New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Vs Play: Dungeons of Dredmor!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    I would like to thank the ability to create walls and robots out of thin air for my undeserved victory, as well as the complete lack of spine which prompted me to run away from diggles so many times.

I wouldn't remotely claim to have the better build, or apparently the best luck judging by my gear, but cowardice has seen me through.
    Maybe this is less game-breaking than it was in the olden days, but did you use much in the way of thaumite spam (plus walling a room off)?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Maybe this is less game-breaking than it was in the olden days, but did you use much in the way of thaumite spam (plus walling a room off)?
    DoTs in general are a lot less powerful now; Getting it resisted on cast means it does *nothing*. Also they got enemy resistances working correctly, and there's a fair number of enemy types that don't take a lot of damage from the primary damage varieties that Thaumites do.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2012-11-07 at 01:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

THE VICTOR: REYNARD

"And the moral of the story is: transdimensional portals are bad for your health. Despite a sound trouncing of the Monster Zoos and generally rock solid play from both Challengers, the round goes to Reynard despite a highly suicidal entertaining run by Science Officer. A big round of applause for both our players."

To our surviving lemming - we're going to start taking votes for a new theme and settings. You have until we've finished voting (about 2 days) to finish your run one way or the other.

A good point was raised about the DLC for the game. The free DLC is a no-brainer and obviously will be allowed but how do folks feel about allowing the paid DLC (Conquest & Diggle Gods)? I'm going to put my foot down and say no unofficial add-ons though.

I've also had a thought about the number of Challengers. Because with this type of game there is really only 1 victor (either the sole survivor or the one that whacks Dredmor first), I'm considering running the Challengers in groups of 4, depending on the number of interested people we have. I'll add a table to the first post so that we can see at a glance who's interested.

Theme: "Is it a good idea to set that off in here?"
    NTTG: Yes
    10/15 levels: 15
    Difficulty: Dwarven Moderation
    Voting for:

One off votes:

I Haz DLC: Yes, all of it!
    DLC Allowed: Yes, allow Conquest & Diggle Gods.
    Number of Challengers per round: Up to 4
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-11-07 at 03:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regarding DLC I'm leaning towards allowing both Diggle Gods and Conquest - but with the caveat that actually entering wizardlands is forbidden. There's not a *huge* balance issue with more skills available and more random stuff, but the xp and loot advantage extensive ab(use) of the wizardlands can offer would make the contest a bit unfair for non-wizardland owners.

If we do allow wizardlands, I still think we should enforce that only wizardland codes found in one's own playthrough can be used. Otherwise things can just get ridiculous.

Theme: "Joe the Commoner"
    Voting for:

One off votes:

DLC: Yes, allow Conquest (but see above) & Diggle Gods.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Theme: "Vikings, the other white meat"
    Voting for: "Physics crying", "Vikings, the other white meat"

One off votes:

DLC: Yes, allow Conquest & Diggle Gods.
    Number of Challengers per round: Up to 4

Edit: @V: Works for me. Particularly since wizardlans usually gives me a terminal case of the dead.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2012-11-07 at 11:27 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    Regarding DLC I'm leaning towards allowing both Diggle Gods and Conquest - but with the caveat that actually entering wizardlands is forbidden. There's not a *huge* balance issue with more skills available and more random stuff, but the xp and loot advantage extensive ab(use) of the wizardlands can offer would make the contest a bit unfair for non-wizardland owners.
    This sounds fair to me. If we allow the DLC, I think we'll have it as skills only. Sound good?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    This sounds fair to me. If we allow the DLC, I think we'll have it as skills only. Sound good?
    Skills only? If so, does this include crafting? And non-crafted items from the new expansion? Or will I have to, say, abandon any Ulmish Blacksteel plate I come across?
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2012-11-07 at 11:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #38

I was thinking more along the lines of "anything but the actual wizardlands".

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of "anything but the actual wizardlands".
    ...Are we still allowed to go to Diggle Hell if we decide to be grievously stupid?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

...Are we still allowed to go to Diggle Hell if we decide to be bravely adventerous?
    I don't have any complaints about this.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, if someone is without Wizardlands, we should all have the same handicaps. (Note - I have all expansions)

Infinite Stash: Allowed (not a major factor)
    New Skills: ...
    Encrusts: No (cries)
    Portal to Death: No, unless it's Diggle Hell :P
    Super Equipment: abstain.

May I be allowed entrance? I'm interested!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kerplunksploosh View Post
    Well, if someone is without Wizardlands, we should all have the same handicaps. (Note - I have all expansions)

Infinite Stash: Allowed (not a major factor)
    New Skills: ...
    Encrusts: No (cries)
    Portal to Death: No, unless it's Diggle Hell :P
    Super Equipment: abstain.

May I be allowed entrance? I'm interested!
    =/

Its when we start getting stipulations like these that things become overly complicated and I'd rather axe the DLC altogether rather than have people umming and aahing about whether they should be doing something or not using XYZ item.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Is it possible to turn off the expansion stuff altogether without reinstalling it? There's just so much new stuff with the Wizardlands, and it should be fair for all parties.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there anyone invovled in the vs. who doesn't have the expansions? If so I'd be happy to help chip in to make it an even playing field (its not like they cost that much).

