1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Need advice for a 4e character

So I have an idea for a character who should be created as a PC, even though he will be controlled by the DM, but I don't know what class/es to stat him out as. I'll give his background, and the way that I want to play him and see what you guys can come up with.

So the world is a pretty dark medieval world with rare magic items mostly concentrated in the upper class. There are a couple of primary kingdoms, but Lordran and Cennaria are the two biggest ones. The character I'm creating is part of Lordran. He is a military official, and part of a select group of soldiers known as the Lord's Blades. They act as the eyes of the empire, serving as spies, assassins, scouts, or whatever else the empire needs of them. They get in, then get out unnoticed. They're implements of precision rather than of trauma, like the regular forces of the empire.

The character's name is Eric, although most people just call him The Huntsman. He's one of the government's top agents, and to many he's earned his name by hunting down enemies of the state. He's the equivalent of Solid Snake for this world. In combat he prefers to stay back and engage from stealth, striking fast and hard, often taking down his opponent before they have a chance to react. If combat does become prolonged he is known to have a lightning fast attack style, striking several times in quick succession, and interrupting his opponents attacks with parries and ripostes. He's known to pursue his opponents across continents and oceans as need be, and its rumored that it would be easier to escape a bloodhound than him, although he's just as comfortable hunting his prey in a city. As far as weapons go, for some reason I picture him as using a set of long knives, dual wielded or otherwise, giving him a sort of butcher or assassin persona. I picture him using the knives to hamstring his enemies, or kill them, then throwing them at enemies that are farther away if need be.

I'm thinking that a rogue/ranger hybrid or multiclass would work well since it would give him the sneakiness and multiattack capabilities that I want him to have, but I also feel like the avenger would work well for flavor, as well as his ability to stick to an opponent. I know he needs to be a striker, or a striker like defender. Anyways, that's about all that I have right now, so if you have any ideas hit me up.

Also taking ideas on how to flush out the character.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Need advice for a 4e character

What level? Do you have a specific race in mind?

For a character with a really massive initial strike from the shadows, you can't do much better than assassin with the Hidden Insight feat. You can stack up four shrouds on the target before it has any idea you're there. Then you attack, possibly boosted by some sort of poison and/or other damage enhancers (multiclass rogue Sneak Attack or the like), and you can down a fairly hefty enemy in one hit. Spend an action point if you need another attack to finish 'em off.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Definitely high level. I'm thinking 15-19, although maybe into the epic tier. I want him to be human, or at the most half elf. I know its boring, but the world of the story is highly human dominated, and other races are subjugated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Any particular reason why he should be created as a PC when he's an NPC? Nothing in your description of him indicates why this should be the case.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just because his character is going to be adventuring with our party. I suppose he could be a monster, but our DM wanted to make sure that he was on a similar power level to us (and he doesn't have much experience making monsters from scratch) and has good power synergy with our leader, but if any of you have experience with monsters that would work too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'd stick with Rogue or Rogue/Ranger hybrid if necessary. Make sure to get...I believe it's Deft Strike, as one of your at wills (a Rogue at will which allows you to shift before attacking as part of the action). This is a great move for capitalizing on Stealth rolls for combat advantage (you stealth while in cover then, when your turn comes around, use Deft Strike and shift out of cover & attack all at once!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The first rule of an NPC to adventure with the party is keep them simple. Basic attacks as much as possible. And the concept's a simple one. So I'm seeing three possible classes - thief, scout, executioner. All work in line with the concept and you don't need much multiattacking in 4e to make your speed memorable. Just a few bonus attacks with minor actions.

Try the following guy who makes all attacks against reflex with an MBA and RBA of +23. Action points all over the place and if something is possible with stealth he can do it (all utilities At Will).

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    level 15
    Human, Thief, Adroit Explorer
    Ambitious Effort: Ambitious Effort Existing Power
    Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
    Ambitious Effort Existing Power: Low Slash

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 15, Dex 22, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 13.

AC: 31 Fort: 26 Reflex: 33 Will: 27
    HP: 97 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
    Streetwise +15, Stealth +18, Thievery +18, Perception +14, Insight +14, Acrobatics +18, Athletics +13, Bluff +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +7, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +9, Heal +9, History +7, Intimidate +10, Nature +9, Religion +7

FEATS
    Human: Light Blade Expertise
    Level 1: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
    Level 2: Cunning Stalker
    Level 4: Improved Defenses
    Level 6: Scoundrel Training
    Level 8: Two-Weapon Fighting
    Level 10: Two-Weapon Defense
    Level 11: Two-Weapon Opening
    Level 12: Backstabber
    Level 14: Deft Blade

POWERS
    Scoundrel Training: Low Slash
    Thief utility 1: Sneak's Trick
    Thief utility 1: Acrobat's Trick
    Thief utility 2: Agile Recovery
    Thief utility 4: Tactical Trick
    Thief utility 6: Chameleon
    Thief utility 7: Unbalancing Trick
    Thief utility 10: Shadow Stride

ITEMS
    Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Dynamic Short sword +4, Magic Short sword +4, Amulet of Protection +4, Distance Dagger +4, Magic Feyleather Armor +4
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Just because his character is going to be adventuring with our party. I suppose he could be a monster, but our DM wanted to make sure that he was on a similar power level to us (and he doesn't have much experience making monsters from scratch) and has good power synergy with our leader, but if any of you have experience with monsters that would work too.
    The DMG2 has rules for building exactly these kinds of NPCs on page 27. They're called Companion Characters. They're build to be competent but not outshine the actual heroes (the PCs). There's four different basic types of Companion Characters, each based on one of the party roles (controller, defender, etc.) I've used them a number of times in games for both short-term story companions and also to fill gaps in the party when they're lacking, say, a leader. They tend to work pretty well, although they tend to be pretty fragile, hp-wise, so I'd suggest boosting the hp total a little.

Typically, I turn over control of them to one of the other players during combat. Because they use a monster-like stat block the player doesn't have to shuffle through numerous pages of powers to decide what to have the companion do every round. They don't get/use magic items or feats but get a bonus on damage rolls equal to half their level instead. They don't use treasure, so parcels are unaffected by them. They do, however, receive a share of XP.

Something like this would probably be appropriate. If you need to increase his level, it's fairly easy:
    • Add 5 hp per level
    • Add 1 to attack rolls and defenses per level
    • Add 1 to each skill for every 2 levels
    • Add 1 to each damage bonus per 2 levels
    • Add 1 to Initiative for every 2 levels