Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 840 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dirtytabs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Any Elvis is best Elvis, but I'm just saying most portrayals are the later guy, since the younger one doesn't look as exciting unless he's dancing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    And I just remembered: wasn't there a fat pony in a spangly costume in the H&H Day song? Does he count?
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's much too flashy.

    And disco-y, which came after Elvis.
    Last edited by Dirtytabs; 2012-11-13 at 01:53 AM.
    Blargh slaves crystals mine blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

  2. - Top - End - #812
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    erikun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    That is beyond awful. I'm so glad that I'm not reading that fanfiction.
    Except that I'm 90% certain, between that description and other hints so far, that the character is a power-stripped Discord... not the author's OC.

    I'm not interested in follow the story to find out, though. It actually looks rather well written, at least for reading it an hour after midnight. However, the concept just isn't interesting enough for me to keep tabs on, and I'm just not curious enough to care if it is leading the way I suspect or will wander off in its own direction. The writing thus far has the potential to end up meandering along for a half-dozen chapters, poking away at the truth, before finally getting to the point.

    I may take a look at it again, in the future, if I see it mentioned somewhere and recall it.
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread



    A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

  3. - Top - End - #813
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    CrnivorousMeece's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Equestria lol jk
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    On King Sombra
    Spoiler
    Show
    To quote brawlmaster012, a wise Youtuber.

    "People are really missing the point of Sombra's character. Sombra is NOT like Nightmare Moon, Discord, or Queen Chrysalis. He doesn't have a physical form thanks to Celestia and Luna so a direct confrontation would be impossible. His only purpose is as an indirect threat, thus prompting an indirect solution aka the retrieval of the Crystal Heart instead of a battle like so many people seem to have expected. Honestly, if this guy was just another Queen Chrysalis, this episode would've bored me."

    I kinda have to agree with that, after all King Sombra didn't really become physical until he almost had the Crystal Heart which is probably why he didn't attack anyone. Although he did display the ability to use magic so there could have been a magic fight or something, oh well. Too bad he was blown to bits shortly after becoming whole again.

    Plus if you look at him just before he cries out, you'll see that he looks sad, like he's sad to see all that waiting and struggle just to get his body and empire back go to waste after such a short amount of time.
    In the arena of logic I fight UNARMED!!!

    Current Avatar by zimmerwald1915
    Former Avatars by the amazing Dirtytabs
    Former avatar 1

    Former Avatar 2

  4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Okay then, the categories will be:

    Cliche Factor
    Angst Level
    Contrivedness Rating
    Canonical Subversion Factor
    Migitating Factors


    Resonance

    Cliche Factor: 4 "Hero's" family gets knobbled and hero gets cursed by Big Bad for trying to kill him. Fairly cliche, but not as bad as it could be (also see migitating factors). "Hero" could be a steriotypical grizzled action-RPG hero or something (didn't God of War start out something like this...?) who shouts angrily a lot. It hasn't got there yet, but seems likely to be using enchantant as brain-washing.
    Angst Level: 4 The whole family thing, plus either deep wankst over family loss or "not-his-fault" enchantment for the fall.
    Contrivedness Rating: 2 Aside from putting Somber Notes in a direct position to attract Discord's personal attention (by trying to assassninate him), it's at least moderately plausible logic.
    Canonical Subversion Factor: 2 Discord using petrification. I'm only giving this a minor one because as a creature of chaos, he seems likely to do anything once or twice.
    Migitating Factors: -1.5 Discord is definately CE here, so there's that, and he did had at least one line that made me laugh (a very long long CANTERLOCK laugh that ended with "*snip*AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHEEHAHAHA bored now").

    Final score: 10.5 Unfinished, and while not "good" I am at least willing to watch it for a couple more chapters to see if it modifies the rating.



    I'll get to that other one later, from the looks and sounds of it it could be very tiresome, but I suppose I need to look at something while I'm grinding on the Hidden Hollows in B2...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-13 at 07:20 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Out of curiosity, how will you keep the parasprites from devouring the vacuum cleaner from the inside out?
    Fill it with cotton candy first?

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Dusk Eclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In the ruins of San de So
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    On the subject of promises to Ponythread...

    Some of you may remember about a year ago, I extended the challenge of "How long until I screw up and say 'somepony' instead of 'somebody'?" Sort of a little challenge to see how long until ponies absolutely corrupted my brain. Well, I just did.

