New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Artificer caster level

Hi, first post here. Been awhile since I messed with D&D so my rule-fu is a bit rusty.

If a 10th lvl Warlock 10 took one level of Artificer, could he use his 10th lvl caster level with his Artificer abilities, or would he still be limited to a caster level of 3 for creating items?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer caster level

Why would you dip Artificer if you were 2 levels away for the Warlock Crafting?

Anyway, you use the Artificer CL I think.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by barna10 View Post
    Hi, first post here. Been awhile since I messed with D&D so my rule-fu is a bit rusty.

If a 10th lvl Warlock 10 took one level of Artificer, could he use his 10th lvl caster level with his Artificer abilities, or would he still be limited to a caster level of 3 for creating items?
    Probably not. Typically caster levels from different classes do not stack for any spells or abilities. Even if they were two similar classes like sorc and wizard your caster levels wouldn't stack - a sorc3/wiz3 casting fireball will only get 3d6 damage regardless of that fact that his overall character level is 6.

I'm also rusty, so I could be completely wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    You know, not even wizards can beat wizards. If you cross-cloned Batman and Chuck Norris with the dark and terrible feeling in our hearts that there is indeed a god mocking our lesser existence, you would get a human wizard. With stringent WBL rules.
    "In times like this I ask myself - What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McSmack View Post
    Probably not. Typically caster levels from different classes do not stack for any spells or abilities. Even if they were two similar classes like sorc and wizard your caster levels wouldn't stack - a sorc3/wiz3 casting fireball will only get 3d6 damage regardless of that fact that his overall character level is 6.

I'm also rusty, so I could be completely wrong.
    A Sorc 3/Wizard 3 can't even cast Fireball (level 3 spell); but otherwise you are right.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Ok, not asking about "stacking" the levels. I'm talking about using the Warlock caster level to satisfy level requirements for the Artificer ability.

Also, this is a hypothetical; not trying to actually do this. If I were to do this, i would probably have my Factotum take a 1 level dip just to get the ability. Being able to scribe some divine scrolls would be a nice addition to his versatility.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

I'm AFB and cannot check the exact wording on the Artificer's Item Creation ability, but I would be shocked if it allowed you to use it in conjunction with Caster Levels from other classes.

Note that your Artificer CL for the sake of hitting the minimum required for crafting items is +2, so an Artificer 1 can craft items that require CL 3.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You can indeed use your Warlock cl to meet cl prerequisites with the artificer's item creation ability. The item creation feats are what allows the character to make the items. The item creation ability only allows the artificer to meet the specific requirements of a given item with a series of skill checks, rather than legitimately having the prerequisite spells. If you legitimately have a CL of 10, you don't have to emulate that with a check.

Though as has been pointed out, there's not much point since two more levels of warlock will get you virtually the same ability without costing you any warlock progression. Sprinkle on two levels of chameleon (RoD) and you can craft whatever you want as long as the item creation feat you need doesn't come at the end of a feat tree, like craft construct for instance.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign