New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default How does a totemist get 16 attacks?

I'm not seeing it. Read through the handbook and just cant fit it together, so could someone explain to me how a totemist can get 16 ranged attacks at highest attack bonus?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How does a totemist get 16 attacks?

Sixteen ranged attacks? All at full accuracy?

Well, let's go with sixteen melee attacks. That's easy enough to convert to ranged.

Now, is it pure totemist? Warshaper? Any particular race? Whoever told you this might be misreading how Skarn spines work.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Sixteen ranged attacks? Probably from gratuitous use of Manticore Belt, but I'm kind of having trouble figuring out how one could invest sixteen essentia into a single soulmeld.

4. - Top - End - #4

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=583

Last sentence of the 3rd paragraph is where its stated, but no description of how.

So whats the highest amount of attacks you can get from a totemist if that is not correct? Highest in ranged and highest in melee?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You can fling 6 Manticore spines in one action at level 20, but I can't figure out 16. 6x2=12 if you've got a Belt of Battle. Other ways to get extra standards?

6. - Top - End - #6

A 20th level totemist could have up to 6 essentia in the manticore belt. Expanded soulmeld capacity increases that to 7 essentia. I'm guessing there is another way that I'm not seeing to put an 8th essentia into the belt and then a way to get a second standard action?

7. - Top - End - #7

Ok, belt of battle gets us up to 14. Still missing one more essentia into the belt.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Splitting Necklace of Natural Attacks?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Manticore belt on Totem bind.

At 20th level: Base 4 essentia into Totem, +2 capacity from class features, +1 capacity from expanded soulmeld capacity. 7 total essentia investment.

Level 20 class feature: totem embodiment effectively doubles your essentia capacity for your totem. Lasts a number of minutes equal to your Con modifier. 14 total capacity.

Belt of Battle: 1 extra standard action.

Result: 28 ranged attacks at full BAB once a day.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Incarnum Focus item (waist), maybe?
    Last edited by Telonius; 2012-11-03 at 10:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Incarnum Focus item (waist), maybe?
    It would have to be incarnum focus item (totem), which doesn't exist

Edit: Actually, no, this works. The incarnum focus adds to the capacity of the soulmeld, not the chakra. So, as long as you could also bind your maticore belt to your waist as well as your totem (double totem bind at level 11), you can get its capacity up to 8.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2012-11-03 at 10:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

That is different than what the handbook says, but quite a bit better! And it is activate the level 20 ability 1/day, duration is 1 minute per con bonus. So it would easily be a full fight you would have 28*(d6+1/2 str).

Too bad it does not come online until 20th level =(

With belt of battle even at lower levels you'd have semi decent blasting out of that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Level 20 class feature: totem embodiment effectively doubles your essentia capacity for your totem. Lasts a number of minutes equal to your Con modifier. 14 total capacity.
    Right, Totem Embodiment. Of course. They were probably assuming that, and just miscalculated.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Male

Use your soulmelds to get a ton of melee attacks and then go bloodstorm blade?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

It would have to be incarnum focus item (totem), which doesn't exist.
    I am a bit new to Incarnum, but sounds a little murky to me. From what I'm reading, Soulmelds bound to the Totem chakra don't actually occupy the Totem chakra (in the case of Manticore Belt, it would occupy the waist). So wouldn't something something making the Waist chakra have a bigger capacity, also (indirectly) affect Waist-occupying soulmelds that are bound to the Totem?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I am a bit new to Incarnum, but sounds a little murky to me. From what I'm reading, Soulmelds bound to the Totem chakra don't actually occupy the Totem chakra (in the case of Manticore Belt, it would occupy the waist). So wouldn't something something making the Waist chakra have a bigger capacity, also (indirectly) affect Waist-occupying soulmelds that are bound to the Totem?
    I was thinking that, but we need belt of battle to pull this off. Of course, I think that explains where the original author got his numbers from.