    The only problem is I was talking to myself. Alone. With the door closed. But it was still an honest-to-goodness slip-up. I meant to say, out loud, "somebody", and out came "somepony." But I was technically talking to myself, which some may argue that means my defenses were naturally down, and thus, doesn't count. So I'm turning it over to you all: Should I call this the moment when I finally slipped up, or should I wait until I'm talking with others and it happens?
    I'm not sure if I should be grateful that English isn't my native tongue, that way I can avoid those slips of tongue, though I am curious on how all the puns are translated. Maybe I should give the dub another chance.
    Just call me Dusk
    Avatar by Ceika

    Iron Chef Trophy:
    Spoiler
    Show



  7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    It's sure better than trying to explain a pony baking cynaide or explosives. Unless that is the kind of fic you are writing...
    "My Little Pony, a Michael Bay production"


    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    So I'm turning it over to you all: Should I call this the moment when I finally slipped up, or should I wait until I'm talking with others and it happens?
    Well now that you let the pony out of the bag... might as well call it there. Though really, I don't think it's much of a slip-up. Then again, I'm teaching my daughter to use "Flying Feather" as a curse word instead of the usual mainstream words so what do I know?


    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytabs View Post
    Any Elvis is best Elvis, but I'm just saying most portrayals are the later guy, since the younger one doesn't look as exciting unless he's dancing.
    That and (at least for many Americans) the latter Elvis is easier to cosplay proportion-wise.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

    Quote Resume:
    Spoiler
    Show

    "For your astounding work in the field of punnery, you have been awarded one (1) internet." -Lix Lorn
    "Truly, there is nothing more terrifying than a DM with a sense of humour." -The Succubus
    "No pretty sure he thinks he's Digo Dragon." -Pinkie Pie
    "Digo, you're a liar and a scoundrel." -NeroGrimm


    Custom Avatar by me - My OC Changeling, Zeeps!

  8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Empress Trixie's GalCiv2 update:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Luna,

    War in the galaxy is commonplace now in the 11th year. Empire versus empire, neighbor versus neighbor, all over the small rocky bits of barely useful flotsam they call “resources”. Indeed, it seems the biggest tradable commodity on the galactic market right now are bullets.
    Luckily, The Great and Powerful Trixie has the diplomatic skill to stay out of wars, the stolen missile technology to defend my empire, and the vast Unicorn population to keep our nation self-sufficient through these dangerous times.

    Trixie has no dump stat.

    Unfortunately, the galaxy comes with its own agenda—a terrorist organization called “The Jagged Knife” seized control of the local governments across several colony worlds in every empire, including 7 worlds belonging to the Unicorns! Luckily I had troop transports stationed across the Unicorn empire in case of troop transport civil uprising emergency. Not that the Unicorns would ever revolt.
    I’ve enjoyed a 100% popularity rating for the past 4 years.

    Still, no terrorists are going to push the Unicorns around. I managed to seize back 4 of the 7 defected worlds from the Jagged Knife within two months. Two months after that I reclaimed the other 3. The secret to my success was lazy city planning where 6 of those 7 planets didn’t have starport factories to produce starships or defenses for the Jagged Knife the sheer brilliance of proper military planning where I had kept troops stationed in easy reach of my worlds in case of a stealth attack.
    Unfortunately, although I reclaimed my worlds, the Jagged Knife killed off a lot of those planet populations and damaged their infrastructures. Rebuilding has sunk our economy into a depression.

    On the upside, all the other empires around me ended their wars because they’re struggling to reclaim their worlds (Apparently it pays not to build starports on every world). Hopefully the Jagged Knife is kept busy long enough for me to figure out how to get the red out of our bank ledgers.

    Your Great & Powerful Student,
    Trixie Lulamoon
    Digo Dragon - Artist

    Quote Resume:
    Spoiler
    Show

    "For your astounding work in the field of punnery, you have been awarded one (1) internet." -Lix Lorn
    "Truly, there is nothing more terrifying than a DM with a sense of humour." -The Succubus
    "No pretty sure he thinks he's Digo Dragon." -Pinkie Pie
    "Digo, you're a liar and a scoundrel." -NeroGrimm


    Custom Avatar by me - My OC Changeling, Zeeps!

  9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    "My Little Pony, a Michael Bay production"
    Presumably that would be a story about how alien ponies came to Earth wherein, in between difficult-to-follow action sequences, it would be about dozen humans (several of them scantifly clad females with little depth) being pathetic, while the ponies themselves get about five minute's screen time and one line a piece apart from Celestia and maybe Nightmare Moon...

