New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Banned

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytabs View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That means Shining Armor gets points for keeping Cadance facing 12 o'clock when she landed. Not that he was competing with anypony.
    Spoiler
    Show
    HOW MANY POINTS DOES HE RECEIVE?

...anyone?

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

I went cleaning my Google Drive today and found this old thing. I haven't had a chance to read through it all again yet, but I do wonder how our thread's proto-fanon has fared through the past couple seasons.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

S3 Premier Thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show
    I enjoyed it for the most part and thought it was generally up to the standards set by the other 2-part episodes (good story, nice gags, a little rushed at times but not so much that it ruined anything).

That said, I think Sombra was by far the weakest villian the show has had yet, largely because he either had not enough characterization, or too much. It seemed like the writers couldn't decide whether Sombra was some evil king from the past or a primal force of evil. If they wanted him to have been a primal, (mostly) unstoppable force of cosmic evil, than they should have made him more mysterious. The more alien and unknowable he was, the more effective he would have been. On the other hoof, if they simply wanted him to be an evil king returned from the past, than he needed a lot more characterization. Have him actually engage the mane 6, do some evil monologuing, maybe even give him a song gloating about how he's going to corrupt the Crystal Empire followed by the rest of Equestria. As it stands, Sombra's neither menacing nor interesting enough to really work as a memorable villian.

On the plus side, I loved how the new window in Canterlot Tower focused on Spike saving the crystal ponies. Nice to see the little guy getting some credit for a change. (Also, listen to how concerned Rarity was for her little Spikey-wikey when he was plummeting from the tower. As far as I'm concerned, the Rarilight moments were just Rarity being friendly with her future surrogate-sister-in-law )

Edit:
    One thing I thought of; Celestia and Luna never actually say it's Twlight's destiny. I think it's entirely possible this was as much a test for Cadance as well as Twilight.
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2012-11-10 at 07:51 PM.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #604
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    S3
    Spoiler
    Show
    That may be true, but I still think Luna's thing here is that she's more serious and concerned about it than Celestia, and that calling it a test was a little odd. Maybe not very odd, but a little.

Also, I'm not sure that backup plan would actually work. If they failed, wouldn't they probably be kept slaves by Sombra and thus be unable to go back and get the Elements? And we know that apparently Celestia and Luna can't use them anymore, which may be why Luna think it's better if she went: If she fails and is captured, at least there are still the Elements as a last resort.

Slightly related, it kinda seems like Celestia is still the one calling all the shots and Luna doesn't have much say. Any thoughts on this?
    Spoiler
    Show

Personally I suspect that if that where the case (which would require a much greater degree of failure than just them failing to stop him), the backup backup plan would be for Celestia and Luna to go there themselves and defeating him without the Elements.
    I base this on the flashback of his original defeat having no signs of the Stones nor any jewelry that could be the elements, instead utilizing a shared spell from both of them to do the job.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

MadMax is at it again, already (S3)
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #606

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Should have a second comic where Celestia stalls as Luna franticly fixes it to be Spike

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Well, somewhat behind the crowd (my goodness, five pages!) as by the time the HD upload was ready, it was within spitting distance of supper-time, so I thought, sod it, may as well wait for that...

As usual, thoughts immediately after viewing, pre-ponyhtread catchup...

Spoiler
    Show
    HUZZAH!!!!

Okay, Spike gets not only to go along as a main character (finally!) in the thick of it, but gets to save the day (with a little help from Cadance!) And for, I think, the first time, we had all SEVEN main characters doing a song togther (here's to many more!)

Grand start, I thought. I think the animation was noticably more polished throughout.

Rarity, as usual stole the show, even with not being in it much. Though, I have to say, I thought AJ came across rather well today... She does seem to be step-by-step slipping into the smart-straight-pony-snarker, and that's good, because I think it suits her rather well.

Celestia knows some nice spells... Also, Twilight apparently has the Share-ngarn. And has no problem casting dark magic when circumstances require it (whether that's dark as in "Evil" or dark as in "Pokemon type -sort-of-thing" I'm not sure...) And Twilight has some nice spells of her own now (yay Reverse Gravity with panache!)

What I did like was the fact that Somber and the Crystal Empire fall in line with my fanon, that earlier in history, some pretty nasty stuff went down that she (and, at that time, Luna -nice to see her right out of the gate - by the way) had to deal with.

Somber didn't get a lot made of him, aside from he seemed pretty Evil.. Which is nice, because having a pretty unambiguously Evil enemy makes for a change. He might be feelin' a bit sore though... Gettin' explodinated like that has got to hurt! Well, there's no doubt about it, since I have done that once or twice myself. (Also, note, villain not beaten/redeemed, but explosively discorporeated. Yes, I think that shows he's pretty Evil...)

That said, I give it a week before somepony writes/draws fanfiction/fanart about how terribly hard-done to Somber was, and how we wasn't really Evil at all, just misunderstood. *eyeglow roll*

Shining came across fairly well too (he has PNYLAZARS! That's going to be a Thing now.) despite him clearly being a bit out of his league to deal damage to Somber. (He tried at least, and he did help save the day.)

Kudos to Cadance, not only for holding that spell for ages, but even finding the last gasp to catch Spike. (I did wonder whether it was love - seeing as Spike is basically family to her that helped give her that last boost as well as just the crystal.)

That first "endless" staircase down did give me a moment's pause, though, as I flashed back to SCP-087, what with the recent thread putting it back in my mind...

Overall, damned good way to break in the new season.

Okay, now back through thread to see what everypony else thought.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Ponies generally have a pretty symbiotic relationship with their surroundings anyway so I'd say
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crystal ponies were influenced by the Heart over many generations. I think all the crystal around that area has the same property, not just the heart
    This.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Crystal Ponies are Earth Ponies. After years and generations of exposure to the crystalifying magic of the heart, they have taken on some gemmyness.

I'm taking this one step further and making it my new head-canon: One Thousand Years is literally the only interval of time Celestia understands.

C: My faithful student, your next lesson in magic will take place in ONE THOUSAND YEARS!
    T: So, same time next Thursday?
    C:...Yes
    I like this more than I should.
    Only slightly more seriously, I seem to recall that in Changeling: The Lost, the longest measure of time for oaths, changeling magic and stuff was...1000 years. Clearly it's just what she says when she means a really long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    So, ponies. Crystal ones.

Spoiler
    Show
    I enjoyed it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    You've spent most of the last two pages criticizing the episode. Some of that criticism is deserved, some, imo, is not. Either way, I still think it was overall a good two-parter and had several enjoyable parts.
    Trixie spends most of her time in ponythread criticising the show and/or main cast of the show. It could be argued that it's best just to leave her to it at this point. It's kind of hard to have a sensible debate with someone who honestly seems to believe that the mane six are incompetant monsters and who has more faith in the myth and the personality cult of The Great And Powerful Trixie than the character herself.

EDIT - Oh, and Ponythread and the internet at large apparently can't recognise a fastball special when they see one.
    Cadence is the best there is at what she does. And what she does, is pretty. Or something.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-11-10 at 08:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Blessed are the glassblowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

Trixie spends most of her time in ponythread criticising the show and/or main cast of the show. It could be argued that it's best just to leave her to it at this point. It's kind of hard to have a sensible debate with someone who honestly seems to believe that the mane six are incompetant monsters and who has more faith in the myth and the personality cult of The Great And Powerful Trixie than the character herself.
    Also, Trixie thinks that one of the show's best episodes is one of the worst.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-11-10 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT - Oh, and Ponythread and the internet at large apparently can't recognise a fastball special when they see one.
    Cadence is the best there is at what she does. And what she does, is pretty. Or something.
    Well everypony in chat should have heard me mention it once or twice.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Full points then, that Pony.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

upon rewatching...
    Spoiler
    Show
    i was right..Berry Punch totally snuck in and was in the crowd for the jousting event..wonder if this season its going to be Where's Berry? instead of Where's Derpy? or she just snuck in for some Crystal Berry Wine....

how long til someone makes a comic about Shining getting the black crystals on his horn and somepony telling him "that's why you always wear protection"

everyone mentions the gryphon statues...what about the winged cat statue on the building next door?

and.....theory time!
    Spoiler
    Show
    i think "the next level of study" is going to be with Luna.. kinda fitting in with one of our more popular theories that Celly has the raw power but Luna has the greater knowledge of magic

also i sadly think they are going the "Alicornication" Alicornication. HeeHee that's almost as fun to say as Pickle Barrel Kumquat! route just due to the glowy rune showing up behind Twi like they did behind Celly and Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well, somewhat behind the crowd (my goodness, five pages!) as by the time the HD upload was ready, it was within spitting distance of supper-time, so I thought, sod it, may as well wait for that...

As usual, thoughts immediately after viewing, pre-ponyhtread catchup...
    5? this is page 7 since start of episode

Spoiler
    Show

Shining came across fairly well too (he has PNYLAZARS! That's going to be a Thing now.) despite him clearly being a bit out of his league to deal damage to Somber. (He tried at least, and he did help save the day.)

Spoiler
    Show
    we have seen the PNYLAZARS! before...Twi used em in the caves beneath Canterlot
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-11-10 at 08:39 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Found it on Youtube - will buy it later.

Running commentary!
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...So there's no time to waste to get there, but apparently there's time for a musical number? I mean it's not a BAD number, but it feels... i dunno, pointless? =/

So Scar is a cloud of smoke now. Neat.

Rainbow is best jokester

The dance again? Really? *sigh*

And now Rarity is in full fangasm mode.

... Okay, I call bullcrap. NOBODY loves research papers!!

...Ah, right, i forgot, THIS is why people hate spoilers... ah well, it's still a funny clip

Ze Pie is a spy!! =D ... OW! Who threw that?!

*snrk* Wow Rarity... just... WOW. You're really good this episode.

And Pinkie, you continue to be Funniest Pony.

... Why Gryphon statues?

"I'm not sure I actually work here." ... That's just... awesome.

"I like her!" Me too, Pinkie.

...Why was Twilight making Spike hold the book up? She can LEVITATE things

.... This is gonna backfire somehow, you can just tell.

...Okay, apparently it hasn't backfired INSTANTLY.

Rainbow, that's creepy.

... Ah. THAT'S how. Bet the Crystal Heart is a very SPECIFIC object.

Ding ding ding!

That horn won't be a plot point AT ALL

Rarity is a terrible liar =/

Knight Fluttershy... ooooooh this isn't gonna end well...

...Using what your mentor described as hatred and fear can't end well either o__o

(Unrelated: My brother and I have gone through 2 liters of coke in less than a quarter of a day)

Spoiler
    Show
    Gee, I wonder if this Celestia is a fake of some kind.

Illusion door? >.> Why a door?

*snrk* that's one way to tire the heroes i guess...

Why is his horn fine no- oh right, Shadow-smoke. Never mind.

Hey, i saw a face in the sky when it flashed that time!

Wouldn't it be Dame, come to think of it...

Poor Fluttershy...

That's not how gravity works, but it's clever and kinda funny, so i'll let the show get away with it.

Oooooooh, that's bad.

((Potato break!))

I like Rarity's excuse better, but at that point lieing wasn't going to help at all

Ah. Gravity spells... it still doesn't work like that, but it's less idiotic, at least

... YOU THREW. YOUR WIFE. AT IT. WHAT THE HELL, SHINING?!

...So... they killed Sombra? As in, actually killed him? That's awesome!

(Applejack's pun) ... Boooooo!

Alright Twilight!

Ah, the good ol' door to the face gag. Never gets old.

Oh good god, reprise?! COME ON!!

... meh. The stilts are worth it.

...So, what was the next level of study?

All in all?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weak beginning but otherwise a good episode. I'd REALLY like to know what the next level of study is, but whatever, i can wait a week.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #614
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    i think "the next level of study" is going to be with Luna.. kinda fitting in with one of our more popular theories that Celly has the raw power but Luna has the greater knowledge of magic

also i sadly think they are going the "Alicornication" Alicornication. HeeHee that's almost as fun to say as Pickle Barrel Kumquat! route just due to the glowy rune showing up behind Twi like they did behind Celly and Luna
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rune? What rune?

Seriously, would you mind pointing it out? I don't recall such a thing.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rune? What rune?

Seriously, would you mind pointing it out? I don't recall such a thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    5:14 to 5:30 of the show
    just as they exit the throne room
    glowy cutie marks behind both princesses..cut to Twi and there is a glowy cutie mark behind her too
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-11-10 at 08:47 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

16. - Top - End - #616
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    5:14 to 5:30 of the show
    just as they exit the throne room
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah. I thought you meant something on the walls lit up as she passed or something like that.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

My thoughts on the new episodes:

Spoiler
    Show

I liked flutterguise and the reverse gravity spell.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

my biggest nitpick of the episode..
    Spoiler
    Show
    when she was sliding up the underside of the stairs..how did she end up exiting to the top of the staircase?

she is riding the underside of the stairs..when they reached the top they stopped and she shoulda slammed into the wall where they turn into the top of the pillar

full size avatar

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

My personal crackpot theory:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Alright Twilight, you've learned all about the magic of Harmony and friendship and all of that light and fluffy stuff from my sister. Now, in MY course, you will learn about the proper application of force, and when it is appropriate to use it. LESSON ONE! Repeat after me 1000 times! Darkness is not Evil!"
    "But it can be used for evil...?"
    "So can light. Remind me to tell you the story of when Celestia tried to go on a diet. She's not a kind and benevolent princess when you try to keep her away from her cake."

