New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Three Coins, Two Birds and a Gilded Sword: A Norbayne Campaign Log

We're back!

Before moving on, Maebh wards each passageway into the room with her magic, ensuring that if any creature is to follow the party, they will trip the alarms and the companions will know of it. Taking stock of their situation, the companions decide to follow the path Breanna scouted earlier, however Tremor investigates the passageway she skipped when they come to the room with the mountain of corpses. Following the passage he comes upon another room, again littered with bones, but in the far left corner there is a wooden chest.

The engineer carelessly opens the chest, releasing a quantity of foul-smelling green gas. He holds his breath and thankfully, his stout Dwergar constitution allows him to shrug it off. Inside the chest is a plain iron dagger, a small amount of copper coins and two old scrolls.

Tremor claims the spoils for his own and then unfurls one of the scrolls. The language is one which he is unfamiliar with, but despite that he attempts to read it anyway, attempting the pronunciation to the best of his ability. As soon as he reaches the end of the page, the script is overlaid with a glowing golden light and the words are erased as if they are being burnt of the paper. And then the chest immolates, leaving nothing but ash in seconds. The scroll too shrivels up in the dwarf's hands.
    "Cool." - Wings.

Tremor hands the remaining scroll to Maebh, who reads over it, careful not to give voice to the incantation upon it. She swiftly reveals that the scroll is intended to produce a flame which will consume almost anything in a matter of moments. Tremor tells her to keep it.

They continue through the labyrinth, eventually coming upon the flight of stairs which Breanna had discovered earlier. Breanna picks the lock on the door and they barge through. What they find is horrifying.

The room is dark and damp and not empty. To the left of the party is another long, steep flight of stairs. To the right is a concave wall, and set into the wall are seven iron-barred cage doors. Behind the left most doors are groups of bloodied, ragged people, some clamouring at the bars to entreat the party to release them, others huddled in silence against the rock walls, already surrendered to their fate. The two doors on the right however hold only one captive each, both of whom are covered in blood and snarling, hands reaching and clawing at the companions from behind the bars.

The group recoils from the two men, spying the remains of late captives in those cells which were torn apart and eaten. All the visible captives bear bite-wounds, what appear to be deep, infected gashes. The party withdraw from the room and back down some of the stairs to consult with each other in private. Doing so also prevents the militia-men from seeing the captives.

They then engage in a short debate on what to do with the captives.
    Unfortunately, I cannot remember who wanted to do what with the captives and Ladyhawk's notes don't say either. Suffice to say that some wanted to kill them all, some wanted to leave them for now and sort through them later and some wanted to free them immediately.

Freeing the two feral captives was considered out of the question. Those two men would have to be put down. The others however could still be saved, but someone does point out that unleashing all these captives upon an unsuspecting Dreven only for them to turn rabid, or worse, into undead wolves, would be tantamount to consigning the village to death.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not that the party even knows if that could or would happen. But I'm happy to see someone thought of it.

In the end, for their safety it is decided to leave them in the cages for now, but Tremor does provide one of the calmer captives with a hastily drawn map of the labyrinth for them to study so that they are prepared to move when they get their chance, the party intending to come back later.

The militia, once again for their safety, they detail to guard the room, both the doorway into the labyrinth and the captives, telling them not to open the gates, simply to guard them. The companions move on, up the stairs and out the door to the left.

They come out into a massive hall, stonewalled, dark and cold. It is richly decorated in an ancient style, the faded banners proudly bearing the Wildermont sigil, a black mountain on a red field, surmounted by the antlers of a stag and a black sunburst. To the right of the party is a passageway to another room, ahead of them two thick wooden doors, approximately ten foot tall and to the left, two doorways, of normal size this time.

Exploring, they find that the passageway to the right leads to a winding staircase which provides access to the levels of a high tower. They ignore this part of the castle for now, assuming that the Wolf King, if present is likely to be in a throne-room of sorts. There is no guarantee of course that he is present at all, the Blackfort cold and seemingly lifeless, however the echoes of lupine howls can be heard on the air. The wolves are close.

The party heads for the two doorways, splitting into two groups to tackle it, Harold and Kel'Serrar taking the right doorway while Maebh, Breanna and Tremor take the other. Silently, they prepare their weapons, Kel'Serrar binding magical flames to the head of one of his arrows. Harold holds up a furred hand and slowly counts them off.

Five...
    Breanna gives Wolfgang a quick pat as he stands ready beside her. She murmurs softly to him, just reassuring sounds, no words...
    Four...
    Kel'Serrar gently draws back on the arrow he has nocked to the string of his bow, senses alert for anything coming from the next room...
    Three...
    Tremor clenches his longsword tightly, muttering an oath under his breath...
    Two...
    Maebh's hand itches with the urge to unleash her power. She closes her eyes, sends a reassuring thought to Toineach and lays a hand on the door...
    One...
    Harold pushes the door aside, Maebh doing the same to the other door and the companions charge into a long hall.

Before them are six long wooden tables, arranged in two lines of three. At the end of the hall is a raised platform, just three stone steps off the floor. On the platform sits an ornate carved wooden throne. And in the throne sits a man.

Not just any man, but a tall and gaunt figure, clad in baroque steel plate harness and a thick grey wolf-skin cloak over his shoulders. An ornate steel longsword rests on his knees, but that is not the most imposing feature the man possesses, for his very skin is a patchwork of crudely stitched wolf-pelts. Upon his grotesque head sits a dark wrought iron crown, barbed and of an ugly shape.

And standing beside him is the skeleton of a huge man, he too clad in heavy steel plate, bearing an enormous iron kite shield and a longsword in its right hand which would require two hands for Harold to even swing. The skull of the creature is covered by a finely wrought steel representation of a wolf's head. It turns to face the companions as their charge falters, but makes no move towards them.

"Who enters my domain?" - The Wolf King, in a booming, unearthly baritone, like two boulders giving speech.
    Sadly, I'm just not very good at voices. The players killed any tension here by responding with such gems as, "Me!" and "Don't you know who I am?" It was very funny, but we just ruled it as the characters were shell-shocked.
    "No matter, you should not be here." - The Wolf King, who waves a hand dismissively.
    His champion starts forward, pacing down the length of the hall.

And we have combat! Maebh wins initiative. Three guesses what she does next. :P
    Maebh meets it with a roiling blast of fire which deals some solid damage to the skeletal figure.
    "Maebh, the scroll!" - Tremor, beckoning to the mage who throws him the scroll they found earlier.

The Wolf King looks at her and sneers before raising his hands above his head. He then brings them together with the sound of a thunderclap. From behind the party comes the ominous sound of howling followed by pounding footsteps. He then points a finger at Maebh and hits her with what looks like a thin sliver of silvery-green dust. Where it hits her, the flesh turns black for a second, eating away at her flesh and vitality before her body restores itself, but some damage is done.

Harold charges forward, meeting the champion in single combat. The two exchange blows but for the most part neither is able to land a telling strike, Harold's attempts foiled by the wight's shield and thick armour, his own skill proving just enough to ward off its return strikes. Crucially though, he has halted the champion's momentum and now at least it is not threatening the Invarrian's companions. It is not long before Tremor joins in the melee too, trying to flank the champion and take its legs out with his greatsword, but he is unable to break through its guard.

Kel'Serrar meanwhile takes stock of the situation and looses his arrow at the King himself, who takes significant damage from the strike.

Noticing that the attention of both the King and his champion is focussed squarely on her companions, Breanna darts forward, daggers at the ready and hoping that she can get close enough to the King to strike without him noticing her. She is doomed to failure however and she is picked up by the throat and thrown bodily across the room in a fiendish display of strength. Groaning, she sits herself up, dazed.

As she does so, she sees a scene from her nightmares. Behind Maebh and Kel'Serrar come bounding three hugely muscled beasts, all fangs, claws and savagery, eyes blazing with an animalistic bloodlust. Their features are vaguely lupine, but they are like no wolf the Leathe has ever seen, bounding forward on all fours and standing on only two legs to fight with scything claws.

The beasts remind her of a legend she had once been told when she lived in Greenstone, a horror story the village elder delighted in sharing, especially late at night around the fires. A legend of a curse which would take the most noble of people and turn them into a hateful raging bloodthirsty beast.

The legend of the varghulf.

Wincing in pain, she shouts a warning to the ranger and mage.

Maebh reacts first and before the beasts can pounce she blasts them with a torrent of magical water which glows with a white light. The torrent blasts one of the beasts into the wall between the doors and the other two back through the doorways completely. She then turns and smashes a fireball into the Wolf King upon his throne, who howls in pain as the fires catch on his pelts.

Looking up in anger at the ranger and mage who have dared to assault him, he throws two more entropic bolts, hitting both Kel'Serrar and Maebh. The bolts do their work, weakening both and draining them of yet more of their life-force. Knowing that he is on the edge of death, the Wolf King then starts to weave another enchantment which surrounds him with a glowing green burst of energy, which then fades into nothingness.

Harold, Tremor and the King's champion continue to trade blows, some getting through, but none particularly telling.

Kel'Serrar shoots off an arrow at the closest varghulf, hoping to take it down before it recovers from Maebh's magical river. The steel bodkin penetrates its chest, but the beast ignores the injury and staggers to its feet. Snarling, it lunges forward and its claws catch Kel'Serrar in the chest, felling the weakened ranger.

The varghulf raises its head and howls its triumph as its other two pack members slink in behind it, wary of the flame-handed Maebh, who herself is slowly backing away.

Breanna meanwhile picks herself up of the floor and makes another attempt at the Wolf King, darting forward, keeping to the shadows and then biding her time. The King sees Kel'Serrar go down and crows his victory, which is all the chance the Leathe needs. Her daggers flash and the King's head hits the floor.

And we left it there....

The Wrap-Up:
    First of all, it was great getting everyone back together for this. It really had been a long time since we had last played and I certainly had missed it.

Secondly, it was a very good session, and I do believe that the day-time session certainly helped. Everyone seemed to be just as, if not more, invested compared to our usual sessions and we would have gotten to play for even longer than we usually do had Dev been on time.

As you can see, it was a seriously tense session, particularly at the end and we've certainly left it on a cliff-hanger. Luckily, we won't be in suspense for too long because at this point we are almost certainly playing this week. Sadly, it does seem that Opal will not be joining the group for some time yet.

What else is there? Oh yes, I do heartily apologise for the lack of detail, particularly regarding dialogue this session. It won't happen again. We will be using Ladyhawk's laptop from now on, which will not crash I'm sure. That being said, perhaps I might just get someone else to see to the recordings from now on due to my technology curse. I swear it all hates me. :P A special thanks is due to Ladyhawk too, who compiled hand-written notes for me to comb through. Plenty of stuff in this write-up I had forgotten about completely until I read it in her notes, so yes, thank you very much.

So yes, big cliff-hanger and do join us for the next update, which will see plenty of action I am sure.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Phoenixguard09; 2020-03-27 at 06:10 AM.
    Campaign Logs:
    Three Coins, Two Birds and a Gilded Sword: COMPLETE
    The Great Maw: NEARLY COMPLETE
    Seven Stones and a Pale Shadow: JUST BEGINNING

Follow us on Instagram for artwork and updates:
    The Norbayne Campaign

Exilian: A friendly place for gamers and repository of interesting content: A link to Exilian. Sign up and say hi!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Just updating everyone,

Saturday will go ahead at this stage and a few players have expressed their excitement to me regarding the short break between sessions. Maybe we will be able to be a little more frequent in the future.

So tune in for wolves, explosions, heaps of loot and undead bits and pieces flying everywhere. That's what I expect will happen anyway and the group is unlikely to disappoint.

Cheers,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

Exilian: A friendly place for gamers and repository of interesting content: A link to Exilian. Sign up and say hi!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Woo!

I love reading this - I can't wait for more.
    A few odds and ends.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Unfortunately Wings fell quite ill and had to call off today, but on the plus side a game on the 5th of July is looking like close to certain.

I have got something people might find interesting however. I am running a contest for the players, as I do on a semi-regular basis and have asked them to conduct their own interview with their characters. I would like to extend the opportunity to you, the readers, to post any questions you might have for players and/or characters.

These questions can seriously be just about anything you want, so go nuts. I'm hoping to encourage the players to differentiate player reactions and character reactions.

Cheers,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, well I have a heap of pictures I wanted to put up, maps and all but for now I will have to be content with only three and sadly, not three of my finest works.

First up, the floormap of The Fortress, the Dreven inn which Tremor took a liking to. Down the bottom you can see the second floor of the inn and on the left hand side you can espy a quick sketch of Tremor's amulet, which may just start to become more important.

Next we have the sketch of the labyrinth beneath the Blackfort which the players recently fought their way through. The left hand side shows the cave and tunnel entrance into the passageways. On the right, one can see the passage out and into the dungeon.

And lastly, for a bit of fun, here's the original sketch I put together in the bathroom which LD took and adapted for her own purposes. As you can see, she's a far superior artist.

I would have posted them up as images but didn't realise that Deviant Art would cause such problems when I tried to. I shall go back to Photobucket now I think.

That's all for now but I will be putting up a basic topographical map of Norbayne, a known world map and a geopolitical map of the area around Summer Hill. Along with a sketch of Harold on a horse.

Cheers,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, back now everyone, this time with heaps of pictures that will be displayed here instead of Deviant Art.

First up, a map of the labyrinth under the Blackfort. Hopefully it can be followed to some extent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Secondly, the Fortress of Dreven, replete with various things Wings figured out. In the bottom left you can see Tremor's amulet he picked up off Wilmund Brewer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Next, a world map of Norbayne which might help people with the geography and such.
    Spoiler
    Show

The lands around Summer Hill. Each number represents a city, town, fort or other point of interest.
    Spoiler
    Show

The original party sketch I did in the bathroom.
    Spoiler
    Show

And lastly, a sketch of Harold Oakenshield on horseback. Even when taking it seriously, I'm still pretty crap.
    Spoiler
    Show

That's all for now though I will be putting up stat sheets as of the end of 3.3 soon. Sadly, Wings just informed us the other day that he goes away very early Saturday morning, so unfortunately we will not play this weekend.

Cheers
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

Yay, this thing's back! Sort of. And I am kinda as well.

Questions for characters... hmm, I had a lot, but only one is currently sticking out in my mind is "Why isn't Harold getting more attention from the ladies?"

Now that I've picked up sketching again (Losing my laptop and internet for several weeks has done wonders with my life!), I think I'm going to draw a sketch of Harold at some point. (I may or may not include Tremor at his side in a back-to-back badasses pose)

If Dev reads this - Make sure that wolf doesn't die next session, or any future ones either! However, I won't mind if his adventures cost him his armor.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Yep, we're kind of back indeed. Just waiting to hear from Wings as to when he's good to go as I'm growing weary of organising days and calling them off. :)

As to the question, I will put it to all the characters as that will likely be quite amusing. :P

And as far as sketches go, to your heart's content. Anything you want to do would be awesome.

Cheers,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Hey everyone,

I ran a solo session for my seven year old brother yesterday. I think he's seven anyway. Whatever. :P

Anyway, I've finished a write-up of the session which can be found on my forum. Here's a link to it. I reckon it would be awesome for the little guy to see that people have read and enjoyed his story so just a comment left on here for him to read indicating you enjoyed it would mean the world to him I'm sure.

Thanks in advance guys, and hopefully that will sate your appetite for Norbayne goodness until we get Wings to sort out a date. ;)

Cheers,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

Hmm... nice judgement call about leaving the dagger.

The guy seems pretty cool. I can't get enough of your campaigns, and the system intrigues me!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Hmm... nice judgement call about leaving the dagger.

The guy seems pretty cool. I can't get enough of your campaigns, and the system intrigues me!
    The highest praise I can get, thank you so much. :)

Apparently he is nine, (turning ten!) but hey, he hasn't changed much in the last two years. :P

Thanks for reading,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, well only two players could be bothered with the challenge I set them, so I guess we know who gets the rewards...

