New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Horror Novels

Google "creepypasta".

Some are meh. Some are hillarious. Some are downright creepy. And since there's a lot of it, you're almost bound to find something scary for yourself. For example, I find New Messages quite unsettling.
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2012-11-13 at 12:35 PM.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm a big fan of creepypasta. There's not much really good stuff, but what there is is genuinely good.

3. - Top - End - #33

The Haunting by Shirley Jackson. *shudder* Love me some Jackson. The original movie is pretty freaking scary, as well. Oh, and I haven't finished reading it, but I would recommend The Exorcist. Just don't read it at night. Or by yourself.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

My favorite horror classic was Frankenstein. (the book, not the movie).

In the book, the monster was just called the monster. And it didn't have green skin at all! If the real thing existed, I would be scared for dear life.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Okay, it's not one story by itself, but a collection of short horror stories.

The Book is called 'HELL 101' by Joseph Swift. It's scary, cool stuff, in the vein of Stephen King if you like his work.

Highly recommended, this book is
    "2 words: God Mode"
    "I blame you" (used as a greeting)
    A zombie? Why I never...oh wait.

6. - Top - End - #36

I've been reading through HP Lovecraft's Collected Stories. Almost all have been enjoyable, most have been interesting, and some have made me think, but I think only the last one I've read I've found truly creepy or horrific: Herbert West: Reanimator. My goodness it's creepy. Wish some of those questions were answered, though...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Herbert West is great. I also like the prose-poem Nyarlathotep. It has that same kind of feeling of creeping unease as Yeats' The Second Coming.

Many of his other stories really use too much of a stilted form of language to be too unsettling, I think. But it's great to read of the things he thought of. Boy did he have some weird ideas.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2012-11-26 at 09:05 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #38

The constant teasing of the details on and on and on often gets more frustrating and obvious than it is tantalising.