20. - Top - End - #620
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    when she was sliding up the underside of the stairs..how did she end up exiting to the top of the staircase?

she is riding the underside of the stairs..when they reached the top they stopped and she shoulda slammed into the wall where they turn into the top of the pillar
    It's magic escheresque hyper-architecture. It's supposed to not make sense.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    My personal crackpot theory:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Alright Twilight, you've learned all about the magic of Harmony and friendship and all of that light and fluffy stuff from my sister. Now, in MY course, you will learn about the proper application of force, and when it is appropriate to use it. LESSON ONE! Repeat after me 1000 times! Darkness is not Evil!"
    "But it can be used for evil...?"
    "So can light. Remind me to tell you the story of when Celestia tried to go on a diet. She's not a kind and benevolent princess when you try to keep her away from her cake."
    Tangentially related to s3

22. - Top - End - #622

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post

Spoiler
    Show

SPIKE! I SAID THE SADDLE ARABIA BEANS, NOT BRAYZILAN!
    Show

23. - Top - End - #623

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Twilight has special eyes
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Dream of Alicornication.

Dream of Alicornication.

Anyone? No? Never mind.
    Win. xD Love that song.

I did. xD

Am I the only one who is PLEASED by the potential alicorning? I've been headcanoning that since S1.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Actually think I got this on a second run through the episode. .

Spoiler
    Show
    Because we saw a column with a stair inside a larger cylinder of open space when she reached the "top" of the underside of the stairs she would have kept going right around making an "extra" turn around the floor/ceiling of the room at the top over the cylinder until coming out on the ceiling over the final part of the stairs.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Orbital Quote-Post Bombardment!!!

All spoilers in this post are for new episode unless otherwise stated...

Spoiler
    Show
    General points, that other people made me think about, because while I'm doing my immediate thoughts, I often forget bits in the excitement:

Spike gets stained glass window! Huzzah!

Shining throwing Cadance was awesome. See, he's not completely useless. (Also any arguements against Shining are now invalid, as he has PNYLAZARS! (If I had the time energy and ability, I would totally do a motivator of that.))

Mid-episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie Pie dressed as Fluttershy was also a nice touch as a sort of Andrea Libman acknowledgement.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, yeah, Ninja Pinkie was hilarious! Especially with the googles, now I think about it, given the conversation we had previously about Pinkaruto.

Also, Twilight is totally the Sasuke. (The comedy Sasuke parody, granted, because nopony deserves to be the proper Sasuke. Except Gilda. Probably.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, looks like Sombra's final defense is some sort of illusion spell, probably one that plays off the target's worst fear given Twilight's neuroses about her teacher. On the up side, this seems like a great character growth moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which made me think of another point. Spike's greatest fear was being sent away - and ending up alone. Which is what I've been saying all along; he's an inherently social creature, and all the Spike-grows-up-alone-and-sad fics now definately even come out as even bleaker and kinda cruel. Now it's not just (melodramatically) sad, it's his worst fear confirmed.

Shame on you, sad-Spike fic writers, shame on you!

Spoiler
    Show
    wait..I thought it was Twilight/Tara that was the professional troll, not RD/Ashleigh
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that was a nice moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well I suppose yes; but assuming Sombra wasn't completely destroyed/sealed/etc he could return in the season, that would be awesome because a) I love his design and b) it could help to clear up his failings as character/villain from this episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite his somewhat... destructive finish, I suspect we have't seen the last of Somber. After all, reading between the lines, he got out from being frozen, so he's likely going to come back. (He might be doing a bit of Nazgul-after-the-Ford at the moment though). Also half-expecting some kind of bigger arc, with Celestia's prep and that book maybe foreshadowing something (as well as the staff having dropped hints about "some seasons are more special than others" or something; honestly, I was half-expecting the whole season to be in the Crystal Empire, as some sort of whole arc, so...)