First up, Kel'Serrar. This is set just as the Wolf King has blasted him with the entropic dart.
    Spoiler
    Show

A bolt of powerful magic hits me and I can feel my life fading away and with it, reality.

My eyes open and there, before me is a tall, familiar looking old man with a long grey beard and weatherbeaten skin. He stands clad in a dark grey robe and bearing a carved wooden staff. He nods in greeting, shifting his weight upon his staff and pulls out a wooden board with a piece of parchment on it and a quill.

“Again? You know this really isn’t the best time to do this..."

“Considering what you’ve just been hit with, can you honestly say you have anything better to do right now?” the old man asks, laughing at the question.

There wasn’t much I could answer that with, if anything. After all, I’m still not certain I haven’t been killed. Admittedly, if I had known this was the afterlife, I probably would have killed a lot more people, might at least make things interesting.

“Nice to see we agree on something then, before we begin… do you have any questions?”

“Is this the afterlife? Do I get paid for this? What is the meaning of life? Can I borrow that walking stick?” What can I say? If I am dead, then he can’t kill me for being annoying. If I’m not dead though that may be about to change.

The old man looks at me for a moment, and then continues, “Well then, since you don’t have any questions, I must ask… if you have such a fear of fire, why is it that you actively attempt to set buildings and other people on fire?”

“I wouldn’t necessarily say I fear fire, if anything I’m actually rather fond of it, there are few of life’s challenges that cannot be solved through the immolation of everyone around you. What I dislike are the ashes that remain behind once the fire is gone. Ashes mean there’s no more life here, nothing left and it’s time to move on again.

As to why I try to start fires, well… after many years of fighting, raiding and killing, my people learned a remarkable truth about the other races. Almost all of them are afraid of being set on fire. In the little time I have spent outside of my village, this has yet to fail me”

“Then let me ask of something else, you have been using a new form of magic recently, one rather foreign to you all things considered. Why?”

“That is a far simpler question to answer. Why? Because I was told I couldn’t. Back in Summer Hill, while I was talking to ‘The Trickster’ I asked him about the magic he was using, and whether he would be willing to teach it. I was told it would be beyond my ability to learn, how could I resist?

From what I’ve learned of it so far, it seems like it would have quite a lot of use if I ever return to the wilds, being able to change my appearance almost at will would certainly be effective against any group of bandits. The ability to hide any sound would simply be an added bonus, it would certainly help when working with Chirya.”

“Ah yes, Chirya. You don’t think she might be annoyed at a certain note you left her recently… one that I note you have made no effort to find a response to?”

“In all honesty... no. She herself has done similar in the past, knowing her, any reply she would make, she’ll leave somewhere in my way and I’ll find just after she’s left the area. Actually… that does seem to happen far too often. Quite often we will both find ourselves in the same area, yet never actually see each other. It certainly makes things interesting at least.

As much as I miss her though, the situations she would get us into… she once had us try and besiege the town of Sul, well, if I’m being honest, it was more of a village than a town. The reason? She was bored. Before I tell you how we did it, just think for a moment how you would do it. A quiet village, thirty people at the most living there, on the edge of the wilds. These villagers were fairly well armed, and had a well-trained militia for the nearly constant problems caused by the wilderness.

Thought how you would do it? It probably wasn’t this. We surrounded the village, yes, surrounded it, just the two of us. This was only the second strangest thing that happened that day. The strangest was that it actually worked. The villagers did not believe that we would try something quite so abysmal without having a small army in hiding nearby. I’m not entirely sure if they ever really learned the truth, but I hope so, it wouldn’t be quite as exciting to do it twice if they haven’t learned.

That was about only a few days before we both went our separate ways near Summer Hill, and I haven’t seen her since… although it was certainly amusing to find out about the holes she put in Harold. “

“What about this town you have been fighting in, this Dreven?”

“I’m glad to be out of there in all honesty, those wolves were simply too much. They are a perversion of the natural order and have no place within the wilds. The sooner they can be dealt with, the sooner we can leave this place, and travel further. Who knows, we may find more members, or we might all leave, one of the two.”

“Interesting, my final question then, the other members of the party… You've had a fair bit of time to form an opinion of them. What do you think of them?”

“They are certainly convenient, as a group we achieve much more than we would separate, but this group is not the most reliable. Harold is practical, if someone is dead, they cannot act against us… a good philosophy, if we weren’t hunting someone long dead, who controls undead wolves. He has few issues with looting, so he would be decent if he were not so fixated on separating the party while we adventure.

Maebh is powerful, very powerful, yet sentimental. An odd mix for a Danann. She is good company to adventure with, but will often let sentiment cloud her vision. Those prisoners were a good example, if they were released, they had every possibility to turn into more wolves and an enemy behind us as well as before us is not an ideal situation.

Breanna… well, Breanna makes Chirya seem like a travelling hero of the people. There is something very wrong with her mental state, but it certainly helps whenever we need to kill something. With every town we go to, I find myself expecting her to go on a murdering spree and get us chased out of town. Again.

Tremor is a small and very flammable wall. While it is amusing to see him thrown at various targets we have met, he seems much more capable building than he does fighting. If he were to actually hit his targets they have little chance to continue breathing, but he seems to be far more successful at desperately flailing than fighting.

And then there is me. In all honesty, I remain with this party because it pays the best, and they don’t usually object too loudly when there are objects in need of stealing. This does not engender much in the way of trust among the party. We all know that the others will get the job done, but when there’s nothing left for us to hunt, what then?”

“Odd, but very well, thank you for your time, you may return to your world again… Oh and try to move out of the wolf’s way.”

The old man fades away, and reality seems to reassert itself, as do the wolves moving closer to Maebh and myself…

And then the other one I got was from LD. So here's Breanna's interview. This one is set just after the Wolf King has cracked her head against a stone wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    My eyes open and before me is a very different sight. Where I was in the middle of a life and death struggle just moment before, now I am sitting on a tree-stump at a campfire at night. Before me is familiar old man, clad in dark grey. A carven staff lies beside him and he carries a quill and wooden board with parchment. He smiles across at me.

"That was a nasty head knock girl. Now, do you have any questions?"

I shake my head, still trying to come to grips with the situation I have found myself in.

"Very good then, we shall begin. We are very curious, what are your values?"

I take a deep breath and then start to talk.
    "The things that I feel most strongly about are strength, morality and justice, though, for obvious and, quite frankly, disturbing reasons, you would not think this…I’m a bit of sociopath, or psychopath, depending on which you find to be more fitting. Honestly, I think I’m both. However, back to the matter at hand. Strength, honor and justice hold strong with me due to my background. Now, I know we Leathe are not exactly renowned for our bravery and/or excellence on the battlefield, but hearing fables or warriors and the like really took a place in me, so strength, I find, is quite a good trait to have, both physical and mental. As for morality and justice, this is going to be a massive hit of hypocrisy, though my true opinion. Morality is possibly one of the best characteristics to have, the knowledge of right and wrong and all that crap, justice, honour, and integrity…they all come into this category. These are, what I find, to be some of the most important things in the world, though, in this age of Norbayne, is hard to find."

"What was your view on the supernatural? Have these views changed throughout the course of your little adventure?"

"I have always had this idea of no divine over-ruling spirit, and the same applies to the supernatural creatures we've run across. I was always taught as a child that these things were simply used to scare children into doing their parent’s bidding and the like; however, this journey has made me rethink my opinions on the world completely. Undead wolves being controlled by an ex-king psychopath who should be otherwise dead? Come on, I’m oblivious, but even I know something’s up when that comes into play! I get the whole “it’s magic and that’s all there is to it” thing, but there’s definitely something, more, there has to be something that the world of Norbayne isn’t seeing. As to my views on the supernatural now? It’s real, and it should be feared, like death."

"Do you think redemption is possible? If so, can anyone be redeemed, or are there only certain circumstances that can be? If not, why do you think nothing can redeem itself?"

"Redemption is a possibility, for most people. All hope is lost for me though, hurt too many people, caused too much pain, but other people could do it. Though, I hope some people never do manage redemption. The world is such a horrible place, but there is still some good left in the world."

"What do you think is wrong with society, overall?"

"The majority of the people of this world, have a tendency to be avaricious, whether it is for wealth or power. It is our greatest flaw, because, let’s face it, there are so many flaws with the world."

"What is your current long-term goal for this venture?"

"I would say that my long-term goal would be for, at the end of this, to get paid…but…that is sort of out unlikely, so maybe just to live through this bloody (literally bloody) venture. Maybe come out of it with some valuables so I can set myself up, far away from Greenstone all together."

"And then, what is your current short-tern goal at the moment?"

"At this point in time I just want to survive. I have an ominous feeling about how all this is going to pan out, and, to put it lightly, there is a substantial chance of dying by “Wolf King evil kill-iness”, so, I’m essentially preparing for the worst. Though, it would be very pleasant to actually live through this thing."

"My last question then, before I let you get back to it all, some of us are quite interested. Why do you feel Harold Oakenshield doesn't get more attention from the ladies?"

"He is a very…unique Invarrian. As to reasons why he doesn’t get, as you say, more attention from the ladies, I give you this image: picture a half dog half man covered in whiskey, curled up on a mat, shedding everywhere, laying so close to the fireplace that you’re actually afraid that he’s about to combust… Come get it ladies!
    But, in all seriousness, he is a sea wolf, and racism is an issue that needs to be brought to light. Around here, his kind are known for being merciless raiders. Plus, after a month or so of travelling around with the dog, you learn pretty quickly that he has no filter between his brain and his canines.

And there you have it guys, the two things I did get.
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Just a short status update for anyone who is anxiously awaiting the next installment.

At the moment several of us, myself included have been exceptionally busy. I play club football, LD's at school and takes her ballet dancing very seriously, Dev, Sins and Ladyhawk are all studying and Wings works full-time. As you can imagine, co-ordinating everyone can be a rather stressful task.

As it was, Friday nights were great for everyone last year. LD only had dancing two times a week and everyone had the day off on Saturday so we could all be out/up late. This year however, LD picked up another night of dancing, specifically Friday nights. Unfortunately, this restricted us to playing either in the school holidays when the dancing academy had time off, or changing the sessions to Saturday.

This would not have been such an issue if it weren't for my own acquisition of football to my time-table. With games alternating between Friday night and Saturday afternoon, this severely cut down what opportunities were left by LD.

What few opportunities remained to us after these issues Wings and Ladyhawk managed to scuttle, leaving us with a pretty bare roster in terms of sessions in 2014. :P

However things are looking up. I play my last game for the season this weekend and should also finally get my licence which should help with co-ordinating people in itself. LD's dancing should also be wrapping up soon, but at least I won't have to call off any more Saturdays myself.

We are also hoping to have multiple sessions in September. :D Well, I am anyway. We'll have to see how the others feel about that.

To finish this message, I'll just assure you that the adventures of this group are not over by a long shot and we are still going. We're just going to be a little late about it. :P

I also hope to play another session of Pirates of Lemaria with Scotticus this weekend, so keep your eyes peeled for another chronicle featuring Martialis Ironlaw.

At 1:36 from the east coast of Australia, I bid you a good night,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Another quick update, but this one is not only positive news but content-filled!

First up, we're playing a session on the 23rd of August. Hooray for the end of lengthy hiatuses! Is that a word? It is now.

Secondly, Opal will probably be joining us. Suffice to say, there will be a legitimate reason for her to show up.

Thirdly, I played Session 1.2 of Pirates of Lemaria with Scotticus some time last week. We had a blast and the write-up can be found here. Enjoy.

That's all for now guys, please post if you have any questions or comments, we love seeing comments on here.
    Cheers,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Session 3.4: The Danann Pack

The witch Kresimina is an interesting case, a woman whose past is hidden amid the blood and flames of her terrible reign. She first rose to power almost a decade after Imperator Felix Aureus Ferox fell in battle against the Danann of the Dragain's Tail. What began as rumours of a powerful sorceress coming to power in the Northlands quickly became full-scale war between the forces of the reeling Bovus Empire and undying legions from the north, led by their witch-queen, a necromancer of terrible power.

Kresimina took for herself the sigil of the burning pine tree, a symbol of her conquest, the Razing of the North....

From the Codex of Blood.

Welcome to Session 3.4 of Three Coins, Two Birds and a Gilded Sword. This session went for about three and a half hours, with a lunch break in the middle and saw the introduction of a new player, Opal, who has been lined up to join us for quite some time now.

Let's begin,

"You lost The Game." - Sounds like everyone.
    "You bastards."

Harold and Tremor stand in the middle of the dining hall, trading blows with a giant, armour clad champion. Breanna stands at the end of the hall, knife in hand, having just decapitated the Wolf King. Two varghulfs stalk towards Maebh, magical light flickering in her hands, while the third crouches over the felled Kel'Serrar, about to tear his face off.

Things are not looking good.

And so with a shout Maebh hits the oncoming varghulfs with all the power she can muster, a torrent of magical water blasting them apart. Wrenching the magical energies around, she directs the water at the third beast on Kel'Serrar. It too is blown apart, leaving the stunned Danann ranger wiping blood and flesh from his face.

Inspecting the corpse before her, Breanna notices a thin green-grey wisp of magic emanating from the Wolf King's neck. She pushes that to the back of her mind and looks over to where Harold and Tremor continue to trade blows with the champion. She takes up her dagger and hurls it across the room. The keen blade flashes into the champion's skull, easily penetrating the steel helm. The skeletal figure appears not to notice.

For whatever reason, half the group bursts into song while Wings and I are trying to determine whether or not he dodges one of the champion's strikes. Naturally, no one actually knows the words to the song, and so four members of the group, naming no names, just hum along till they get to the parts that they know.

Unfortunately, between the humming and the singing and the usual OOC chatter going on, I can hear very little of what is going on. Luckily I have a nasally and irritating voice, so at least I can hear myself some of the time.

Three streams of molten silver ripple from the blade of Tremor's sword, punching into the champion's cuirass, but again they seem to have no real effect on the hulking figure. The champion and Tremor exchange blows once more before the Dwergar falls back.

Maebh prepares to blast the champion with fire.
    "How many steps do I get as a free action again?" - Ladyhawk.
    "Five steps."
    "Cool. Can I shout a warning to Harold and Tremor?" - Ladyhawk.
    "Of course you can."
    "Alright then, I take five steps forward and shout, 'Duck!'" - Ladyhawk.
    "Where? I love ducks!" - Dev and myself simultaneously.
    "I hate ducks. A duck ate my honey-soy duck." - Opal, quietly.
    "Holy ****. That's morbid."
    "A duck broke my foot once." - LD.
    "What!?" - Most everyone, save for me as I have heard this story before.
    "It's a long story."
    "The short version is, I was on a trampoline. A duck flew down, scared me and pushed me off the trampoline." - LD, to stunned silence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wings came up with an idea. Basically, he wants to be able to carve runes into his flesh. The rules stipulate that they may be carved onto any metal item, but it is a cool idea. The solution? I'm going to write talents that allow Engineers to carve the runes onto other materials. And Warlocks will gain a flesh-rune mechanic, because that seemed kind of evil.

The blast of flame smashes the champion to ground, but the undead warrior is still not completely felled.
    "He's down! Kill him!" - Maebh, ignoring the fact that it is already dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    I had to leave the room at this point to rescue our soft drinks from the freezer, and so everyone took great delight in screaming at the recording device until I returned. Such gems as, "STOP TOUCHING MY DICE!" and, "You lost The Game.... Again..." and lastly, "Does anybody have a lovely bunch of coconuts?"

I return and impose some form of order upon the session.
    Spoiler
    Show

On the plus side, not as bad as the infamous anime pornography incident.

Harold obliges and his blades flash as he hacks the champion apart.

The armour of the champion and the Wolf King is far too heavy and impractical for any of the party to use, even Harold. On the other hand, their weapons are both expertly crafted and well-maintained.

The champion bears heavy plate harness, a massive sword and a weight solid-iron shield. On the champion's belt is a ring of heavy iron keys, which Harold takes, along with the champion's sword.

Maebh stalks over to the decapitated Wolf King and examines his corpse. His armour is ornate and heavy, as is his longsword. His wolf-pelt cloak, while likely rich in a past life, is now dank and musty and frankly, smells like ****. On his left hand, he bears a thick, rune-engraved golden ring. Maebh takes the longsword for herself and tosses the ring to Tremor, who has shown a somewhat disconcerting urge to collect expensive jewellery.

I've known Wings for years. Surely he should know by now that Lord of the Rings are my favourite books and movies of all time....

Leaving the dining hall, the party goes up the stairs, coming upon the first floor. Opening the door, the party comes across a room in which a great number of skeletons are working away at desks and stacking books in bookshelves. No moves are made towards the party, they simply work at their tasks, sorting through books, stacking them and writing them. Progress is slow, but steady. The party search through the books, stepping around the skeletal beings. All the books they look at are written in a language none of the group are familiar with, though it seems to be similar to the Scribhinn, the Danann script.

From what they can tell, it seems that the books are written histories. And while they are almost illegible, they are beautiful works of art.

As Dev points out, the skeletons seem to be almost magical automated typewriters.

Each party member picks up a handful of books and scrolls, stuffing them into backpacks and then continue up the tower. Every room they come across is much the same as the first, filled with more skeletons creating written works.

The party finally reach the top of the tower, where the staircase ends with a much larger door. Where the other doors were ordinary, unadorned wooden affairs, this door is much larger, made of dark carved iron. A carven, rather daemonic looking face glares at the party from the door.

I remind Opal that she can jump in at any time, and she offers that currently she is eating a steak in Dreven's Fortress inn.

LD suggests opening the door.
    "That sounds like a mis-steak." - to laughter and groans of disgust.
    "I would join in the puns, but the steaks are too high." - Sins, to more laughter than I got.
    "You're one of my favourite people." - Ladyhawk, to Sins, grinning sheepishly.

The door is not locked and the party cautiously creep inside. Immediately they are set upon by two skeletal guards and a deadwolf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And I explain how Initiative works for about the fiftieth time as everyone bar Sins does it wrong again. I need to come up with a better system I think.

Maebh immediately opens up with another Fury of the River, smashing the two guards into shattered piles of bone on the ground. Only half of the deadwolf remains, glowering and slavering at the party as they stride past it.

It took longer to roll Initiative than finish the fight there, which is another sign that it needs to be more intuitive than it is.
    "Sorry." - Ladyhawk.

Against the back wall, an unconscious dwarf is chained to the wall in an iron cage.
    "You breed fast." - Sins, to Wings. Massive laughter.
    In the centre of the room, there is a large, rusted iron table covered in bloodstains, engraved runes and heavy chains. Tremor and Breanna inspect the table and determine between them that the runes are of a cursing variety, and that they are specifically used for some kind of transmutation. Basically, one taps into the power of the runes to change the form of whatever lies upon the table into a pre-determined shape.

"I'm disappointed. When you said cursing, I thought the table was for swearing at people who get too close." - Sins.
    "I'm glad I wasn't the only one who pictured the runes saying, '****.' " - Ladyhawk, laughing.
    "The way they actually work, you could end up with **** actually on the table." - Opal.
    "That's some curse."

Tremor thinks about copying these runes for his own use. Essentially, Tremor's runecraft is a form of Spirit magic, where Tremor takes the ambient energy of spirits in the world around him and binds it into the engravings he places upon metal. The runes however, instead of binding the energy of spirits, are actually binding daemonic entities and so are both far more powerful and far more volatile.

Instead he walks over to the unconscious dwarf and recognises him. The Dwergar in the cage is none other than Tremor's cousin, Barandin Rostenson of Clan Stonefist. He does not look in a good way, dried blood streaking his face, beard and chest. He would appear dead if it weren't for the slight rise and fall of his chest with his breathing. As Tremor approaches, he looks up and a fierce golden light gleams in his savage eyes. The chains hold him back as he begins to growl at his approaching cousin.

I figure they need yet another hint here.
    "Now LD's knowledge of the Leathe legends has suggested that the varghulf condition is a curse. This table has been revealed as one which places a curse on whatever is chained to it."
    "Can we change him back?" - Wings.
    "My knowledge of the varghulf is that I destroy them..." - Ladyhawk, whispering.
    "On another note, not only do you guys steal everything which isn't nailed down, LD even stole my name." - Opal, whose real name is very similar to Breanna.
    "To be fair, she picked it because she was too lazy to come up with a name particularly different from her own." - LD's real name is also similar to Breanna, which naturally makes it confusing as hell trying to differentiate who we're speaking to.
    "Anyway, what are you doing with Barandin?"
    "Can we work the table?" - Wings.
    "You might be able to."
    "Maebh's leaving the room then." - Ladyhawk.
    "So we could work the table perhaps?" - Wings.
    "You could, but there might be an easier way to do it..." - Blank looks from everyone... "Your walking magical battery might have an easier alternative."
    "Walking magical battery? Do you have a better solution than the table?" - Wings.
    "Uh, yeah don't use the table. It seems dangerous and we don't know what we're working with." - Ladyhawk, to Dev's laughter.
    "Right, but PG said you might have a solution." - Wings.
    "This is a curse...." - With heavy emphasis on the final word.
    "Oh right, Remove Curse... How many times have you hinted that?" - Ladyhawk, laughing.
    "Hmm a couple... Two sessions now."
    "Should I get the bowl of water then?" - Ladyhawk.
    "You can."
    "Will it help?" - Ladyhawk.
    "Yes, it will help."
    "Right, bowl of water then please?" - Ladyhawk, asking around.
    They start discussing where to get water from.
    "Yeah some water from a skin will do, right?" - Ladyhawk.
    "Well yeah sure. You know you can make water in your hands right?"
    "Oh yeah!" - Ladyhawk.

Maebh begins the ritual to cleanse the cursed Dwergar, and finally places her hand upon his forehead. He tries to bite her, but she avoids his gnashing teeth. Upon being cured, his eyes turn back to a dark, almost black grey and he sags against the wall. He looks around confused and his eyes eventually fall on Tremor.

"Tremor, is that you? What are you doing here?" - Barandin Stonefist.
    Harold moves forward and uses the keys on the champion's pilfered ring to unlock the cage and manacles.
    "I have news from home Tremor. Your brother, he is... Well, a ******** to put it lightly. I am sorry, but your father is dead. Your brother killed him for the rulership. He has also had your sister sold off to a rival clan. To my knowledge, everyone we grew up with, friends we fought with, are dead. Or exiled, but they're probably dead too." - Barandin, trying to get everything out in case he lapses into unconsciousness again.
    "You're a noble?" - Maebh, quietly.
    "Yes." - Tremor, also quietly.
    "****." - Maebh, concerned.

Tremor's cousin is physically battered, unarmed and unarmoured, but it seems he insists he is well enough to try and leave this place with the party.

"We will help you rescue your sister Tremor." - Maebh, gripping her spear tightly.
    "Yes, we shall." - Harold.
    Tremor nods his gratitude.

From the main room there are two doorways, not counting the large iron door they just came through, one to left of where they stand and one straight ahead. To the right is an open balcony which overlooks the courtyard and the mountain.

The party inspects the room straight ahead first. It appears to be an armoury of sorts. To their left is another wooden door. Four suits of heavy steel plate harness line the walls, too heavy and impractical for any of the party. The cloth and leather of all four suits are worn with age. Upon one sits a highly ornate steel helm in the shape of a wolf-skull which Tremor takes.
    Against the left wall lies a display case with a powerful hunting bow and five well-crafted arrows, which Kel'Serrar claims.
    Against the right wall is a wooden desk covered in parchment and a single book which details the art of scroll-crafting. Tremor takes both the bow and the parchment.
    Next to it is a chest which Maebh points at and it pops open.
    Successful Channelling Skill Check to open it.
    Dark black and green wisps of lightning crackle from within it, indicating that it was probably warded. Within the chest is a small selection of already completed scrolls, a wolf-fang talisman and two wands, one of alderwood and the other rune-inscribed oak. Tremor takes the scrolls and Maebh takes the talisman and wands. The mage studies the talisman and determines that it grants the wearer the favour of woodland spirits.
    Essentially +10 to Survival Checks in woodland areas.
    Another chest lies against the back wall, which Harold approaches and unlocks using his pilfered keys. In it is a fine steel dagger and longsword, an enchanted thick black cloak, and a steel war axe. The Invarrian takes it all and gives the axe to Barandin and the cloak to Kel'Serrar.

Tremor heads back out into the main room, before taking the other doorway. The rest of the group meanwhile go through the doorway from the armoury and come upon what they assume to be the Wolf King's personal living quarters.

A sumptuous bed which has not been used for probably hundreds of years dominates the room, and a wardrobe and chest made up the rest of the furnishings. Maebh immediately inspects the chest and split the money and small bag of gemstones inside. A cask of pipeweed is set aside for Tremor.

Tremor
    Going through the door they Tremor first notices long wooden table with a comfortable leather chair. Along two walls are expansive bookshelves with considerably less books in them than they were constructed to hold. There is also a small fireplace.

The Dwergar immediately takes one of the books off a shelf, an exotic tome written in gold ink, bound in leather and trimmed with bone, and sets himself down upon the chair to read. Flicking through the book, named the Codex of Blood, Tremor finds a treasure-trove of knowledge regarding ancient necromantic masters. The Dwergar, flicking through, comes across the first page of a chapter embossed with the symbol of a flaming pine tree. He has a moment to recognise the resemblance between that symbol and the one engraved upon his amulet before he is wracked with a not-inconsiderable amount of pain, causing him to drop the book. The pain subsides in a moment, leaving him with a splitting headache, and he opens his eyes to find the book again, which is lying open at a different page, one detailing the master Odon. He closes it and slams the book into his backpack.

Tremor looks through each book in turn as the rest of the party finish in the Wolf King's chamber, and continues to do so after they come in to the study.
    "What's up?" - Tremor, in a non-committal greeting.
    He then picks up another book from the pile next to him, an impressive tome bound in carved wooden plates. Opening it, Tremor reads the title, Hosimmo's Articles of Daemonic Manifestation in blood upon the linen page, before his mind is consumed by images of the brutal carnage of daemonic legions locked in an endless war. In seconds, his mind snaps back to reality and he is left mentally scarred by the experience.
    The others look at him, panting heavily and with a fist clenched to his forehead.
    "Are you okay?" - Maebh.
    "Yeah, sure..." - Tremor, grimacing.

At the end of the book is a note, written in black ink upon parchment in spidery handwriting. It is pinned to the wooden plate binding the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Handwritten Note
    My research indicates that Hosimmo was slain by a summoned pack of daemons he thought were under his control, a grim warning to one who would attempt to replicate his feats for themselves.
    Sitting on the table is a small blackthorn puzzle-box, lying where Tremor placed it for now, having taken it from the bookshelf.
    "Can I give this a go?" - Harold, to Tremor.
    "Yeah sure." - Tremor, nursing his head and taking a break from combing through the books. One of them has just belched a cloud of red smoke into his eyes.
    "You're really not having a good day." - Breanna, vaguely sympathetically as Harold starts to work out the puzzle-box.
    Almost a minute later, Kel'Serrar snatches it from the increasingly frustrated Invarrian and deftly opens it.
    Within the box lies several sheets of parchment, covered in line after line of tiny inked lettering. Kel'Serrar takes a quick look at them, realises they're magical and passes them to Maebh. A quick glance tells her that these, The Scripts of Udlar, contain several advanced magical theories which she might be able to put into use with her own ritual magics.

Tremor takes every other book, stuffing them in his backpack for later reading. They're heading out now.

The party takes the staircase once more, eventually reaching the entrance hall and then down once again into the dungeons. Everything is much as how they left it, the militia talking quietly with those who are trapped in the cages. The men who had been affected by the varghulf curse were still snarling and reaching for the militia who had retreated as far away from those two cages as possible.

"We've found out some information while you were gone." - Jon, the sergeant of the militia, to Harold.
    "Let us here it then." - Harold, taking the offered handshake.
    "As it happens, these people have been taken for use in the mines. The enemy wants these dark gemstones from beneath the castle. Anyone who resists is set upon by the deadwolves and then risen to serve anyway." - Jon, grim and wary. "I take it you were successful? The Wolf King is no more?"
    "Indeed." - Harold, who takes up his ring of keys and starts unlocking cages, until only the last two remain unlocked. The occupants continue to snarl and rage, throwing themselves at the bars.
    "Maebh, you're needed here." - Harold, staring down the bestial villagers.
    The mage comes forward and removes the curses from both the men, leaving them dazed and confused. Harold is opening the doors before they hear a loud crash and some cursing from behind them and up the stairs.
    "In the name of both the gods, why do I keep falling!?" - Unseen voice, who it seems falls over a lot.
    "I shall take the villagers and the militia back out the tunnels." - Harold, who gathers his men and takes them out, Kel'Serrar following him, still wearing the shape of the Invarrian duellist.
    His reasons for this are just to confuse matters, but I get the feeling Sins probably wanted to play a changeling kind of character from the very beginning.
    Maebh leads Tremor, Barandin and Breanna up the stairs once more.

With a hand on her sword, Therressa Bannimagen looks over the oncoming figures.
    "Would you know of Harold Oakenshield?" - Therressa, questioning.
    "Yes, downstairs." - Breanna, laughing.
    "HAROLD! Someone wants you!" - Maebh.
    The Invarrian hears the yell and continues down the tunnels, perhaps slightly faster than before.
    "OAKENSHIELD!" - Theressa, her voice slightly familiar to Harold.
    He stops, the voice ringing a bell as a distant and vague memory stirs. He seems to remember that voice being connected somehow with his sister, and a very blurry night which friends informed him the next day involved a drinking contest which he lost.
    He remembers nothing of the night itself, only the next morning, where he awoke on a softly rocking ship halfway to Unterguardt.
    "It looks like you recognise that voice. Shall we keep going?" - Kel'Serrar, to Harold.
    The Invarrian nods and they continue on their way and leave the tunnels.

The rest of the party follow in their wake, Therressa tagging along. They come to the cart, where a strange horse is grazing near the cart. When they emerge, they see Harold strapping swords to his own horse, Amadeus, with someone who could be his twin offering mocking advice over his shoulder.
    Therressa takes a random stab and guesses that the serious one is the Harold she is after.
    "Oakenshield!" - Therressa, grabbing his attention and throwing a letter at the duellist. He snatches it out of the air and opens it. It is a message from his sister, Helga.

Don't open this if you are player other than Dev, as I don't think he has revealed this to anyone yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Letter from Helga Oakenshield
    Dear brother,

I hope this letter finds you well, though knowing you as well as I do, I rather doubt it to be the case.

Since you have left, our family's fortunes have improved greatly. Just last ice-season I purchased another three longships and fully outfitted them all. A wise investment, for we reaped the profits tenfold come the reaving-season.

Hosker was made captain of the Stormlord's Guard too. He looks just like I remember Father, though Hosker is likely far more skilled with a blade. He might even be a match for you Harold.
    I have a litter on the way too brother. I shall name one after you of course, and I hope that I can introduce them to their other uncle before they grow too old. Likely they will have come by the time you receive this message, but I write to you as things are now.

