Spire. Standard action.

0h42.3m: Use synchronicity (twin, linked), synchronicity (twin, linked, quicken) and move earth (via wish) to clear out a space underneath the Spire that is unaffected by the suppression field. The power points used are being drained from a dreamcatcher EI. The suppression field only reaches halfway down the Spire (the former being 7.5 mi radius and the latter being 15 mi high). 7h51.3m.

8h33.6m: Plane shift to Finalis Invio. Standard action.

8h33.7m: Plane shift to Tenebris Lux. Standard action.

8h33.8m: Gather an extremely large force of construction bots. Around 1 hour.

9h33.8m: Plane shift to Ostia, under the Spire, with the construction bots. Order them to build a giant portal to right above the aforementioned Strike Force. 12 hours.

21h33.8m: Rest to regain use limited abilities and PP. 2h0.1m.

23h44.8m: Fly up to the lightships. At least one Nexus stays on, via the laws of probability. 15m.

23h59.8m: Draw swords. Move action.

23h59.9m: Twirl. Priceless. (for everything else, there's MasterCard. )

24h00m: Temporal acceleration, end.

And an instant later, he reappears in front of the lightships, a small grin on his face. "Well then," he comments. "Let's see what you've got, ne?"

Ever so slowly, the Spire begins to fall down into the portal...

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

Yukari shrugs and gives Orn a deadpan look. "You can keep your weapons. It's not like we can't stop you from fighting. Or just remove anyone who tries."

Turning to see the new arrival, she raises an eyebrow at her relatively lack of clothes. The short girl chuckles and winks. "Oh, hello Caillech-chan! Excited at the prospect of battle, are we? Don't get too cocky, alright?"

She giggles and catches the sack & recipe. "Oh, thank you! I will be sure to use this well."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Jena opens her mouth to say something, but Akira vanishes before she can even start to pronounce the first word. She curses mentally as the man reappears far above them, already calling to her blades - those that had truly never failed her - and wincing as the pattern below them explodes with fury.

Yukari screams again, the cry of agony sounding high and long as the pattern of magic miles below reaches into her already battered mind and shatters it. Her form comes apart, vanishing into nothingness, and her presence all across the Spire simply ceases to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yukari is Banned from the plane of Ostia. As in; Sigil, Lady of Pain, Banned.

And as Akira appears out of his day out of time, the same weave of circles and light stretches out its influence and - reaching through the chronic instability of the maelstrom - unleashes a fragment of itself through the fabric of time to worm its way into his mind as he flees the frozen Spire.

And he, too, doubles over in agony as the manyfold effects of the, for lack of a better term, planar virus burns a terrible wound into his psyche. A tiny fraction of the same power escapes his mind, snaking out from his body and then arcing down through the item responsible for his long absence from the timeline, shattering it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reduce all of your stats to a flat 10 for the rest of this encounter. Bonuses from all sources are negated by this effect.

The item that was used to create the persisted temporal acceleration is annihilated.

For her part, Jena darts frantically across the falling platform, gathering up everyone still alive and ensuring their safety, then going hurtling upwards. Her form ripples, fire racing across it, and the mask of nonthingness all about her peels back. Light shatters through the maelstrom, the very nature of not-quite-reality trying to fight that which has no place being within it and neither side triumphing in their struggle.

And then her very essence blurs and she becomes a line of solid blue flame, a blazing lance aimed at the furthest out vessel of the fleet. And her voice echoes across the fleet, booming loud and clear over miles.

"Face me, cowards who hide in your ships of stolen Light! I am a Warden of all that is. And you shall never triumph whilst I still live!"
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

13. - Top - End - #373

BlackDragon

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

Orn simply nods his head with the smile still hidden under his beard.
    Too true, too true...

A voice that sounds as old as the moon, yet young like beginning of night seems to come from behind the hawk mask as the female places a hand down to her waist letting her hip stick out some more resting the and on it.
    Well met, Amháin ann nach. While a battle does get this one's blood boiling...
    Removing her hand from her hip the half revealed canine skulls resting on nearly bear-sized wolves appear at her side. One of them clearly the Alpha and the biggest standing a little over her waist at its shoulder compared to her much taller stature. She rests her hand on top of the largest's skull.
    ..It is the hunt that truly excites this huntress.