It just occured to me, it's plausible that Sombra is some kind of Undead. I knew I liked him for some reason!

More, "wow, the did it already images". Season 3 premier related

Spoiler
    Show
    Win.

Episode reaction

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Celestia and Luna took down Sombra 1000 years ago, and Luna went evil and was banished 1002 years ago... How does that work, exactly?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, obviously, Celestia was speaking generally, and wasn't being exact to the year (because the exact time really didn't matter.) I mean, you don't usually say 987 or 1017 years ago when speaking conversationally, unless the specific date is important. If we go by the natural rounding people use when speaking conversationally, it could be any time from about 950-ish (else she might have said "nine-hunred years") to sometime over a thousand (probably less than "eleven-hundred" as you would normally say in conversation.)

Also, as I'm writing this as I go down the thread, (Pinkie) ninja'd at least twice in the suceeding posts, with more brevity...!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The difference is in the context. The prophecy of Nightmare Moon's return was written to warn people in the future about the bad mojo that's coming their way. It had to be specific time-wise, or it would be valueless. Celestia's recounting of this history in this context doesn't need to be anywhere near that precise, because less is riding on the recipient of the knowledge knowing the exact date. That Nightmare Moon was defeated a thousand [and two, now] years ago is important. All anyone needs to know about King Sombra was that he was defeated an arbitrarily long time ago, because his return has already occurred, and the time of that return was not, apparently, predicted.
    Also this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Some Amazing Episode Art:

Spoiler
    Show
    The speed of the fandom is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    LOOK AT ALL THESE SPOILER TAGS!

Oh, I also got a vinyl Derpy figure. I will never have to go to the mall again.
    Curse you... I was seriously tempted myself, but the extra shipping costs would have made it way too expensive for a desktop thingie, and those figures are a bit big as well, I think, for my limited space - I don't have "display space", since every available piece of room gets used for storage; a few cubic centimetes by the Iron Idiot is about it. I really want a blind-bag Derpy... (And, of couse, i don't need one on Bleak Despair, since I can just have the Star-Sergeant stand there for a bit... Before she gets bored and blows something of importance again. (Like Hopreaver, though admittedly, that was hilarious.)

Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, chief. It might be you next time getting the Exploding Muffin Ball True spell...

Not while I have you to hide behind/shove into the way...

*muttermuttergrumblegripemoancomplain*

I'm taking this one step further and making it my new head-canon: One Thousand Years is literally the only interval of time Celestia understands.

C: My faithful student, your next lesson in magic will take place in ONE THOUSAND YEARS!
    Okay, there needs to be fancfic of this.

(In seriouness, though, for Princess C, there might be an element of truth to that... Think back to remember stuff that happened to you did as a kid or a teenager, and try to remember exactly what year it was - most likely unless you have prefect recall, it'll be something "oh I was about [x]". And, as you get older, the relative variance will get higher. For me, reckoning we started using cardboard buidlings about fifteen-odd years ago is equivilent to Celestia going "yeah, that happened about a thousand years ago, give or take a century, or something; I dunno, I don't rightly recall without looking the exact date up." After all, a thousand years is a really long time, and even a lot of the fanfictions that address it don't really get how long it is. (Of course, I attribute some of that to the fact ponies are long-lived, so it might not be all that many generations ago.))

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    So, ponies. Crystal ones.

Spoiler
    Show
    I enjoyed it.
    Good job I'm picking up on the quote-post slack, then innit?

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Episode re: villain
    Spoiler
    Show
    Somber might actually be secretly the most competent of the bunch. Slowly and methodically crush his way to victory. Don't reveal your plans or anything, and make no long-winded speeches.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's possible... It's a ncie thought, though I suspect if we see him again, it's not likely!

Just a point, though: nearly everypony is saying we don't have a lot of motivation for Sombra - but maybe that's not a bad thing. It gives the fanon a lot of room for creativity; somepony's bound to have a crack at explaining it decently (the inevitable tedious "he's not a bad pony he's just misunderstood/corrupted/lost/etc" notwithstanding.)

S3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Slightly related, it kinda seems like Celestia is still the one calling all the shots and Luna doesn't have much say. Any thoughts on this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. As previously mentioned, a thousand years is a REAAAALLY long time. you may think it was a long time between pony seasons, but that's peanuts to a millenium. It's entirely possible (and indeed my nominal fanon) that it will take Luna years to be ready to assume her administrative duties again; she's got to assimilate so much information. I've always found it a bit unrealistic that people have had her go back to duty almost right away. Heck, I would have said she needed most of season 1 just to get over the worst of the psychological trauma and the culture shock of being displaced a thousand years. (There's even some evidence of that in her season two appearance: "what is "'fun'?")