I have some ill news too I am afraid brother. The insufferable Windchasers had been on my back about our business acquisitions for seasons now. Their scion, that big bastard Ovar, he even threatened me last season. Told me that he'd fire our ships if I sent them out again. I told him that if he did, he'd answer to you, trusting that your reputation would see him off. Unfortunately, it would seem he took it as a challenge and he did try to fire one of our vessels.

Since then I've kept a close eye on his family's dealings, and behold! There were three longships on their ledger which had just popped into existence of their own accord. Naturally, I informed the authorities and the Windchasers are now in disgrace. Of Ovar, I have not seen hair nor hide of him for over a month now, but rumour has it he took his ship and is scouring the Northlands for you.

I don't know where this letter will find you, but I do hope it finds you before he does and gives you some warning. I rather doubt he intends to just have a friendly chat.

With love,
    Your sister, Helga Oakenshield

That's all for now, back soon.

Here we are.
    Last edited by Phoenixguard09; 2020-03-27 at 06:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

We're back.

"I am Therressa Bannin- Banni- Ban- something, I'm not entirely sure. My parents never were really clear on that." - Therressa, struggling with her surname.
    "Anyway, Harold's sister asked a favour of me and she's an old friend so I said yes. And he owes me money anyway." - Therressa, to the rest of the party and gesturing towards Harold.
    "Wait, what money?" - Harold, halting his reading for a moment.
    "You owe me about five sulvers." - Therressa, to the duellist.
    "Hmph..." - Harold, still reading.
    Therressa approaches him, drawing her sword. She brandishes it threateningly.
    "Give me my money." - Therressa, to Harold.
    The duellist looks unimpressed and mounts his steed before drawing his sabre.
    "Do you really want to do this?" - Harold, at ease.

Therressa runs over to her own horse and mounts it, putting herself on a fairly even footing with Harold.
    "Help me out and there's two sulvers in it for you." - Therressa, to Kel'Serrar, who nods thoughtfully.
    The ranger, still in Invarrian form, saunters over to the wagon where Bach sleeps peacefully.
    "I'm holding him hostage Harold, give her the money." - Kel'Serrar, the mercenary bastard.
    "Get Bach!" - LD, to laughter.
    "I'd really prefer if this didn't devolve into inter-party violence. If he's not going to give you the money, I suggest dropping it for now." - Wearily, to Opal.
    "Yeah, that's alright." - Opal.

The two Invarrians size each other up, the party looking between them with bated breath. Finally, Therressa sighs.
    "If you will not give me the money, then I will just follow you around till you change your mind." - Therressa, sheathing her sword.
    "Oh God, Dev why didn't you just give her the money?" - Wings.
    "She was going to follow us around anyway." - Dev, rather magnificently. Don't know how he did it but we were all impressed.
    "Says God!" - Ladyhawk.
    "Hi guys." - To laughter. Sometimes I can be funny too!

Now, with Therressa tagging along on Augustus, the party head back to Dreven, having eventually loaded up the rescued prisoners into the back of the cart, drawn by another horse now that Toirneach is apparently too good for that duty. Due to the prisoners being carted along, the rest of the party who are without steeds walk alongside the militia.

Maebh takes point on Toirneach, Harold next on Amadeus with Bach trotting alongside. The cart itself is driven by Tremor and filled with those who were rescued and too weak to walk. The militia and Kel'Serrar walk alongside and Therressa on Augustus make up the rear, carrying Breanna too with Wolfgang alongside. Within minutes, Kel'Serrar has disappeared, but they do seem to have picked up another prisoner who sits silently upon the cart....

On the way, Harold drops back for a moment and speaks to Ingir, who strides purposefully forward, back to Dreven. The man is obviously in poor condition, but seems driven to use what strength he has left to get home.
    "In the castle, there is a lot of high quality steel-work lying around. I don't know how many enemies remain up there, but one day, gather up some stout-hearted men and take what you can." - Harold.
    "Thank you." - Ingir, simply and Harold can tell that the man is grateful for far more than just the steel.

Upon arriving back in Dreven close to sunset, the first thing they realise is that, despite the hour the people are ecstatic. The people of Dreven stream out onto the main street to acclaim their heroes, who have returned with many of those they feared were lost.
    "PARTY IN THE FORTRESS!" - LD.
    Tremor keeps an eye out for the witch, Magdalyn, but he cannot see her.
    I reveal here that the barkeep, Aurel, has died in their absence.
    "Yeah, he died from awful-****ing-name-itosis."
    "He has been replaced by his cousin, Anel?" - Wings.
    "I kind of like Arnald actually, let's go with that."

Sitting astride a dark grey horse beside the stables, and staying well away from the press is a dark, weathered Danann clad in blackened steel scale armour and a long, hooded green cloak. At his back is a powerful bow and a quiver of arrows and in his hand a leaf-bladed spear.
    Where the party notice him fairly quickly, Harold can also smell more in the area.
    "Let's leave as quickly as possible." - Maebh, who blanches at the other Danann's sudden appearance.
    "Agreed." - Tremor, fingering the hilt of his sword.
    "We are surrounded I think. There's more than just him." - Harold, sniffing the air.
    Tremor dismounts from the wagon and takes aside one of the villagers, pointing over his shoulder at the Danann.
    "When did he get here?" - Tremor, quietly.
    "He came by here yesterday actually. Said he was passing through." - Villager, looking warily at the Danann.
    It's obvious that this individual has most of the village afraid of him. So naturally, Tremor approaches him.

The Danann looks down at the dwarf like he is-
    "Dirt?" - Wings.
    "No, more like you're a child who just rolled yourself in ****."

Meanwhile, Kel'Serrar has taken on a few different shapes and managed to ingratiate himself into at least three separate families, all of them believing he is a long-lost relation. Essentially, he's getting hugs from people he has never met before, but they are utterly convinced that he is their cousin Jon.

Barandin and Therressa, despite having done nothing really have been showered in praise, and in Barandin's case, even clothed. They've been accepted as part of the group who have delivered there people back to them. At some point, Therressa manages to duck off to the Fortress to use the privy.
    And the house-rule strikes again!

Maebh simply ducks away from the press of people and speaks quietly with her horse and Breanna stays out of the new Danann's line of sight as much as possible, trying to avoid being eaten.

Harold walks Amadeus over to where Tremor is unsuccessfully trying to initiate contact with the stranger. Seeing the Invarrian, the mounted Danann rolls his eyes.
    "Why must you bother me? Can you not see I want nothing to do with either of you?" - Stranger, still scanning the crowd.
    "What are you doing in my town?" - Tremor, bluntly.
    "Your town?" - Stranger.
    "Yes, my town. Why are you here?" - Tremor.
    "None of your business. If you want to remain alive, keep to your own affairs." - Stranger. He immediately kicks his horse into a trot and rides out of the village.
    Harold, who has been concentrating on deciphering the scents he can pick up, has determined there are at least three distinct Danann scents in the area, other than Kel'Serrar and Maebh. But there might be more.

Spoiler
    Show
    There is a bit of discussion about overall plans here. The initial plan is to leave as quickly as possible and to go north, to Nordtarnet to save Tremor's sister, and from there perhaps on to Varr, at least for Harold. Of course, that's going to require going over the ocean, so that means leaving Naille and finding a kingdom with a coastline and then chartering a ship.

Tremor finds Barandin in the crowd and takes him aside to discuss matters with him.
    "How can we find Marya? Do you know where she is now?" - Tremor, asking about his sister.
    "Well last I saw, Bain gave her to the Windrider clan for more warriors to expand Nordtarnet's lands." - Barandin.
    "Lands? Nordtarnet had practically no lands, it was but a border-town." - Tremor, confused.
    "Aye, it was at that, ten years ago. Now Bain's gone mad, expanded in all directions at once, but mainly south into the Northmenn lands. A lot of the town of Nordtarnet itself has been replaced by new stone structures. He's turned the place into a fortress." - Barandin.
    "So he has spent the strength of Nordtarnet's fighters expanding his lands?" - Tremor.
    "To an extent, which is why he bargained with other wealthy clans, like the Windriders. Marya for more swords." - Barandin, grim.
    "I will get her back cousin. Now, I have taken some pieces from that bastard we fought up there. Let's start re-forging it to fit you." - Tremor.
    The Dwergar make for Ingir's forge, which is still afire with magical coals, where Tremor produces the armour he has plundered and begins to melt it down.

This will take some time, so the party elect to wait in Dreven for as long as it takes Tremor to complete this. The villagers grant their saviours one of the dwellings now left abandoned by the slain occupants, which the party accept with great gratitude.

Harold stables Amadeus, finds some small amount of alcohol and then finds his militia, deciding to spend some time with them, and enjoy the camaraderie.

Maebh sits in Toirneach's stable-stall, talking with him quietly through their mind-link. Therressa is seeing to Augustus in the next stall over. Upon finishing, the Invarrian offers to brush down Toirneach as well, which Maebh solemnly allows.

Kel'Serrar has continued his quest to ingratiate himself with every person in the village as some kind of relative. So far he has been extraordinarily successful.

Breanna meanwhile has found a tree and is dozing in it, dangling a tail down for Wolfgang to bat at playfully until it gets cold enough that she seeks shelter inside.

The night passes uneventfully.

The next morning, the party engages in much the same tasks. Most of the village is awoken early in the morning by the sound of a hammer pounding steel on an anvil as Tremor takes up his work once more.

At around midday, a party of troops approaches from the road to the west. A small troop, almost twenty men bearing forest-green kite shields, emblazoned with a golden sparrow. A familiar face rides alongside them, clad in a dark grey-green cloak.

"Oh yay! Is it that guy?" - Dev, referring to Carhold I think.
    "I don't think it's a yay Dev." - Ladyhawk.
    "No, it's not a guy. It's a woman."
    "Aww no, not her!" - LD, panicked.
    "Arrgh! I hate her. It's that stupid Dhara, isn't it? Where are my fireballs?" - Ladyhawk.
    "No, it is not Mayor Redwyn's wife, nor is it Dhara..."
    "Oh good then." - Ladyhawk.
    "Oh, NO!" - Dev.
    "Oh yes...." - Sins.
    "Sins is happy to see her."
    "Only because I look like someone else." - Sins.
    "Yes, it is in fact Chirya guys."

Beside her is another man, clad in much the same way as the infantry, in chain with a green leather tabard over it with a sword at his belt. Unlike the men, on his helm he bears a single white feather and he rides a horse.
    Chirya recognises Harold, who is overseeing the militia's drills and rides over to him, ignoring the scowl on the faces of both the leader of the troops and the Invarrian.
    "No hard feelings regarding those arrows I sent into you last we met I trust?" - Chirya, dismounting and offering a hand.
    Harold thinks for a moment before shaking the proffered hand.
    "You're a professional, I understand." - Harold.
    "Not that professional, I missed. If I were that much a professional, we would not be having this conversation." - Chirya, darkly humorous. "Now, would Kel'Serrar still be with you?"
    "We got separated in the fortress to the north. I do not know where he is now." - Harold, lying through his teeth. She knows it too, but will not call him a liar to his face. With a pointed look, she continues.
    "Well, if you do see him, let him know that I want to speak with him again." - Chirya.
    Tremor walks up to where the two of them are speaking, Barandin trailing behind him, having ceased smithing when they noticed the band of soldiers arrive.
    "You are still breathing dwarf? I was sure I had shot truly that night." - Chirya.
    Tremor merely smiles in response, but it never reaches his eyes.

In the light, and with a new day, one can see that a lock of the Dwergar's usually coal-black hair is now a streak of silver-blond. He does not know why this happened, but his dreams last night were troubled indeed, haunted by a voice he was sure he did not know, and yet sounded so familiar. Countless battles played over in his mind, living warriors pitted against hordes of undying monsters. And over it all, flashes of a burning pine wreathed in smoke.

"So why are you here?" - Harold, to Chirya, snapping Tremor's thoughts back to the present.
    "I've been hired by the king of Naille himself, though he is but a whelp. I have been attached to this patrol to guide them through these lands. Apparently patrols were going missing, and word has spread of my woodcraft." - Chirya, leaning into Harold and speaking a little quieter. "There's no plan other than escalating the conflict and screwing with them all. To add to the attraction, they're even paying me to do it."
    "Sounds like fun. How much are you being paid?" - Harold, brow raised.
    "I don't know and to be honest, I don't really care. It's always been about the hunt for me, although it serves my purposes to see as many people consumed by this conflict as possible. If those in power prefer to believe I'm aiding them for the coppers, well that's their problem." - Chirya.
    "So you're coming through here on patrol?" - Harold, fishing for information.
    "Yes, we're going through all of Naille's westernmost lands. There have been some troubling rumours coming out of Summer Hill." - Chirya, stepping back to a more normal distance.
    At this, Therressa, who has been following the conversation from a distance, chimes in.
    "I passed through those lands recently, and the rumours are probably true." - Therressa.

Having surreptitiously overheard this conversation, Kel'Serrar retreats to the party's dwelling and pens a note, which he will attach to another tree outside town.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I haven't gotten it yet, but I will post it as soon as Sins writes it for me.I finally received the letter.

"Well the rumours are frankly quite worrying." - The captain, having dismounted and offering a hand Harold, who shakes it firmly. "Captain Olivar Westbrook."
    "Harold Oakenshield, of Varr. What rumours are there?" - Harold.
    "Wailing monstrosities roaming the countryside, breaking into hamlets and devouring the occupants. And then Elspeth moved against the township. From all we know, at least one legion is still encamped around it. Anyone who ventures there does not return." - Captain Westbrook.

"Except me." - Therressa, to Maebh under her breath.
    "What do you know?" - Maebh, responding in kind.
    "There's a lord who has taken over the town. He has control of these creatures, keeping them locked up during the day, but he releases them at night. There's a Feartarbh in his command too." - Therressa.

"Has Naille sent any forces to check on the situation?" - Harold.
    "I probably should not be saying this, but the kingdom cannot afford to send out armies." - Captain Westbrook.
    "Where are Naille's armies then?" - Harold.
    "You misunderstand me, we don't have them. Extended conflicts with Elspeth and now these attacks from unseen quarters in our own countryside. We don't know where half our men have gone. Communication has broken down and we have lost far too many men on routine patrols." - Captain Westbrook, grim.
    "What happens then if Elspeth makes a move on Naille itself?" - Harold.
    "We don't know. We're keeping large patrols out so that at least we'll have forewarning, but there are only so many patrols we can send out as each has to be much larger than usual or they are never seen again. In fact, this here is the smallest patrol we've sent out since the Carhold fell." - Captain Westbrook.
    "So you're bluffing." - Harold, a statement, not a question.
    "Essentially yes, we don't have the forces to repel them if they attack." - Captain Westbrook.
    "Wait, the Carhold? Isn't that the holding of the ambassador in Summer Hill?" - Tremor.
    "Yes, it was. Lord Edmond is presumed dead, although we have no way of knowing if he has survived what has befallen that town. No word has reached us of his continued survival." - Captain Westbrook.
    "Well I should get back to overseeing the training of these men then." - Harold, shaking the captain's hand once more.
    "It has been a pleasure Sir Oakenshield. Good luck to you and your companions on your ventures." - Captain Westbrook, re-mounting.
    "Till we meet again Oakenshield." - Chirya, also remounting.
    They lead the troops through the village and down the east road.

The rest of the day passes uneventfully and the party enjoy their well-deserved break.

Some small amount of healing for those who had taken wounds and a recharge of Luck too. Tremor also finds out that Magdalyn left with no fanfare in the middle of the night while they were gone, leaving nothing behind. Not even her door.

It is late evening and Tremor and Barandin still work at the forge, intent on their task. The rest of the party have withdrawn to their rooms in their communal dwelling. Then, through the main street of the village comes the sound of hoofbeats. A party of cavalry are riding through the settlement.

Harold, who had planned on a quiet, alcohol-filled evening, sets aside his rum and approaches a window, joined by Maebh and Breanna, both of whom were awoken from slumber by the hoofbeats.

