New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default PF: Additional Ranger Combat Style?

So a couple of months ago I ran into a discussion of a feat that allowed one to get additional combat styles where there were two sides arguing as to whether that meant one could simply choose bonus feats from either combat style's list when one took a level in ranger that afforded such or if it meant that one gained the bonus feats for both combat style tracks up to that point & possibly into the future as well. Came up in the discussion that it wasn't mentioned in Treantmonk's guide because the guide was written before the feat was published and Treantmonk wasn't updating his guides to keep pace with developments.

I saw a couple of threads about PF Ranger switch hitter builds recently which reminded me of that feat and decided to see if it had ever been clarified, and could not for the life of me find either that feat or the threads I participated in that discussed that feat.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? Did they successfully errata that thing down so well it was removed from the internet entirely or did I just hallucinate this whole thing?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-11-05 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: PF: Additional Ranger Combat Style?

You might be running into an overloaded words problem. Rangers have combat styles, yes, but there are also (completely unrelated) style feats, mostly intended for use by monks. There's a feat called Combat Style Master which makes it easier to switch between those.

That's the closest I can think of to what you were talking about (at least from Paizo material). Is it possible that's what you're remembering?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't find an Additional Combat Styles feat. For the normal Ranger, you only get your combat style feats (without prerequisites) at the specified levels; otherwise, you need to take them whenever you gain a feat and meet all prerequisites.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    For the normal Ranger, you only get your combat style feats (without prerequisites) at the specified levels; otherwise, you need to take them whenever you gain a feat and meet all prerequisites.
    Unless the feat specifically calls out otherwise. For example, Aspect of the Beast, which says:

A ranger who selects the natural weapon combat style can take this feat without having to meet the prerequisites (even if he does not select Aspect of the Beast as a bonus feat).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I recall the feat you are referring to.
    It was 3rd party, and very poorly worded.
    The "sane" version would be take a Feat to select from EITHER Combat Style. This winds up a touch on the weak side, but can still be handy because Combat Style feats Ignore Requirements, so you 'could' ignore DEX on your Switch Hitter, and still pick up some nice Archery feats. Still kinda weak though.

The "OMG this is so BORKED" version would be "take this feat, you get 5 MORE feats!"
    I shouldn't have to explain how this might possibly be a tiny bit on the strong side...
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide