New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

We also know Dinky to have a very purple sister.

edit- weird fanon discussion
    Spoiler
    Show
    In universe A, Ditzy and Time Turner don't have a child yet, but they are close with Golden Harvest's family.

Universe B: Dinky is the odd unicorn child of Derpy and the Doctor. Sitcom shenanigans are common, and Derpy often empties Carrot Top's fridge.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-11-06 at 11:32 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    On discussion on Season 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    since one episode will have Apple Family Reunion, do you think Braeburn will return with Chief Thunderhooves, as Friendly Rivals.

P.S- Since Dinky is Derpy's daughter, does it make Dr. Whooves (or Hooves) half unicorn.
    As a timelord, Dr. Hooves isn't half anything.

There's also universe C: Dinky is Ditzy's daughter from a previous marriage, Ditzy is dating Dr. Hooves. Ditzy raids Carrot Top's fridge a lot.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had to read the thread title three or four times before I figured that out. Slow brain is slow

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Lovely new thread.

Oh yes, we're supposed to have this.

Ponywriters in the Playground.

Any updates I should be aware of?
    Me! I've written Cloudy with a Chance of Mayhem since the last update, and I'm waiting for FiMfiction approval of The Pony Who Wasn't Special while I go over it and obsess unhealthily about the placement of commas.
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-11-06 at 12:30 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

4. - Top - End - #34

Isn't universe C the one where Ditzy has a sister named Daring?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    You can't harp on one fan bugaboo while violating another you know.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    You can't harp on one fan bugaboo while violating another you know.
    Sure you can. Life is much easier when it's okay to be a hypocrite.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, all you ponies that also enjoy the popular card game Magic: The Gathering, I have a question for you.

If, some odd reason, you were inspired to create an OC who had several traits from the Simic Ravnica guild, what would you name him/her?

I'm the element of OCs, this is to be expected. >_>

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Hey, all you ponies that also enjoy the popular card game Magic: The Gathering, I have a question for you.

If, some odd reason, you were inspired to create an OC who had several traits from the Simic Ravnica guild, what would you name him/her?

Dead Money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Dead Money?
    Hehehe, that's a good one for the Orzhov!

*Scribbles down* >_> <_<

The Simic are more cold, focused biological engineers, who want to improve on nature.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Ponyr Vig
    Experiment Kute

Or for generic terms:
    Living Experiment
    Creature Control
    Natural Thought
    etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Dead Money?
    You're confused, that would be Orzhov. Simic is the green/blue one that's all about genetic engineering.

Edit: Tectonic Robot! *Shakes fist in impotent rage*
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-06 at 01:05 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Ponyr Vig
    Experiment Kute

Or for generic terms:
    Living Experiment
    Creature Control
    Natural Thought
    etc.
    I like these! Ponyr Vig and Experiment Kute might be a little too close to the source material, but Natural Thought is very, very good. I just hope my RP-mates don't get mad at me for creating another OC. >.>;;

You're confused, that would be Orzhov. Simic is the green/blue one that's all about genetic engineering.

Edit: Tectonic Robot! *Shakes fist in impotent rage*
    I assure you, your rage is quite potent! I'm currently creating a delicious internet-cake to soothe your ruffled emotions.

Is it bad that I think the money-worshipping-ghost-mafia is sort of cool? >_> Because that's totally what the Orzhov are.
    Last edited by Tectonic Robot; 2012-11-06 at 01:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

GnomeWizardGuy

- Is Rarity the only pony with mixed parents (Unicorn- Earth Pony), other than my headcanon Fluttershy? This is the reason why i liked rarity, other than her pony template).
    I'm not too sure Rarity's dad is an earth pony automatically, but the Cakes do have both pegasus and unicorn ancestors. Also, any Cadance-Shining children (or any children of an alicorn, by necessity) will have mixed parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    So I have a problem.

My brother, who first introduced me to MLP but was never as fervent about it as I was, says that he's starting to be turned off of the show. The way he says it is that he likes the show but dislikes the fandom, at least somewhat (for example he not one of those that dislikes the Derpy Hooves phenomenon, but he doesn't read any fanfiction, pony music or anything that really goes beyond the show itself.)