Kel'Serrar, has taken up residence in a family's house as their second cousin-twice-removed Shadie, looks out his window too, but makes no other move. Therressa meanwhile hears the hoofbeats, but rationalises it as the village's horses and goes back to sleep.

Those looking out the window see the party of five horsemen stop outside their house. One of their number dismounts. In appearance, he is tall and gaunt, his long face pale and utterly without joy, fixed in a constant arrogant sneer and framed by brown dreadlocks, held by golden clasps. A longsword and a dagger hang at his belt and a strong bow is at his back. He is clad in a curious leather jerkin and a rich fur-lined brown cloak.
    "Maebh Preachain-Eite! Are you in there?" - Male voice, in the Cainte.
    "Oh no..." - Ladyhawk.
    "I have no compunctions regarding burning down this house. Are you in there?" - Stranger.
    They do not respond.
    "You have caused me a lot of pain. You have caused many people a lot of pain. And you will pay for it." - Stranger.
    Harold finishes belting on his sword and together he, Maebh and Breanna stride outside. Therressa follows them.
    "I heard shouting and couldn't get back to sleep." - Therressa, by way of explanation.
    "Who are you?" - Harold, belligerently to the stranger.
    "I am someone so far above you that you could not even imagine. Stand aside Invarrian, I care only for Maebh." - Stranger, a Danann.

Barandin taps Tremor's arm as the latter is hammering at the steel.
    "Yes?" - Tremor.
    "Your friends seem to have some company." - Barandin, pointing to the standoff between their company and the Danann.
    Tremor leaves the steel to cool and both start to walk to the confrontation.

"Maebh, it has been too long." - Stranger, with a grim smile, revealing teeth far too pointed, even for a Danann.
    "Not long enough Bastaird." - Maebh, revealing she knows who this is.

This spoiler has stuff containing bits and pieces of Maebh's backstory. It's pretty obvious by now, so I guess it's not too bad if the players read this. Just keep in mind that your characters don't know all this until/unless Maebh tells them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bastaird Asaldiog was one of the only mages in Maebh's clan. You know, the one she practically destroyed?

He also had a creepy obsession/fixation with her, which she did not reciprocate in any way whatsoever. He has a propensity for fire magics and showing away, and did so regularly. As his name suggests, he is a bastard son, left abandoned by both his parents. The clan took him in and named him as such to remind the orphan of where he came from.

Over the years the name became a point of pride for Bastaird, who looked for every opportunity to be different from those around him.

When Maebh left the clan burning in her wake, Bastaird took that as a personal insult. He cared little for the fact that she had just destroyed the people who had given him life, but more that in running away she had rejected him entirely, something he could not abide. Using the anger of the clan to his advantage, he vowed to hunt her down and punish her for her misdeeds, though personally he cared only for making her suffer as he felt she had done to him.

And that's the backstory I came up with after I asked Ladyhawk what her stalker's name was and she replied, "Bastard ********."

Bastaird draws a golden dagger from his belt and hold it up in slender fingers.
    "You have something of mine Maebh." - Bastaird, and Maebh can see that the dagger in his hands is almost identical to the one she has in her possession.
    Swift as a snake, Bastaird strikes at Maebh with the golden blade in his hand, but she manages to jump back just in time.
    Weapons are drawn all around. From his hidden vantage point, Kel'Serrar takes up his bow and nocks an arrow.
    Tremor starts running towards the standoff, fumbling in his backpack for a vial of "boom-sauce."

An arrow flashes down from a rooftop and lands in the ground in front of Tremor. The dwarf doesn't even check his run. Two arrows smash into his back, but they barely penetrate the chain hauberk he wears. He stumbles for a moment, rights himself and keeps running. And then hurls the vial with all his strength.

Unfortunately, he missed his intended target. He didn't hit the bow-armed Danann behind Bastaird. He's close though. The vial disappears in a fiery explosion, which wreathes the ranger's horse in flames, which naturally startles all the other mounts. The Danann pack struggle to rein in their steeds while all the ranger can do is throw himself from the saddle as his horse wails piteously. He rips his cloak off and throws it to the ground before the liquid flames can spread any further.

Harold draws a blade and attempts to interpose himself between Bastaird and Maebh, but the dagger-armed Danann backs away, allowing a woman armed with a spear and clad in a heavy chain hauberk with a tough leather sleeved jerkin over the top, complete with a long brown hooded coat, to come forward to meet Harold. She swings the leaf-bladed spear at the Invarrian, but he easily avoids the strike.

Another Danann woman, also armed with a spear, is still on horseback and as she chants under her breath, she is surrounded by a dark purplish wisps of magic. On the ground beneath her horse, a dark purple mist forms and what little of her skin can be seen under her dark cloak and robes glistens a dark purple-black. The mist begins to crawl along the ground towards Maebh, Harold and Therressa.

Maebh and Kel'Serrar in particular start to feel an internal drain on themselves, like an oppression on their spirits. Shrugging the uncomfortable feeling off, Maebh concentrates on calling the power of the storm to her location. She has to really struggle, wielding more power than she had since she immolated her village. The clouds above her rumble with thunder and lightning flashes around her. She directs some of the bolts at her enemies, rocking the mounted mage in her saddle in a flash of clashing magic. A few other bolts flash down, but most just miss their targets, the draining effect on Maebh taking its toll.

From his hidden vantage point, Kel'Serrar takes aim at one of the Danann to the rear, a tall, powerfully built individual, clad in tough leathers and bearing a black forest lion pelt over his shoulders. Kel'Serrar's aim is true and the man falls from his horse, transfixed by the arrow in his throat.

"Mharu!" - The mounted mage, who releases her hold on the magic mist creeping towards Maebh and the two Invarrians and dismounts to run towards where the stricken Danann lies.
    "Naira, take Mharu and fall back! To the forest!" - Bastaird, who helps the burned ranger to his feet before mounting his own horse.
    Harold and Therressa both make for the spear-armed warrior, swords drawn and she intercepts both blades with her spear before leaping back and accepting a hand up from the ranger who has mounted the warrior's horse.
    "You may have won this round Maebh, but I will follow you. You've always been mine..." - Bastaird, before turning and riding out of the village.

And we left it there....

The Wrap-Up:
    Not too bad a session. Unfortunately it wasn't a great session for Opal to join in on due to how long our hiatus had been. We had to spend precious time going over the rules at various points and got very bogged down in off-topic chatter several times.

Unfortunately, Opal felt a little useless at this point, not helped by the fact that she barely got a chance to have a go in combat. Hopefully the next session might be a little more eventful. We intend to have an admittedly short session on the 27th of September. Hopefully we can make the combats run a little smoother.

As usual, thanks for reading and if you have any questions or comments, please go ahead and post. :D

Cheers,
    Last edited by Phoenixguard09; 2020-03-27 at 06:15 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

It has come to my attention that because I took some time to update the first post, some might not have been aware that there was a new session posted.

Just making sure that people know, the session is up.

We're very likely to play again on the 27th of September. And because Wings is looking like being late, it'll be a quick one to write up too. Hopefully.

We're also expecting Dev to have his presentation ready for Whispers in the Dark, which he will run and I will chronicle for him because he hates typing and I'm the one looking at doing journalism for a living.

Anyway, Ladyhawk and I intend to play twins, Branimir and Benedykta Voijinski, or Bran and Benny for short. Sins and Wings will both be playing too. Whether or not LD and Opal join us, we're not sure, but neither have provided any indication on the matter.

Cheers guys, hope you enjoyed the latest session,
    If you did, or hell, even if you didn't, please comment eh? We crave the attention of our peers...
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

Ooh! How'd I miss the update?

Why are your sessions so far apart? You should be having them all day every day!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Sadly we're all pretty busy individuals and setting the time aside is difficult. Add that to my personal rule to not play unless everyone is present, well it makes things difficult. People get sick or have other commitments and I call it off rather than dropping a character out for the session.

We're telling a story and so the protagonists need to be front and centre all the time. Or at least, that's the idea. ;)

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the update. Tell your friends! :D
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixguard09 View Post
    Cheers guys, hope you enjoyed the latest session,
    If you did, or hell, even if you didn't, please comment eh? We crave the attention of our peers...
    I definitely enjoyed reading it! I would have posted earlier, but I've been so busy lately.
    A few odds and ends.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Just a head's up, Wings is sick again so we're knocking it back again. Unfortunately, for at least three weeks due to family commitments on this end.

LD may be going to Melbourne after that too, so that throws things out again.
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Another update,

I've been without internet for the last week and have been unable to keep everyone coordinated.

Unfortunately, we're still a few weeks off another session. On the other hand, we've got some stuff that's happening before the next session that has been given to me online. So that's something to look forward to I guess.

Additionally, I've come up with some good stuff for the next arc.

Anyway, hopefully we get a chance soon.

Cheers,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, just a quick update,

I received Sins' letter to Chirya, so I recommend going back to the most recent write-up and having a squiz, because it's a killer.

In addition to that we have our first interlude due to be posted on the 12th of November. Not sure how I will number it as it is not a session, but it should still be an entertaining read. The interlude will detail the party's journey from Dreven to Beachead, the port-city capital of the kingdom of Greenbay, which is where the next session will kick off.

Speaking of the next session, we are due to play again on the 28th of November, which looks like a pretty sure thing to go ahead at this stage.

Again I apologise for how erratic our schedule has been this year. Hopefully we'll be a bit more stable next year.

In addition to that, it would appear that the Whispers in the Dark campaign in not far from a start date. Lady Darkmoon and Wings of the Opal Sky will not be joining us for these games which, if you are not aware, Duke Dev will be running and I will be scribing. Other than that, the group is the same, though the party very different.

As far as I am aware, Sins is playing a somewhat disturbed necromancer scion of a now-deceased noble family and Wings will be taking on an adolescent druidic necromancer or something like that. Ladyhawk and I will be playing Benedykta and Branimir Voijinski, the twin children of an abusive Roanfaille chieftain who grew up to be successful mercenaries with people issues.

Honestly I'm really looking forward to it, though I am hoping that "evil campaign" doesn't mean, "****-ish campaign."

Cheers everyone, and stay tuned, because more 3 Coins goodness is on its way,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Well we did go awol for a fair time there didn't we?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone from the group by the way. I speak for all of us when I say we hope you have all enjoyed your holidays.

To update, the interlude which I spoke of in the last post will be available over the next few days, as will Session 1.3 of Pirates of Lemaria, which was short and played by Scotticus tonight.

The session of 3 Coins I spoke of earlier which was due in November never went ahead due to Wings falling sick, but we are due to have at least one session next Thursday, which will be good.

Cheers everyone,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Interlude 3.5: New Beginnings

In a time renowned for great warlords and mages, few would carve out a realm to match that of Kresimina, the Witch-Queen of the North. Few too, are the realms which come into existence in such a storm of fire and death and leave so little evidence of their passing.

The realm of Kresimina was one forged from the lands of petty warlords, defeated by the Witch-Queen's undying legions and then reanimated to serve her will. And then, in one night, after almost two decades of her violent and expansionist rule, the realm collapsed. Her forces crumbled in an instant and those lucky few who survived her rampage fell prey to those hungry rulers of the fearful realms on her borders.

It was said the Witch-Queen sought immortality, but it would seem the only immortality she found was that of all great and terrible figures in history, the immortality of print...

From A History of the Northern Realms.

This is a bit shorter than I would have liked, but I guess quality over quantity, right?

Anyway, this is something a little bit different due to the fact that a huge amount of time has passed between sessions, but tomorrow is definitely going ahead and the group decied on a time jump to get us to the action a little sooner.

So here we are, starting from right after the last session...

EDIT* In green are the pick of the comments from the group which occured as I read the interlude to them at the beginning of the most recent session. Hopefully you will find them entertaining.

"Well, we are not going to catch a pack of Danann in the woods at night" - Harold, sheathing his blades.
    "I am struggling to believe this, but I agree with Harold." - Kel'Serrar, walking out to collect spent arrows. "We had the advantage here, but in the woods they can set all manner of traps for us. Besides, they'll be watching us. Maebh's friend said so."

The companions spend the rest of the night in relatively restless sleep.

In the very early hours, Maebh takes Toirneach and retreats to a clearing on the outskirts of town where she attunes herself to the area and practices calling on her magics. She feels that she will have to grow in power to ensure both her own safety and that of her companions.

Some hours later, Harold approaches the blacksmith, Ingir.
    "I am gathering the militia to gather the iron and steel from the Blackfort. If you would like to join us to pick out some choice pieces, you are welcome." - Harold.
    Ingir agrees to accompany them.
    With the Invarrian and the militia go Tremor and Kel'Serrar, the former to drive the cart, the latter simply to get out of the town.

The Blackfort is eerily quiet, as is the forest, but the party are unmolested as they tear through the abandoned fortress in search of workable iron and steel. The place still feels unwelcoming, but no wolves are seen. The place is deserted, but it still smells of death and the air itself has an eerie, ethereal quality.

Naturally, the expedition do not tarry long.

After retrieving the materials from the Blackfort, the companions spend a few days resting in Dreven, recovering their strength before heading north. They know that once they are out on the road, they are fair game for the Danann pack.

Harold spends the days drilling the militia and encouraging a laconic Kel'Serrar to teach them marksmanship. To the militia, it seems as if Harold brings in a new archery instructor every practice session... When not helping Harold, the ranger seeks solitude to continue practicing his own skills, albeit of a more arcane nature.

Tremor on the other hand uses the time to finish his work on Barandin's accoutrements and to continue chatting about what has been occurring at home in Nordtarnet. His cousin is now more heavily armoured than any in the party, which is exactly how the mountain dwarf likes to be in battle.

It is a cold and clear morning when the companions set out from the safety of Dreven, taking the Northern Forest Road to Warding and then on to Beachead, the capital of the coastal kingdom of Greenbay.

Harold and Maebh flank the cart, on Amadeus and Toirneach respectively, Bach trotting along behind Harold, now far too large to sit in the Invarrian's pack.

Tremor drives the cart, with a heavily armoured Barandin beside him. The cousins take it in turns to drive, as Tremor takes any opportunity while sitting down to work on his runecrafting or mechanical designs.

Breanna and Kel'Serrar sit on the back, Wolfgang nestled between them. The marcwolf has picked up many of his owner's mannerisms, and can often be found sleeping on the job.

Therressa and Augustus bring up the rear of the group, walking within easy talking distance of Breanna.

However even the naturally talkative Breanna and Therressa find themselves quietened soon after leaving the relative safety of Dreven.

Despite it being a clear morning when they left the village, the weather seems to have taken a sharp turn for the worse. Barely two hours have passed before an inexplicable mist hangs over the undergrowth. The air grows even colder, and all of a sudden their breath is escaping in puffs of steam.

And then, through the mist, hanging from the tree branches on either side of the road, the shapes of men can be seen. No one is game enough to investigate closely, but the slain men appear to be the remains of a Naillish patrol. Unconsciously, Maebh, Harold and Therressa ride just a little closer to the cart and Bach even jumps onto the back, waking Wolfgang momentarily.

They continue onwards, at a faster pace. They do not know who would have taken out the patrol and strung them up in the trees, but the Danann pack are a good bet, so the quicker they move out of the area, the better.

The next few hours, while terse and watchful, are uneventful and the companions find themselves coming upon a ford over the Greymont Run, the natural border between Naille and Greymont. They cross it as quickly as they can, leaving the troubles of Naille behind.

The southern lands of Greymont are quite similar to those of Naille, grassland broken by dense pockets of forest. It is a three week journey from the Greymont Run to Warding, the fortress which guards the Coldfell Pass, the safest route through the White Mountains.

These weeks are spent bonding amongst the companions, specifically with the newest of their company, Therressa Bannimagen.
    "Banni-may-gen." - Opal.
    "Close enough."
    "Why are you correcting him? She doesn't even know!" - LD.

