New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Anti-Magic

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Anti-Magic

Is it possible to hold a celestial or other divine(ish) being captive through physical restraints while negating any of their abilities via anti-magic spells? If not why?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anti-Magic

Antimagic Shackles. I don't know or remember how to get them though. Maybe make continuous shackles of AMF and eat the GP costs? THey would have to be sturdy as well. Like Adamantine. And the lock would have to be hard to pick.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

You can if you want to. There are a few problems with that though:
    - You can't call anything easily into AMF.
    - How will you put the called creatures in physical restraints?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Antimagic Shackles. I don't know or remember how to get them though. Maybe make continuous shackles of AMF and eat the GP costs? THey would have to be sturdy as well. Like Adamantine. And the lock would have to be hard to pick.
    They are from the Book of Exalted Deeds IIRC
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    You can if you want to. There are a few problems with that though:
    - You can't call anything easily into AMF.
    - How will you put the called creatures in physical restraints?
    Being that I am the DM I dont need to know the how as much as the result. Just want to check if it was legal.

And I would assume that if one were to be able to render said creature unconscious then the shackles could be put on.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1005 View Post
    Being that I am the DM I dont need to know the how as much as the result. Just want to check if it was legal.

And I would assume that if one were to be able to render said creature unconscious then the shackles could be put on.
    Considering they mention putting them on by grappling yes. Just make sure they are strong enough that the creature can't snap them (because once broken they stop working).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1005 View Post

Being DM solves the biggest problems with that

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Considering they mention putting them on by grappling yes. Just make sure they are strong enough that the creature can't snap them (because once broken they stop working).
    Or use magically enhanced obdurium mancles to hold the creature in lace and put Antimagic Shacles on weaker creature(s) sitting next to it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post

Or use magically enhanced obdurium mancles to hold the creature in lace and put Antimagic Shacles on weaker creature(s) sitting next to it.
    Anti-magic Shackles only affect the creature wearing them (and the rest of their gear besides them) so that wouldn't quite work. Had fun times with a character that wore a set all the time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Uh, there's nothing stopping you casting a planar binding spell and then slapping down an AMF on the next turn.

You could even have another spellcaster do so as a readied action.

There is also a mold that creates an antimagic field.

And if you have a permanencied antimagic field, you could just have a simple plate of stone on an armature - make the magic circle on the plate of stone, and have it swing around into the antimagic field. Keep in mind your circle will disappear inside the antimagic field - Shape Spell might be necessary to avoid this. Or just a Riverine cage/Forcecage, as without magic most things can break through that.

For double bonus points, then the next point it swings around to, make it contain a bazillion traps, and countless outsider corpses (those that stood their ground against the intimidation).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Anti-magic Shackles only affect the creature wearing them (and the rest of their gear besides them) so that wouldn't quite work. Had fun times with a character that wore a set all the time.
    Hmm I can't find Anti-magic Shackles description in Book of Exalted Cheese but this page and my memory say they create AMF with non-zero radius so you could put them on creature A, put the creature A next to chained creature B to prevent both of them from using magic.

Or you could use custom AMF-generating item.

Or natural dead magic zone.

The last solution has the advantage of not giving players loot