[ ... ]

What do you guys think? I don't really see myself as incredibly fanatic about MLP (I don't go to conventions, write fanfiction, or even own anything pony-related) and I enjoy talking to him about the show, and I hate to think that I turned someone off of ponies with my behavior.
    Unless you've been talking to him about ponies non-stop since the end of last season, I doubt he was turned off by your actions. More likely, he's just lost interest or become annoyed by other people online, and just doesn't want to listen to talk about the show anymore.

I'd recommend just letting him be. If he isn't interested (or worse yet, annoyed) then your constant chatting about the show isn't going to make him. Try to take the time to talk about something else, or do something else, and let him enjoy the new season if he becomes curious again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    No.

No, I am not going to let this one pass without comment.

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought that was exactly the kind of contrived, pointless, maudlin, sad-for-the-sake-of-being-sad nonsense we have faaaar too much of in the fandom. I didn't even bother to read it fully, I more than got enough of it skimming. There have been a very great deal of sad-fics written, and almost all of them were better done than that (and some of them even had a point, like the Youth in the Garden).

End of the world because everypony gets killed by a meteor? Really? That's your excuse to have a bonding moment between Dash and Scoots?

Please.

It could literally not be any more contrived and unconvincing.

(It is extremely rare I bother to leave a negative review, but that one actually merited it. (Though not quite so terse as this post, even then.))
    I'll have to agree here. (Spoilered for length.)
    The problem isn't that a bonding-moment-at-end-of-world cannot be good, assuming there is something happening there beyond the end of the world. But in the story mentioned that's all we have. End of the world, Dash is hanging out with Scootaloo because it's the end of the world, and the world ends. No aspects of personality explored, no interesting character development, nothing new or exciting happens.

To be fair, such mediocre-average writing isn't limited to sadfics. But it certainly doesn't make the writing any better at being sad - if anything, it reduces its impact quite a bit.

P.S- Since Dinky is Derpy's daughter, does it make Dr. Whooves (or Hooves) half unicorn.
    If you are going by fanon, then Dinky is adopted.

If you are going my canon, then none of this is confirmed (or even that likely).

If you are asking my personal opinion, I probably wouldn't agree with any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Isn't universe C the one where Ditzy has a sister named Daring?
    This sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Larger version in case there is anyone who didn't saw it yet.

Spoiler
    Show

Source.
    That is the best campaign I've seen all year.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

13. - Top - End - #43
    Spamalot in the Playground

So... he's half nothing and the other half double or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    I'd recommend just letting him be. If he isn't interested (or worse yet, annoyed) then your constant chatting about the show isn't going to make him. Try to take the time to talk about something else, or do something else, and let him enjoy the new season if he becomes curious again.
    I second what Erikun said. My daughter and I are big pony fans, but my wife? Not so much. Nothing annoys the wife faster than blabbering about something all day that she's only mildly into.
    Well okay, maybe second to me forgetting to take out the trash.

But yeah, just let him be and if he comes back around, great!
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-11-06 at 01:33 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I second what Erikun said. My daughter and I are big pony fans, but my wife? Not so much. Nothing annoys the wife faster than blabbering about something all day that she's only mildly into.
    Well okay, maybe second to me forgetting to take out the trash.

But yeah, just let him be and if he comes back around, great!
    I would suggest that anytime one's conversation could be accurately described as "blabbering" there's probably a high chance one is annoying somepony else.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-06 at 01:54 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I would suggest that anytime one's conversation could be accurately described as "blabbering" there's probably a high chance one is annoying somepony else.
    Now see, this is why I like you: you can pull off these accurate zingers like that, even unintentionally.

On a different note: 1,020,882. That's the number of words so far in Project Horizons. I would guess that the story will end at the end of Book four. Since each book has averaged eighteen chapters, and there are fifty-one chapters so far, that means that there will probably be sixty-four chapters total, or thirteen more chapters. The average word count per chapter is 20,017.29 words.

Thus, we can expect that if the story ends at the end of book four, there will be a grand total of 1,281,106 words written on one story. For comparison, that's twice as long as the original Fallout: Equestria fic. That's a whole lot of story.

Wikipedia informs me that the Guinness World Record longest novel in the world is In Search Of Lost Time, at 1.2 million words. If my math carries out, this story will wind up being longer than the world record holder. As is, it is almost as long as War and Peace and Les Miserables combined.

My question to Ponythread is: Why? Why am I reading this? Why devote weeks of my life to what amounts to a prolonged hack-fest? What sick fascination keeps me coming back to a story that is in almost all ways inferior to the story that spawned it? Is it the absurd amounts of violence? The twisted nature of the questionable protagonist? The angst of the entire bloody group? The sheer hope that maybe this will turn out alright after all, and I won't have wasted days out of my life?

It's not all bad; there have been moments that moved me to tears. But the majority of the time, I'm just left reading in slack-jawed amazement, both at the sheer bloody violence of it and the Spirit-numbing amount of language and behavior.

Ultimately, I think that it comes down to sheer, bloody-minded determination, which as you know ranks above love as one of the strongest forces in the universe. I've started this, and my thrice-cursed sense of curiosity is pushing me to finish it, if only to have it off my bucket list of fictions to read.

Opinions? I know that Pokonic has had harsh words for it in the past. Anyone?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

16. - Top - End - #46

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't know; I'm still working up to read through the re-write of Past Sins. (The re-write happened back around August 2011, before the story was finished. I've been procrastinating.) I most certainly have not started Fallout Equestria, and with my reading list probably won't ever get around to it.

So no opinion from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

As nothing I have ever read about Fallout Equestria itself has ever even remotely tempted me to want to read it, I can safely say that an even more grimdark sequel appeals even less...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sivnica Bountbreaker o.o (I have no idea what I am talking about)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Pony Bond puns
    These were all fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    What-

How did-

Are we really-

HOW DID THIS THREAD PASS BY SO QUICKLY. HOW.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic, that's how.

Also the return of SiuiS' quote posts and a sudden Season 3 boost helped.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Heh. It's your language mate! We're just finally following the rules~
    I just speak it, I didn't invent.

Besides, some rules are made to be broken.

Because they are stupid.

I mean, really, is anyone reading a fanfic going to pull out a ruler and check if those small lines are hyphens or em-dashes or whatever? It's literally a difference of 1mm.

¡Me gusta!
    Adventure time is fun, and a more direct version of what people thought MLP would be – a bright and cheery look at a postdystopian future.
    I think I love AT almost as much as pony now. Looking forward to season 5, which starts about a week after MLP season 3. I also kinda want to run an RP for it at some point in the future.

Also planning to watch Korra and Gravity Falls. So many cartoons. So little time.

End of the world because everypony gets killed by a meteor? Really? That's your excuse to have a bonding moment between Dash and Scoots?
    Also, if a meteor was headed for Equestria, Celestia and Luna could easily deal with it. I doubt a meteor would be heavier than the Sun and Moon combined.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

My opinions on Project Horizons?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It completely missed the point of the original Fallout Equestria and set out to try and one up the original in every single way. Literally. I can't think of a single thing that Project Horizons did right. Well managed to consistently keep right.

It did introduce some cool concepts like atrocities being committed by the departments (ruined by having said atrocities be approved by the Mane 6), Goldenblood and his department (ruined by making GB too important and stealing the credit for mistakes made by the Mane 6)

It overloaded the memory orbs which were relatively sparse in the original and always had an important purpose in the original. It made the Mane 6 and other ponies in the past act compleatly OOC. It outright contradicts things in the original. It sets out to ruin every mystery that the original presented. (Best example of missing the point.)

It has way too much angst per words written. Everything ends up being angsty and tragic and it just falls dull and flat.

Basically it's a Mary Sue fanfic. Interestingly enough none of the characters are the Mary Sue but rather the setting and plotline itself. Yes that's right, the plot itself is the Mary Sue. I would put the original on par with the show itself, Project Horizons is basically a fanfic of that.