She is a relatively experienced adventurer and well used to hard life on the road, but is used to walking such a road in isolation, with only the company of Augustus. Despite this, she is a cheerful and friendly soul, and bonds quickly with Breanna, someone of similar temperament.

Tremor meanwhile has become more and more withdrawn, even with Barandin. Every night, the Dwergar is caught in a web of ill dreams. Flashes of hellish battles long past wreak havoc in his mind. Even in his waking hours, the image of a burning pine blazes in his mind, and a female voice which sounds so familiar murmurs to him, though he cannot make out the words.

In short, he is being driven insane, but beneath the burgeoning madness, he can feel a well of power within him, encased by a thin shell. But that shell is weakening. Every day, he chips away at it a little more...

Though concerned for Tremor's wellbeing, there is nothing the companions can do for him and so they watch as their short friend is slowly consumed by his own internal quest.
    Cue torrents of laughter at the short friend remark. The passage lost all impact when the group lost their ****.

Maebh at first was quite withdrawn after the reappearance of Bastaird in her life, but over the weeks of travel, has started to open up with her companions. Despite their differences, she can see that these people she is travelling with are good folk, and worthy of respect.
    "Wait, what?" - Wings, to explosive laughter.
    "She is still hanging out with us right?" - Sins, laughing.

Regardless, she still does not say much unless it is necessary and her nights are troubled. Indeed, her dreams would be no better than Tremor's if it weren't for Toirneach, who senses Maebh's distress every night and shields her from the pain, allowing her to lose herself in his own dreams of running free and careless under the open sky, over an endless green plain.
    "My little pony, my little pony..." - Opal, singing.

Warding, the Gateway to the North. A tall, imposing fortress set into the sides of the White Mountains themselves. To merely get to the massive gates, one has to travel the length of the causeway, a stone ramp a mile long, suspended both by traditional stonework and magical supports. The open southern gate towers above a small party on the stone causeway, three mounted adventurers around a horse-drawn cart.
    "Oh look! It's us!" - Ladyhawk.

The fortress is heavily guarded, Midlanders in the traditional garb of the Watchmen line the high walls. Through the centre of the fortress runs a wide road, kept clear of snow by the near constant traffic of patrols and merchant caravans through the Coldfell Pass. One such caravan is passing through to the south as the companions arrive in Warding, a procession of covered wagons and surly hired blades.

The companions do not stay long in Warding, and leave to the north as swiftly as possible, taking the Coldfell Pass through to the kingdom of Greenbay.

While cold and difficult to traverse, the Pass is kept relatively safe by the constant patrols of Watchmen out of Warding, and the companions exit the pass unharmed.

And that's it for the interlude. Tomorrow's session kicks off in the port city of Beachead, the capital of Greenbay.

Hopefully it will not take me too long to get that all written up and you'll have some stuff to chew on until we can get a definite schedule organised. I am looking forward to this year guys.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Phoenixguard09; 2020-03-27 at 06:21 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

The group did play both the next session of 3 Coins and the first session of Whispers in the Dark, but I have been really busy and haven't finished the write-ups yet. But they are coming.

What I do have for you though, is some artwork.

Okay, here's a thread for the official Norbayne artwork which will be in the book.

The first is a massive bridge which spans across multiple islands in the Norstrand archipelago. No one knows when or how it was built, but it is said to be indestructible.
    Spoiler: The Norstrand Causeway
    Show

The second is a depiction of the deadwolves stalking the forests around the village of Dreven, at around the time the 3 Coins party was in the area and opposing the Wolf King.
    Spoiler: The Wolves of Dreven
    Show

The third features Galehollow, a small village in the Northlands, on the western borders of the kingdom of Stormhold.
    Spoiler: Galehollow in the Northlands
    Show

The fourth shows the Brilliant Towers of Drell and the Golden Cliffs, where those who would study the arcane arts travel to learn from the only formalised academy of its kind in Norbayne. One must be prepared to pay a substantial amount to the masters of the towers for tuition though, so it is only for the nobility.
    Spoiler: The Brilliant Towers of Drell
    Show

The fifth depicts Sunrock, the fortified capital of the southern kingdom of Benden.
    Spoiler: Sunrock
    Show

And lastly, the bridge of Des-Carte which spans across the River Malicent and provides the only crossing for miles.
    Spoiler: The Bridge of Des-Carte
    Show

I hope you enjoy,
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Session 4.1: Over The Cold Northern Sea

In the year 1642 CE, Lord Godrik Ironfist of Nordtarnet died and was succeeded by his second son, Bain. His first son, Tremor had been exiled for crimes undisclosed by the royal clan.

Bain’s rule was swiftly marked by the extreme fortification of the once humble border-fort, and the zeal and speed with which he exerted his power over the neighbouring realms. The first to defy the growing Ironfist influence was Lord Ersun Blackbear of Valewatch. His rebellion was as brutal as it was swift, and Bain Ironfist had Blackbear’s wife and sons executed. Ersun himself was sent into exile as Bain, “Would not take the life of such a noble lord.”

Blackbear was driven into the mountains by mounted warriors, with nothing but a waterskin and a ragged shirt, a death sentence in itself…

From The Bloody History of Nordtarnet.

Welcome to Session 4.1 of Three Coins.

"Shoebox, tissue, band-aid. Random words. String them together." - Sins, testing the microphone.

So the session began with a recap of the Interlude, which was posted previously.

Upon leaving the Coldfell Pass, the party make their way through the forested lands of Greenbay towards the capital of that coastal realm, Beachead.

Beachead is a prosperous trading hub with an absolutely thriving market district. It is bustling when the companions arrive and they soon split up to take advantage of the goods before them. Their overall task is to charter a ship which will take them to the southern coast of Unterguardt, but they are also looking to replenish their personal stocks and equipment, along with warm clothing for the voyage.

"Because I am an Invarrian, would I know anything more about sailing?" - Dev.
    "I'd imagine most of your knowledge would be regarding what ships look like easy targets."
    "Right, but what about just general sailing knowledge?" - Dev.
    "You likely would not know too much more than the average sailor who does it for a living."
    "What about tricks of the trade?" - Dev.
    "Uh, yeah, maybe."
    This could be foreshadowing. Or it might never come up in the future.

"Also, because we're furry-" - Opal.
    "Yes, we still have to wear clothes." - Dev, cutting that tangent off at the pass.
    "Right, but do we need the heavy stuff too?" - Opal, questioning.
    As it happens, Therressa has the Cold of the North Invarrian Trait which gives her Resistance to Cold, but Harold does not. All the same, this voyage was likely to get very cold so I encouraged Opal to get something heavier for Therressa anyway.

There was also a serious delay as several maps were pored over and they made fun of my drawing. Varr looks like a wolf head and Unterguardt looks like a bear's head swallowing an acorn.

Spoiler
    Show
    A reminder, I need to print off another Equipment sheet for Tremor as he has run out of room on his current one due to his travelling library.

Tremor finds a winter-clothing merchant who happens to be a Dwergar. Even more amazingly, the merchant hails from Nordtarnet and Tremor has met him before.
    "And he knows you slept with his sister." - Opal.
    "Did I!?" - Wings, either outraged or gleeful, we couldn't tell.
    "You might have, but that's not going to come up in this conversation."

The merchant, Eidrik Silverhand gives Tremor a discount for him and his friends, for old time's sake.
    The wardrobe additions are as follows:

Maebh:A long furry black coat of wolf-fur which comes down to the ground and has a great cowl. She also gets some warm grey cotton clothing to wear under her customary leathers.

Kel’Serrar: A thick jerkin of layered hides and a long white fur cloak.

Tremor: A thick black coat made of bear hide and fur. The coat has a deep cowl, lined with fur. The collar also can be brought up over the lower face to protect against the wind.

Harold: Thick woollen tunic and breeches in brown with a leather greatcoat lined with bear fur. Heavy leather boots, also lined with bear fur complete the ensemble. Harold bought two sets of tunic and breeches, anticipating that they will be ruined.

Breanna: Heavy, fur-insulated leather boots and a thick, and two fur-lined chocolate brown leather jackets with a detachable hood and black wool face mask.

Therressa: (Have not received Opal’s homework yet.)

Spoiler
    Show
    For getting their homework in by the deadline, everyone added a Skill Point to their total and received a re-roll to be used during Session 4.2. Ladyhawk got hers in first and therefore received an in-game item in that session, while LD's was of the highest quality, replete with images she had found on the web to help describe the exact cut and colour of her clothing. For this, she received a can of coke at lunch and was very grateful.

They are successful in replenishing their supplies and in obtaining warmer clothing, though Therressa does try to 'accidentally' steal hers. As to passage however, this is a bit more difficult. One ship is found which will be big enough to carry the horses. The captain of the caravel is a man by the name of Jon Burgundy, a big man with a southern accent almost as thick as his massive black moustache.

The cart is sold, all the crap within it gathered up by the companions. Only Tremor with his library and Harold with his armoury are overly burdened, though Maebh only realises now that she has had a tower shield in there since the ruins outside Summer Hill.

"Well, how am I supposed to carry this around?" - Ladyhawk, pondering the tower shield.
    "How about if you cast some kind of spell on it to make it smaller?" - Opal.
    "You could just sell it." - Dev.
    "No, I get an advantage if I use it as a component for my shield spell." - Ladyhawk.
    "I will allow you to do a shrink item effect on a successful Channelling Check, to allow you to carry it as a talisman."
    "I love how I have such a massive amount of daemon summoning stuff in my backpack." - LD, to all round sniggers.
    "Actually, now I think about it, I don't do defensive spells. I attack to defend myself." - Ladyhawk.
    "Oh, I've noticed." - To laughter.
    "The best defence is not a good offense, the best defence is burning everything that moves." - Sins, quietly.

The tower shield is sold, although Sins does suggest tying it to the back of the ship and having Tremor sit or surf on the back.

The cart is sold too, and the horse with it.
    "14 sulvers? That's a rip off, I paid a crown for that!" - Ladyhawk.
    "It loses value as soon as you drive it off the lot." - Sins.

Harold, Maebh and Kel'Serrar sort out transport to Unterguardt, telling Captain Burgundy that they need to get to Urik's Landing, a small port-town on the southern coast of Unterguardt in the kingdom of Southreach.

"That's a reasonable voyage. Over two months of sailing at this time of year, in difficult conditions too. How large is your party?" - Captain Burgundy.
    "Seven of us, three horses and two marcwolves." - Harold, counting them off.
    "Okay, well that's twelve sulvers each, plus another four per animal." - Burgundy, adding it up.

"Bloody hell...." - Ladyhawk, unhappy at the expense.
    "Can we kill them and take the ship? We do have two Invarrians skilled in sailing." - Opal.
    "The ship's bigger than Invarrian longships. We'd struggle to run it properly." - Dev.
    "Ah, that makes a lot of sense." - Opal, thoughtful.
    "Who runs the ship again?" - Wings.
    "Captain Jon Burgundy..." - Said slowly and with a grimace. Wings himself named the character.
    "I knew, I just love hearing you have to say it." - Wings, laughing.
    "Every time he says his name, we win." - Sins, to general hilarity.
    Wings originally petitioned for Ron Ted Burgundy, but I managed to dodge that one.

"Come now, you can offer better than that, surely?" - Harold, haggling.
    "Think about it, we're offering you a fighting crew, two more experienced hands and I am a healer of some small ability." - Kel'Serrar, tacking on his piece.
    "Very true. Okay then, would seven sulvers each and another two per animal be fair?" - Burgundy.
    "Fair enough." - Harold, shaking on it.
    "Excellent, we leave on the morrow as soon as the tide allows." - Burgundy.

Seeing as it is mid-afternoon, the companions split up to take advantage of the bustling market and Tremor, Barandin and Therressa go to a tavern for some lunch.
    "I order my traditional delicacy! What is it?" - Wings.
    "Uh, haggis."- To laughter.
    “Really, that's the best you could come up with?" - Wings, laughing.
    “It could have been goat balls." - Opal.
    “Well, you're a dwarf, therefore Scottish, therefore haggis. And if you're not careful, I will introduce a Rory McEnroe and he will be a dwarf, because Rory is a classically Scottish name and... I don't know where I am going with this." - Leaving everyone else confused.

Breanna picks out a crossbow and shortswordat Harold’s recommendation, while Maebh heads off on her own and takes in the sights. Plenty of exotic materials, jewellery, foodstuffs and other miscellaneous items. And then she sees a merchant selling eggs.
    “Question. Why is he selling eggs?” – Opal.
    “None of your flipping business! Heeeey!?” – LD, trying to rouse some appreciation.
    “Nooo.” – All, with sniggering.
    “You do need to look at things sunny side up….” – Opal, trying her luck.
    “Noooooo.” – All, again.
    “I win this round!” – LD, gleeful.
    “I’ve told you all before, no poaching my jokes.” – Sins, quietly.
    “You…. You are the king.” – Ladyhawk, to Sins who nods graciously.
    “I’m feeling pretty ashamed now.” – LD.
    “Why? For the pun or because you lost?” – Dev.
    “Because I lost.” – LD.
    “You could say, she’s a bit cracked up about it…” – To groans of disgust.

One of the eggs on this man’s stall is around the size of Maebh’s fist which appears to be made of stone, but the merchant assures Maebh that there is a living creature inside.
    “This is an exceptionally rare creature, one that you do not readily find in the shell. I suggest thirty sulvers?” – Merchant, rubbing his hands together.
    “That sounds reasonable…” – Maebh, thoughtful.
    “Hold on, hold on, we can do better than that.” – Tremor, who had caught up to the mage.
    Tremor takes a closer look at the egg, and is astounded by what he notices. Not only is the man telling the truth about the legitimacy of the egg, but it is likely even more valuable than the merchant realises. What’s more, Tremor can determine what the egg holds, recognising the egg from illustrations he had seen in his youth.
    “You do not run into too many dragains, even in this trade now do you?” – Dev, getting ahead of himself.
    “It… is not a dragain.” – To groans.
    “God damn it!” – Ladyhawk.
    “It is… a mantikor.”
    “I want it.” – Ladyhawk.

Maebh hands over the money for the mantikor egg, and then purchases some furs to keep the egg wrapped in to keep it warm on their sea voyage.

Tremor sees a shard of a bright green gemstone on the stall of a merchant selling precious gems and manages to haggles him down to three coppers. The Dwergar does not divulge to the merchant that he recognises the stone as one that held the eldritch life of the deadwolves of Dreven, but pockets the stone as soon as the money changes hands.

He then joins the other companions for dinner at a seaside eating establishment. And they enjoy their meal thoroughly.

The next morning sees the companions loading their horses onto one of the lower decks of the caravel, Winter Wind. Toirneach goes on far more willingly than Amadeus and Augustus, though this is hardly Augustus’ first sea voyage. Captain Burgundy approaches the companions as Therressa moves to help the crew put Augustus aboard.
    “We shall be making sail soon. If you could see fit to just make yourselves useful, that would be much appreciated.” – Burgundy, donning his wide-brimmed, feathered and spiffy hat.
    “If anyone has an injury, feel free to send them my way. I can stitch wounds and set broken bones.” – Kel’Serrar.
    “That would be great.” – Burgundy, sweeping an arm toward the gangplank to invite them aboard.

The initial month of the voyage is not only uneventful, but almost pleasant. The crew swiftly take to the companions, particularly Harold and Therressa who do more than their fair share of physical labour onboard, and Kel’Serrar, who proves his worth when a freak accident caused a man to fall from the mast. The man’s arm was broken in the fall, but all are confident he will make a full recovery thanks to the ranger’s swift treatment.

