New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default SW Saga Edition: Players building a Base?

Just wanted to check with the other Saga gamers out there: I have players who wish to build their own small facility: living quarters, a hangar bay, a machine shop, etc. How much does this cost?

I've gone through the books, and the closest I can find is the Bases and Battlestations text, which does not talk about costs, only the perspective of creating a dangerous area for PCs to adventure in, CLs, etc.

Have I missed something, or will I need to homebrew this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: SW Saga Edition: Players building a Base?

While I haven't read all of the books (some are too hard to get ahold of), you may want to extrapolate from the upkeep expense at the end of the core book equipment chapter.

The Guide to Starships already did this somewhat - advising that comfortable upkeep could keep a starship in service - paying for all docking fees, licenses, and fuel. It wouldn't be too much of a leap to suggest that keeping a cool facility in service would require them all to pay Wealthy upkeep - 5,000 a month.

Now, I know you're looking for the "up front" cost of getting one of these facilities. Sadly, there isn't a good baseline for this, though it is important to note that an unremarkable light freighter can be had for 20,000 credits. A big factor of the price would be location - if they're on a desert planet, you might only need 20k to build a prefab structure and an open-air landing pad. In a crowded city, this might skyrocket to 2 million, or anywhere in between.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I was going to do a combination of extrapolating costs for lifestyle upkeep and lodging costs, etc, and also do a comparison of how much it costs to buy a new 'car' in Saga versus real life, and use that same ratio for some building costs. Ironically, it comes out pretty close to the cost of some ships.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I agree that looking at ships is probably a great way to start. Obviously, you'll have different things to consider (depending on where the base is), but starting with the base price of a ship with comparable facilities, and probably taking some off to account for, you know, not being a spaceship.

To be honest, the most 'official' way of doing this seems to be to use the starship modification system in Starships of the Galaxy to make a 'static' starship, by removing the engines etc, maybe free up an emplacement point or two due to not needing it to be airtight, cut the cost a little to compensate for that, increase the cost to compensate for needing to buy land (unless you're talking about a frontier base where land is free).
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ooh, that's a good idea. Starships totally has prices for passenger space, facilities, etc. Good point.

They already bought some land. My players' home base is the city of New Taris, on the planet of the same name, being repopulated and resettled in the post Endor period.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you decide to let them go with modifying-a-starship as building-a-base, let me know how it goes! Could totally come in handy in the future to have some practical experience to see if that works.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

It also depends on how much of an advantage it gives the players in your game and how you've crafted your story. If the advantage is negligible, or you don't plan on making have a significant impact on your game, you can handwave a lot of the price, as it will become just another bit of scenery. If the advantage is substantial, make them pay in full.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

In my past games I tend to give them a base structure and make up costs for what they want. You could take it a step further, have them fight some local crime lord and his facility could hold more or less everything they need to set up their base.

Then again I'm always for less work and more reward as a DM.
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I run a game where every credit counts and some PCs have almost none, while others have the Wealth talent. PCs pay their personal monthly upkeep, ship loan, and so on. :) So, if they want to build something that gives them a benefit (and there is a story one, too) it will cost.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    I run a game where every credit counts and some PCs have almost none, while others have the Wealth talent. PCs pay their personal monthly upkeep, ship loan, and so on. :) So, if they want to build something that gives them a benefit (and there is a story one, too) it will cost.
    Yeah you credit pinching bastard. We have to scrap and scrounge for nearly everything.

In all seriousness, the land and building is also going to be used to start a political campaign. The group has a YT-2400 and Y-Wing Courier class ship to maintain. The Wealth talent PC often ends up paying for monthly living expenses. We often end up stealing or runing odd jobs (outside the plot) to earn extra cash.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, I see one of my players managed to bang on the keyboard long enough to generate a sentence.

:)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

furious Re: SW Saga Edition: Players building a Base?

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    Well, I see one of my players managed to bang on the keyboard long enough to generate a sentence.

:)
    HATE YOU
    Evil bastard... Why do I put up with you?
    Last edited by Thrysierius; 2012-11-13 at 07:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Its always interesting to hear about the little roleplaying things from other games. In my game, for example, we've stolen no less than three starships (mostly freighters) over the last five sessions, using up their supplies before letting the police take them or hand them over to their owners. We haven't actually had to buy anything except armor (seriously, 100% of party expenses has been armor and power packs)...

I've got to say, I'd probably rather have to scrimp and save for every little purchase rather than chilling out with 10k in the bank and nothing to spend it on (Jedi here).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sidmen View Post
    Its always interesting to hear about the little roleplaying things from other games. In my game, for example, we've stolen no less than three starships (mostly freighters) over the last five sessions, using up their supplies before letting the police take them or hand them over to their owners. We haven't actually had to buy anything except armor (seriously, 100% of party expenses has been armor and power packs)...

I've got to say, I'd probably rather have to scrimp and save for every little purchase rather than chilling out with 10k in the bank and nothing to spend it on (Jedi here).
    Good lord... I wish I had that problem. Every month, I have to shell out 3,000 CR to a Glottlephib who owns the "loan" on my ship. Power packs are the least of our concerns, we just pick them up off the enemies we kill or recharge them in the ship's small machine shop.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It helps that you have a fully trained engineer that can resolve many equipment concerns, Thryserius.

Pyre enjoys the credits.

As for Jedi with money to spend, my suggestions are:

-Upgrading any weapons they carry, including non-lightsabers should they be proficient. "Masterwork", scopes, other weapon fittings as appropriate to the weapon, especially from Scum and Villainy.

-Useful equipment, the "Batman belt" as it were. You'd be surprised how many PCs don't own a breath mask.

-Save up until you have 30K or so, buy a used freighter, and lease it out to someone else to make cargo runs with. Collect your fee each month. :D