New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default A Plant-Race Druid's Wild Shape

Hey guys,

With the release of the Advanced Race Guys, our group has been messing with creating new races. Right now I've created a Plant-type race.

My problem is that I want to play a Druid with this race based around my Wild Shape. However, it turns out that Plants are immune to polymorph. Now I was wondering: would Wild Shape count as an exception on this, seeing as you can only cast it to yourself and it's pretty much vital to being a druid?

If not, is there a way to get around this immunity?

What would you allow as a GM?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Plant-Race Druid's Wild Shape

As a DM, I would allow a Plant PC to have immunity to any harmful polymorph affect.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Another thread here recently noted that you can voluntarily lower immunities.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Not familiar with PF, but in 3.5 Wild Shape is based on Alternate Form, not Polymorph. Given how PF polymorph is broken into a bunch of different spells, it would be extremely bizarre for the concept of polymorph immunity to continue to exist anyway. I'd chalk it up to a copy-paste error.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Not familiar with PF, but in 3.5 Wild Shape is based on Alternate Form, not Polymorph. Given how PF polymorph is broken into a bunch of different spells, it would be extremely bizarre for the concept of polymorph immunity to continue to exist anyway. I'd chalk it up to a copy-paste error.
    Wild Shape in PF is based on the Beast Shape line of spells, which is a Transmutation (Polymorph) spell. Plants are indeed immune to polymorph in PF.

Edit: Just to explain why this might be useful, spells like Baleful Polymorph are Transmutation (Polymorph) affects.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2012-11-05 at 04:30 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Is the fact you can voluntarily lower immunities mentioned somewhere in the rulebook? I'd like to give our GM a solid rule, rather than agreeing on something outside of the books.

And thanks for the replies, it's just weird that they allow you to make a race that's immune to one of the most useful features of one of their core classes. Then again, the race builder allows you to do a lot of weird things.