Petting one of the other hounds, Orn nods his head at her accepting the gift.
    "I'm sure you will do much better then what I have, considering you'll have much more 'normal' standards to go by in comparison. Would you believe most humans don't seem to enjoy flavors like liver for example despite how much we dragons do?"
    Orn starts getting up from his seat as he throws rather 'meaty' colored pieces of candy off to the side which attracts the pack's attention before they pounce on the sugary treats. Giving a side glance once more to his guest Orn gives a final shake of the head at the sight he's witnessing before looking to his guest once more.
    "Will that be all for your visit young lady?"

Spoiler
    Show

Tongues Translation: Caillech more or less called you 'Non existent one' more or less. Being called one by a huntress as herself can be thought of as a compliment I'm sure.

Don't think it would be too hard for you to make the Knowledge check of min ~32 for an average version for a Hound of the Hunt which are what Caillech's hounds are despite them being much bigger and stronger looking.

14. - Top - End - #374

PaladinGuy

Dodoran grins. What a show! Now, who owes me...
    Focusing his will, the dragon pulls, straining to bring allies from around the area towards him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    summoning 64 pit fiends- going to assume level+ability check, so (1d20+93)[107]
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

With a slight exclamation of "Oh, my" the lattice of cracks rippling across her form continue to branch out, distorting her form as if she herself were made of a giant looking glass, now reflecting it's self in infinite repetitions. Suddenly with a soft melody of chimes a thousand small shards fall, only to be swept up by the wind. Elsewhere, where Arrasil Sah Kallathar sat sipping tea on one of the many disks floating above the tower, countless Kitras appear, dancing and weaving from one point and quickly coating the whole of the platform with their swaying motion.

Spoiler
    Show

Well f the number of attacks can be hidden by numbers, I suppose how many of me there are can be hidden the same way

Arcane sight reveals body outside body, though nothing indicating how they got there.
    Last edited by drack; 2013-02-04 at 03:49 PM.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

16. - Top - End - #376

[Floating Mountain]
    Several days earlier...

"Indeed," agrees Yukari with a grin. "The hunt is an exhilarating experience."

She nods and bows to Orn, chirping. "Thank you again for this gift, Orn-sama! And of course, most people prefer flavors they're used to. I would probably enjoy liver, though..."

"And yes, that concludes my official duties."
    She grins at Caillech and gives her a cute smile. "Now then, Caillech-chan... Perhaps you would indulge a little girl's curiosity and give me a duel?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

The Lightships hover in place, light spinning into being around their weapons once more. And then their weapons speak again, a flurry of light erupting from their lower decks and striking down at the lower levels of the Spire. Light explodes around the still falling levels, ripping them apart.

Their other weapons hold steady, the Maelstrom rippling around them, standing ready for whatever might come.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Spire takes 6,314,000 damage.

And far below, the massive pattern of light blazes with unearthly glory. And even from so far away, you see thousands of dots blink into being all across the circle, reinforcements shifting in from - presumably - other planes - although you can't identify their source.
    Show

<struck dumb>

18. - Top - End - #378

Yukari shatters, Akira is in pain, and the Spire is under attack!

Glancing over at the Spire, the beleaguered scientist takes in a deep breath and whispers a single potent word, sounding familiar, but unknowable, carrying the sound across the entire plane. With a shimmer, the entirety of the Spire and its inhabitants (minus the PCs those who wish to help fighting), is simply removed from the area.

Then, the Sonozaki Second Fleet opens fire. Bolts of searing radiance, enormous metal shells, torrents of ice and fire, tear across the few miles between the edge of the suppression field and the lightships, impacting in flawless shots against the glowing hulls.

Spoiler
    Show
    An (Ex) effect that is similar to wish. Used to rewrite the world such that, no, the Spire is not in Ostia. It is in fact now located on a colony planet of Atriol. This may or may not be blocked by the reality maelstrom thing. Your decision, I suppose...

All actual attack rolls from the fleet are natural 20s from surge of fortune. Then there are a bunch of Reflex half things. Damage types are: piercing, "radiant", "arcane", sonic, electricity, fire, cold (in order of relative magnitude).

As for damage amounts, suffice to say, I did a rough calculation for just a few of the weapons on the 20 dreadnoughts, and it was at 1 billion before I had even gotten halfway through. Those things had better have some pretty good immunities...
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-02-19 at 03:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Akira's word echoes widely across the area, wrapping around the Spire as if preparing to lift if away. But before it can complete its echoing syllables, the word turns sour in the air, the Maelstrom sending cracks racing through its unknowable majesty. The inhabitants of the Spire do vanish, in fact. The Spire, however, does not. Akira has a brief moment to hope that the wish was kind enough to not place them all in the air - or that enough of them had the ability to prevent horrible death via falling - before the Fleet opens fire. And then...something he did not expect.

The Maelstrom explodes outwards as the weapons hit it, seeking out and out and out towards the fleet firing on its - now pretty much confirmed - masters. The ice and fire vanish in guttering flares, and as the shells and radiance slash in, something very strange happens.

Tens of thousands of the dots far below hurl themselves upwards, at such speed that it almost makes his head spin, interposing themselves between the shells and the ships they are aimed at. Light tears across the battlezone facing the Second Fleet, tens - no, hundreds - of thousands of portals blazing into being before the shells aimed at them And those same portals erupt all around the Spire. There is, perhaps, just enough time to curse. And then the shells slam into the Spire, their attacks perfect, and explode in searing spits of deadly light. And when it clears, the Spire is simply...gone.

But that, unfortunately, is not the worst of it. The Lightships shimmer in the air, turning almost translucent, and the beams of radiant light simply pass straight through them, leaving no trace of damage. And the Lightships don't even bother to fire back, seeming quite content to let the Maelstrom wreak its havoc on these new, quasi-technological foes as it reaches - and subsequently envelops - the entire Second Fleet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Over a billion you said? Well, I think the Spire's pretty much dust at this point then.

Wish is mostly blocked - although in a rather amusing manner - and...well.

The Second Fleet is now within the Reality Maelstrom. Effects as previously mentioned.

Jena, the line of blue fire now blazing in the warping presence of the Maelstrom, vanishes into the heart of the flagship as it ripples in concert with its fellows, and she does not reemerge as it solidifies.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-02-19 at 09:16 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

20. - Top - End - #380

As the Second Fleet is enveloped, the air shimmers around them, and they hang in the sky, flickers of light and energy rippling throughout the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    So what's the affected area of the Maelstrom now? Is it all the way out to the fleet, or just 7.5 mi radius + fleet area?

Glaring around his surroundings, Akira gives the lead lightship the barest glance as Jena swoops in. He turns his head upwards to see his troops hovering, then nods. "Operation is active. Go now."

They seem to flicker out of the sky, before appearing with a flash to surround the lightships in a particulated globe of black helmeted figures. And as one, two glowing blades extend from small silver cylinders in each hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, lightsabers. Not actual lightsabers, just fluffed as such. Really just standard longswords.

Anyway, they used a time stop effect to travel down the 8 or so miles. They started from outside of the maelstrom, so they should be fine.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Kitra smirks on her island ready to defend against any attack. "Dearest host." She calls out, "Would you like to commission CUP to aid you in the defense of your convention?"

22. - Top - End - #382

Giving Kitra a deadpan stare, Akira sighs before giving a wry smile. "Why yes, my dear, I do believe that would be a most lovely idea."
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-02-27 at 11:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Why yes it is, isn't it? Tell me dear, would you like to join me for negotiation?

24. - Top - End - #384

Drifting down to Kitra's level, Akira grins. "With pleasure. Name a starting price, would you dear?"

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

"Vary well." For a moment the Kitra double pats her pockets checking her sword and buckler. "Well it seems I own a sword, a shield, and all of creation to do with as I will. I suppose you could be counted on to gather a mere three captives of my choice in this battle, and I suppose I would have you help me capture a scarlet clover as well. That would be for me alone though."

Spoiler
    Show

Scarlet clover was the character I made before we had to re-recruit team good. I suppose it'll suffice as a quick campaign type bit (and as a bit of a challenge if snow disappointing on the captive side) but, while erring on the strong side power-wise she's a level 23 gestalt chair. (Maybe there was 3 free LA too or something)

Public fluff from back then:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Far far up on the hill (though nobody seems to know which hill), there lives a mean old witch refereed to all as the Scarlet Clover. It is said she existed before time it's self, and that she will exist for the rest of it."
    Impatiently the lad prodded the old man "yes, yes, we all know that, but why is it that he is called the Red Clover?"
    "Yes, why's she called the Red Clover sir?" the young lass half his height asked.
    My how the youngster were impatient these days. "Now look, names are not to be flung about, why naming the witch thrace has likely already got her eye on us." Fidgeting slightly the man informs the air "No worries fair madam, I'm sure no harm is meant. Please spare us humble folk." Feeling his head as if to affirm that it was still there the man continued.
    "Now, the name comes from a vary old tale that your parents are probably better off not knowing that I told you. Now this story starts in a once enchanted woods. No, no, not the enchanted woods of faery tales, a dark place filled with aged fine laced with spikes as large as a man's hand. Now deep within these woods the foul witch had been imprisoned-"
    "Wait, how is the witch already caught?"
    "That's not how stories go silly"
    Indigently the old man adjusted his hat, something he had taken to doing when his feathers were ruffled. "Well it is how this one goes, now do you want to hear it, or insult the evil witch to her face by disbelieving this tail?"
    Silently the children swallowed, trying in vain to look frightfully in every direction at once.
    "Yes, now where was I... Oh yes, so long ago the witch had been bound to this wood. For you see the witch herself is immortal, having long since used her magics to put herself beyond death. Well it just so happened that a thousand years later when tale of this witch had become scares as feathers on a hair a young prince Ale was on the march with his army ridding the world of the stupidest evils the man could find. well naturally he decided that the hedges were too prickly, so he set his whole army to cutting the thorny vine of witches gate. As the vines snapped the ancient druedic magic that held the witch began to wane, and slowly the witch and her followers were free. It took under an hour for them to kill their rescuers and torch the forest they had resided in for so long. Afterwards a long war ensued-"
    "'cuse me sir, but what of the tale of the valiant prince Ale, and his heroic yet hopeless battle against the treacherous witch?"
    "Honestly kid he was toast the second he came within seven leagues of the place, now after the prince was defeated his father was enraged and wished the vengeance of every god upon her head-"
    "So he dueled her heroically?"
    "No child, stop interrupting me, the king was too old and plump to fight by then. Now, the king went about sacrificing to every god he heard a lick of, and gathering armies from across the planes so plentiful that they could have matched even the most ancient of the dragons. But despite what the king threw, and how much blood coated her the witch stayed as firmly rooted to her hill as a field of clovers, hardly even stirring in the wind. It is said that she stayed on that hill for two hundred year repelling any force that swept towards her before one day the hill it's self vanished. Now none know where it is that the dreaded witch lives, but one thing can be said for her. If ever she is found it will be in a field of red rooted to that spot just as firmly as she has stood for the past eight melenia, and that is how the Scarlet Clover earned her name."
    Suddenly the lad gave a start as he noticed that his trousers were sodden... at the end of that story... at the end of the story... something...something had flashed in his mind. No, that was no woman, it couldn't be, face hard enough that it couldn't be shaped by the hammer of the strongest smith... and that dry red crust that coated all but her scarlet eye that starred with the intensity of one who would stand back up from her grave magic or no, dress billowing in the wind in time to h rapidly speeding heartbeat... even recalling it his pants felt wetter, and somehow he didn't feel ashamed of that fact.

Last edited by drack; 2013-03-09 at 05:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386

Sonozaki Akira

Shrugging, Akira nods. "So long as these captives of yours aren't part of Atriol and I don't have prior commitments to them, I'll be glad to help."

"And Scarlet Clover, you say? That's a rather high prestige target you've got for me... Shouldn't be too much of a problem though."

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

It shouldn't at all for one so large and strong as you. Kitra replies holding out her hand to shake.

28. - Top - End - #388

Sonozaki Akira

Snorting slightly, Akira mutters under his breath, "Strength is irrelevant..."

But nonetheless, he reaches out to shake Kitra's hand.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

As thy shake twenty of the other Kitras gain mind blank.

30. - Top - End - #390

Most of the other Kitras should already have mind blank, amongst other myriad buffs, if they are within 1000' of the sphere of soldiers.