He was useing incarnum focus (waist) which increases the essentia by one. So we have 4 base, two for totemist, 1 for incarnum focus, and one from expanded soulmeld capacity. He's useing totem chakra bind (double bind) to bind the manticore belt to both waist and totem chakra. That gives him 8 essentia, and then totem embodiement to double it for 16 attacks.

I like 7 attacks and belt of battle more =)
    Maybe get your gm to let you have a ring of battle instead of belt of battle... or combine belt of battle with the incarnum focus. That would net you 32 attacks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I'm not seeing it. Read through the handbook and just cant fit it together, so could someone explain to me how a totemist can get 16 ranged attacks at highest attack bonus?
    Manticore belt with expanded essentia capacity feat and the totemist class ability giving extra capacity to totem chakra. At lvl 20 that's 8 spines on the manticore belt. Extra double chakra so you can wear a belt of battle, there's 16. THEN pick up an amulet of nat attacks and put the splitting enhancement on it. That's 32 ranged attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    THEN pick up an amulet of nat attacks and put the splitting enhancement on it. That's 32 ranged attacks.
    As the spines from the manitcore belt totem bind are not natural attacks, how does that work?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

As the spines from the manitcore belt totem bind are not natural attacks, how does that work?
    Ohh yea. Iunno I've seen a build similar to this before where they added it. I think if you do some *special* favors for your DM it could slide by.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2012-11-03 at 11:05 PM.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

20. - Top - End - #20

How would dips affect this? I dont know the rules on thayan gladiator, but it it supposed to be able to increase the number of natural attacks. Would a couple level dip get you to 2x natural attacks? You'd lose the level 20 capstone, but much earlier have more attacks?

Factotum would take 8 levels. You'd lose a lot to gain a couple extra actions a day.

Any other ideas to max out the number of attacks?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    How would dips affect this? I dont know the rules on thayan gladiator, but it it supposed to be able to increase the number of natural attacks. Would a couple level dip get you to 2x natural attacks? You'd lose the level 20 capstone, but much earlier have more attacks?

Factotum would take 8 levels. You'd lose a lot to gain a couple extra actions a day.

Any other ideas to max out the number of attacks?
    Font of Inspiration x10 plus 12 levels of totemist? SO MANY STANDARD ACTIONS. Essentia capacity is based off of HD, yeessss.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2012-11-03 at 11:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

How are you guys wearing Incarnum Focus (waist), Manticore Belt, and a Belt of Battle all at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    How are you guys wearing Incarnum Focus (waist), Manticore Belt, and a Belt of Battle all at the same time?
    Split Chakra... wait... no um... be a creature with two Waists, like a Dvati, and Extra Item Space (if your DM lets a spine. The feat obviously and strangely racist towards creatures with multiple backs.)
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Male

Split Chakra... wait... no um... be a creature with two Waists, like a Dvati, and Extra Item Space (if your DM lets a spine. The feat obviously and strangely racist towards creatures with multiple backs.)
    So a beast with four backs is better off than one with only two?

I like this daisy-train of thought.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Split Chakra an using a custom belt that combines Incarnum Focus (waist) and Belt of Battle?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    So a beast with four backs is better off than one with only two?

I like this daisy-train of thought.
    I don't know. I've always been told the more backs a beast has, the better. For sneak attack reasons, obviously.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Split Chakra an using a custom belt that combines Incarnum Focus (waist) and Belt of Battle?
    If you're going to homebrew, you can get as many attacks as you want, so what's the point in that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Well I can get 18 melle attacks with Dervish quite easily, though not all at full BAB
    BAB 16+, TWF, ITWF, GTWF, Haste, Slashing Fury for 9 and then A Thousand Cuts doubles that; only 1/day however.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you're going to homebrew, you can get as many attacks as you want, so what's the point in that?
    Combining the effects of two magic items are a part of the standard magic item creation rules in the DMG and in the MiC(pg 233)
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Well I can get 18 melle attacks with Dervish quite easily, though not all at full BAB
    BAB 16+, TWF, ITWF, GTWF, Haste, Slashing Fury for 9 and then A Thousand Cuts doubles that; only 1/day however.
    Anyone up for some Time Stands Still?