New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Transformers 4 in 2014

I just read this on Yahoo. Mark Wahlberg is replacing Shia LaBeouf as the star of Transformers with a new movie set for release June 27th, 2014.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...185556891.html

I just don't have the words to express myself, here. I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OVER! What are they gonna do, bring Megatron back to life AGAIN?

I wish they would, actually. I hated the way he went out like a punk in Dark of the Moon. Especially since he basically spent the whole movie sulking.

Anyway, let the speculation BEGIN!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Transformers 4 in 2014

Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My speculation is that the TF fandom will cry out that this movie ruined Transformers forever, but they'll actually be right this time. Just like with the previous three movies.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Well, based on that last three movies, the first half will be nothing but lame, crude, unfunny, cliche comic relief most likely riddled with stereotypes. Then the final hour or so will be one, overly long, confusing action scene followed by Michael Bay somehow tricking the American public out of approximately 1 billion dollars. Am I wrong?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

There's no such thing as a good Michael Bay movie. On the other hand, there's no such thing as a bad Marky Mark movie. The unstoppable force meets the unbreakable object .

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, this was already a known factor; it was mentioned not long after the last movie they were planning to make a forth.

One idiot from the somewhere in the hierarchy of studio or people in charge or something was even scoffing at the idea of making a Transformers movie with no humans in it (or even the focus on the Transformers instead of the human characters), saying that was never going to be done. (I'd find the quote if I could, but it's lost beyond my ability to google-fu it in the landslide of new information.) I remembered it because I was nearly stunned by how utterly one could miss the point.

Though at the time, it wasn't certain Bay was directing.

It's odd really, Bayformers were entertaining in a way when I first saw them at the cinema, but then the fridge-stupid hit and they rather lost what lustre they had. Well, except for the last one, which I think I knew it had hit rock bottom, as I sat watching Labouf's pointless angst and thought "what has this got to do with anything? Why, in a Transformers movie, am I watching a complete pillock fail to get a job?" It was the most damnable of things: boring.

So I'll be cynical, to say the least, about this one.

It never fails to astound me why people keep putting humans so centrally in Transformers; for me at least, even as a child, the humans were just getting in the way of the interesting characters (y'know, the actual Transformers).

"Relatability" as a concept (i.e. "we must include human kids ina Transformers cartoon because Relatability") needs to go die in a fire. A character that is well-written and protrayed is a good character regardless of what species it is, and it would be nice if Hollywood get that fact into their empty skulls...

(I mean, the American miltary guy and his team would have made better human protagonists, if we had to have them. Yes, even with the eye-rolling "American Military Must Save The Day" thing, if they had been the only human characters, I'd have been okay with it. But the "protagonists"... really were not good at all. They had WELL worn out their welcome by the second movie, let alone the third. So that is sorta maybe good news. Ish. Kinda.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-09 at 07:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Perhaps they'll cut out the Autobots altogether now. Just have Wahlberg and the Eaglelander brigade -- which will inexplicably include John Turturro, John Malkovich, *and an underwear model -- fly into space on a top-secret NASA shuttle to plant explosives on Unicron before it eats our planet.

Then 'sploshuns.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2012-11-09 at 07:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually love these movies. Yes, they're total crap and there's no ambiguity there but there's something so goofy and kitschy about them that I'm just drawn to. Pure escapism. Definitely going to see this one.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Bet Shia LaBeouf couldn't pull off this (or Megatron for that matter):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bay
    ...re-invigorate the franchise and carry on the Transformers' legacy.
    I do not think it means what he thinks it means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    My speculation is that the TF fandom will cry out that this movie ruined Transformers forever, but they'll actually be right this time. Just like with the previous three movies.
    I dunno, unless 2014 also coincides with the cancellation of Transformers Prime, or season 3 trips up first... that series seems pretty good.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    There's no such thing as a good Michael Bay movie.
    Then you've obviously never seen The Rock, one of the best action movies ever made even despite Nicolas Cage being in it. The first Bad Boys movie pretty good, too.

It's really just since he began destroying our childhoods that Michael Bay has become a problem.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Then you've obviously never seen The Rock, one of the best action movies ever made especially since Nicolas Cage being in it.
    Fixed it for you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    LOL! Actually, I am a big fan of Nicolas Cage but I know a lot of people don't like him so I decided to play to the audience. Anyway, Sean Connery is the real star of that movie whether you like NC or not.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

SC makes it even better, but The Rock is the best example of what you get when Nicholas Cage actually puts effort into his role.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Nooooooooo!!!