My opinion on you still reading it
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think you're stuck in a sunk-cost fallacy mixed with an absurd hope. You keep reading because you've invested so much time and you hope that it will one day return to the quality of the first few chapters despite all evidence to the contrary.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    hahaha VICTORY IS MINE! in this thread title battle...

please...too much evidence in the show against this for it to make any sense

Spoiler
    Show

1) Luna Eclipsed: after Luna abolishes Nightmare night we see Dinky being comforted..by Golden Harvest

2) Luna Eclipsed: Golden Harvest escorts Dinky to the candy offering

3) Last Roundup: during Applejack's speech we see Dinky in the crowd look up lovingly at a stallion next to her(don't know his name off top of my head) while Golden Harvest is on her other side looking down at her

4) Last Roundup: Golden Harvest and Dinky take the train to Canterlot together after being seen off at the platform by stallion from speech scene
    My god you're right!

Golden Harvest is obviously a social worker, keeping an eye on Dinky while she goes trough the system during Derpy's trial over excessive property damage. Shes been hanging out with her psychiatrist informally to get Dinky's guard down so they can figure out her perspective of her mother's destructive tendencies.

It's the only possible interpretation!

As nothing I have ever read about Fallout Equestria itself has ever even remotely tempted me to want to read it, I can safely say that an even more grimdark sequel appeals even less...
    (\

Yeah. Me too. Pass.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

From Work's heart I type at thee! From the depths of my notepad app I spit ANCIENT PONYTHREAD SHENANIGANS at thee!

Be warned, matey. Here, thar be rainbows. Yar.
    Is this the explanation I get of who those ponies are? Heh. I was thinking more single line description plus existing picture, maybe a seperate line for what the hell the guild of chains is. Still, I recall stumbling across these hijinks whilst trying to figure out what/who/etc Midnight was.

Midnight is the Haremizer Bazooka, right? Who was it weilding the bazooka?
    Talespinner;
    Spoiler
    Show

This is Talespinner right? Red/Black stripey mane, dark orange/red coat? Bit hamtastically nefarious?

Faithful Song?
    Spoiler
    Show

Is this about right? A one line summation would be useful.

Also, vaguely urban, manehattenish noiry setting?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

I been wondering if and how Hey Ocean! going on world tour will affect Ashleigh's availability to voice MLP and LPS. Not that they have mentioned any date on when their tour will start, and it seems voice work are done around a year in advance.

which makes me wonder if she's currently doing voice for season 4 already. Then go on world tour for 6 months or so?
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-11-06 at 03:06 PM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    I been wondering if and how Hey Ocean! going on world tour will affect Ashleigh's availability to voice MLP and LPS. Not that they have mentioned any date on when their tour will start, and it seems voice work are done around a year in advance.

which makes me wonder if she's currently doing voice for season 4 already. Then go on world tour for 6 months or so?
    You seemed to have answered your own question there.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My god you're right!

Golden Harvest is obviously a social worker, keeping an eye on Dinky while she goes trough the system during Derpy's trial over excessive property damage. Shes been hanging out with her psychiatrist informally to get Dinky's guard down so they can figure out her perspective of her mother's destructive tendencies.

LOL

way to take the silly option and ramp it right up to batbleep crazy 8)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

26. - Top - End - #56

My god you're right!

Golden Harvest is obviously a social worker, keeping an eye on Dinky while she goes trough the system during Derpy's trial over excessive property damage. Shes been hanging out with her psychiatrist informally to get Dinky's guard down so they can figure out her perspective of her mother's destructive tendencies. Also Derpy empties her fridge a lot.

I fixed it.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Well since we've been talking about Derpy
    Spoiler
    Show

Cute comics
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I've never really gotten the appeal of truly grimdark MLP fics. It just seems to completely contradict the fundamental concept of the Ponyverse as being one where love and friendship will always come out on top in the end.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Well since we've been talking about Derpy
    Spoiler
    Show

Cute comics
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I really can't see Twilight's parents as the type to get on a teenage son for playing with his kid sister. But other than that the comic was adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Two-Face

It fits the punny nature of pony names, and means more when you consider "experiments" that the Simic are known for.