New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Do I qualify?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Do I qualify?

If I was a Lesser Tiefling, could I use the CL of my Darkness SLA to qualify for Item Creation feats?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Do I qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    If I was a Lesser Tiefling, could I use the CL of my Darkness SLA to qualify for Item Creation feats?
    Personally, I wouldn't allow it. There's too many items that don't require a spell to be cast over the creation period. It opens the door to a tiefling fighter making, for example, +5 shields.

Now, I can see an argument for epic blacksmiths and smithy-warriors making magic arms and armour, but that's a separate issue of brokenness, which isn't fixed by allowing tieflinsg specifically to do such things.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would lean towards No for crafting with SLA as the feats want "caster levels " which it says are

"caster level: A measure of the power with which a spellcaster
    casts a spell. Generally, a spell’s caster level is the spellcaster’s class
    level."
    That said I'm sure warlocks can craft stuff once they hit level 12 so errrr maybe.

Sorry for being less then helpful.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

In fear of my analysis getting invalidated by more knowledgeable people I will err on the side that you qualify.

From Here

To create magic items, spellcasters use special feats. They invest time, money, and their own personal energy (in the form of experience points) in an item’s creation.

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).
    From Here

A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell:
    So if a magic item specifically needs darkness you are covered.

Here we have

Craft Magic Arms And Armor [Item Creation]
    Prerequisite

Caster level 5th.
    Note that it doesn't specify arcane or divine caster level so your darkness caster level is ok.
    A comparison would be shadowcasters, who don't have an arcane or divine caster level, however they can qualify for Item creation feats.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    So if a magic item specifically needs darkness you are covered.
    this basically.
    E.g. With Craft Wand you could make a Wand of Darkness.

Though IIRC there are rules about casters co-operating to make stuff, so your feat might not be a total waste.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I know I couldn't make anything without help; that's not the point.

I'm trying to grab some prereqs without being a caster, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!