Not that I didn't already know about this. It was announced some time ago. It's still an appropriate response.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Somehow, I am not surprised.

Honestly though, at this point, I'll just sit back and enjoy the inevitable Bum Review and vlogs from Spoony and Brad Jones bashing the hell out of it. I haven't even seen the second or third of Bay's movies, but they've provided me with plenty of entertainment just from those alone. Heck, I think between Spoony's vlog, Brad's Midnight Screening video, and their recorded conversation about it, I got more time of them discussing how awful the third movie was than the movie had running time.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

On the other hand, there's no such thing as a bad Marky Mark movie.
    • Planet of the Apes
    • The Italian Job
    • The Happening

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Well, based on that last three movies, the first half will be nothing but lame, crude, unfunny, cliche comic relief most likely riddled with stereotypes. Then the final hour or so will be one, overly long, confusing action scene followed by Michael Bay somehow tricking the American public out of approximately 1 billion dollars. Am I wrong?
    Absolutely wrong. The 1 billion dollars is the international gross. Only about a third of that actually came from the American public.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-11-10 at 12:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Everyday I remind myself that Transformers Animated was canceled because of these movies.

In a way I'm sort of ok with a new one, if only because it will further to intenseify my hatred. Soon I'll be that robot from I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there is redeeming side to Transformers film.
    - New Exposed parts design
    - Humans as more helpful partners than the ones from G1 (But Spike is still annoying).
    - Introducing Transformers to mainstream audience.
    - And making Megatron as alien space fighter. I mean it would be stupid for him to be a gun, especially at the hands of backstabbing Starscream.
    P.S- I wonder why the human commandoes remind me of X-Com, minus the expendable nature.
    Last edited by t209; 2012-11-10 at 01:14 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Bluuuuuuuh.

I don't think I can handle another year and a half of Movieverse toys.... I can't handle another four years of Bumblebee retools. Bluuuuuugh.

Hmmm. We'll need new Decepticon leads, so maybe we might get some interesting models. Hopefully they actually get some toys.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

22. - Top - End - #22

Meh, apparently there is good money in, "destroying our childhoods" because lots and lots of people keep watching these "crappy" films. If they were actually objectively bad, they wouldnt keep making enough of a profit to justify yet another movie in the lineup. Personally, I think a lot of this michael bay hate is internet echo chamber bull. He produces solid summer blockbuster fare that fills our need for flashy explosions.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Michael Bay didn't kill anyone's childhood. The only example of Transformers killing one's childhood was the release of the cartoon movie. Killing off Optimus Prime when you're 8, that's a bit tough.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Meh, apparently there is good money in, "destroying our childhoods" because lots and lots of people keep watching these "crappy" films. If they were actually objectively bad, they wouldnt keep making enough of a profit to justify yet another movie in the lineup. Personally, I think a lot of this michael bay hate is internet echo chamber bull. He produces solid summer blockbuster fare that fills our need for flashy explosions.
    Being able to distract people with special effects does not a good movie make. No, a lot of the Micheal bay hate comes from the fact that he makes bad movies, and even worse, he does actually make money off them. It's depressing.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Everyday I remind myself that Transformers Animated was canceled because of these movies.
    Citation needed.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Citation needed.
    Can't find it since the last time I saw it was when the show was first canceled, but TFWiki.net

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Michael Bay didn't kill anyone's childhood. The only example of Transformers killing one's childhood was the release of the cartoon movie. Killing off Optimus Prime when you're 8, that's a bit tough.
    I think you're confusing "killing our childhood" with "defining our childhood."

Seriously, I hate the way I'm about to say this, but the best thing Optimus Prime ever did was die. He went out like a champ. It was one of the most epic moments in an already epic film. It's one of the few things that separated the '86 Transformers film from just another kid's cartoon and made it memorable. I can only wish that more storytellers would be that ballsy.

That being said, killing off a major character should always be done carefully. There should always be a reason for it. You don't just axemurder Megatron for the lols right after he helps you defeat the real villain, because that's stupid and needlessly destructive. Dark of the Moon would have ended exactly the same way if Megatron had escaped vowing the destruction of all autobots while cackling maniacally just like old times. Killing him the way they did was just wasteful, and now it's going to force them to contrive another evil ressurection or else pull a new villain from out of nowhere.