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

It works well on clones, since they seem to take all the damage. Aside from that, it wasn't terribly useful.

To our surviving lemming - we're going to start taking votes for a new theme and settings. You have until we've finished voting (about 2 days) to finish your run one way or the other.
    Do I need to continue giving updates on progress, or just announce when I die and how it happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

The occasional update if anything silly or interesting happens would be cool - don't leave us hanging here! ^_^

As for the rest, let's get a show of hands who has the DLC and who doesn't. Edit it in to your votes. =3

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

I have all DLC.

Have yet to make a vote I think. On this thread, anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

*raises hand* All DLC on-hand.

And no, I don't believe it's possible to selectively disable the expansions once they are installed, at least not without an obnoxious amount of commenting out items/skills/spells/etc in the XMLs. Frankly I'd rather just leave it at 'don't use the Wizardlands' and let it go, and I think that should be the rule even if all participants in a run have the Wizardlands expansion- the Wizardland mini-dungeons provide a generally safe way to farm extra XP and items (as long as you aren't silly enough to pull the Evil Clone lever!), which feels like it runs counter to the point of NTTG 'dive as far as you can on your own luck/skill.'

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

All DLC here as well. And willing to help one or two people get it if needed.

20. - Top - End - #50

Well, I broke down and shelled out the $3 for the Wizardlands DLC. Is there anyone left now without it?

If you're going to throw it open to multiple challengers, I'd say they should compete on Rogue difficulty, to keep things (such as their heads) rolling.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

How about we pair players against other players who have the same DLC they have? This way, everything the participants have is fair game; people with DLC can utilize it, people without can play against those without it also. No one gets an unfair advantage/disadvantage, there's no worry about whether something particular is allowed or not, and we got more ways in which people can die hilariously go 'splodey all over the walls get diggle-jiggle'd have a T'Char root salad have fun.

Also, full DLC here, yo. And getting a little confuzzled about voting now; do we vote here again if we voted in the other thread, or... what's the conduct for this digglicious process now?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    How about we pair players against other players who have the same DLC they have? This way, everything the participants have is fair game; people with DLC can utilize it, people without can play against those without it also. No one gets an unfair advantage/disadvantage, there's no worry about whether something particular is allowed or not, and we got more ways in which people can die hilariously go 'splodey all over the walls get diggle-jiggle'd have a T'Char root salad have fun.
    This is an excellent idea, actually.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

So scrap the random dice rolls for challengers then?

Also, keep the voting and discussion of Vs games here, general chitchat about all things Diggle in the other thread? =)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is an excellent idea, actually.
    Stained glass diggle-yayness!

Also, keep the voting and discussion of Vs games here, general chitchat about all things Diggle in the other thread? =)
    Seems like a good idea; only thing is if we get really focused on a topic of discussion from this thread, say, about a build or somesuch, we can boop it over to the other thread, then?

So scrap the random dice rolls for challengers then?
    Everyone doing a playthrough at once would save people waiting for their turn to come(no I'm not impatient why would you even say that shut up you lie YOU LIIIEEEE), but I can imagine the thread would get too hectic with that many people at once.

Maybe have something like three DLC-players compete while two non-DLC-players compete? It get's five done in a batch, while (theoritically) not overloading the thread with too many people at one time. Also, I get the impression there's more DLC than non-DLC, but that's just a guess.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I was going to do a proper post for the next floor, but it was really dull. I would open the door, let the Deathbot go in, close the door, then walk backwards and forwards until the sounds of hacking and slashing and general murdering stopped. Then I would open the door, sift through the remains for loot, and repeat at the next door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

In a vain attempt at redemption I built another character with the same skills as the last. Made it to the 8th level of the dungeon at level 18, where I died to a Daimyo-Bot mk IV, after I accidentally acid-blasted myself. Maybe I'm not so good at this game after all... Still, highest score for a character that didn't kill or be killed by Dredmor.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

So where are we at in getting the vs. bit back in gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Have we decided on a theme and settings yet?

At the moment, I'm just thinking of going with 4 people on the next run that have all the DLC.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

ROUND 2 - FIGHT!

"Let's get this show back on the road folks. This time, we're sending four suicidal fools brave heroes into the Dungeons, in a vain attempt to make Diggles an endangered species. Let's meet our Challengers!"

* Cogwheel
    * Miscast Mage
    * Corindale
    * Wookietank

Don't worry if your name hasn't been called folks, you're going to be in the next group of four along with your extremely sexy hostess.

At our audience's request, we're going for the following setup:

Levels: 15
    DLC: Allowed

As our audience seemed very divided on the subject of theme (*smacks audience*) we'll go with "PHYSICS CRYING" as that seemed to be fairly popular for the last vote.

Challengers - you have 2 days to do your skill builds, explain them and then off we go!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Welp. I'll start tomorrow, I guess.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman