Thread: Dragon Age

1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dragon Age

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, well, this sort of touches my deeper concerns with DA2 model of combat, namely throwing waves of enemies at you and needlessly overblown "cool" boss fights. Not that DA2 is alone in this, mind you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I never had much of a problem with the big, "cool" boss fights in DA2, to tell the truth.

The Rock Wraith was pretty damn fun and required some quick maneuvering of your party, and it looked awesome to boot. The Dragon fight, while a little long, still had that epic feeling I got in the fist game.

The DLCs also had some rocking boss fights. Corypheus, with his crazy attacks and environmental effects, felt like an unimaginably powerful mage, and you feel pretty good when you take him down. The final fight with Prophet and Leopold is incredibly enjoyable, and probably my favorite fight in the series. It's because these boss fights go all out, and require more than a HP slug-fest, that makes them more than a little fun for me.

Compare those to the fight with the Arishok. He is easily the most compelling antagonist in the game, and I enjoy every scene with him. But his boss fight? It mainly consists of Hawke throwing a few shots, drinking health potions, and running away. Not the most enjoyable fight.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Rake21 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I never had much of a problem with the big, "cool" boss fights in DA2, to tell the truth.

The Rock Wraith was pretty damn fun and required some quick maneuvering of your party, and it looked awesome to boot. The Dragon fight, while a little long, still had that epic feeling I got in the fist game.

The DLCs also had some rocking boss fights. Corypheus, with his crazy attacks and environmental effects, felt like an unimaginably powerful mage, and you feel pretty good when you take him down. The final fight with Prophet and Leopold is incredibly enjoyable, and probably my favorite fight in the series. It's because these boss fights go all out, and require more than a HP slug-fest, that makes them more than a little fun for me.

Compare those to the fight with the Arishok. He is easily the most compelling antagonist in the game, and I enjoy every scene with him. But his boss fight? It mainly consists of Hawke throwing a few shots, drinking health potions, and running away. Not the most enjoyable fight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bioware just loves effing duels. I don't really understand it myself, as this is a team-based combat system. I got through the Arishok duel with some well-timed use of various bombs.

The fight against Prosper and Leopold is very well-designed. The battle with Corypheus suffers because it's so hard to navigate your characters through that rock maze. Still, it feels suitably "epic."
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-11-20 at 02:15 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I disliked the fight with Corypheus because of how contrived it was. Suddenly, you can no longer attack him even though he spends a few seconds floating there and yelling. And then you can't just hop onto that pedestal and gank him for some reason.
    Like I said though, I dislike such artificially difficult boss fights everywhere.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.