Who's left of the decepticon leadership now, anyway? Megatron, Starscream, and Shockwave were all killed (not that Shockwave had any actual character in DotM). I think Soundwave survived. Devastator was killed in Revenge of the Fallen. I can't think of anybody else who had a shot at leading the Decepticons. I think they're gonna have to bring Megatron back, or at least turn him into Galvatron as part of his ressurection.

I mean, I guess they could make Galvatron just some other guy, but that would make even less sense than normal.

-------------------------------

And just to change gears for a minute, but does anybody else think that the thing really missing from these movies has been Grimlock?
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-11-10 at 09:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Being able to distract people with special effects does not a good movie make. No, a lot of the Micheal bay hate comes from the fact that he makes bad movies, and even worse, he does actually make money off them. It's depressing.
    Not winning academy awards doesnt make a movie bad either. What makes a movie good is, first of all, opinion, and second of all, objectively defined by the fact that a lot of people keep going to watch it. The fact that these movies do in fact make a significant profit means they must be good. At least good enough for the wishes of the financial backers and make them want to fund further movies. By definition they cant be objectively bad, or else they would flop. You may hate it, so its bad to you, but apparently the rest of "Murica thinks its awesome enough to go see sequel after sequel.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I think you're confusing "killing our childhood" with "defining our childhood."

Seriously, I hate the way I'm about to say this, but the best thing Optimus Prime ever did was die.
    Presumably why he dies over and over and over again...!

Seriosuly, by the time TFTM rolled out, I think he'd died at least once if not twice by that point in the One True Continuity (i.e. the UK Marvel comics run)...! Optimus Prime dying is sorta a Thing, really.

I was more put out by Rachet, Brawn, Ironhide and Prowl's deaths, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye
    And just to change gears for a minute, but does anybody else think that the thing really missing from these movies has been Grimlock?
    Yes.

Mind you, what it has also been missing is much in the way of characterisation of any of the Transformers except for Prime, Megatron and Starscream... Bumblebee got totally shafted by being basically made into a glorified pet (and I really STILL do NOT like that it carried onto TF:Prime), and apart from the Comic Relief characters *shudder*, even after three movies, I don't think I could tell Ironhide or Rachet apart, or whet their movieverse characters were like (I not even sure which one it was that got killed in Dakr of the Moon, honestly). (And, of course, they killed off Jazz.)

So maybe it's for the best, because at least Grimlock hasn't been screwed over...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Well, there is redeeming side to Transformers film.
    - New Exposed parts design
    - Humans as more helpful partners than the ones from G1 (But Spike is still annoying).
    - Introducing Transformers to mainstream audience.
    - And making Megatron as alien space fighter. I mean it would be stupid for him to be a gun, especially at the hands of backstabbing Starscream.
    P.S- I wonder why the human commandoes remind me of X-Com, minus the expendable nature.
    (1) Define "helpful." And (2), is that really a plus when it makes the title characters (the transformers) part of the supporting cast? Do we really have to shove the giant, alien robots who the films should be about into the background so we can have an elongated, pointless, major subplot about Shia Labeouf going to college or looking for a job?

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Somehow, I am not surprised.
    Well, yeah. You make the studios over a billion dollars, I think you can do anything regardless of quality.

Honestly though, at this point, I'll just sit back and enjoy the inevitable Bum Review and vlogs from Spoony and Brad Jones bashing the hell out of it.
    LOL! Me too! Brad's rant on Transformers 3 is actually one of my favorite videos of his. I have his opening words practically memorized:

"I've seen some bad films this summer: Priest, Pirates 4! This movie makes those look like Super 8! This movie SUCKS!"

Still, even with the amusing critic vlogs, I'd still prefer these awful films to end. Revenge of the Fallen is by far my least favorite film of all time. To put that in perspective, M. Night Shyamalan's Last Airbender and all the Star Wars prequels combined aren't as bad as Transformers 2 in my opinion.

What movies did you watch as a child? Children's movies are fully of brutal deaths. Look at half the old school Disney animated films. Why Mufasa and Bambi's mom! WHY!?!?