New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Goliath Bard

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Goliath Bard

So back in 3.5 Goliath's had racial ACF's for the Barbarian, Bard and Rogue classes. And they had a Bardic Prestige Class, the Dawncaller.
    Now I would like to play a Goliath Bard similar to one I played back in 3.5 Namleth Oo'ial he had two weapons, a Crossbow that doubled as a Harp, and a Horn that doubled as a Hammer. Now how do I achieve this in 4e?
    Roleplay is Important Alway come Prepared
    Credit to the absolutely stunning Mavis Vermilion Avatar goes to the Amazing Ceika
    I always Carouse, I never Peruse, it's much more fun to find things my way.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Goliath Bard

The crossbow that doubles as a harp is easy enough. In Adventurer's Vault 2 and Dragon 390, there are magic items called songbows that are usable as bard implements, and can be crossbows.

The horn-hammer, though, is slightly trickier. The only melee weapliments bards can use are songblades, which are all light or heavy blades, and I don't know of any hammer/blade weapons. Hmm... The only way I can think of to get hammers as implements is to either be a dwarf so you can multiclass Warlock and use a pact hammer, or multiclass divine and use one of the magic hammers that counts as a holy symbol (IIRC the Crusader's Weapon is the lowest level at 9+).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

First, I couldn't find any ACFs for Goliath bards. Not that 4e has any real translation of ACFs, but I thought I might be able to use it to help match flavor. I found goliath ACFs for Barbarian, Druid and Rogue.

Looking at the PrC, it looks like it revolved a lot around varied uses for the bardic music. This can be modeled well using the Skald Bard from Heroes of the Feywild. (Or use the original bard - probably the valorous type, and take the skald training feat to get the skald's aura and plenty of skald powers to improve the aura.)

You are stuck with a racial bonus to Str, which won't help you much, but you can choose from either Con or Wis as the other stat. Neither are particularly useful for a skald, but both can be good for an original bard. You can take original bard powers too so I suppose this could help you some. I think my preference would be to go with Con.

I think when Paragon Path time comes, I would just take the War Chanter (if going Valorous bard) or Master Skald (if going for the full-fledged skald).

As for the weapons, you'll have to talk to your DM. There are a few weapons out there that double as bard implements and weapons, but I think they are all heavy blades or bows. Either take these as they are or see if you can talk your DM into custom creating the weapons (since they were probably custom made in 3.5 anyway).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

I think u can try to multiclass cleric bard and go for seladrim ...... Not sure but its in the divine handbook which can use bow as an implement

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    The crossbow that doubles as a harp is easy enough. In Adventurer's Vault 2 and Dragon 390, there are magic items called songbows that are usable as bard implements, and can be crossbows.

The horn-hammer, though, is slightly trickier. The only melee weapliments bards can use are songblades, which are all light or heavy blades, and I don't know of any hammer/blade weapons. Hmm... The only way I can think of to get hammers as implements is to either be a dwarf so you can multiclass Warlock and use a pact hammer, or multiclass divine and use one of the magic hammers that counts as a holy symbol (IIRC the Crusader's Weapon is the lowest level at 9+).
    I shall look into those, and thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    First, I couldn't find any ACFs for Goliath bards. Not that 4e has any real translation of ACFs, but I thought I might be able to use it to help match flavor. I found goliath ACFs for Barbarian, Druid and Rogue.

Looking at the PrC, it looks like it revolved a lot around varied uses for the bardic music. This can be modeled well using the Skald Bard from Heroes of the Feywild. (Or use the original bard - probably the valorous type, and take the skald training feat to get the skald's aura and plenty of skald powers to improve the aura.)

You are stuck with a racial bonus to Str, which won't help you much, but you can choose from either Con or Wis as the other stat. Neither are particularly useful for a skald, but both can be good for an original bard. You can take original bard powers too so I suppose this could help you some. I think my preference would be to go with Con.

I think when Paragon Path time comes, I would just take the War Chanter (if going Valorous bard) or Master Skald (if going for the full-fledged skald).

As for the weapons, you'll have to talk to your DM. There are a few weapons out there that double as bard implements and weapons, but I think they are all heavy blades or bows. Either take these as they are or see if you can talk your DM into custom creating the weapons (since they were probably custom made in 3.5 anyway).
    And yes they were custom made. An extrapolation of the song bow and song blade we made an entire "Instruments of War" series. The Dagger-Flute and Thunder Horn being my favourite.
    Credit to the absolutely stunning Mavis Vermilion Avatar goes to the Amazing Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    The horn-hammer, though, is slightly trickier. The only melee weapliments bards can use are songblades, which are all light or heavy blades, and I don't know of any hammer/blade weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post

I'm going to second the "talk to your DM" advice. Unless you're going to do something cheesy with the weapon type, I see no reason why you couldn't just use a Songblade and call it a hammer instead of a blade.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

7. - Top - End - #7

Alright, now, to build this before 2PM. Or to use the Bard I also made..
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bard 6
    Male Eladrin
    Neutral Good
    Languages: Common, Elven

Hit Points: 54
    Bonus Per Level: 5
    Bloodied: 26
    Healing Surges per Day: 7
    Surge Value: 13

Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30ft (6 Squares)
    Sense: Low-Light

Armor: 23
    Fortitude: 14
    Reflex: 18
    Will: 18
    +5 vs. Charm, +2 vs. Opportunity to Attacks

Possessions
    Scimitar +6 (1d8+1), [Shield Grants +1 AC]
    “Silkstring” Great Song-bow +10 (1d12+1)
    Equipment: Chainmail, Light Shield
    Misc. Song Harp/Greatbow, Green Cloak, Brown/Green Tunic/Trousers
    Gold, Yes Please

Feats
    Jack of All Trades
    Ritual Caster (B)
    Superior Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
    Advantage of Cunning: When you slide an Ally you can slide an enemy.
    Arcane Familiar: Falcon

Falcon [Bant]
    Speed 2, fly 6 (hover)
    Constant Benefits
    You gain a +2 bonus to Perception checks.
    You gain a +2 bonus to all defenses against opportunity attacks.
    Active Benefits:
    Hunting Falcon: Once per encounter, you can determine range for your ranged arcane attacks from your falcon until the end of your current turn.