Imagine you were a Saxon who got banished during the Battle of Hasting and came back in 1966 (which is roughly where I'd place pony technology (well, a few year past it, I reckon they're more 1920-1940s)). That's a phenominal amount of things that have changed and very little of what was then would have survived. Despite the frequent fanon to the contray, in reality, I suspect Luna's furniture and personal items (save perhaps some metallic jewellery - maybe) would not have survived through to the present time; unless some serious magical attempts to preserve it were made. (And by serious, just think about how much stuff we currently have dating back to the early Middle-Ages and then realise how little stuff actually last that long.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    S3 Premier Thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the plus side, I loved how the new window in Canterlot Tower focused on Spike saving the crystal ponies. Nice to see the little guy getting some credit for a change. (Also, listen to how concerned Rarity was for her little Spikey-wikey when he was plummeting from the tower. As far as I'm concerned, the Rarilight moments were just Rarity being friendly with her future surrogate-sister-in-law )
    Well said, that pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Spoiler
    Show
    Edit:
    One thing I thought of; Celestia and Luna never actually say it's Twlight's destiny. I think it's entirely possible this was as much a test for Cadance as well as Twilight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't even sure who they were referring to, at the time, I thought it could have been either.

5? this is page 7 since start of episode
    Five since I last looked and saw nearly everypony else had started watching...

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga
    Spoiler
    Show
    we have seen the PNYLAZARS! before...Twi used em in the caves beneath Canterlot
    Just makes it more awesome!

Ye gods, it's half-past-two... So you'll have to wait for any response to my responses until after meditation...

(Also, I think I've spent longer writing about this episode than watching it... *shrug* That's our pony...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-10 at 09:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #627

Crack theories/episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, Twilight Alicorn...
    Pinkie Pie was a gypsy fortune teller...
    DUN DUN DUNNNNN
    Next CMC episode will confirm Sweetie is a robot.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-11-10 at 09:36 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

28. - Top - End - #628

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Crack theories/episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, Twilight Alicorn...
    Pinkie Pie was a gypsy fortune teller...
    DUN DUN DUNNNNN
    Next CMC episode will confirm Sweetie is a robot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rarity's parents wanted another child, so they made a Golem.

Two fan-ideas in one sweet package!
    Show

29. - Top - End - #629
    Colossus in the Playground

New episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, all right. You win this round.

For me, the episode was all about the fact that Celestia knows horrifying shadow necromancy, and now Twilight does too. Those two facts alone can send the fanfiction engine pumping for months.

I liked it. It felt mythic. It felt grand, sweeping. I thought all the music was a total miss but it definitely worked for me as an episode. I also encountered a piece of fanon recently on the creation of Alicorns which got me to not hate Cadence, so that worked out too (though it's not the kind of thing I want to share here).

And nice to see them putting the honesty pony on lying duty. Again.

The horrifying horse-faced Pinkie has already been gif'd

Spoiler
    Show
    OH GOD WHY

I accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I went cleaning my Google Drive today and found this old thing. I haven't had a chance to read through it all again yet, but I do wonder how our thread's proto-fanon has fared through the past couple seasons.
    Writing from the distant past! It burns us!

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Orbital Quote-Post Bombardment!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite his somewhat... destructive finish, I suspect we have't seen the last of Somber. After all, reading between the lines, he got out from being frozen, so he's likely going to come back. (He might be doing a bit of Nazgul-after-the-Ford at the moment though). Also half-expecting some kind of bigger arc, with Celestia's prep and that book maybe foreshadowing something (as well as the staff having dropped hints about "some seasons are more special than others" or something; honestly, I was half-expecting the whole season to be in the Crystal Empire, as some sort of whole arc, so...)

It just occured to me, it's plausible that Sombra is some kind of Undead. I knew I liked him for some reason!
    Re: Sombra/Somber (for the record I prefer the former)
    Spoiler
    Show

I haven't re-watched the episode; but I am pretty sure that in his death-scene they focused on a part of his horn flying a way. If his ability to start using shadows and black crystal is any indication, it is entirely plausible that King Sombra might return at a later date.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC