New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

biggrin A few random RAW questions...

Maybe this should go in the RAW sticky thread but I doubt there is a clear answer and I'd like to hear about any workable houserules used by you lot.

Fight to the bitter end: Is there any class ability/feat/spell (but not race dependent) that allows someone to take real damage rather then sub duel? Logic being there are some people (and even more so in a very Good V Evil game like D&D) who would rather die then be captured by their enemies. Is there any RAW that stops a person being knocked out/easily knocked out?

Ah-HA! Magic is that way! Other then hiding stuff behind Lead/think stone and such. Is there a way to make a spell not glow under detect magic/arcane sight? Make magic items not glow of magic or illusion walls glow with illusion school? Meta magic or ability though more for permanent enchanted things rather then one off spells.

Go for the EYES BOO! Can't seem to find rules for aiming for body parts other then hydra heads. PC wanted to know if they could hack off an evil dragons wings (sunder) mid fight so it couldn't fly away.

If no clear RAW answers for these any half workable homebrew suggestions would be welcome

Cheers Playgrounders!
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A few random RAW questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    Ah-HA! Magic is that way! Other then hiding stuff behind Lead/think stone and such. Is there a way to make a spell not glow under detect magic/arcane sight? Make magic items not glow of magic or illusion walls glow with illusion school? Meta magic or ability though more for permanent enchanted things rather then one off spells.
    Magic aura will do it.

Go for the EYES BOO! Can't seem to find rules for aiming for body parts other then hydra heads. PC wanted to know if they could hack off an evil dragons wings (sunder) mid fight so it couldn't fly away.
    As far as I know, there are no called shots in 3.5e. There are some ambush feats that do similar things, but no RAW way to hack off dragon wings.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ah yes I had forgotten Nystul's magic aura makes things like UN-magical as well. I guess that with a permanency would be what both my PC's and NPC's want :P

"Called shots"? Is that a Pathfinder thing? If so a page and book would be very welcome
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Fight to the bitter end: Is there any class ability/feat/spell (but not race dependent) that allows someone to take real damage rather then sub duel? Logic being there are some people (and even more so in a very Good V Evil game like D&D) who would rather die then be captured by their enemies. Is there any RAW that stops a person being knocked out/easily knocked out?
    I was thinking 'bout the frenzied berserker's deathless frenzy. But I suppose you can end your frenzy with positive HP, but "negative" nonletal damage...

Edit: with a contingency spell, you can easily choose to die, if someone beats you unconscious.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-11-05 at 06:25 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I think that there is a way to become immune to non lethal, Bone Knight perhaps ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Called shots"? Is that a Pathfinder thing? If so a page and book would be very welcome
    I don't think it's in Pathfinder, but it was something that existed in older editions of D&D. It might have been just an optional rule back then, too, I'm not sure.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I don't think it's in Pathfinder, but it was something that existed in older editions of D&D. It might have been just an optional rule back then, too, I'm not sure.
    Correct on both counts. There were several iterations of called-shot rules in D&D's earlier editions; none of them were hugely successful because it's very difficult to craft such a rule that doesn't defeat the purpose of the AC system, hit points, or both.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Called shots: optional rule in AD&D from 1E UA onwards.
    They never saw all that much use, but YMMV
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Called shots are in the same book as gunslinger for pf

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

My group uses them, but it might be slightly different in rules of past editions than how we use them

Essentially, -4 on attack roll to attack body part ( even chop off head ). Assuming hands, arms, feet, etc. were targeted instead of head AND assuming that you didn't chop it off, more damage meant higher penalties for trying to use that body part. Other possible side effects were in accordance to weapon used and damage done.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

homebrew feat:

Sunder limb (Fighter)
    Prerequisites: improved sunder
    benefit: you can make a sunder attempt against the limbs and head of a creature,as normal. use the creatures full normal AC against the attack roll, but treat a limb as 2 size categories smaller than the creature, and the head as 3 size categories smaller. a limb or head has HP equal to 1/5 of the creature's, and successfully severing it deals 1/2 the limb's HP to the creature.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    homebrew feat:

Sunder limb (Fighter)
    Prerequisites: improved sunder
    benefit: you can make a sunder attempt against the limbs and head of a creature,as normal. use the creatures full normal AC against the attack roll, but treat a limb as 2 size categories smaller than the creature, and the head as 3 size categories smaller. a limb or head has HP equal to 1/5 of the creature's, and successfully severing it deals 1/2 the limb's HP to the creature.
    So for a 3 or so penalty to hit you can both behead a guy and maintain him alive!

13. - Top - End - #13

medium creature's head has a +4 AC over the creature itself. also, removing the head generally kills the creature unless they either have regeneration or they don't need their head. the losing HP for lost limbs was meant for arms/legs/wings/tails, not usually heads.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

14. - Top - End - #14

medium creature's head has a +4 AC over the creature itself. also, removing the head generally kills the creature unless they either have regeneration or they don't need their head. the losing HP for lost limbs was meant for arms/legs/wings/tails, not usually heads.
    I know :p But just you wait until RAW lovers pop.
    Plus, +4 ac for instakill is really, really, really, REALLY cheap.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

This is what I was talking about when I said that called shot systems usually invalidate AC, HP, or both. In this case, for a penalty that's less than an iterative attack I get to treat every opponent as if it has only 20% of its normal hit points. That is almost always going to be worth the penalty, making hit points largely irrelevant for all but the most heavily-armored opponents.

16. - Top - End - #16

HP is largely meaningless anyway. anyone trying to kill you with HP damage is going to do enough damage to kill you in a single round, or possibly even a single attack. that's just a bug of the 3.5 system.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

HP is largely meaningless anyway. ...
    They are with this houserule, who needs a Vorpel weapon ?

Restricting it to Monk only would turn around that class.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

HP is largely meaningless anyway. anyone trying to kill you with HP damage is going to do enough damage to kill you in a single round, or possibly even a single attack. that's just a bug of the 3.5 system.
    This is only true at certain levels of op, and can arguably be remedied to some extent with houserules. Exacerbating the problem with houserules, though, seems highly undesirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

19. - Top - End - #19

he wanted either official rules, or failing that, homebrew, that allowed limbs to be severed. i gave him a feat that did so. that it falls into the same problems as every other rule, feat, or class feature that tries to do so is simply because doing so is horribly hard to balance.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

::swoops down::

::Called Shots rules from Pathfinder::

::vanishes::
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.