The second month however is less cheerful. The closer the ship gets to Unterguardt, the worse the weather gets. It is cold, it is windy and the rain is just torrential. Even during the day, the sky is black and Maebh keeps a massive ball of light aethyrically tethered to the prow of Winter Wind at all times. Despite how useful this is, much of the blame for the absolutely foul weather is directed at her and her magic, which it is believed has offended some powerful denizen of the deep.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Opal leaves for a bathroom break at this point.
    “The voyage has either pissed Therressa off, or given her the ****s. Either way.” – To outrageous laughter.
    “She didn’t understand the meaning of ‘poop deck,’ did she?” – Dev.
    “Is this being put in to the write-up?” – Ladyhawk.

“I have been through many a winter storm, and this is blatantly ridiculous.” – Captain Burgundy.
    “I just love hearing him say his name.” – Sins, laughing.
    “I would love to be powerful enough to call up a storm of this magnitude, but it would not be in our interests to cause this.” – Kel’Serrar, pointedly.
    They debate the merits of either talking the captain down or devolving into full-fledged mutiny.
    “The lowest levels of hell are reserved for mutineers and traitors.” – Dev.

“I have been through many a sea-storm myself, and my gods have never let me drown.” – Harold, pulling his medallion out and showing the captain the image of the Invarrian god of the sea.
    “I guess all we can do is keep praying then.” – Captain Burgundy, who then stalks past the companions, including Maebh who is concentrating intently on her tethered ball of light.

Despite their prayers, the weather gets worse. Visibility, despite Maebh’s torch, becomes a serious problem due the sheer amount of rain and wind lashing the vessel. When it is not raining, it is snowing and even the swell on the open water is half-frozen. The companions are all grateful for their warmer clothing, but it is not long before they are sodden and chilled to the bone. At some point Maebh gets thoroughly angered at the ice falling from the sky and wrenches her magic into a glowing shield above the ship. It doesn’t prevent all the rain, ice and snow from falling on the ship, but it does stop that coming from directly above, making the weather a little more bearable.

“So while they’re freezing their butts off, Harold and I are just like, ‘It’s a bit chilly out?’ right?” – Opal.
    “No, I think we’re freezing our tails off too.” – Dev, laughing.
    “Yep, you guys are freezing your tails off. The rest of you mob,” – Sweeping my arm around the table to encompass the rest of the party, “Are almost catatonic. If they’re not, they’re playing marbles with bits of their fingers which have fallen off.”

Maebh’s magic makes conditions just a little bit better. It is still bitterly cold, but at least the crew can see and stand on the top deck without being driven into cover by the piercing rain and ice. As an aside, Kel’Serrar was kept busy, stitching up lacerations from the falling shards of ice.

It has been over two months since the Winter Wind left Beachead when a battered caravel crawls into the port of Urik’s Landing in the early evening. It is a wonder that the ship was not run aground when making port, but thanks to Harold, Therressa and the good Captain Burgundy, the crew are able to bring the ship in without any major damage.

Urik’s Landing is a small town on the southern coast of Unterguardt in the kingdom of Southreach. All that can be seen from the ship is two vague rows of wooden longhouses. Despite the weather, which has barely relented, there would appear to be a substantial dockside brawl erupting on the pier, right in front of the companions.

EDIT*
    Spoiler: Urik's Landing Mudmap
    Show

I apologise for the quality of the map, it was done on the fly in the middle of the session. And I'm a ****e cartographer anyway.

Having been cooped up onboard ship for so long, many of the companions are looking for an outlet for their violent tendencies.
    “A brawl?” – Ladyhawk.
    “Essentially, it’s a public brawl, so you guys can just weigh in and hit people. You have free reign to whale on people to your heart’s content.”
    “Yes!” – Wings.
    “Oh **** yeah!” – Ladyhawk, to laughter.
    “Dwarf-tossing!” – Wings.
    “Can I toss the dwarf in?” – Dev, rolling dice.
    “I want to be tossed!” – Wings, bellowing in rage. It was actually kind of terrifying.

Spoiler
    Show
    This was essentially just something fun to do. They’ve been good for almost an hour and a half in session now, and their characters have been so for months. It has also been a long time since our last game, so I wanted to just give them all an opportunity to cut loose.

How I ran this was not as a combat, but more a loose collection of skill checks. I just asked each person one at a time around the table what they wanted to do, applied a skill check to it, got them to roll and extrapolated from there.

We had a hell of a time! :D

“Am I able to draw a weapon?” – LD.
    “Well, they’re all unarmed at the moment, so it would be a bit unfair.”
    “Right, but I’m a possum. Oh hang on, I’m a possum with a higher Strength than the dogman pirate viking. I’ll be right. Can I fly-kick people in the face?” – LD.

Harold grabs Tremor and throws him into the brawl, the Dwergar roaring his anger. Breanna practically flies off the ship and kicks a man in the face, rolling into the shadows. Maebh vaults over the side of the ship and starts to put people down with her spear, deliberately not using the head of her spear, just the shaft to crack legs and heads. Tremor, having picked himself up off the ground, walks up to the first man, kicks him violently in the shin, headbutts him as he falls forward and then walks away to his next victim like the short hairy badass he is.
    “I have three actions. I want to kick, headbutt and walk away.” – Wings, distilling Tremor’s fighting style into a simple three pieces.
    Kel’Serrar also leaves the ship, but skirts the brawl. One man does run towards him, but the ranger coolly steps aside and clotheslines him, laying him out on the floor. He’s after an inn, someplace warm and dry to rest after a trying voyage.

Another man is running towards Maebh, unaware that Breanna is right in front of him. She slides between his legs, leaps up behind him and then delivers a sharp blow to the back of the head.
    “I just realised that this brawl is being fought by people punching in mittens.” – Sins.
    “Essentially, you guys are just big furballs. Especially Tremor.”
    “I am Breanna, the fluffy destroyer of worlds! I am fluff! I AM DEATH!” – LD, to hysterics.

Maebh continues to lay people out with her spear, cutting through men like a blunt scythe.

Therressa meanwhile just sits on the side of the ship with a pilfered wineskin, laughing at the carnage. After some time, she gets down and sorts through the belongings and smallchange of some unconscious brawlers.

Tremor puts down another man with brutal prejudice, before squatting in the mud to steal his money. Because, why would he pass up on cash?

Harold on the other hand makes himself useful and collects their animals from the ship’s hold. He emerges from the depths of the ship leading three horses and two wolves. In the time he was below-decks, the brawl has come to a halt due to the tender attentions of his companions.
    “Did I win?” – Ladyhawk.
    “Oh yes. Not even a single scratch or bruise.”
    “Awesome.” – Ladyhawk.

Kel’Serrar swiftly determines that there are two taverns in Urik’s Landing. And that’s where things become more difficult. The families who own these taverns hate each other, for reasons which are lost to the depths of history, and the rumours of which do not bear much contemplation.

One way or the other, the companions must get into one inn or another, because it is just so cold outside.
    “These two families… They wouldn’t happen to be called the Blackmanes and the… Battle-Birthed?” – Ladyhawk, laughing.
    “It was Greymane and Battle-Born by the way.” – Dev, rolling his eyes.
    “She knows, she’s just changing the names slightly because that’s what I do. And you know what? Fine, that’s their names.”
    “If you have names already, use them instead. I was just… taking the piss I guess.” – Ladyhawk, laughing.
    “Well I did have one, the Irontusks.”
    “Oh that’s cool. Use that one.” – Ladyhawk, to general agreement.
    “So we have decided the family names by democracy.”

More coming soon....
    Last edited by Phoenixguard09; 2020-03-27 at 06:29 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

And we're back.

The inns are run by the Irontusk and Blackmane families, and they literally face each other across the main road of the Landing.
    “So McDonalds and Hungry Jacks?” – Opal.
    “Yeah pretty much, but more swords, axes, blood-“
    “Efficiency…” – Sins.
    “Similar number of rats though…”
    “So who supports the Stormcloaks? Sorry, I’ll be quiet now.” – Ladyhawk, laughing.

The Irontusk Inn looks marginally larger and nicer, but the Blackmanes have a larger and a better kept stable. Whatever inn they pick, they will not be welcome in the other.
    “Well then we know what we’ll pick. I’ll go the ****ty one, because the other might look nicer but this one has better food.” – Wings.
    There is silence for a moment, before…
    “I said better stable mate, not a better kitchen.”
    “Better steaks right?” – LD, thoughtful.

“Captain Burgundy.” – Harold, who passes the man on the street. “Which inn do you recommend?”
    The Captain looks troubled and glances around to see if there are any unwelcome ears nearby.
    “Well I have never set foot inside the Blackmane Inn, but I have stayed in the Irontusk Inn and it is very pleasant. Of course, I will likely never see the inside of the Blackmane Inn, for I would surely be killed if I tried.” – Captain Burgundy, quietly.
    “How do they know? Do they sit outside and watch who enters the other inn?” – Therressa, scoffing.
    “Indeed, each inn has employees who stand in that booth out there, see it?” – Captain Burgundy, pointing to a little shelter just off to the side of the Blackmane Inn’s porch, and then to a similar booth on the other side of the road outside the Irontusk Inn.
    “The man within records the name if known, or a detailed description if not, of everyone who ventures into the other establishment. These taverns are not so much taverns, but cults.” – Captain Burgundy.
    “I say screw the taverns, we’re hardened campaigners. We can sleep out here.” – Maebh, belligerent.
    “You think it is cold now lass, it is nothing compared to the chill of the northern nights. We need shelter.” – Harold, shaking his head.
    “Well then, I want to find out more.” – Maebh, stalking over to the Blackmane lookout post.

“Excuse me, I just wanted to get some information.” – Maebh, to the lookout, who frantically writes down a note on his ledger before snapping the book shut.
    “What can I help you with?” – Blackmane lookout, in a thick northern accent.
    “What started this feud?” – Maebh, blunt.
    “Well, to be honest I don’t know, it happened so long ago. Most stories say that the scion of the Blackmanes had relations with the daughter of the Irontusk family many years ago. The Blackmanes say that the match was arranged and the loved each other, the Irontusks that she was abducted and held against her will. Whether that story is true or not, and even then, who is at fault, we cannot know. All we can do is choose a side and live with the undying hatred of the other family.” – Blackmane lookout.
    “Well you have been completely unhelpful. I’ll stay here then.” – Maebh, beckoning the companions up to the lookout post.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn’t exactly sound like a reasonable cause for a feud which stretches back over a century, but there are a few things to keep in mind here. First, that the town has always lacked strong authority and many families have leave to rule themselves in most ways. Secondly, that the town was originally settled by Invarrians, who are quick to stand upon their honour. And thirdly there is the fact that Invarrian females are only capable of bearing a single litter of pups in their lifetime. Naturally an unmarried female who bears a litter becomes practically unmarriageable as she is incapable of continuing her would-be husband’s bloodline.

So in this story, both families essentially believe their scions were stolen. No matter who tells it, the daughter and her pups were put to death, though neither side agrees on who actually performed the deed.

“That makes my backstory all the more tragic.” – Opal, who is correct.

Spoiler
    Show
    “I preferred the Greymanes anyway.” – Ladyhawk, laughing.
    “Because you are a traitor.” – Dev.
    “No because the Battle-Borns were *****.”

The animals are stabled outside the Blackmane Inn and the companions sign the admittance ledger, with varying degrees of grudging recalcitrance. In the end, the whole party signs, but no illusions are made to the fact that as of entering, if they now set foot on Irontusk property they can and possibly will be killed on sight.

“Let’s do it! And steal their alcohol?” – Wings, laughing.

The Blackmane Inn is very well-furnished and quite pleasant. Plenty of portraits and other paintings adorn the walls, with information regarding the history of the town. The interior is far nicer looking than the exterior, which is easily explained by the fact that Urik’s Landing is, at the moment at least, a windy, rainy, icy hellhole.
    “But it’s my hole.” – Wings.
    Simply for choosing them over the Irontusks, the Blackmanes provide a free meal to their newest clientele.
    “Sweet!” – Most of the party.
    “I’m starting to think something’s not quite right here. We’ll go out to the stables in the morning and find that we have eaten our horses at dinner or something.” – Opal.
    “If that happens, I’m murdering the whole town.” – Ladyhawk.
    “Maebh has a mental link with her horse anyway. As soon as something was up, she would be aware of it.”
    “Right, but Therressa wouldn’t know about Augustus.” – Opal.
    “Toirneach’s pretty clever. He’d let Maebh know as soon as anything weird happened.” – Ladyhawk.
    “Aww, are they friends?” – Opal.
    “He thinks Augustus is alright.” – Ladyhawk, laughing.
    “Guys, we have better things to think about than a horse bromance!” – LD.

The innkeeper turns out to be willing to supply the companions with as much alcohol as they can stomach. Except Tremor. The man couldn’t afford to part with that much.

“This weather is really bad, even for our winters.” – Blackmane Innkeeper, a patchy brown-furred Invarrian.
    “How old is this town?” – Harold, at the bar.
    “Around 150 years old. Urik was an Invarrian, much like ourselves. He was looking for new lands, was blown wildly off course and had to put in on the south coast. The original town was made by Invarrians, but it has since been recolonised by Northmenn and other peoples.” – Blackmane Innkeeper, whose name is Alrik.
    “And who rules here?” – Tremor, he too sitting and drinking at the bar.
    “That would be Theyne Embermald, sworn sword to Jarl Sidgrun of Southreach. He lives in the hall atop the hill on the eastern edge of the town. You can’t miss it. He’s got some problems to the north too, your kind up in Nordtarnet.” – Alrik, polishing a tankard and looking pointedly at Tremor.
    The Dwergar just grunts and keeps drinking.
    “Is there anywhere we can buy a cart and, a mule perhaps, some kind of pack animal?” – Maebh, cradling her mead.
    “I’m sure you could a farmer around here willing to part with a cart and beast. It is a hard task trying to eke out a living from the soil around here, but there are those brave or foolhardy enough to try it. Old Man Hays might be able to help you, just north of the town and right at the second signpost and you’re on his land.” –Alrik, trying to be helpful.

The companions finish their drinks and their meals and then head off to sleep, unfurling sleeping rolls and bedding down in two well-furnished rooms on the second floor of the establishment, save Tremor who falls asleep at his table drawing and drinking into the night.

The next morning, the companions take a table in the common room and are served breakfast, a hearty meal of steak, bread, bacon and eggs. The friendly innkeeper, Alrik, sits with them for a while, sharing information.
    "The Landing is not exactly a safe place to be at the moment my friends." - The Invarrian, in a low voice.
    The companions lean into the centre of the table to hear him better.
    "Please, tell us more." - Harold, tucking into his bacon.
    "Well to the north lies Nordtarnet, which was not exactly a problem until quite recently. The place was a hill-fort basically, on the border of Borsa and Rivervind. That was until Bain Ironfist took over. They say he murdered his father, the old lord and was behind the exile of his older brother. Since then, the lands south of the Blackspine have gone mad. Nordtarnet is now an impregnable fortress, or so the scouts say. Those as make it back anyway, and they are few enough. Southreach's northernmost village lies on the other side of the Iceflow, the river which divides the lands of Nordtarnet and Southreach. As you can imagine, the more Bain Ironfist expands his territory, the more lords he manages to bring under his sway." - Alrik.
    “Why would he want to come south? This is hardly prime farming land.” – Harold.
    “Well, meaning no disrespect to your kind master dwarf, but the Dwergar are viciously ambitious little bastards as a rule. And the more Ironfist has under his control, the more they will want to stake their claim on everything they can.” – Alrik, to a fair bit of laughter. Even Tremor cracks a smile.
    “That’s hardly all there is going on here either. We’ve had other issues of late. The farmers in the outlying hamlets claim that a ferocious beast is roaming the marshes and killing their livestock at night. And then within the town itself, someone has been killing girls on the street. No one ventures out at night anymore.” – Alrik.
    “There’s a serial killer in town.”
    “No, there are six of us.” – Opal.
    “Definitely not you guys.”
    “We have time to solve that. Give us a night and there’ll be seven serial killers in this town. Give us another night and we’ll be down to six.” – Sins.
    “That sounds quite familiar.” – Breanna, thoughtful.
    “The last victim was actually a serving girl from this very inn. We’re still looking for someone to replace her. I told her she should have stayed here the night, but the girl was always wilful. They found her in the morning, cut in half on the side of the main street.” – Alrik.
    “Have there been killings from both sides of the feud?” – Sins, fishing for leads.
    “Aye, there have. All girls though. Well, women at least, and Midlanders or Northmenn as a rule. I’d best start serving the other clients. It is a poor innkeep who neglects his guests to eat his own breakfast.” – Alrik, taking another rasher of bacon, smiling and then leaving to serve other tables.