Soaring Spirit: A falcon familiar has a range limit of 40 squares from you.

Abilities and Skills
    Strength: 12
    Athletics: +6

Constitution: 12
    Endurance: +6

Dexterity: 18
    Acrobatics: +12
    Stealth: +9
    Thievery: +9

Intelligence: 18
    Arcana: +14
    History: +14
    Religion: +9

Wisdom: 12
    Dungeoneering: +6
    Heal: +6
    Insight: +6
    Nature: +6
    Perception: +8

Charisma: 18
    Bluff: +12
    Diplomacy: +12
    Intimidate: +9
    Streetwise: +12

Class Features
    Virtue of Cunning: Once per round, when an enemy attack misses an ally within a number of squares of you equal to 5 + your Intelligence modifier, you can slide that ally 1 square as a free action.

At-Will
    Vicious Mockery:
    At-Will*Arcane, Charm, Implement, Psychic
    Standard Action/Ranged 10

Target: One creature

Attack: Charisma vs. Will
    Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier psychic damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Jinx Shot:
    At-Will*Arcane, Weapon
    Standard Action/ Ranged weapon
    Attack: Charisma vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage. The first time the target misses with an attack before the end of your next turn, it falls prone.

Encounter
    Majestic Word:
    Encounter (Special)*Arcane, Healing
    Minor Action/Close burst 5
    Target: You or one ally in burst
    Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. You also slide the target 1 square.
    Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round.

Blunder:
    Encounter*Arcane, Charm, Implement
    Standard Action/Ranged 5

Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage, and you slide the target 2 squares. During the slide, you or one of your allies can make a melee basic attack against the target as a free action, with a power bonus to the attack roll equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier.

Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade:
    Encounter*Arcane, Weapon
    Immediate Interrupt/Ranged weapon
    Trigger: An ally misses with a melee attack
    Target: The target of the triggering ally's attack
    Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1 [W] + Charisma modifier damage. The target takes a -4 penalty to all defenses against the triggering ally's attack.

Daily
    Stirring Shout:
    Daily*Arcane, Healing, Implement, Psychic
    Standard Action/Ranged 10

Hit: 2d6 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, whenever an ally hits the target, that ally regains hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

Song of Discord:
    Daily*Arcane, Charm, Implement
    Standard Action Ranged 10

Hit: The target is dominated until the end of your next turn.

Effect: The target makes a basic attack against an enemy of
    your choice as a free action.

Utility
    Words of Friendship:
    Encounter*Arcane

Minor Action/Personal

Effect: You gain a +5 power bonus to the next Diplomacy check you make before the end of your next turn.

Fey Step:
    Encounter*Teleportation
    Move Action/Personal
    Teleport up to 5 Squares

Moment of Escape:
    Encounter*Arcane

Move Action/Ranged 10
    Effect: You slide the target 4 squares.

Revitalizing Incantation:
    Encounter*Arcane, Healing

Minor Action/Ranged 5

Target: You or one ally

Effect: The target can spend a healing surge. Additionally, the target gains temporary hit points equal to his or her healing surge value.
    And the fluff, because who doesn't love Bunnies in the Background
    Bonus points to whoever can find the reference.
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Argetung or Silver-Tongue”
    Head-Sure and ****-Strong, alright, maybe that’s not the expression, but I like it better, alright? Good I’m glad, No? then why are you still reading this? Who are you anyways, and why the hell are you reading my journal… Oh, okay, so you want to know about me. Well then, sit back and relax because my absolute favourite topic in the world, beyond women, money and adventure is me.

I’ll be the first to admit that I may be a bit young for an adventuring elf, but it’s mostly my own doing, I used to run round with these guys, not bad guys per se, we just found fun in assisting travellers with the spending of their wealth, most of it ending back in our own pockets sure, but no one was hurt, and it’s not really evil. Anyways, so one day we try my wise on some crafty wizard and he snaps his fingers and I’m dangling by my ankles being led off by this robed guy. Turns out he was some dignitary chosen to find new students for some magic college. He figures I’d be a good addition.

Once we get there I begin to understand things pretty quick, the wise ones become priests, the smart ones wizards, the oh so charismatic ones become bards. There were other sections I know, for those who had natural magic available to them both Arcane, Divine and Primal, but what do I care, I was Bard material baby.

So I went through their system, not top of my class or anything, I was always looking to have a good time rather than be a perfectionist, besides once you bang a bard you never go back, (heck I even got to try out a Dwarf and a Half-Orc while there too, one was a bit tough, the other a little rough but fine beauties all the same… or so I was told, I like the curves more than I like hard lines of them, or the angles of my kin and half-kin, give me humans any day) Other than women, music, magic and me, I enjoy archery and falconry having Silkstring and Bant for each respectively.

So I left and now I travel from place to place, chasing a great mythical beast for me to sing about as well as it’s companion; I’m talking about Love and Happiness, and I just plan on having fun along the way. Me and my Harp shall bring joy to women everywhere, the men can listen if they please, but I’ll always play for the women.
    Last edited by ExemplarofAvg; 2012-11-04 at 11:54 AM.