  10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    otakuryoga's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ashland, Kentucky

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Presumably that would be a story about how alien ponies came to Earth wherein, in between difficult-to-follow action sequences, it would be about dozen humans (several of them scantifly clad females with little depth) being pathetic, while the ponies themselves get about five minute's screen time and one line a piece apart from Celestia and maybe Nightmare Moon...
    lets not forget we would see every identifiable ponyville building explode(from multiple angles)
    50% explodey time/50% "dialogue" is about right for Bay 8)
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-11-13 at 11:03 AM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

    And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

    full size avatar

  11. - Top - End - #821
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    erikun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by CrnivorousMeece View Post
    On King Sombra
    Spoiler
    Show
    To quote brawlmaster012, a wise Youtuber.

    "People are really missing the point of Sombra's character. Sombra is NOT like Nightmare Moon, Discord, or Queen Chrysalis. He doesn't have a physical form thanks to Celestia and Luna so a direct confrontation would be impossible. His only purpose is as an indirect threat, thus prompting an indirect solution aka the retrieval of the Crystal Heart instead of a battle like so many people seem to have expected. Honestly, if this guy was just another Queen Chrysalis, this episode would've bored me."

    I kinda have to agree with that, after all King Sombra didn't really become physical until he almost had the Crystal Heart which is probably why he didn't attack anyone. Although he did display the ability to use magic so there could have been a magic fight or something, oh well. Too bad he was blown to bits shortly after becoming whole again.

    Plus if you look at him just before he cries out, you'll see that he looks sad, like he's sad to see all that waiting and struggle just to get his body and empire back go to waste after such a short amount of time.
    Season 3 episode 1+2 spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The problem with Sombra was not that he was an indirect thread. Heck, that perhaps made his encounter a bit more interesting than others. The problem was that he was an ill-defined thread. He's just a big badguy who had done big bad things and threatened with a big bad aura. His entire role could have been accomplished with black billowing smoke and purple crystals; all he really ended up as was a face on said billowing smoke.

    The fact that the episode would've probably ended up stronger if he had been kept in the history books is kind of telling on his character as a whole.
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread



    A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

  12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by CrnivorousMeece View Post
    On King Sombra
    Spoiler
    Show
    To quote brawlmaster012, a wise Youtuber.

    "People are really missing the point of Sombra's character. Sombra is NOT like Nightmare Moon, Discord, or Queen Chrysalis. He doesn't have a physical form thanks to Celestia and Luna so a direct confrontation would be impossible. His only purpose is as an indirect threat, thus prompting an indirect solution aka the retrieval of the Crystal Heart instead of a battle like so many people seem to have expected. Honestly, if this guy was just another Queen Chrysalis, this episode would've bored me."

    I kinda have to agree with that, after all King Sombra didn't really become physical until he almost had the Crystal Heart which is probably why he didn't attack anyone. Although he did display the ability to use magic so there could have been a magic fight or something, oh well. Too bad he was blown to bits shortly after becoming whole again.

    Plus if you look at him just before he cries out, you'll see that he looks sad, like he's sad to see all that waiting and struggle just to get his body and empire back go to waste after such a short amount of time.
    Pretty much agreed. Still as villains go he seemed to just be flat out weaker. I never got the impression that if Twilight failed, that Celestia and Luna wouldn't be able to just finish him off personally.


    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Empress Trixie's GalCiv2 update:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Luna,

    War in the galaxy is commonplace now in the 11th year. Empire versus empire, neighbor versus neighbor, all over the small rocky bits of barely useful flotsam they call “resources”. Indeed, it seems the biggest tradable commodity on the galactic market right now are bullets.
    Luckily, The Great and Powerful Trixie has the diplomatic skill to stay out of wars, the stolen missile technology to defend my empire, and the vast Unicorn population to keep our nation self-sufficient through these dangerous times.

    Trixie has no dump stat.

    Unfortunately, the galaxy comes with its own agenda—a terrorist organization called “The Jagged Knife” seized control of the local governments across several colony worlds in every empire, including 7 worlds belonging to the Unicorns! Luckily I had troop transports stationed across the Unicorn empire in case of troop transport civil uprising emergency. Not that the Unicorns would ever revolt.
    I’ve enjoyed a 100% popularity rating for the past 4 years.

