New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    But given the "lessons" that Luna would have, the show would take a completely different turn. Twilight wouldn't be learning about friendship anymore, she'd be learning about....well, I don't know. Whatever it is, it could change the entire feel of the show.
    I suppose that's true, although I'm not necessarily opposed to such changes myself, depending on the changes.

On the other hand, perhaps it could be as much for Luna's sake. It could be less of a Teacher and Student situation and more of a study group of two, because I bet Luna could do with some friendship lessons of her own, and who better to teach them than Twilight?

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Because I can't see for it to be done in a way that really fits with the show's general feel.

Either A) Twilight is tempted and falls to using Dark Magic for the 'power' which is kinda insulting because Twilight has never been concerned about power, not really. Plus she isn't that weak willed.

B) Twilight rejects her friends and family in order to use Dark Magic for some reason. Which is just annoying because the most important things in her life are her bonds with Celestia, Shining Armor, and the rest of the Mane 6.

I have seen some decent fanfics where Twilight getting corrupted was explored and each time it didn't feel like it could take place in the MLP universe. You know what I mean?
    Someone already suggested that she use it to beat Trixie, which I think is a good idea. Dark Magic is powered by dark emotions, so Twilight gets angry or frustrated enough with the whole thing and taps in the dark magics to win. We've seen plenty of times that Twilight, or anypony really, can get frustrated with the other five some times. And Twilight in particular has shown a tendency to snap under pressure and do really dumb things. We could once again prey on her desire to meet Celestia's (imagined) expectations. Then Twilight goes on a power trip and her friends need to snap her out of it.

EDIT: For example, it's not that much a step from Twilight's role in the pilot or Winter Wrap up organizing things, and her bossing people around. Just a little less self control and decorum.
    Last edited by HamHam; 2012-11-13 at 05:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    Someone already suggested that she use it to beat Trixie, which I think is a good idea. Dark Magic is powered by dark emotions, so Twilight gets angry or frustrated enough with the whole thing and taps in the dark magics to win. We've seen plenty of times that Twilight, or anypony really, can get frustrated with the other five some times. And Twilight in particular has shown a tendency to snap under pressure and do really dumb things. We could once again prey on her desire to meet Celestia's (imagined) expectations. Then Twilight goes on a power trip and her friends need to snap her out of it.
    Beat Trixie?

If that involves new season spoilers then don't tell me.

But from what we saw Trixie has nothing on Twilight's raw power already. If anything it would be Trixie who needs to use dark magic.

If anything the new episode showed that when under pressure Twilight does the right thing. She didn't resort to dark magic to escape the trap she just told Spike to grab the Crystal Heart and go. This is when she thought that doing so would cause her to fail the test and she feared that failure would mean losing Celestia.

Twilight has grown past that fear and to have her fall to it later would be shoddy writing.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Spamalot in the Playground

Hey ponies, remember in the season 2 finale when Chrysalis successfully invaded and Canterlot Fell to the changlings?
    Me neither, but this would make an awesome premise for an RP campaign.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Hey ponies, remember in the season 2 finale when Chrysalis successfully invaded and Canterlot Fell to the changlings?
    I've seen it done better.
    (I'm sure I heard there was a version around somewhere of the whole double episode with this in place.)

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

random thought: Derpy has a pet..is it a googly-eyed Goldfish? or a Flounder?
    (i am leaning toward Flounder)

----------

as for Twilight learning spells from seeing them used...
    Is it not obvious that she has the Marengan technique?

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Having reconciled myself with the weak writing of the premere. I have a new headcanon:

Cadance is not Celestia's niece in a blood related way. She appeared roughly three decades ago (pony life standard time) as a baby alicorn along with the Crystal fragment we saw Celestia possessing. As the last of the line of the Crystal Kingdom, her appearence actually heralded the reappearence of the kingdom itself, hence guards were posted to observe and report upon the frozen north.
    this i like
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This video saddens me!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Nop, it's the Sharengarn, silly, like I've been saying...

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: For example, it's not that much a step from Twilight's role in the pilot or Winter Wrap up organizing things, and her bossing people around. Just a little less self control and decorum.
    Future Episode Spoilers Ahead
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't suggest that Twilight should use dark magic against Trixe in Magic Duel, what I said was that if the writers were planning to have Twilight's use of dark magic become a future plot point, then Magic Duel would be an obvious time to foreshadow as such.
    Personally, I'm probably in the "I hope they don't" camp; the show has already gone over Twilight's tendancy to overdue things when agitated several times, and I don't think a "Twilight goes crazy on dark magic" story would add much.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I've seen it done better.
    (I'm sure I heard there was a version around somewhere of the whole double episode with this in place.)
    That's genuinely terrifying and sad and really creepy. At least the other one had a happy ending and was kinda sweet.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

So here's what I'm going to do: I'll count this as the end of this particular round. Once the piper has been paid, I'll put up another round of wagers for when I mess up in public. And this time, I'll explicitly outline what constitutes a slip-up.

Now to take a look at the bets...

Wow. A good chunk of you had just about zero faith in my willpower. We've got three folks who placed wagers within an hour of the starting date, and another three who had me at a mere 1 1/2 months. Yeesh. In fact, after the season ended, we only had two people still in the running. It looks like, in the end, Gamerlord wins the waiting game with his guess of One Year, as taken from September 17, 2011 (the start of season 2).
    I'd forgotten I gave such a random timeframe for my answer. I can take comfort at least in that Gamerlord chose the same song I probably would of.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Future Episode Spoilers Ahead
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't suggest that Twilight should use dark magic against Trixe in Magic Duel, what I said was that if the writers were planning to have Twilight's use of dark magic become a future plot point, then Magic Duel would be an obvious time to foreshadow as such.
    Personally, I'm probably in the "I hope they don't" camp; the show has already gone over Twilight's tendancy to overdue things when agitated several times, and I don't think a "Twilight goes crazy on dark magic" story would add much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For some reason I think that Twilight using Dark magic in a moment of desperation could work better than as another "twilight becomes nuts", let's assume any villain manages to defeat the princesses and manages to make the Elements of Harmony a non-issue, things are looking so bleak that Twilight has to resort to it.... if anything it could make for a good fanfic.

Awesome image I have to share.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #883
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Nop, it's the Sharengarn, silly, like I've been saying...
    ...Starengarn, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    That's genuinely terrifying and sad and really creepy. At least the other one had a happy ending and was kinda sweet.
    I am still wandering what the heck was up with the windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884
    Bugbear in the Playground

The second changeling wins video is great start for a pony/matrix crossover.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    I pick The Flim Flam Brothers Song as my award.
    Hooooo boy. Good thing I'm a fan of musicals.

I should have something up later next week. I hope I don't disappoint.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Awesome image I have to share.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not pictured: Discord, Chrysalis and Sombra gibbering in fear and they cling to each other with impending-flank-kicking doom.

(With apologies to Earthworm Jim:)

Discord (to Sombra and Chrysalis): I should warn you, this is going to hurt like the dickens.

Sombra and Chrysalis: We figured!

17. - Top - End - #887
    Barbarian in the Playground

random thought: Derpy has a pet..is it a googly-eyed Goldfish? or a Flounder?
    A catfish. A big one. Lives in the lake closest to her home.

Spoiler
    Show
    I kind of hope the dark magic thing isn't dwelt upon in any of the episodes to come. We saw what it was like and could do already, and any sort of storyline that involves Twilight using it doesn't fit the tone of the show.

Good luck, TheAmishPirate, I listen to that song a lot and still can't remember all the words.
    Last edited by Dirtytabs; 2012-11-13 at 09:17 PM.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

Pegasus from MLP and Spartan Culture.
    -Do they practice Eugenics, which I means in nonlethal way since it's a kid show?
    -Are they raised in community from certain age, except they still retain their siblings but don't have parents?
    -Is fluttershy the only pony who decided to live on the ground, I mean she didn't return to cloudsdale?
    -Is Scootaloo a Perioeci, AKA second class spartan who is left to raised by earth ponies or by herself?
    -What is their attitude towards pegasus from mixed parents, I mean spartans kicked out children born from slaves and their wives.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Pegasus from MLP and Spartan Culture.
    -Do they practice Eugenics, which I means in nonlethal way since it's a kid show?
    -Are they raised in community from certain age, except they still retain their siblings but don't have parents?
    -Is fluttershy the only pony who decided to live on the ground, I mean she didn't return to cloudsdale?
    -Is Scootaloo a Perioeci, AKA second class spartan who is left to raised by earth ponies or by herself?
    -What is their attitude towards pegasus from mixed parents, I mean spartans kicked out children born from slaves and their wives.
    In order;

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Not Applicable.

Hope that clears that up for you.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ettin in the Playground

In order;

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Not Applicable.

Hope that clears that up for you.
    Well, Communal raising might be true since we didn't see pegasus with their parents, especially rainbow dash and fluttershy, but they might allow sibling relationship, according to Thunderlane and Rumbles.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #891

New season stuff.

First head-cannon
    Spoiler
    Show

Now head-canon
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've become convinced that the dark forces of evil weren't just after Equestria proper. NMM might have been a wonderful queen of darkness, but the evil whispers from beyond had some other powerful underlings that were corrupted rulers.

Namely, Sombra and Crysalis.
    I wonder if the griffin/zebra societies also had a brush with that sort of stuff in the timeframe
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

22. - Top - End - #892
    Colossus in the Playground

It's Wednesday, we can dispense with spoiler boxes!

So, important issue:

All Crystal Ponies have been asleep or whatever for A THOUSAND YEARS and yet none of them speak in Ye Olde Englishe like Luna.

Does this add credence to the Trollestia theory?

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

So, important issue:

All Crystal Ponies have been asleep or whatever for A THOUSAND YEARS and yet none of them speak in Ye Olde Englishe like Luna.

They forgot their Ye Olde Englishe along with everything else from Sombra's reign.

Then, once back to normal, they forgot to remember it again.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-11-13 at 11:45 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

24. - Top - End - #894

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    They forgot their Ye Olde Englishe along with everything else from Sombra's reign.

Then, once back to normal, they forgot to remember it again.
    This is consistent with pony logic.
    Also Luna was using ROYAL CANTERLOT dialect.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

So, important issue:

Nah Shining Armor taught them how to speak normally when Twilight was on the way there.

Ends up being in a state of cursed forgetfulness is great for your ability to learn.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

So, important issue:

It certainly adds possible fuel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Also Luna was using ROYAL CANTERLOT dialect.
    Which is to say, it's quite clear that ponies talked the same a thousand years ago. So, most likely Royal Canterlot Voice was only ever a thing for Royals in Canterlot, specifically for talking to their subjects.

The only question is whether Celestia failed to remember this, as it was a thousand years ago and she hasn't heard Royal Canterlot Talk for a thousand years, or specifically didn't say because Trollestia. I'm not convinced there is a third option.

Also, yeah, I've aparently totally head-canon'ed the thing where Celestia considers everything longer than a couple of decades or so to be A Thousand Years Ago.

EDIT - Hey any questions yet Strife?
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-11-14 at 12:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

They really can't keep doing the formula that strictly, I would say. There's not an infinite number of one paragraph long morals about friendship out there.

Just like Lesson Zero expanded the focus to the other characters, I think it would make sense to broaden it further to other life lessons not necessarily directly related to friendship as a concept.
    Yeah, the Lesson Zero thing makes sense. But, it's not about her lessons, it's about the entire premise of the show changing. Instead of an episode where things happen and twilight learns about friendship, what will she be learning now?

Besides, Scrubs pulled that off for eight seasons. My roommate actually said that in a way, Scrubs was a pre-FIM because of the lessons. I always found Scrubs' "lessons" to be incredibly vague and usually just repeats of eariler ones.

So, important issue:

I thought Luna's speech was related to her being royalty. I'm pretty sure not everything spoke that way back then. Discord sure didn't, and he ruled for awhile.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

The Hub released a very short 15 second promo of the season as a whole. it's mostly stuff we've already seen in other promos for the season, except for one rather curious thing that we can see for a second or two. *SPOILERS-lite*
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, by the looks of things,the CMC have gone to the crystal empire. Either that, or one hell of a dream sequence. Either way, this should be interesting.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-11-14 at 06:23 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

She's not angsty enough, hax enough, or sueish enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Now head-canon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Namely, Sombra and Crysalis.
    I wonder if the griffin/zebra societies also had a brush with that sort of stuff in the timeframe
    ...three rings for the griffon kings under the sky,
    Seven for the dog-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for mortal ponies doomed to lie,
    One for the Chaos on his chocolate throne,
    In the land of madness where friendship dies,
    One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the land of madness where friendship dies.

Also, yeah, I've aparently totally head-canon'ed the thing where Celestia considers everything longer than a couple of decades or so to be A Thousand Years Ago.
    Love it. Canon'd.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    The Hub released a very short 15 second promo of the season as a whole. it's mostly stuff we've already seen in other promos for the season, except for one rather curious thing that we can see for a second or two. *SPOILERS-lite*
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, by the looks of things,the CMC have gone to the crystal empire. Either that, or one hell of a dream sequence. Either way, this should be interesting.
    Future Episode speculation
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have the synopsis for the Scootaloo episode saying something about campside horror stories and nightmares. Perhaps this is from one of these stories, or one of Scootaloo's nightmares?