“I have news of mine own which I must share. The Resistance hides in the Blackspine, the mountains north of Nordtarnet. They are dangerous, but there are those who know them well.” – Barandin Stonefist, sitting next to Tremor and addressing the companions in a hushed voice.
    He takes out a map of Nordtarnet, drawn and labelled in his own hand.
    “I will travel on ahead and alert them to your imminent arrival. The sooner we get you an army cousin, the sooner we get you back on your throne.” – Barandin, nodding to Tremor.
    “Do we need them?” – Maebh, thinking her haunch of steak is overcooked. She would have preferred it to have still been alive when served on the table.
    “My brother is a dangerous foe. We’ll likely need all the help we can get.” – Tremor, downcast.
    “Aye. So I will leave for the north as soon as the rain lets up and hope I can find a contact. It will, like as not, take me several days to find anyone. If you do not hear from me in ten days, assume I am dead or captured and follow your own plans. Do not tell me of them though, for if I am captured I cannot betray your secrets if I do not know them.” – Barandin, helping himself to another tankard of ale.

A discussion on the relationship between Tremor and Barandin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The relationship between Barandin and Tremor is interesting. The Stonefist clan have been the chatelaines of Nordtarnet for generations, and have been closely tied to the Ironfists for just as long.

Tremor of course is an Ironfist, and Barandin is the get of the latest Ironfist-Stonefist intermarriage, with Tremor’s late father Godrik having married off his sister Meredith to the head of the Stonefist clan at the time. As such, Barandin and Tremor are cousins of comparable age who grew up together, engaged in the Dwergar coming of age rites together and were sworn battle-brothers. They were just about as close as they could be without marrying each other, though this was strained by their respective exiles.

In Tremor’s case, the fact that Barandin didn’t stop him from killing his other battle-brothers continues to haunt him. For Barandin, he cannot help but hold a grudge against the Ironfists for the way Bain has treated him, the last scion of a house so close to his own.

Despite this, Barandin is about as loyal to Tremor as a Dwergar can be to another. I’ll leave that up to you to decide if that’s enough.

The companions spend most of the day in the Blackmane Inn, enjoying the hospitality provided and acquainting themselves with the townsfolk. Very few townsfolk do enter the inn however, the driving rain enough to deter all but the most religious of drinkers. The day is quiet and uneventful, and most of the companions spend their time reading, eating, drinking and chatting, whiling the hours away.

Tremor’s nightmares have lessened in intensity, aided in part by the excessive alcohol consumption during his waking hours and the fact that by the time he passes out in the evening he is so utterly exhausted that the dreams have little to no hold on him. Despite that, he awakens with the same images of the burning pine and the female voice in his head. He can only make out snatches of words and phrases, but he has heard them often enough that they stick in his mind, and even in the day, his head rings until he drowns it out with the alcohol once more.
    “Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up….. The dead…. Arise….. Rise now…. AWAKEN!” – Mysterious voice.

Barandin leaves at dawn, the rain having lessened enough to allow him to buy a pony and be on his way. The companions see him off in the privacy of their own rooms, not wishing to draw attention to his departure. It is still raining, cold and grey, but at least the rain and snow has lessened and the gale-force winds have died considerably. It is bearable, but hardly pleasant.

“Okay, I want to solve these murder mysteries.” – Ladyhawk.
    “Monster hunt!” – Dev.
    “Why can’t we do both?” – Wings, like the little girl from the Old El Paso advertisements.
    “All in favour of monster hunt?”
    Dev, Wings and LD raise their hands.
    “All in favour of murder mystery?”
    Ladyhawk, Sins, Opal and Wings raise their hands.
    “Did you just vote twice?” – Dev.
    “Don’t tell me how to vote!” – Wings, laughing.
    “All in favour of starting an all out war between the two pubs?” – Opal.
    “AYE!” – The deafening response.
    “See this? This is why we can’t have nice things.” – LD, laughing.
    “See we have had Corpsewalkers and undead wolves and undead kings and… That’s a lot of undead… Anyway, my point is, can’t we just avoid the supernatural stuff for once?” – Ladyhawk.
    “Unless the serial killer is some kind of sorcerous cyclopes or something. In which case, well, bugger.” – LD.

Talking with Alrik provides some more information regarding the murders too. The companions are once again seated at a table with Alrik, this time over a warm lunch and cold drinks.
    “Basically, women on the streets after dusk are getting ripped apart.” – Alrik.
    “Any commonalities between women?” – Harold.
    “Yes, all between 20-45ish really. And as I said before, generally Midlanders and Northmenn women.” – Alrik.
    “So, they are prostitutes.” – Breanna, which draws frowns from most of the people in the conversation.
    “Parts of the bodies have been missing too, though what has been missing from each victim tends to be unique. The latest, as you know, was split in half vertically. I do not know what kind of blade could have made such a cut though.” – Alrik.
    “Is there a doktor in this town?” – Harold, fishing for information.
    “Yes, Doktor Jurdric. He is very good, though quite old. The only doktor worth a damn for many miles. Why do you ask?” – Alrik, curious.
    “Just wondering. Any doktors not worth a damn?” – Harold.
    “Well, two I guess. Old Jurdric’s apprentices, his son Endric and the hired hand, Welyn. I don’t quite see what this has to do with anything though.” – Alrik.
    “I call it’s one of the apprentices!” – Dev.“What parts have been stolen?” – Tremor.
    “Well it varies from girl to girl. One poor lass was missing only the skin from her face, flayed perfectly. No other mark on her by the way, just her face missing, from ear to ear. Others have been split open and organs missing, though what exactly was taken I could not say. Three girls have been missing limbs too, one her legs and two others their arms.” – Alrik.
    “So the one missing her face, was she the first?” – Tremor.
    “No, the third. There was not much found of the first lass.” – Alrik.

“Someone’s trying to make a golem.” – Opal.
    “Or the perfect girl…” – Ladyhawk.
    “That’s… That’s gross.” – Dev.

Harold points at a map of Urik’s Landing on the wall.
    “Could you just quickly point out to me where these bodies have been found?” – Harold, to Alrik.
    “I’ll do you one better…” – Alrik, who stands up and retrieves the map from the wall. He fetches a stick of charcoal from his pocket too and starts to mark crosses on the map.
    “Now this map is a little out of date as it shows what the Landing looked like a good fifty years ago and the town has grown since then, but you should still be able to figure it all out.” – Alrik, marking the map.
    When he is done, there are a score of crosses marked on the map, up and down the main street which runs through the Landing from the dock.
    “There, you may keep that.” – Alrik, sliding the map to Harold, who nods his thanks.
    “Strange that no one should see these events taking place, even if it is at night. The main street is a strange place for murder.” – Harold, thoughtful.
    “Well you saw the ****storm that’s been out there these last few days. No wonder no one saw a murder, we could barely see the town when we arrived.” – Therressa, making a good point.
    “You’re right lass, save that the storm has been wracking the town for, say, the past two weeks? These murders have been taking place for over a month. If anything, they have lessened in frequency since the storm began in earnest.” – Alrik.
    “A month… How long has doktor Jurdric been living in Urik’s Landing?” – Harold, questioning.
    “Over forty years my friend.” – Alrik.
    “Hmm, very interesting… How about the apprentices?” – Harold.
    “Well Endric was born here, some seventeen years ago. Welyn however, well… I guess he arrived not long before the murders began.” – Alrik.
    “Any history of mental instability in the doktor’s family?” – Therressa.
    “None to my knowledge. The doktor and his son are, by all accounts, some of the kindest people you would ever meet. The doktor is like a father to many of the folk here. He is quite old now though, and with the weather being the way it is, he has gotten rather crotchety, but, well…” – Alrik, trailing off unhappily.
    “That’s just old age, yes… Any others arrived in the last few months? Other than us of course.” – Harold, kindly.
    “Well, none as have stayed around. A mercenary band from the far south before the storm broke and a merchant caravan the week before, but other than that, no. We do not get many visitors out here. Oh, a party of Dwergar from the north too as emissaries, a few months back, but they were not here long, they just wanted passage to the capital.” – Alrik.
    The Invarrian innkeep gets up to leave and then turns back.
    “One last thing I forgot. These bodies, where they are found, there are no signs of struggle. No blood, save that which pools beneath the bodies and freezes in the snow. It is quite strange. The one thing to be grateful for is that whoever it is has not started breaking into houses to do his bloodwork.” – Alrik, giving a friendly nod before leaving to serve other clients.

“Well then, that was grim. I’m going to go see Bach. I haven’t seen him since we arrived.” – Harold, preparing to take his leave.
    “I think I might check out where some of these bodies have been found. May I borrow that map?” – Therressa, to Harold, who slides the map across the table to her.
    “I think someone needs to go talk to these doktors.” – Kel’Serrar, grimly.

Maebh, Tremor and Therressa
    In the end, Maebh, Tremor and Therressa head to the site of the first murder, which has naturally been disturbed since the victim was found.
    Successful Channelling Check from Maebh.
    To Maebh’s keen eyes, the wisps of magic which still permeate the ground are barely visible, but even the small traces left are enough to determine for what purpose they were cast. The spell is one of preservation, and it stinks of daemonic energy.
    “There was a very dark magic at play here.” – Maebh, in a low voice.
    Therressa kneels on the ground and starts to sniff, but she comes up with nothing, the cold so bitter her nose starts to hurt and she needs to sneeze. But after doing so, so close to the ground she can see almost a shadow beneath the layer of snow, and starts to dig, unearthing a simple round iron medallion on a chain, engraved with the symbol of a dagger. She too can smell the magic, but it smells like Breanna’s backpack, not wholesome at all.

Harold, Breanna and Kel’Serrar
    After collecting Bach, Harold, Breanna and Kel’Serrar go to the good doktor’s surgery, a small wooden building on an alley off the main street.
    “Is there a police force here?” – Dev.
    “No there isn’t-“
    “Guards?” – Dev.
    “No, it’s vigilante justice all the way.”
    “Lynch-mobs!” – Sins, gleefully.
    “Essentially, if you have a problem, you go kill it yourself. If you can’t kill it yourself, maybe it’s not such a big problem after all.”
    “So how does the ruler keep them in line?” – Dev.
    “The theyne rules by dint of being the biggest badass in the town. Whenever a bigger badass comes along, there’s a challenge and the winner is the new theyne. The current theyne defeated his father in an honour duel when he came of age. Upon winning, he let his father, who he loved quite dearly, live out his days in comfort. Usually though, the loser dies. Being a patricide is actually seen as a mark of honour amongst the Northmenn, provided it was done openly with honour.”
    “Wow. So hang on, the biggest badass rules, right? So I could take over the town?” – Ladyhawk.
    “Well there’s a reason this guy is still the theyne. He is a serious hardass.”
    “So… I could take over the town?” – Ladyhawk, to laughter.
    “Well he’s a massive man, at least eight foot tall, clad in the ancestral armour of his family and armed with one of the largest greataxes you will likely ever see. You want to give it a try, go ahead.”
    “Right, but could he survive a lightning bolt to the face?” – Ladyhawk.
    “Only one way to find out really, but he is a reasonably influential noble from a long line of men who held their title through violence, in a land where you need to kill anyone who decides they can take you. He has money, power and influence, so there’s a good chance that he would have magical defences too.”
    “Well that’s bull****. You just don’t want me to take over the town.” – Ladyhawk.

Upon knocking on the door, it is opened by one of the apprentices, a Northmann with sandy blonde hair.
    “Well met strangers. Do you have an appointment?” – Young apprentice, who is slightly taller than Harold. It is rather disconcerting for all three of the companions.
    “Ah no, but I would like a check-up please. At my age, it’s a good idea and I’ve had some wounds recently which I would like to get checked over.” – Harold, mixing business with practicality.
    So the companions are let into the surgery and they look around, Kel’Serrar and Breanna left in the waiting room while Harold is looked over by the outlander, Welyn while the old doktor Jurdic overlooks the proceedings. The procedure goes well, though Kel’Serrar had already done a good job of making sure the party’s various injuries do not fester. They don’t even charge the old raider for their services as his scrapes and such are far removed from their usual fare, which consists of cauterising missing appendages and binding hands missing fingers due to frostbite, misused farming implements or hungry farm-dogs.

The companions meet up once more at the Blackmane Inn for dinner to discuss the day’s events.

And we left it there…

The Wrap-Up:
    All in all, a pretty good session I felt. We did plan on running two sessions that weekend, but sadly did not exactly do so, instead playing the first session of Dev’s Whispers in the Dark, which will be coming soon. (To a store near you!)

I did ask for some homework in the last week, trying to get some detail on the actual clothing the party has in their possession. Some gave more detail than others, but all of them got back to me within the week, which was a pleasant change. I think offering real-life rewards along with the in-game ones may have been part of it.

The next session will hopefully see a resolution of sorts to the murder mysteries, along with the monster hunt. I am certainly looking forward to it.

The next session is scheduled for the 21st of March, which makes it the last session before my birthday. That’ll be nice. We hope to have a steady schedule this year due to the issues last year with organising game days. We’re hoping for a rate of once a month. Hopefully that might keep everyone reasonably well-acquainted with the game system. I can hope, right?

As usual, if you enjoyed this write-up, please comment. We do crave the attention of our peers. Any questions, feel free to post them on the thread too. I’m more than happy to discuss the setting with you.

That’s all for now,
    Cheers and thanks for reading,
    Last edited by Phoenixguard09; 2020-03-27 at 06:30 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Just thought I would let everyone know, we played Session 4.2 yesterday, and had over four hours of game time. Which was awesome.

Next time on 3 Coins:
    The murder mysteries gripping Urik's Landing are resolved, the party goes to hell and comes back out and Tremor finally realises his power.

Oh, and Breanna is left stranded in a dark and dangerous place...

EDIT* We also have some artwork to display:

First, the map of Nordtarnet, the kingdom which has risen to the north under Tremor's brother, Bain Ironfist.
    Spoiler
    Show

And then secondly, LD did some quick concept sketches of Harold and Kel'Serrar.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers guys,
    Last edited by Phoenixguard09; 2015-03-24 at 08:32 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, small update guys,

Session 1.3 of Pirates of Lemaria is available to be read here.

As I stated before, it's a solo game I am running with my brother. We played this session ages ago, but I only finished writing it today. It would really make the little guy's day to see some comments regarding it, so if you wouldn't mind, a comment on here or over there for me to show him would be awesome.

I've also finished writing up Session 1.1 of Dev's Whispers in the Dark game. I'm just waiting to hear from the man himself as to how he wants to present it, either here or on a thread of it's own. Hopefully that will be up soon as it is a pretty good session and we're looking forward to playing more.

As to 3 Coins, I've said before that we're really hoping to be a bit more consistent this year in terms of regular play, and with that in mind we have already tentatively pencilled in the next two sessions.

You also have Session 4.2 to look forward to, which is over four hours long. I see it being a long write-up.

Talk soon, and don't forget to comment,
    PG
    Campaign Logs:

The Norbayne Campaign