    Still, no terrorists are going to push the Unicorns around. I managed to seize back 4 of the 7 defected worlds from the Jagged Knife within two months. Two months after that I reclaimed the other 3. The secret to my success was lazy city planning where 6 of those 7 planets didn’t have starport factories to produce starships or defenses for the Jagged Knife the sheer brilliance of proper military planning where I had kept troops stationed in easy reach of my worlds in case of a stealth attack.
    Unfortunately, although I reclaimed my worlds, the Jagged Knife killed off a lot of those planet populations and damaged their infrastructures. Rebuilding has sunk our economy into a depression.

    On the upside, all the other empires around me ended their wars because they’re struggling to reclaim their worlds (Apparently it pays not to build starports on every world). Hopefully the Jagged Knife is kept busy long enough for me to figure out how to get the red out of our bank ledgers.

    Your Great & Powerful Student,
    Trixie Lulamoon
    All hail Empress Trixie!
    In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.


    Thanks to Elder Tsofu for my new Lancer Avatar

  13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Pretty much agreed. Still as villains go he seemed to just be flat out weaker. I never got the impression that if Twilight failed, that Celestia and Luna wouldn't be able to just finish him off personally.
    I maintain that this is down to their trying to give Sombra dialogue without simultaneously giving him a character. Nothing he said explained anything about him or made him more interesting, and everything he said made him more ridiculous. He would have been a stronger villain if he'd acted exactly the same, but said nothing and communicated by facial expressions and evil laughter alone.
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "I'm the R to the E to the T-C-O-N, and I change the past so the now makes sense again. I'm Retconlicious!"
    Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels, doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles, wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings, these are a few are my favorite things.
    Humanized stick figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find the full set here.

  14. - Top - End - #824
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Madcrafter's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Vancouver

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Season 3 episode 1+2 spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The problem with Sombra was not that he was an indirect thread. Heck, that perhaps made his encounter a bit more interesting than others. The problem was that he was an ill-defined thread. He's just a big badguy who had done big bad things and threatened with a big bad aura. His entire role could have been accomplished with black billowing smoke and purple crystals; all he really ended up as was a face on said billowing smoke.

    The fact that the episode would've probably ended up stronger if he had been kept in the history books is kind of telling on his character as a whole.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In my opinion, while the job could have been done by evil smoke alone, the fact that it is intelligent is what adds to the sense of tension in the episode, especially at the end. The fact that he doesn't have any development makes it so this doesn't add as much, but an intelligent force of nature is still worse than a normal (magical) one.


    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I maintain that this is down to their trying to give Sombra dialogue without simultaneously giving him a character. Nothing he said explained anything about him or made him more interesting, and everything he said made him more ridiculous. He would have been a stronger villain if he'd acted exactly the same, but said nothing and communicated by facial expressions and evil laughter alone.
    I agree with this view, giving him nothing would have been better than giving him the tiny amount they did, because it wouldn't raise as many questions from the (admittedly over analyzing) audience.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-11-13 at 12:05 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

  15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Alabenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Godspeed.

    I really like his... pompadour?

    And I just remembered: wasn't there a fat pony in a spangly costume in the H&H Day song? Does he count?
    I think that stallion was just a generic "disco guy", rather than elvis.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrnivorousMeece View Post
    On King Sombra
    Spoiler
    Show
    To quote brawlmaster012, a wise Youtuber.

    "People are really missing the point of Sombra's character. Sombra is NOT like Nightmare Moon, Discord, or Queen Chrysalis. He doesn't have a physical form thanks to Celestia and Luna so a direct confrontation would be impossible. His only purpose is as an indirect threat, thus prompting an indirect solution aka the retrieval of the Crystal Heart instead of a battle like so many people seem to have expected. Honestly, if this guy was just another Queen Chrysalis, this episode would've bored me."

    I kinda have to agree with that, after all King Sombra didn't really become physical until he almost had the Crystal Heart which is probably why he didn't attack anyone. Although he did display the ability to use magic so there could have been a magic fight or something, oh well. Too bad he was blown to bits shortly after becoming whole again.

    Plus if you look at him just before he cries out, you'll see that he looks sad, like he's sad to see all that waiting and struggle just to get his body and empire back go to waste after such a short amount of time.
    My rebuttal
    Spoiler
    Show
    The idea of King Sombra being some unstoppable indirect threat by itself isn't the problem, the issue is how they went about portraying him as such. If King Sombra had been some primal, ancient force of evil and corruption from the start then he would have been a much more interesting character. However, because he was initially introduced as some regular, if very evil, unicorn, it was hard to view him as force of nature. Instead, he comes off as a mentally damaged amophus thug, which clearly wasn't what the production staff was going for.



    Also, on a completely unrelated note, I think that if the Hub decides to do the whol "naughty vs. nice" thing again, they should just do an entirely pony version.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

    When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

    My Homebrew


  16. - Top - End - #826
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    erikun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    In my opinion, while the job could have been done by evil smoke alone, the fact that it is intelligent is what adds to the sense of tension in the episode, especially at the end. The fact that he doesn't have any development makes it so this doesn't add as much, but an intelligent force of nature is still worse than a normal (magical) one.
    Season 3 episode 1+2 spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It may have made the episode better. (Arguably: a force of nature can be plenty climatic, and Sombra did not act that intelligent.) However, that doesn't mean it made the character any better.

    You could say that Sombra heightened the tension and suspense in the episode with his presence, but that doesn't make his character any less flat or unmotivated.
    Last edited by erikun; 2012-11-13 at 12:32 PM.
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread



    A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

  17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    It has now been three days; the dullness of Spoiler tags is done away.

    And I have nothing to talk about.

    So here, have some pictures taken from the latest drawfriend found through laborious search of the internet.



    You can't even pretend that this isn't adorable.
    Spoiler
    Show


    I desire this design on a T-shirt, or perhaps a Laptop decal.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Poor Pinkie Pie. She even confuses herself.
    Spoiler
    Show


    R63. It's been three days, and R63 has set in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tiki Snakes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Crystal Wasteland

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    My rebuttal
    Spoiler
    Show
    The idea of King Sombra being some unstoppable indirect threat by itself isn't the problem, the issue is how they went about portraying him as such. If King Sombra had been some primal, ancient force of evil and corruption from the start then he would have been a much more interesting character. However, because he was initially introduced as some regular, if very evil, unicorn, it was hard to view him as force of nature. Instead, he comes off as a mentally damaged amophus thug, which clearly wasn't what the production staff was going for.
    Concerning Rebuttals
    Spoiler
    Show

    Actually, I was assuming that some measure of devolution had very much been implied deliberately. From what we see of his traps and so on, he was clearly quite a cunning fellow back in the day, but now he's been imprisoned for a thousand years as a shadowy blob, he's clearly less than he was. Arguably more conventionally dangerous, but less in most other ways, (including vocabulary!)

    And I kind of enjoyed that, somehow.


    Edit - Ah, finally. Queen Sombra is best Sombra. Well, maybe. We'll see.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-11-13 at 12:46 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Concerning Rebuttals
    Spoiler
    Show

    Actually, I was assuming that some measure of devolution had very much been implied deliberately. From what we see of his traps and so on, he was clearly quite a cunning fellow back in the day, but now he's been imprisoned for a thousand years as a shadowy blob, he's clearly less than he was. Arguably more conventionally dangerous, but less in most other ways, (including vocabulary!)

    And I kind of enjoyed that, somehow.


    Edit - Ah, finally. Queen Sombra is best Sombra. Well, maybe. We'll see.
    Agreed. I mean he was never meant to be an immortal, unlike Luna and Discord, so I doubt he had the mental capabilities to actually survive his own curse to reconquer the Crystal Empire. In the end he was filled with madness, hate, and a mindless desire for power. By that point Angel was smarter then him.
    In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.


    Thanks to Elder Tsofu for my new Lancer Avatar

  20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground
     
    MCerberus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    By that point Angel was smarter then him.
    Angel is just one crossed line away from the pony with the most suppressed rage deciding some of the carnivores like stew isn't he?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show


    Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

    Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

  21. - Top - End - #831
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Madcrafter's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Vancouver

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Cross posting from the drawthread, because Elvis has not yet left the building.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the idea Thanqol.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-11-13 at 01:01 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

  22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground
     
    t209's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    So
    Season 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would you compare My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to the Dark MLP Pilots (especially Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina) after onscreen death of Sombra (or is he?)?
    Edit: what's next to ramp it up? Pegasus Eugenics (non fatal but creepy if you imagine on one fanon that scootaloo might be spartan second class citizen) or Granny Smith's death?
    Last edited by t209; 2012-11-13 at 01:09 PM.
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

  23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tiki Snakes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Crystal Wasteland

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    So
    Season 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would you compare My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to the Dark MLP Pilots (especially Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina) after onscreen death of Sombra (or is he?)?
    Edit: what's next to ramp it up? Pegasus Eugenics (non fatal but creepy if you imagine on one fanon that scootaloo might be spartan second class citizen) or Granny Smith's death?
    I wouldn't, because I have no interest in the franchise's past. At all. So, yeah.
    And neither of those are next.

  24. - Top - End - #834
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Tuesday no more spoiler tags required.

    So Twilight used 'dark' magic. What's the playground consensus? Is it Dark like the pokemon type and there are no consequences to using it and the show will barely mention it again? Or is it possible the season finale villain will be Evil Twilight?

  25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground
     
    MCerberus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Tuesday no more spoiler tags required.

    So Twilight used 'dark' magic. What's the playground consensus? Is it Dark like the pokemon type and there are no consequences to using it and the show will barely mention it again? Or is it possible the season finale villain will be Evil Twilight?
    Obviously the series will end when five of the mane six try in vain to stop the coming of The Party and The Pink One is heralded into their world.


    It will be a cheerful ending!
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-11-13 at 01:27 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show


    Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

    Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

  26. - Top - End - #836
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    erikun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Tuesday no more spoiler tags required.

    So Twilight used 'dark' magic. What's the playground consensus? Is it Dark like the pokemon type and there are no consequences to using it and the show will barely mention it again? Or is it possible the season finale villain will be Evil Twilight?
    Okay, fine.

    Given how so much of the Equestrian universe is tied to emotions, I would think that 'dark' magic is primarily tied to 'dark' emotions. That is, the problem isn't be capable of channeling anger/rage/etc into magic, but doing so on a regular basis. We aren't any more likely to see Twilight turning evil through one use of a spell than seeing Celestia do so for the same reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    So
    Season 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would you compare My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to the Dark MLP Pilots (especially Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina) after onscreen death of Sombra (or is he?)?
    Edit: what's next to ramp it up? Pegasus Eugenics (non fatal but creepy if you imagine on one fanon that scootaloo might be spartan second class citizen) or Granny Smith's death?
    I'm not sure Sombra was any more dead after the episode than he was beforehand. It seems more likely he was just banished, or pushed out into the frozen tundra.

    I've only seen pieces of previous series' movies, so I really wouldn't be able to compare. I highly doubt we'll be seeing eugenics on the show (what movie was ever THAT dark?!) and any death of a character will likely be a sad thing, not scary.
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread



    A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

  27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Tuesday no more spoiler tags required.

    So Twilight used 'dark' magic. What's the playground consensus? Is it Dark like the pokemon type and there are no consequences to using it and the show will barely mention it again? Or is it possible the season finale villain will be Evil Twilight?
    Dark like the Pokemon type. We have no reason to believe otherwise considering how casually Celestia herself used the magic. Furthermore it just looked odd but it's not like it did anything evil besides looking odd. Finally people are overreacting to the whole thing. If anypony could handle dark magic it's Twilight.
    In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.


    Thanks to Elder Tsofu for my new Lancer Avatar

  28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Alabenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Tuesday no more spoiler tags required.

    So Twilight used 'dark' magic. What's the playground consensus? Is it Dark like the pokemon type and there are no consequences to using it and the show will barely mention it again? Or is it possible the season finale villain will be Evil Twilight?
    I think the 'dark' magic that Twilight used could have consequences, as it seems to be powered by fear and hatred, but only if Twlight makes regular use of it. Frankly, I don't foresee it being an issue, as Twlight reverted back to her normal magic fairly quickly.

    Spoilered for Future Episode Reference
    Spoiler
    Show
    That said, if Twilight makes use of the 'dark' magic against Trixie in Magic Duel, than I'd say we may have reason to worry about her, as that would be the most logical time for any foreshadowing about Twilight's overuse of 'dark' magic to occur.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

    When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

    My Homebrew


  29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground
     
    MCerberus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Dark like the Pokemon type. We have no reason to believe otherwise considering how casually Celestia herself used the magic. Furthermore it just looked odd but it's not like it did anything evil besides looking odd. Finally people are overreacting to the whole thing. If anypony could handle dark magic it's Twilight.
    I think the biggest thing about that was that Twilight is developing into some sort of crazy magic sponge, or a "Blue Mage"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show


    Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

    Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

  30. - Top - End - #840
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dirtytabs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    That and (at least for many Americans) the latter Elvis is easier to cosplay proportion-wise.
    Living here, how did I not realize that earlier?

    Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Cross posting from the drawthread, because Elvis has not yet left the building.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the idea Thanqol.
    'Ey, I like the crown-on-star cutie mark. Does he not have a tail?


    Are spoilers off 72 hours after the episode airs, or are they off on Tuesday at a specific time?
    Blargh slaves crystals mine blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •